Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

I must have Moses that. So that is a 3D printed B&M wind coaster??? Like in real life! :O name your price!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2017

^^ His question was if the above pictures were digital renders or a real photo.

So yup, this is a real object, he 3D printed it.
    • CommentAuthorBullero
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2017 edited

Blender question: I keyframed an object to do a rotation on the Z axis (vertical axis in Blender). The Z axis in NoLimits2 is a horizontal axis, so the object rotates around a horizontal axis instead of the vertical axis.

Any way to fix this? It feels like I missed an export setting in Blender, But I can't figure it out... Thanks in advance!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2017 edited

For me exporting animations like that always fixed every axis problem:
    • CommentAuthorjurrut
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2017 edited

Building this soon

^ dope!!!
    • CommentAuthorcaptfido87
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2017

Ahh C4d.... I miss that program
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcth
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2017 edited

I am currently working on the 3D objects for my Rock'n Roller Coaster in NL2. I first did the catwalks for the first MCBR zone (mirror + array + curve modifers, applying none), then I did a linked duplicate to create the catwalk objects for the second MCBR zone. Changed the array modifier amount and the curve modifier object so they are placed in the correct spot. However, it seems NL2 doesn't see my second object. The white box around the object in NL2 shows that it doesn't even have the object there.

Does anyone know what I did wrong? I can't seem to figure it out right now.
    • CommentAuthorDelay

You need to apply the modifier. I recommend making a .blend file (without applied mod.) and the file you use in NL2 with applied modifier.
    Do you have all of the objects selected when you export? Most exporters only export currently selected objects.

Edit: Delay might be right, make sure the export settings for the Collada (DAE) format looks like this, (with texture options checked if you aren't using NL2MATs) and modifiers will be applied when exporting.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcth
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2017

I use these options. Modifiers don't need to be applied if you click the "apply modifiers" button while exporting.

•  
      CommentAuthorrcth

I tried, no success unfortunately.
    • CommentAuthorDelay

I apply the modifier manually, if that helps.
    Okay, I checked your .blend file. Not sure what caused the issue, but this page describes the solution. (see second umage)

Some technical aspect was preventing modifiers from being applied.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcth

That will unlink them I suppose?
    I assume so. Why did you have them linked?
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcth

In case I wanted to change something of the catwalks. If it is linked, I don't have to change it for both of them. The same reason I try to not apply modifiers if not strictly necessairy; it makes modelling easier.
    I think that's just going to be a limitation imposed by the program, then.

If I had to make a change, I would just change one and replace the other with a copy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcth

Okay thank you for the help.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani

The reason for this seems to be that blender internally only stores the base mesh and applies the modifier afterwards (which can be set to be done automatically during export, which is a good idea in general) but for a COLLADA file this is not possible and a new mesh has to be created when another object uses other modifier settings since the final mesh will be different and cannot be anymore an instance. Maybe some more intelligent COLLADA exporter could solve this automatically by creating new meshes where necessary (maybe worth a feature request?) but I think this might come with some other trouble like how to name them.

For keeping objects editable and having good exporting results, I figured out that the smartjoin addon seems to do a good job. It also helps (it was actually intended for this) to keep editable instances inside blender but groups meshes together into one large mesh resulting in fewer final elements on the exported object which can be better for performance reasons.

You have kind of the same problem when you want to export group instances which seems to be not possible at all with the COLLADA exporter.
    • CommentAuthorWomp83

I don't know about anyone else who uses Blender, but when i export something as a Collada/DAE, i always un-check the 'Triangulate' box under Collada options. So it doesn't triangulate all the faces and double the number of polys in the model.
    ^ That isn't true, on modern rendering pipelines all quads have to be rendered as triangles. (You can tell this because blender lists two counts, Faces and Triangles)

You should triangulate meshes, unless you specifically want quads, i.e. for autosprites or occluder meshes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani

I usually also don't enable this and let NL2 do this when it imports the mesh.
    I wouldn't want to incorrectly guess on this, but it's possible that that processing isn't performance-free.

There really isn't a reason not to export it in the form it's going to be rendered in though, and you should be manually triangulating your non-planar quads to check for correctness anyway.
    • CommentAuthoriHack97
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2017 edited

Working on a new custom train..

Hebergeur d'image
    •  
      CommentAuthorZergei
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2017

Ooh, cool! Very nice detail work!
    • CommentAuthorMrRC
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2017

Very nice, looks like Space Mountain.
    • CommentAuthoriHack97
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2017

It is Space Mountain
    • CommentAuthorMrRC
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2017

Seriously ? ha ha i was joking sorry.
    • CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2017 edited

Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the ask thread. But it's 3d related, so..

Does anyone know a good, effective way to make a metallic looking NL2mat? I'd like to test one out on one of the car fronts i'm making for my Viper ride, but i'm not sure how to go about doing it.
    • CommentAuthorMrRC
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2017

replace the color of your choice with an NL2MAT that called "IRON"

send me an email in my profile for the file.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani

^^ The basic ingredients are (faked) reflections and the specular color might be colored depending on the material (therefore also check influenced by specular color for the reflections). Since NL2 does not provide some roughness you might mix some reflection with some diffuse to fake a more brushed metallic look instead of having a mirror effect.
    •  
      CommentAuthornolimiters

Anyone has an idea how to make the sides less boring?

