Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorminuseven
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2016

Thanks for the reply, but it's not quite what I'm looking for. I'll blame that on my wording.

A more accurate question would be, how do I model it so it fits well with my ride? I've tried in the past and I've had all sorts of issues including platforms not lining up or everything being at a slightly wrong angle. It's probably something that gets better the more you do it, but there must be some sort of way to model it around your ride as opposed to going back and forth between NL2 and the software you're modeling in. Is there a way to export the shape of your coaster like the Construction Kit used to let you do (I think? I wasn't really that far into NL back then)?
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2016

Well I mean you could always use the light pattern creator and model around that. There are plenty of tutorials on YT.
    ^^ I 2nd waht Olmisery says, it works great to export the track and then model around it.

Posted By: DiamondBayonet How do you make a transparent surface in sketchup?

Use Glass Texture or use the transparency slider on the material. But to get it to show up in NL you have to have Sketchup Pro and export it was a .3ds. Glass objects aren't transparent in .dae format.
    oh I don't have pro.
    • CommentAuthorRCW
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2016

That is actually unnecessary UCC, if you create the texture and apply a material to the glass through the SCO and MAT editor, you can achieve a transparent texture by using the Alpha and Blend tab in the MAT editor.
    • CommentAuthorWomp83

RCW speaks the truth. Plus, i export all my models as .dae files, and they work fine when i have to make something transparent. .dae is actually better than .3ds format. Or at least that's what i've found so far.

Posted By: minusevenThanks for the reply, but it's not quite what I'm looking for. I'll blame that on my wording.

A more accurate question would be, how do I model it so it fits well with my ride? I've tried in the past and I've had all sorts of issues including platforms not lining up or everything being at a slightly wrong angle. It's probably something that gets better the more you do it, but there must be some sort of way to model it around your ride as opposed to going back and forth between NL2 and the software you're modeling in. Is there a way to export the shape of your coaster like the Construction Kit used to let you do (I think? I wasn't really that far into NL back then)?

Posted By: OlmiseryWell I mean you could always use the light pattern creator and model around that. There are plenty of tutorials on YT.

I've never actually used the light pattern creator to do that before. Should try it some time.

But what i do is this. I use un-frozen support beams to measure key parts of the default station for the ride i'm working on (highlight the beam to find out it's length) and create a 'base' or building foundation using those measurements. Works first time, every time.
    So I've been trying to figure out the best way to do a Barber Style Pole and get the colors to spiral as they do up the pole. Does anyone here have a good technique to accomplish this?
    ^software?
    Sorry Sketch up.
    Then I don't know.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani

It should be independent of the software how to achieve this: I think the most easy way would be to use some kind of cylindrical projection for your UV map and then you've just to create a texture where the stripes match at the UV seam (I think Inkscape is a great choice to quickly create such a texture, but even ms paint should be able to do this job with some fiddeling with the line tool).
    Sketchup have not a really good uv system
    • CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2016 edited

^ Lol JL, Sketch up has no UV system..

Posted By: UtahCoasterRiderSo I've been trying to figure out the best way to do a Barber Style Pole and get the colors to spiral as they do up the pole. Does anyone here have a good technique to accomplish this?

I can think of 2 ways. One of which won't work with Sketch up (keyframe animation) so i'll tell you the other method which uses NL2 materials, specifically, a fake animated texture.

Create an NL2mat for your spiral texture you've applied to the pole. Then go into the NL2mat editor, textures tab, and click setup for the top texture unit. Click the T.C. Mod tab, check the box for mod stage 1, and click setup.
    Select scroll then play with numbers in each of the 2 boxes until you have a vertical scrolling texture (it should be the 'Speed T:' box for vertical movement) any figure between 0 and 1 should give you a decent speed. Doing this will cause the texture/material to scroll in a specified direction, so make sure you're not using that specific material anywhere else on the model except where you need it to move.

I hope this helps you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2016 edited

Wasn't the question how to create and place the spiral texture (on a static cylinder object) or did I get that wrong?

If it's about animation: You can also just use an actual rotion for the object. You can also achieve that by just using the nl2mat editor by adding a rotation in the "Deform Vertices" tab.
    ^ your right its about making it on a static cylinder object.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani
    • CommentTimeAug 31st 2016 edited

Ok then you should try to achieve what I recommended before. Here's an example:
    On the right you see the final 3d result with the UV seam marked in red, on the left you can see the Inkscape window with the UV layout and some helper lines which were hidden before exporting the texture.

http://i.imgur.com/wF2wxBp.png

I think that's the fastest and cleanest way how to achieve it in general. Someone else is hopefully able now to tell you how to get the same result with Sketchup's "not really good uv system" which I don't know.
    • CommentAuthoriHack97

Hey,

Is there someone who knows how to make this kind of dome structure ?

Hebergeur d'image
    ^^ Thanks that worked perfect. Its the simplest ways that work the best. I was over thinking it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani

Those who read the WTF thread will recognize it: ;-)
    http://i.imgur.com/fBXF5jd.png?1

I'll probably continue tomorrow with some details (the textures also need some tweaking).
    In the meanwhile I wanted to ask for some ideas how I could make this head while keeping a reasonable polycount (a really "w(e)ir(e)d" head), I'll definitly add some wires to the model (that get clipped) but modelling every wire of the head will be probably too much even when I use LODs. My idea was to use some rough geometry with alpha tested textures.
    Any better ideas?
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery

YES.

