Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorbestdani
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2016

The tutorial by SecretImbecile should be a good start (it's also listed in the NL2 Resource thread btw).
    • CommentAuthorDelay
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2016

Just a question.

Are NL2SCOs /NL2MATs dependent of the .dae/textures(or whatever you need in mats) or are they completely seperate?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2016

It's not completely clear what your question is about, but maybe this more general answer covers it.

You have to specify a mode file in the NL2SCO file, so you cannot have a NL2SCO without any model (.dae, .3ds or .lwo afaik). You also need a NL2SCO file to apply a NL2MAT.

Because you have to select which material(s) of the model should be replaced by which NL2MAT you have some depedency here (if the NL2SCO is set up to replace the material "mat1" of the model by a NL2MAT and you load a model that only has a material "notmat1" then you'll get an error), the same holds for defining clippings or when you configured lights in the NL2SCO that are created by the model files or use parent elements of the model.

In the NL2MAT you can specify how textures should be loaded, there's the option to specify the texture directly by a path or use the textures of the model, as far as I know it's no problem to choose the "from model file" option when the NL2MAT is used with a model that does not specify any.
    • CommentAuthorDelay
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2016

What size should an image be that has been created in GIMP? 128x128 or 127x127?

GIMP begins with XY 0 and ends at the given size (128 or 127).
    Textures should be sized in powers of two, that is: 128x128, 256x256, 512x512, 1024x1024, 2048x2048, 4096x4096, etc. or a mixture of two of those lengths e.g. 2048x512. 128x128 is pretty small by modern texture standards though, so I'd start with 1024x1024 textures.
    • CommentAuthorDelay
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2016 edited

^It's a sensor bumpmap. A 1024x1024 texture for 4cm would be a waste.
    yeah, that's fine then, 64x64 even might do for something that small.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly
    • CommentTimeAug 3rd 2016

Hey guys, I'm having an issue if anyone could help? For some reason a part of my model has no collision whatsoever. The strange thing is that the point where the collision drops off isn't matching up with the polys, like it's in the middle of a face rather than on the edge.
    • CommentAuthoriHack97
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2016

Hey, Is it possible to make global illumination lighting ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2016 edited

^ In NL2? If your renderer can bake the lighting into textures (blender's cycles renderer can do it for example for free) you can use static global illumination. With alot of trickery you could probably even get some dynamics to some extent. You maybe also want to have a look at the "NL2 Global Illumination!" Thread and I've also experimented with it recently. In this video of a test scene you can see a baked lightmap in combination with two NL2 lights that are used to get some (subtle) specular reflections and the bloom and volume effect.
    • CommentAuthorSvatlas
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2016

Iam working on taron coaster fence. I dont rebuild klugheim :) Its the next part for my little park.

Posted By: SvatlasI dont rebuild klugheim

;( Looks great btw :)
    • CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2016

Little something i whipped up last night..

some_text
    • CommentAuthorDelay

I know that illusions like this have a lot to do with perspektive, but this is absolutely seamless...

Nice!
    • CommentAuthorMr. E

^^Can we see how you did that?
    Is there any way to import a no limits track into sketch up to build scenery around it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc

^ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rTfQ2Hct-Y
    •  
      CommentAuthorZergei

The impossible triangle is practically my version of a graffiti tag, I draw it quite a lot! I'm quite sure I know how it's done, but I'll let you answer for yourself :)
    ^^ I use the light pattern creator, import into blender and then export it to DAE to use in Sketch up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc

^ That's what the tutorial is for except instead of needing Blender to do the conversion, he uses an online converter which is simpler.
    @Womp: My head hurts lol.
    ^^ Oh cool. Simpler is always better, Usually.
    • CommentAuthorWomp83

Posted By: DelayI know that illusions like this have a lot to do with perspektive, but this is absolutely seamless...

Nice!

Yeah, i made sure to angle it as neatly as i could. Thanks. I was originally going to try the 3 pillar one (whatever it's called), but wasn't sure if or how i'd be able to make it work.

Posted By: Mr. E^^Can we see how you did that?

Here you go.
    I added a floor plane so there's shadows, and included a reverse view so you can see how it actually looks.

Lol DB, don't think about it too much.
    • CommentAuthorMr. E

I'm just going to ask my same question here because it fits better here but, does anyone use the CSV export file in sketchup?
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2016 edited

Texturing a station for a dive coaster. Ten internet points if you can guess where I drew my inspiration.
    • CommentAuthorInkyz
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2016

Hi Banshee. Nice of you to drop in. /joke

In all seriousness though that's starting to look really good!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBasilisk

I made a 15 square metres apartement. :)

•  
      CommentAuthorrcth

Switch the tv and the couch, place the tv on a rotatable stand and you can watch from both your bed and the couch!
    ^THIS
    •  
      CommentAuthorBasilisk

the light from outside would reflect on the tv screen. which makes it hard to watch tv. But i like the idea!
    That's too much living space! Lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2016

Hey guys look, I'm N7!
    • CommentAuthorDelay
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2016

^That looks really good!
    I tried to use the light pattern to import my coaster into sketch up but the only file type I see is .nl2maqt and it doesn't accept that in the converter.
    •  
      CommentAuthoriSatnav
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2016 edited

Convert the .lwo file into a .dae using the converter on greentoken.de or load it into Blender.

EDIT: Here http://www.greentoken.de/onlineconv/
    I tried using it but nl2 doesn't make .lwo files
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2016

Huh really? Then what in the hell was I importing into blender all these times...
    I followed a step by step video and looked in my he directory where i saved my light pattern.but it didnt show up, is there a special directory for them?
    • CommentAuthorInkyz
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2016

Did you click Generate?
    Yes, does generate sco have to be ticked? Or does it work if i click generate normally?
    • CommentAuthorInkyz
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2016

Yeah tick generate sco.
    Thank you! I thought i needed to do that but ignored it :p
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2016 edited

It may not be perfect, but it looks the part and looks better than supports.
    • CommentAuthorMilBee
    • CommentTimeAug 20th 2016

^I cannot wait to see this done! :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorZergei
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2016

1) How do you animate models in Sketchup?
    2) How do you get animated textures that work in the simulator?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBasilisk
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2016

^-you cant
    -NLmat editor
    Hi! I'm new here. Are there any 3D files (I use Blender) and/or scripts of coasters with all the part names because I can't find any good examples. ^^'
    I would like to make something like this:

...actually functional. That image is just the 3D models placed on the track. It's styled after a 4-4-0 narrow gauge steam train. My nefarious plan is to make the undercarriage of the cars (and the pilots wheels in the front of the engine) as separate parts from the couplings.
    •  
      CommentAuthorminuseven
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2016

What's the best way to design a station for a coaster? Using sketchup, what's the best way to make sure a station you design has the right measurements?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2016 edited

^ Should be independent of the modelling software: Not sure if this is "the best" method but I peronally like to use a 1m * 1m * 1m cube and scale it in the editor to get the dimensions from the scale factor.

The best way to design it totally depends on your intentions and how it can be achieved in Sketchup (your modelling / texturing software in general).
    How do you make a transparent surface in sketchup?