Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorHarmL98
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2017

Never understood blender haha. How in the world can you make that in there!!
    Looks amazing!
    •  
      CommentAuthorPearman
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2017

I just noticed that my last update is quite a long time ago... So here are some newer renders of my Talocan model, to keep you guys updated. There is a lot of progress, compared to the old shots
    Talocan front
    Talocan entrance1
    Talocan entrance2
    • CommentAuthorBullero
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2017

^Looks very good so far! No pressure, but are you making synced fire / water effects as well?
    •  
      CommentAuthorPearman
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2017

^I already tested a bit with the particle effects from bestdani and it's definitely going to work. In another forum they said that I could try to sync the effects via an invisible coaster with lots of triggers. I'm definitely going to try this in the future. The other option would be a complete script combining the ride and the particle effects, but because I have no scripting skills this would be very hard to make.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly
    • CommentTimeJun 15th 2017

I finally started messing around with texture painting rather than just unwrapping and using a single texture overall.

So far I think I've got the hang of it but I'm wondering if any of ya'll out there could give me some pointers. As a form of practice I do want to try making a little graveyard set, and I'll definitely release it here if I end going through and finishing it.
    • CommentAuthorWomp83

^ Looks good for a first effort.
    I actually started looking at the texture painting thing just a few nights ago myself, wondering if it would be easier than trying to UV texture something. How does it go when you import into NL? I can't offer any tips, but was wondering how to go about painting an actual texture image onto something. So far all i've been able to do is paint solid colours onto a model, unless that's what you've done there, haha.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

Thanks for the compliments :)

For importing, It's as easy to import into NL2 as any other, because when you texture paint, you're actually just painting onto a image file that the UV's are unwrapped onto for you. All you have to do is save the image file and pull it into the game. I'll link two videos down below that got me into the basics in under 10 minutes, this guy explains the process really well.

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcCQKuWPhXk

Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNxmh5UVi08
    • CommentAuthorWomp83

^ And thanks for the links, Mrcrolly. :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani

Nice work. I think it's important to mention that manual UV mapping still is a thing when you work with texture painting, the automatic unwrap can just help you but not replace it in every case. Often you also want to use several layers of painted textures with masking and stuff, instead of using a destructive workflow. You would then have to bake the final result into a final texure for the last step in most cases. You can also combine baking textures with painting them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorelement 115
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2017 edited

https://gyazo.com/b8191fba7bd330362824b1941dd4ee4d

Made a front wheel assembly for teh lolz
    • CommentAuthorMrRC
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2017

I see some structural issue's coming up.

The bearing holders for the side and upstop wheels seems to be a lil loose.
    https://gyazo.com/349c709708ee5f1d2f5b92617d8ba491
    https://gyazo.com/cd3d15fd3674ea4cb34d9ddb49dd8a86

Aaaaaaaaaaand its now becoming a whole train. (fixed the side and up stop wheels btw)
    • CommentAuthorMrRC
    • CommentTimeJun 18th 2017

Looks awesome good, much better side and upstop wheel bearing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorVinyworld283
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2017 edited

I started working on a model for the vekoma mk1200 (wish me good luck xD it's my first 3D model of an existing train type :/)
    • CommentAuthorMrRC
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2017 edited

Empty
    • CommentAuthorTheBeatles
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2017

^And you're the true expert on studying the work of others, aren't you, MrRC?
    Posted By: MrRCLooking simular to this (from Giftaddict)

So what do you mean with that? I guess you are able to see that mine's only inspired by what I see on pictures of reallife mk1200 trains if you think I use others projects for mine (Only the ccc from the codemaster to make them work xD)
    wait... its a recreation of the same thing, if it didn't look similar something would be very wrong lmao
    •  
      CommentAuthorTobi
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2017

Custom Train for Goliath:

•  
      CommentAuthorGeCoDe

w.. wi... will.. will you release them?
    looks awesome
    •  
      CommentAuthorTobi

You can download Goliath after I shared a Video.
    Those will work for many other Intamin Megacoasters too, notably Expedition GeForce, Superman @ SFNE, and Mega-Lites. I may not be the only one who noticed GeForce has the non-lead cars being from a slightly older train style as on MF.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2017 edited

Posted By: Gorres CoastersSuperman @ SFNE

Nope, those as older-gen with a narrower track gauge. I wonder if anyone will ever make that custom style, that'd be neat!
    • CommentAuthorTT23
    • CommentTimeJul 1st 2017 edited

EDIT:

• CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2017

Got a question for those on here who work with UV mapping/texturing for scenery.

