Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

YES!

I like the look of the rocks :)
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2017

Can someone make a cigarette vending machine pack? I need more vending machines to sell more fags and joints at my Cigarette World.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZergei
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2017 edited

^ Selling gay people isn't lawful you know, plus I doubt they fit in vending machines...
    I'm aware that fags is the British term for cigarettes, 'tis a joke
    • CommentAuthorTheBeatles
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2017

@RCW, that looks incredible, I really can't wait to see how the rest of the car shapes up!
    @JLNoLimits, definitely make a pack! Having various rocks like that would be nice.
    @Zergei, not cool.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

Damn JL that looks SICK! A pack would be super useful, and you'd surely find me using them in my projects :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorHafizBazzi

@Joseph I don't find his joke offensive in the slightest.

Happy as I may be that you aren't offended, I still don't think it's cool.
    • CommentAuthorBigbad

I'd definitely use those rocks!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani

Posted By: JL NoLimitsSo, this is a stone made for nl2
    They look really good. For a rock set I would suggest to also create some different shapes like more smoothed ones and some with less "micro" displacement but sharp edges.

Posted By: JL NoLimitsAll is made with blenders material editor.
    That's great! Now I understand your post in the WDYJD thread.
    ^All those yes for rock pack^

Yes, I will make it.

@bestdani You really think it will only be that one rock >:) Evil laughing
    There can already be found the second rock in the set. You just need to find it ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani

Posted By: bestdaniThey look really good.
    ;-)

Not actually 3d modelling but general CG work: I'm currently trying to render a water fountain loop using blender cycles. That's one frame of my latest result and I'm starting to becoming happy with the results - but any further tips / ideas to improve it?
     photo Feb 17 2017 Progress_zpstwou28hy.png

This is the centerpiece of the park I am working on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJL NoLimits
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2017 edited

Here is another rock. It looks way better in nl2 then this, I prommis you.

Edit: Why not you show it then...
    Here in nl2.
    Project: Vliegende Hollander Efteling By: NolimitsProjects

I'm busy with the Station now ;)

• CommentAuthorMaverick78
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2017

After Sasquatch, I make a new S&S Combo tower because I'm a huge fan! Maliboomer was my favorite one and I really miss it.
    So I try to make a new one for Tokyo Disney Sea as an example because it would be great there!
    Hope you like it, suggestions for names are welcome.

photo 1.png
     photo 2.png
     photo 4_3.jpg
     photo 3.png
    • CommentAuthorDelay

Well, I've given up on modelling. Probably never going to open Blender up again.
    • CommentAuthorA113

that's definitely the spirit
    • CommentAuthorDelay

^Sarcasm attempt? Not funny. At all.
    How can you say that, even if it is sarcasm? All it does is prove that this decision was correct. Why should I do something that frustrates me? I already made this decision with art/drawing.

I really want to draw, improve on the (non-existant) skills I have there. I fail catastrophically -> I give up.
    I really want to do 3D-modelling, I want to create something, anything, NL2-related or not. I fail even worse -> I give up.

It was the best and most logical choice. For both.
    @Delay and anyone else, feel free to PM or whisper me if you want some help getting started with blender, Ive found a lot of good resources over the years.

I strongly believe its the best CG software out there and highly recommend pushing through any hurdles...

@Delay, it's funny to me that you expect people to take you seriously when you post a random, self-depricating post for attention in a thread DEDICATED to helping people better their skills.

Rather than aimlessly seeking attention, why not explain where your shortcomings are, or describe ways in which you would like to improve? That way, we as a community can help you get to that point, as people like Kyle Sloane have already attempted to do.

Also, I hate to break it to you, but "catastrophic failure" as you call it is the only way anybody ever improves their skills. Nobody is born with the knowledge of 3D modeling, we all have to learn, constantly, how to expand our talents. If you let your failures bring you down, you're never going to get better. Failing is literally the best thing that can happen to you while you're learning, because that's how you learn in the first place. Trying, failing, fixing.

That said, what are some skills that you feel you need to improve? Show us pictures of your "catastrophic failures", and maybe we can offer advice and critiques to help turn them into catastrophic successes :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorZergei

I look at Sketchup and feel comfortable, and look at Blender and see madness. I know it looks complicated and overwhelming, but I plan to dedicate time to learn it so I can make the things I dream of making. So far I've given up on any attempts, but I know how important it could be for my future! Look past the visible challenges and go at your goal, and don't stop until you've reached it. Once you get there, keep on running with it! I expect to fail, and the experience is going to be much more gratifying than what I make. I hope you stick with it!
    • CommentAuthorDelay

Posted By: ZergeiI hope you stick with it!

