Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorRCF
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2017

^

(Sorry about the image size.)
    ^This could be the problem. It looks like it doesn't know how to split up the body and the side of the legs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRCF
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2017

^ What would be the best way to fix something like that?
    • CommentAuthorA113
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2017

maybe you need to add two more joints that bridge that gap, so they meet at the chest
    •  
      CommentAuthorPearman
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2017 edited

I am back :)
    More pictures in the future.
    Talocan
    • CommentAuthorMrRC
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2017

Looks good
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2017

^^ Cool! That looks promising.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPearman
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2017

^ ^^ Thank you both!
    I'm now trying to bring some detail to the model. This is going to be a nice little addition :)
    Something
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2017

Can I see pics of Olmisery's bullet jet coaster trains with the textures that he is making for me?
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery

Dude I have school I'm sorry lol
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan

Is there any swinging minetrain cars in NL2? Like the 7 Dwarfs Coaster? Has TheCodeMaster made any? I wanted to use them on my jet coasters.
    • CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeMar 23rd 2017

My friend made up the Lego Caterham 7 not long ago, and i sent it back to him like this.

lego caterham 7

This next shot is a bit different. Yes, it's a train, not a car. But it's different because i actually made this one in Leocad myself.

lego high speed train
    First successful thing i've made in Leocad, lol. And i chose that train because i have the real one. Just the train, no tracks.. Got it off someone when i was a kid.

My friend also recently sent me the Lego Technic F1 car he made, and i did it up in some team liveries for him.
    And with the Australian GP coming up, i thought i'd post them. So here they are.

Ferrari
    lego ferrari f1
    Mclaren
    lego mclaren f1
    Mercedes GP
    lego mercedes f1
    Renault 2010
    lego renault f1
    • CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2017

I was going through some old Blender projects recently, and found my Portal 2 stuff i made.

So i ran off a quick render. Then photoshopped some text into it.

some_text
    ^Haha love it
    • CommentAuthorDelay
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2017

Good old Portal2... and I never even played that game!
    Wanted to have a go at texture baking a more complex object, and came up with this for you all to use. A deceivingly low-poly fence, each panel+post piece being just 116 polygons.

I don't have a project for these to go into, so feel free to use it yourself.

ZIP File (Google Drive)
    Park Package (Steam Workshop)

edit: updated diffuse texture to allow easier colour changes in the NL2MAT. Steam Workshop link.
    • CommentAuthormuchwoo
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2017

^ These low-poly fence looks really good.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2017 edited

^^ Nice work, it looks very good! While it is absolutely fine for experimenting, I would just suggest that for general usage the textures could be smaller, 512px x 512px still looks good enough on this object in my opinion.

I recently read interesting discussions related to this and since this object is a perfect example of what I'm very unsure about when I model stuff myself, maybe we can even have good opinions and advices here.
    While with this technique lots of polygons are saved there are new costs introduced by having "wasted" texture space within all the gaps between the bars and also the alpha test is not for free. I heard and read that it can - it depends on many factors like the scene, the engine, the hardware - be more performance friendly to use a higher polygon count and less texture space - especially on modern hardware, therefore for this fence for example modelling all the bars could even increase the performance on the long end than using an alpha masked texture from my understanding. So, with alls that many "coulds" that I read often - are there any good rule of thumb how to deal with this dilemma?
    Edit, Since you expanded your own post:

The main resource cost for texture use is the amount of memory required to store it in VRAM. Once you've loaded a texture into the VRAM a textures cost to be displayed is basically 'free'. That is, the rasterizer has to sample a pixel from a texture for each pixel on the screen, but trilinear sampling only samples a fixed number of points per pixel, so a 4096x4096 and 32x32 texture should raster at roughly the same speed. (especially with mipmapping) Because VRAM is the main scaling cost of textures, the more you can reuse a texture, the better.

Polygons, on the other hand, are not free to reuse. Placing 100 fences results in 100 times the polygon count.

So basically, large textures on unique objects can be a waste of your VRAM budget, but on objects that should be placed in their 100's, the polygon count is a much bigger concern.
    • CommentAuthoriHack97
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2017

Improving my blender skill ^^

•  
      CommentAuthorrcth
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2017

Looks great as always!

Blender is so difficult and I have so little time available. If I learn something in Blender, it's great. But when I finally have time to continue, I'd have forgotten most of what I've learned.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2017 edited

^ Yes that's true, I also noticed that in my first steps, but after some refreshings most of it luckely kept in my mind. Maybe some motivation to try again: I have recently convinced a Sketchup user to switch and after the first steep learning curve he immediately admitted how much easier it is to do stuff in blender and how ridiculous the quality of his former objects was which were made in factors of the time.

^^
    Looks interesting and beautiful :)
    • CommentAuthoriHack97
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2017

Improving my blender skill #2

• CommentAuthorDelay
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2017

You don't need to improve.
    That's looks great!
    •  
      CommentAuthorZergei
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2017

I literally can't manage to make much more than a block or something. Keep doing what you're doing xP
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2017

Would this count as 3d modeling? I am using 100% custom supports for the water slide trough.