What's the general resolution that you make your texture files? If i need to UV something, i usually make my maps 1024 x 1024, as it's a decent trade-off between quality and file size. But i've been thinking about upping to 2048 x 2048 for better detail. I guess it also depends on what you're actually texturing too, but for the sake of the question, we'll say it's for a main scenery piece (not a small background item)

So yeah, i was just wondering what size other people used.
    I wrote a tutorial a while back with some advice on texture sizes, which you may be interested in reading.

TL;DR current generation titles will be using 2048x2048 textures, so use that as your base resolution if you're able to produce assets at that size. Smaller texture sizes can still look fine, and avoid mixing texture sizes for objects of similar sizes.
    • CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2017

^ Oh cool, thanks SI. I'll have a read through that.
    Although seeing you mention 2048 x 2048 being fine, i think i'll be re-doing my textures i just did.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2017 edited

If its possible you could also make them in 4k or even higher if that's possible first (this means using a rather high texel density) and then scale them down as required. Maybe you will discover that on some spots you want to keep 4k for some reasons and on some others it's enough to just have it 512 x 512 or so.
    • CommentAuthorRCW
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2017

Finally got around to purchasing Solidworks on my home PC, here is the current thing that I have been working on for the past day or so.

https://gyazo.com/58a414a2a485aaccf77e4c153b99753f
    • CommentAuthormarcolli
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2017

Hi all, I'm looking for a bit of advice. I'm recently getting back into NoLimits after a couple of years and this time round I'm quite keen to get into custom scenery etc (as I now have quite a good laptop).

I'm quite experienced in SolidWorks and I'm comfortable making models in it. My question is whether using SolidWorks for all my modelling is reasonable for NL2? (i.e. will the models generally be of the right sort of poly count, and if not will I be able to optimise this in SW?) As far as I understand it, SW won't be great for texturing so I'd need to do this in Blender or similar.

Basically, I don't have huge amounts of time so I'd prefer to minimise the amount of stuff I need to learn. So can I model in SW and get a finished project into NL fairly easily, or is it worthwhile learning modelling in blender instead?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2017 edited

Hi, I think this highly depends on your demands. Having a few high poly models in one park on a computer with good hardware is not a big deal. The trouble starts the more high poly objects are included (also take care that the NL2 tracks, trains, terrain and so on) also count to the general polygon count in your park.

So if you just want to visualize a few solid work models inside NL2 interactively in a rather simple scene this would probably work with the directly exported CAD models. For everything else I think you should make the models game ready by reducing the polygon count, I don't know if there is a CAD software that does this, since you usually don't bother with these things when doing CAD.

Blender offers you some options to automatize the polygon reduction (decimate modifier) but this requires most of the time having rather clean topology for good results which CAD models also usually don't offer on the exported models. There are also some methods which work semi automatically, but this would require more than just one keyword to explain and some experience with blender already.

If you mainly want to make models for NL2 (or any other game / interactive) usage I think learning blender (or similar) would be a way better option since the demands for models used in these fields are different than for CAD. You would have to deal much more with managing polygon / triangle count and managing texture (UV) space, also a field which as far as I know CAD software does not offer. Also the topology (the way how the triangles or usually quads are distributed on the model surface) matters to some extend - not that much for hard surface models, but it's good practice at least to also care about it in this field and comes with some benefits. I also recommend when you start to learn this, that you choose instructions / tutorials that focus on game assets / models, since the demands for models used in none interactive rendering are also a bit different.