Was not entirely sure to put this here or in the ask threat, but since it's modeling I post it here.

•  
      CommentAuthorMrBassdirt
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2017 edited

Hey guys not sure if this belongs in this thread so feel free to redirect me, but I'm having an issue with these textures (which have emission maps?) showing through other objects. Does anyone know how to fix this? Am I doing something wrong or is it a bug?

This is where the actual textures are (underneath the path in the previous images):

Thank you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani

^ Is it just in the sim, the Editor or in both? Did you accidentally activated No Depth-Write in the material settings? Are you sure there aren't additional faces in your mesh that simply cause the leaking through other objects?

^^ I'd say you could already enhance the look by adding some dirt and generally more variations to the texture, also consider cutting (probably better drawing) some small holes on the sides - I'd recommend to have a close look to some real world pictures to find out what makes such walls look different in reality.
    • CommentAuthorcaptfido87

Edit: Deleted
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrBassdirt
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2017

@Bestdani: It's in both the editor and simulator. No Depth-Write is not activated and I didn't use a mesh. The issue only occurs at specific angles.

It would appear to be caused by making the texture transparent. I tried opaque and cutout transparency modes and the issue goes away for both. Might just use cutout, but it doesn't look quite how I'd like it since it gets rid of the feathering.

Thanks for the input!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani

^ I meant that since you must have some face in your model to display the texture on it, maybe there's something wrong with the object or how NL2 uses it for some strange reasons (like doubled faces or non planar ngons, hidden faces and so on), maybe check if the model might have any of these problems or try with a test model first to rule out any potential error on the model side.
    • CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2017

Posted By: bestdani^^ The basic ingredients are (faked) reflections and the specular color might be colored depending on the material (therefore also check influenced by specular color for the reflections). Since NL2 does not provide some roughness you might mix some reflection with some diffuse to fake a more brushed metallic look instead of having a mirror effect.

Cool. I gave that a quick test and it seemed to work alright. Plus i just remembered the NL2 Round Up ride has that fake metallic/glitter paint material on it, so i may even copy that across and see if i can do something with it.
    Thanks.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcth
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2017 edited

Does anyone have the same problem with the newest (just released) Blender 2.79?

EDIT: Seems Blender messed with the .DAE standards. They added the below in the Collada tag, which causes the problem:
    xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"

EDIT2: Apperantly it's not against the .DAE standards. It seems to work in Unreal Engine I've heard. NL2, please upgrade the .DAE engine. That'd make all Blender users really happy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2017

This being the 2nd train I've ever made, I'm SUPER proud of it. I had to save/scrap certain details since I had to keep it under 5k polys for each car, hence the terrible bogies/wheels. But I'm really happy with how the general shaping came out, now to texture and bake it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani

Looks very good but isn't it an option to use higher LOD for the boogies exceeding the 5k restriction when you are close to the wheels (at least usage of more rounded wheels)? I think the current look destroys the otherwise good looking overall impression.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

This is for another game that doesn't have LODS available unless you code them yourself (Roblox) and models have to stay under 5k in order to import which blows.I could make two separate models for it but it's kinda a pain to keep it all optimized, even with LODs in mind
    could you not lose a few polys from the bars on the seat and add them to the wheels?
    or couldnt you have it as 3 separate models? (front car, middle car(s), rear car)
    • CommentAuthorWomp83

Posted By: rcthDoes anyone have the same problem with the newest (just released) Blender 2.79?

EDIT: Seems Blender messed with the .DAE standards. They added the below in the Collada tag, which causes the problem:
    xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"

EDIT2: Apperantly it's not against the .DAE standards. It seems to work in Unreal Engine I've heard. NL2, please upgrade the .DAE engine. That'd make all Blender users really happy.

Is that the update with the official, proper shadow catcher?

Looks like i might be waiting a bit before i update..
    • CommentAuthorDelay

^^Or just texture the metal plates on the side of the train instead of making them actual bumps? That would save 16 vertices (at best) per car.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

^^^^ The bars are actually totally square with full smoothing, and the seats are super low poly as is (about 200 polys per seat) however I can try to optimize the seats which could help.

^^^ Every car is its separate model, each one slightly under 5k polys. It's not really JUST a problem of roblox's import restrictions, but other members of the team have stressed enough wanting to keep each car for whatever ride under 5k.

^ I could do that, but it would literally only save about 32 polys overall for each car which doesn't seem justifiable enough to totally scratch, as I would have to give 12 sets of wheels an extra face or two which would already exceed that slight drop in polys by a lot. However it's still a possibility.

I think what I'll try to do is lower the polys on the seat to my best ability, and if that doesn't totally work out then I can also cut the details under the seats (which isn't much, but helps) and also see if I can use a texture over the metal plates. Honestly I'm not one to be TOO crazed about the wheels looking block-y, but I'll definitely try and work it out to figure out a nice solution as I can agree with it being a huge eyesore.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcth

Posted By: Womp83
    Looks like i might be waiting a bit before i update..

2.79 has been in beta quite a while as far as I know, but I think the problem is in NL2 because other programs can read the .dae just fine.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcth
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2017

The problem in NL2 seems to be fixed in the recent update :)