Unfortunately, that's very unlikely. I went from "Let's do something in Blender, should be fun!" to "whatever, it'll be horrific anyway" in just 5 to 7 models.

The latest model, from just yesterday, was something as simple as a light switch with a plug below it (admittingly a plug is a bit more difficult). Went well, until the switch (without plug). I would even go so far and say "It's impossible".
    Then I go to google, type in "light switch with plug model" and I see exactly what I wanted to do myself, in 100x better execution.

A light swith is "a roughly 5° tilted box inside of another box (that's attached to a wall)", so it should be more than easy. And yet I still manage to mess it up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

When I have troubles with how to shape out something (it's a common issue actually) I tend to watch videos online of either timelapses or tutorials of people doing similar things, and take note of what methods they're using to accomplish that, etc etc.

The first year of modeling is always hard, we've all been through it. I've been at it for a few years now and i'm just starting to get comfortable with it. You don't just instantly get good, practice is key.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2017 edited

^^ OMG guess what! The person who did it maybe already created several hundred models before and maybe the result you see there is his or her 10th attempt. Do you really expect you can make a model out of the box without any training and failing in between? Being not satisfied with the result and redoing some steps or whole models is quite common and I'm sure that even experienced professional workers are still faced with that.

Maybe also blender isn't the right choise for you, you can use the free trials of other 3d suites to find out if that's maybe the case and you enjoy learing (and failing - will also happen there) in these more.
    • CommentAuthorDelay

Posted By: bestdaniThe person who did it maybe already created several hundred models before

This actually was part of the text in the first iteration. I thought it was unnecessary to add afterwards.

Posted By: bestdaniDo you really expect you can make a model out of the box without any training and failing in between?

Of course I don't expect to be "good" at something instantaneously. But when you end up with something completely different, it doesn't depend on practice. Something went wrong in the entire concept, I just don't know where.

Posted By: bestdaniBeing not satisfied with the result and redoing some steps or whole models is quite common

I had to redo huge parts of it because the un/redo feature didn't go back far enough. If I know I can only do so many changes before redoing the mesh is inevitable, where's the "freedom"?
    • CommentAuthorA113
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2017 edited

Some software have preferences where you can switch between finite and infinite undos, if you find a problem, seek out resources online. Providing images helps. A negative attitude (which, by the way, isn't the first time I've seen this from you) is unproductive for both your own growth and for other people to help, as TheBeatles has stated. Try to state your problem clearly and ask for solutions rather than saying you failed and feeling hopeless. This is attention seeking and unhelpful for a discourse.

This is also not the first time the community has offered valuable insight to you, and almost every time from you I see you cherrypicking the negative. I suggest changing your approach and attitude, as it can come across as disrespectful to some members who actually sacrifice their own time to learn software, learn to script, and learn to be a better designer, all while at least maintaining a positive, engaged, and inquisitive spirit.

@Delay, it's starting to look like you're actively ignoring/refuting people who are trying to help you. What exactly do you want us to say?
    • CommentAuthorDelay

I am NOT ignoring help. Why should I, does it make the situation any better?

This "conversation" isn't really going anywhere, either. And as A113 already said, I'm also getting some flashbacks from things I'd no longer like to mention. To avoid such a disaster from happening again (even though the trigger was something kinda different): let's just leave it the way it is now. No "You want to have the last word" posts please, since you'd prevent the topic from being left behind.
    • CommentAuthorRCW
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2017

Only a few more things left to do (including somehow learning how to create organic models so rip me).
    https://gyazo.com/2def2a4103ab0405ee0b47e2b40ab689
    Posted By: MrcrollyWhen I have troubles with how to shape out something (it's a common issue actually) I tend to watch videos online of either timelapses or tutorials of people doing similar things, and take note of what methods they're using to accomplish that

This and this x1000... how to learn blender 101
    • CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2017

Posted By: ZergeiI look at Sketchup and feel comfortable, and look at Blender and see madness.

I'm completely the opposite, lol. I see madness in the eyes of Sketchup..

For anyone who may find it useful, you can adjust the undo history in Blender, so you can go back further if you have to. File > User Preferences > Editing tab, and it's in there. Alternatively, you can save your work at a point/points where you're comfortable with what you've done, and if you mess up you can just re-load and go from there. Do a bit, save, do a bit more, save etc.

