Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2017

^ Awesome, so now i can update Blender and finally have a proper shadow catcher :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorTobi
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2017

Flug Der Dämonen is complete! In my opinion a fantastic result!

Oh my god its really so amazing, well done!!!!
    OH IT'S YOU I FOLLOW ON INSTAGRAM! COOL!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2017

It looks fantastic. Any future plan what could maybe happen next? (like scenery work or another coaster?)
    • CommentAuthorWomp83

^ He's going to turn that room into a park.
    Lay down some grass on the floor, place some rocks, plant a few bonsai trees to keep a sense of scale.. Make some small buildings.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTobi

Thanks!

^^^ It was my brother and me, yes.

^^ Yes we have some plans which could be very interesting for all coaster enthusiast here. But before that there is a lot what we have to do.

^Haha no :D Flug Der Dämonen wasted space and my brother wants to sell it.
    i'd buy that, it looks amazing!
    •  
      CommentAuthorTobi
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2017

It's very expensive :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2017 edited

Doing a complete 180 for what would've originally been a generic coaster of mine... Super excited to see where this leads, both story wise and for visuals.

EDIT: better pic
    • CommentAuthorMrRC
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2017 edited

Edit : Never mind
    •  
      CommentAuthorTobi
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2017

I worked on a new Version of the trains of Taron. Next step is to texturate it.

•  
      CommentAuthorPearman
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2017

This looks so amazing. Can't wait to see it with colours ^^
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly
    • CommentTimeNov 17th 2017

*blows dust off thread*

I got inspired to challenge myself and try my hand at recreating the trains for Time Traveler.

A lot of the difficult stuff is out of the way but there's still so much more detail to do, but texturing is a whole different story.
    • CommentAuthorBullero

Looks great so far!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

Thanks!
    • CommentAuthorjurrut
    • CommentTime4 days ago edited

Control Panel is getting shape.

• CommentAuthorDelay
    • CommentTime4 days ago

Might be a dumb question, but where do you get your textures from?
    Www.textures.com
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani

^, google images, substance source, my camera, self made renderings, I also sometimes look into Pixar 128 and Pixar 130 but could not find any real usage for now. ;-)
    Pardon the HORRIFIC Jpeginess, and the fact that this is in no way, shape or form related to roller coasters... but...

C69 tube stock, WIP. As built condition.
    C69 tube stock, WIP. As built condition.

Original for reference

I've gotten into Blender a bit :P

Edit: Added reference and explanation
    • CommentAuthorTheBeatles

That's some horrific jpeginess
    Ew, that Jpeginess.
    Imgur did it! Not me!
    Hi, I tried to design a tube 800 speed water slide. It is my first time and it was very frustrating and a hell of work but I'm pretty happy!
    It's still undone and my first time rendering. Hope you like it!

•  
      CommentAuthorBolt789
    • CommentTime2 days ago

Did you do that in Sketchup? What's your process?
    Looks very good!
    Not that I wish to rub anybody's nose in it, but there are better tools for certain jobs, and Blender has a ton of features to make these kind of repetitive models easier to model and more optimized.

Plus, I'm practicing animation at the moment and totally wanted an excuse to try that.
    • CommentAuthornSeven
    • CommentTime2 days ago

Yes, we need to banish sketchup entirely and get people modeling in Blender.

This is a PSA - you only do yourself harm if you use sketchup. Haha.
    Blender's so good. People who use Sketchup are just lazy :P

(not shaming anyone who is lazy. just sketchup users.)
    •  
      CommentAuthoriSatnav
    • CommentTime2 days ago

^^@Element115, take note of this before making another 1,000,000 poly train cover.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBolt789
    • CommentTime2 days ago

Is Blender any good with architectural design like SketchUp? Orthographic views and measurements in feet/inches and whatnot?
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani
    • CommentTime2 days ago edited

Like that?

This might also be interesting.

There are things that are probably better done in Sketchup and things that one might better choose blender for and even things for which other software might be a better choice. Blender in my opinion is a very good all round solution when it comes to 3d design and even more, with a very very very attractive price (free).

Also the quality of exported models from Sketchup (at least what I have seen so far) is often very poor. Not necessarily from the visual aspect but from more technical aspects which result in bad performance especially when used in real time rendering (games, NL2).

Before anyone might get upset. I guess the point is, that creating many things can be done very quickly in blender and if one had a very hard and frustrating time doing the same thing in Sketchup he might probably rather use another software for the job, at least when everything Sketchup can assist you with have been used already - you can also do it in a very hard way in blender without being familiar with the tools that help you.

@Maverick
    I think the result of that slide looks good by the way, just the text let me also in doubt if you might be better off with blender (or something else).

Posted By: TheFlyerMan1Blender's so good. People who use Sketchup are just lazy :P

Actually I think they often work harder to get a worse result. ;-)

If anyone considers switching to blender by the way. I recommend to wait for the blender 2.8 release!
    Ok, here's a somewhat coaster related render. Much better than Skytower 1.0 imo already.