PLEASE.
    make this an official ride for nl2 please
    Hahahah awesome :p
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2016

Will that The Top coney island coaster tilting ride be made for NL2 I really hope?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2016 edited

I think the result with the alpha tested textures looks quite good, all the modelling work done, now it's time to import it in NL2 and do some NL2 related texture settings and finally create the script:

http://i.imgur.com/MKImC07.png

Next update will be probably in the "What did you just do..." thread and the release in my objects thread will probably follow soon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery

This is officially my favourite NL2 flat.

BY FAR.
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan

Will you use walkmode and grab a 3d leaf blower to start each horse pulse engine?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani

^ No that's an advanced version that uses auto ignition.
    • CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2016

Found this in my folder of Blender projects and realised i hadn't done much on it lately cause i really don't know the first thing about modelling a car, let alone a decent car. Cause this is the first one i've attempted.
    So i thought i'd show what i had so far.

Lambo countach1

But what i really wanted to show was this.

Lambo countach2

I found a node setup for a slightly metallic car paint material one night, and that's what i've used on it. But with a few colour adjustments, you can get a pretty neat chameleon style colour shift paint effect.
    So yeah, that's that.
    • CommentAuthorKyle Sloane
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2016 edited

Just started with making my own custom photo-scanned textures and tessellation maps.. This is like the holy grail for anything natural look!! Check out this tree bark!

https://gyazo.com/5c0d6ffb8aa34e55ad46efa8d74d584e
    https://gyazo.com/e38388547bce82ed8d752c0f397a417f
    https://gyazo.com/8b3d7f5a472f066edb6b0ff7728ac26a

Cant wait to do cliff faces...
    • CommentAuthorMr. E
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2016 edited

How even........

How many polys? And are those going into N7's trees?
    ^Its tesselation, aka a cylinder with a fancy 3d texture..
    • CommentAuthorMr. E
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2016

^Thanks, I don't know a whole lot about texturing
    • CommentAuthorTheBeatles
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2016 edited

TIL 3D textures are a thing. Looks awesome!
    • CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2016

Posted By: Kyle SloaneJust started with making my own custom photo-scanned textures and tessellation maps.. This is like the holy grail for anything natural look!! Check out this tree bark!

Looks like nSeven has to step up his game..
    Nice tree Mr. Sloane.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJL NoLimits
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2016 edited

https://gyazo.com/6221a47965e6402446a0c635fca1e975
    Trying to optimize before modeling to much.
    Yes, the ground is one big 3d model in the form of rocks.
    114000 vertices, 204000 faces and 204000 tris is the ground model alone :(
    https://gyazo.com/491f9894cee23221f7c9b15dc82d4579 https://gyazo.com/9ed8c0f30a83a4465c2cdbfd7765d790

Edit: night
    https://gyazo.com/1a1cd17c1643de673618bf86f9b6ba30
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2016 edited

^ I think you should not have the ground modelled unless you have a very good reason to do it and if you have you should at least use LODs where ground planes some meters away are just two triangles. But maybe using these planes with a baked normal map from the high polygon model for the whole ground is already deatailed enough in every case.
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2016

I don't think you'd even notice if it was just a normal map. I agree with bestdani, it doesn't seem necessary to have the ground modeled
    •  
      CommentAuthorZergei
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2016

You could also use an extreme bump map on a texture to save so much render time, if that would work (I'm new to the NL2 model editing)
    ^I wish nl2 could do that.

Also. Blender 2.78 is out!
    • CommentAuthoriHack97
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2016

Hey^^ Yeah I just install it. I wish that nl2 supports tesselations ..
    • CommentAuthoriHack97
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2016

Is it possible to make accurate lighting with env ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorJL NoLimits
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2016 edited

For anyone wanting to learn some very powerful basic stuff in blender.

Also I learned some new things in this video :D
    • CommentAuthoriCoaster44
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2016

Outdoor Bose Speaker that I modelled in Blender, I made the texture myself.
    The high LOD is 1386 faces and the low LOD is 337 faces.

photo PMspeaker_zpsnk6ovjss.png

Very cool, it looks great. I'd recommend an even lower lod though, add these guys are typically tucked away in bushes and can't be seen
    • CommentAuthoriCoaster44
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2016 edited

I've added a very low LOD of 155 faces and it looks good from mid-range/far. Is it enough ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

155 faces should be perfect. Afaik, trees, rocks and things alike are around that many polys at the lowest and I've never seen an issue with them. They look great though, good job!

• CommentAuthorA113

one month in maya later

• CommentAuthorjakecallan
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2016

I'm not half as talented as some of the modelers here but here is an effort at making an Intamin prefab train which eventually will be placed on an Irish themed woodie I'm building. The boogies need major work but I'm pretty happy with the car I think. Anyone know of any decent reference images to an Intamin woodie bogie?
    • CommentAuthorRCW
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2016

So I'm learning Solidworks... So here is a current WIP.
    https://gyazo.com/f1fdf884afbf4b639c6f20c3575a53fc
    • CommentAuthoriHack97
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2016 edited

Hey guys, I want to animate my frictions wheels by keyframe

so i animate it on blender, but once I imported the 3d file on NoLimits....

Can anyone help me to solve this problem?