I've probably said this before somewhere in this thread, but i can't be bothered going back to find it. So i'll just say it again. I have a feeling that the main thing that frustrates people about Blender, and correct me if i'm wrong, is the way the default mouse controls are set. Yes, it's quite unorthodox to use the right button to select everything, unless you're left handed, and it did start to shit me at first. But you can change it. Once again, go to the User Preferences, click the Input tab and on the left side is a box saying Select With: Left / Right. Change it to left, and i'm sure it will feel much more comfortable.
    A number of people on here use Blender, myself included. If anyone needs help with it or just some pointers, feel free to ask any of us.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcth
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2017

The worst thing in my opinion for Blender is the UVs. It takes so much time and I never get it right.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTijjer
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2017

^^I think people tend to get frustrated with Blender due to its UI partially.
    The UI is very hotkey based, as some people have mentioned it definitely helps to set left mouse button as click in the input preferences.

Andrew Price Has some great beginner tutorials, just posted some new ones:

Beginner Modeling Video Tutorial

Also here is a hot key Cheat Sheet, may be useful for some!
    Project: Vliegende Hollander Efteling By: NolimitsProjects

•  
      CommentAuthorrcth
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2017

Looks good!
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo

Looking really good! When I see this I just know I have to re-do parts of mine xD
    • CommentAuthorA113

Any Maya users here know how to export materials with transparency into NoLimits? I export collada

•  
      CommentAuthorbestdani
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2017 edited

As far as I know these things can only be set up by using a NL2MAT material on a NL2SCO file which replaces the original material (activate blending in alpha and the blend tab for that material).
    ^^^^ Tnx!
    ^^^ Haha Tnx!, Yes the details can not miss out on this boat ;)
    • CommentAuthorDelay
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2017

Is is possible to fake crepuscular rays in Blender? Seems like "Volume Scatter" doesn't work the way I expected.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani

• CommentAuthorDelay

Like I said: This method isn't really working for me, unfortunately. I either get a black image, no rays or close-to-invisible ones.
    Is there no way to fake it with (for example) emission and transparency shaders?
    ^ yes. Model the light things (the rays i meant) in 3d and give it a realistic shader. Also it should work what bestdani said. Atleast it works when rendering on gpu.

A tip for all blender users. Gpu rendering is faster on most systems. On google you can find the best settings for gpu rendering.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2017

^^ Sure you can fake it, maybe it will even render faster, but I just wanted to give you a hint that it is actually no big deal to set it up and I showed you a setup that worked in my case, what's important for example is setting a color tone the scattering a little bit since you want to have rays that don't get scattered and in reality the scattering is also dependent on the wavelength.

^ There should be no difference in the result when you render on GPU or CPU but as you said GPU should be much faster.
    I have sometimes seen differences with rendered images on the gpu and cpu. Although that was on my old laptop. Haven't actually rendered anything on my cpu with my main pc.
    • CommentAuthorDelay
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2017 edited

Okay, so I've tried multiple ideas to try and recreate god rays in Blender. Emission+Transparency, Volume scattering, even using the compositor. But they all don't seem to work the way I expect them to.

Here's what I do: I set up Volume scattering. Then, I make two planes, one for the ground and one for clouds to create the rays. I use the "random" selection tool and remove the selected faces. Note that both planes are independent of one another; unlike rooms. Anyway: I give it a render... And see nothing, at least I see no rays.

What am I doing wrong? And this problem happens on a 2D plane, I need these god rays to work on a sphere (long story).
    (just fixed a typo)
    •  
      CommentAuthorRCF
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2017

I'm pretty new to Blender, and seeing how I might get some help here, I decided to ask. I've been looking around for a while and haven't found an answer.

(This is my first thing I've made in Blender, so that could be part of it.)

This is my character that I'm trying to rig. Every time I try to parent the mesh with the armature using the "with automatic weight" mode, it gives me this error:

So far, what I've tried hasn't worked. Is there a problem with this that I can fix, or not?

The .blend file is here to download if anybody wants to check it out and find an issue: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7BDiJYXElEhbERPcGRpMjlORU0/view?usp=sharing
    ^I'm right now on mobile but I might know your problem. Can you post a wireframe pic?
    It can be that your for example leg bones are both trying to control the leg. But only one can control it as it looks right now.

^^ I still think you are doing something wrong or there is a bug. Have a screenshot of your volum node setup?
    Or better then a screenshot would be your .blend file.