^ I love outward banked turns on waterslides
    • CommentAuthorDelay
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2017

Safety is 10/10.
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery

Guys maybe the trough isn't finished. It looks like he's using the same method as his Bobsled track which requires there to be a full trough
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan

Here is a pov of the complete trough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C2Fhpe7Cek
    • CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2017

Womp's recently been playing with fluid simulation/physics in Blender.

liquid

Obviously it looks much better when you see it moving, but it would take me far too long to render a clip. So there's a still shot instead.
    I didn't use a separate light source in that shot, it's lit by the sun in the HDRI environment image. Some work better than others, and that's one of the better ones.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgeforcefan
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2017

Hey guys, do someone creates coaster tracks in solid works? I've been working with cinema4D and blender for a long time and I clearly know how to bend objects following a curve, but I couldn't figure out how to approach in solid works when I want to bend\wrap\twist, you name it, a coaster track (segment) along a curve.

Is there any easy functions for that or can I reach this only with dirty hacks?

- Ercan
    • CommentAuthorTimPerdue
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2017

Hey I was wondering how do you guys scale your models?

Is there a way to export a default train from no Limits to use as a size reference?

I need a custom train and I want to build one but as a Google Sketchup user I need hard line dimensions.
    • CommentAuthorMrRC
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2017

Start with a rectangular "block" and place that over an existing train and start from there.

So u can see where u can "trim" off excess material from your "block" .

Good luck.
    • CommentAuthorTimPerdue
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2017

>MrRc<
    I see. that's more along the lines of what I need; a bounding box. I just don't know how things scale between programs that's my issue.
    I am still open to alternate answers if people have other methods I'll start here but, again. Let me know what you do.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2017 edited

I wouldn't enter any length and just scale the object in the modeller until it fits on the model in the NL2 Editor: Therfore scale, export, check and repeat until it fits. I also use a simple script (see below) that prints the exact position and rotation of the train in NL2' console when you start the simulator. This position should be the same position as in the Editor and I use these values to move the object to that position. Normally the units should also match automatically, so 1m in your modeller should result in 1m in NL2 unless it cannot be proper exported or imported.

save as TrainPosition.nlvm

import com.nolimitscoaster.*;
    import nlvm.math3d.*;
    public class TrainPosition extends Script{

//start entering the required values here
    private static final String COASTER_NAME = "my coaster";
    private static final int TRAIN_NUMBER = 0;
    private static final int CAR_NUMBER = 0;
    //until here

private static final float RAD_TO_DEG = (float) (180. / Math.PI);
    public bool onInit(){
    Coaster coaster = sim.getCoaster(COASTER_NAME);
    Train train = coaster.getTrainAt(TRAIN_NUMBER);
    Matrix4x4f matrix = new Matrix4x4f();
    train.getCarMatrix(CAR_NUMBER, matrix);
    Vector3f position = new Vector3f();
    Vector3f rotation = new Vector3f();
    Tools.matrixToPitchHeadBankPos(
    matrix, rotation, position
    );
    rotation.mul(RAD_TO_DEG);
    System.out.println("position: " + position);
    System.out.println("rotation: " + rotation);
    return false;
    }
    }
    •  
      CommentAuthorTobi

Does someone of you remember my recreation of Flug der Dämonen? I told you that I made this for a special Project and now I can show you al little bit of the progress from my brother. He bought a 3D printer and is printing in every free minute. In the last months he mainly printed the Track of Flug der Dämonen and this is a very long project.

If you are interested in more Updates you can follow him on Instagram: 3d.printed.roller.coasters

•  
      CommentAuthorBasilisk

I need that in my life, it looks amazing!
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc

How did you manage to get such a nice 3D model exported from No Limits? That looks fantastic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTobi

@Basilisk Do you want to buy it? :D

@jpaufsc I exported the track spline from Nolimits and imported it to Blender. After that my brother has made the custom track in Blender.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgeforcefan
    • CommentTimeMay 21st 2017 edited

@Tobi, wow it looks very good. Ive buyed my 3D printer last week, waiting for delivery. I have the same project in my mind and preparing the track and models for this. I even modified FVD++ for small scale needs (since I want to make my models rideable)
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan

Make a real life 3d printed coaster from No Limits 2 for human riding? or toy figure riding?
    •  
      CommentAuthordjd711
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2017

Really good results from the 3D printer. What printer is it? And what method are you using to join the track segments together?
    •  
      CommentAuthorTobi

@geforcefan Can't wait to see your Project!

@TOGO Fan Of curse for human! :D

@djd711 The model is printed with an ultimaker original plus.
    •  
      CommentAuthordapalm

Woah, it looks fantastic! I hope you make some kind of making of when you're done with it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani

Really nice, I think I will finally also buy one this year when I see more and more really cool 3d printed stuff like this.
    • CommentAuthoriHack97
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2017 edited

Hey guys, just finished my space mountain model....

• CommentAuthorDelay
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2017

Insane!
    • CommentAuthorTheBeatles
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2017

Is that the name of that ride? I could've sworn it was a title much more in-tune with my interests as a millennial.