For texturing you also want to have some good graphics program that you are able to use. like GIMP or Photoshop and similar, maybe in combination with blender's 3D painting capabilities and there's also dedicated software for exclusively doing this.
    • CommentAuthormarcolli

^Thanks for the reply. I get where you are coming from regarding the limitations of using CAD software for gaming type usage. Ideally I would really love to get into blender but from what I've heard it is a rather big time investment which I can't really afford - but I think I will give it a go and see how I get on. Maybe I'll get into it easily ;)

The main reason I was asking about SolidWorks was because I've seen other users who model in it and use that stuff in NL (e.g. when making custom trains), so I'd be quite interested in finding out what methods they use. If there is a method which means I'd only need to learn certain parts of blender (like texturing and UV mapping) rather than the whole lot, it would be preferable. If any users who regularly use SW for NL2 could give me a quick summary of their methods it would be greatly appreciated :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc

I can sympathize with your needs. I don't have much of an idea how to use Blender either so I make all my scenery models in Autodesk Inventor. For texturing, I use Sketchup since it's pretty simple to use. For the most part, models made in CAD aren't much of a burden as long as you have a somewhat decent PC. I'm not sure how my methods might translate to SolidWorks, but I could certainly offer some tips if you need them.
    • CommentAuthormarcolli

^Thanks jpaufsc! I guess that Autodesk and SW might have similarities in our case. I've heard texturing is limited but doable in sketchup. What is your process in terms of getting a model from AutoDesk to sketchup and then to NL? Also, do you use the pro version of SketchUp?
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2017 edited

Can someone make these three pieces of engrish into three 3d signs for my jamp up land?

•  
      CommentAuthorbestdani
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2017

^ I thought it would be better to write a quick guide with a step by step instruction for the steam workshop instead how one can do that without creating custom 3d models in NL2 on his own:
    Read how to do this here
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan

I got it to work! I love it!

•  
      CommentAuthorbestdani

Posted By: marcolliIf there is a method which means I'd only need to learn certain parts of blender (like texturing and UV mapping) rather than the whole lot, it would be preferable. If any users who regularly use SW for NL2 could give me a quick summary of their methods it would be greatly appreciated :)
    Just an addition to that: You would also just need parts of blender to do the modelling for games. This software can be used for more things than just modeling (and it also offers different modelling approaches), there are also tools like physics simulation, animation, video editing and many options are for rendering which won't be interesting for your needs.
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan

How do I copy my bylaw of bowling room sign and make it a airsoft gun sign? The instructions for reusing the sign i just made and putting a different image on it are not very specific.

I refreshed the scene object but it still did not have the airsoft text on it.

The preview pic shows the airsoft pic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcth
    • CommentTime4 days ago edited

My first serious model in Blender is part of my Rock'n Roller Coaster project. This here are the booster wheels to move the trains. They are inspired of the NL2 default booster wheels, but I will use mine for the project, because I want to be able to script them myself.

• CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTime4 days ago edited

^ Looks good.
    Just need to minimise the reflection on the tyres, maybe add a normal map to them, and you'll be 'rockin' some nice transports.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcth
    • CommentTime4 days ago

Will do, thanks.
    I wanted to have a go at cramming a bunch of detail into a scene. So far I've been working on this test, not currently part of a full project.

Holy s**t
    •  
      CommentAuthorPearman
    • CommentTime4 days ago

This looks amazing :O
    •  
      CommentAuthorTobi
    • CommentTime1 day ago

No more long and my brother will finish the print of Flug Der Dämonen from Heide Park. Here are some shots from the first part until the Immelmann.

•  
      CommentAuthorParadox
    • CommentTime1 day ago

It better have the bad track connections that cause the train to bounce through them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcth
    • CommentTime16 hours ago edited

After the booster wheels, I started working on the brakes.

It isn't entirely correct, but it should be fine for its purpose.
    That b&m wing rider is 3D render right?????