Lighting is horrible under the circular bits, but all in all, so far so good if I do say so myself!
    • CommentAuthorMrRC
    • CommentTime1 day ago

If u use more edges its more smoother, but on the other side it has more polygons.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTime1 day ago edited

That moment when Disney uses SketchUp:

This is Pirates of the Caribbean: Battle for the Sunken Treasure at Shanghai Disneyland.

But I agree Blender is just better in any aspects. Althought, the workflows are different so if you're used to SketchUp (like I am), Blender is disturbing and I never really got into it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani

^ I disagree ;-) It's not better in any aspect, I guess (since I never really used it much at all) Sketchup is ideal for what also Disney is using it: Some quick visualization sketches - this does not mean that this isn't possible in blender, 3dsmax, C4D or Maya. But if that's you primarily goal I think it would be actually better to use SU. ;-)
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo

Sketchup is very handy for quick visualisations indeed. We use in a lot in urban design since it's very flexible and easy to use. Of course when you want to make more detailed models for other uses than sketches the usefullness quickly goes down, but sketchup is best for whats it named after: sketching.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTime1 day ago

Yeah, true that. It reminds me of handbuilding vs. FVD actually.
    • CommentAuthorMGrides
    • CommentTime1 day ago

Well,... bestdani and i working on a small tutorial series for blender. It will be related specifically to No Limits 2. And: general 3D modelling, to make your models more pro and performant.
    Maybe one or two are interested in this topic, too? ;)
    • CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTime1 day ago

Posted By: nSevenYes, we need to banish sketchup entirely and get people modeling in Blender.

This is a PSA - you only do yourself harm if you use sketchup. Haha.

"And knowing is half the battle" (sings) G.. I.. Jooooe.. oh wait, wrong PSA.. how embarrasing.

My bad..

Posted By: TheFlyerMan1Blender's so good. People who use Sketchup are just lazy :P

(not shaming anyone who is lazy. just sketchup users.)

I'm just a lazy texturer lol. Sketchup makes it so much easier to throw textures on a building or anything with lots of flat surfaces.

Posted By: bestdaniIf anyone considers switching to blender by the way. I recommend to wait for the blender 2.8 release!

I'm really looking forward to the 2.8 update and EEVEE.
    • CommentAuthorMGrides
    • CommentTime1 day ago

Tiled textures all over the place :D Yes, it is easy in sketchup. But it can be also lazy and easy in Blender, too. Inclusive, when you want to texture some organic shapes. Or working with a texture atlas. That means, all your models sharing maybe just one or two textures and running clickbaiting fast on nearly most of the machines =D
    • CommentAuthorsbdb2099

^^^Here...eh...me! That would be really awesome.

I used sketchup but wanted to switch to blender in my last "NL-phase". I worked through Andrews donut/mug tutorial and when things were speeding up a little i lost motivation again. So, since the next "NL-period" could be just around the corner that would be really helpful.

edit: yeah...."muck" tutorial...at least i noticed ;P
    • CommentAuthorWomp83

^^ I try to use textures where the tiling isn't as noticable, hahaha.

But i'd be interested to learn better, quicker and easier ways to texture in Blender, that aren't always uv related.. cause that's the difficult part.
    I know of a few corners i can cut so far, but more are always appreciated. :)
    • CommentAuthornSeven
    • CommentTime1 day ago

You really just have to settle with the fact that UV is always there - but it isn't meant to be a hindrance. I can understand the feeling that it is when you're not familiar with seams and hand-unwrapping models. However for architectural models there are smart UV options that do the job pretty well.

When it comes down to being able to paint detail right onto the models and have it update the texture...that's where the power of Blender really shines. You go from using a dozen textures that look only ok because they're flat-mapped to 1 texture that performs better, looks incredible and makes the most out of your polygons. This allows you to be LESS detailed (sometimes significantly) in your model and still get a better result.

For one reason only, Blender is worth learning - and that is Texture Paint.

But for other reasons, is the idea of topology - when you're working in a realtime renderer like NL2 you are only allocated so many resources and so if you spend them on your scenery you risk getting a choppy framerate. But if you not only design in a resourceful way by eliminating as many poly's as possible along with loading fewer textures...you can get a lot more done. In essence your scope increases because you've been resourceful.

When making scenes, you have to imagine you're basically environmental designers and NL2 is your game engine. Games aren't taken seriously if they drop under 60 fps and you should treat your scenes the same way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly
    • CommentTime1 day ago

Regarding Texture Painting: Is there a way to both plug in multiple maps when painting so all the bumpmaps and stuff get altered in realtime as well? Would be insanely useful.

Achievement Unlocked
    Accidentally started a flame war
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani

^ ehhm no, that's not a flame war, sorry. :P
    Flame war would be: STFU texture painting is $§&% in blender! Substance painter FTW! - I think ;-)

Ok seriously, while one can do very good texture painting in blender, there are again many tools that are specialized for doing that. With these it usually can be done much more effective in my opinion, like Substance Painter for example, that's at least the one I know and use. But it does cost some money, blender is totaly free at least it can be done (while you cannot model anything or even create UV maps in substance painter) and since it's even open source software theoretically anyone can start to improve it, as far as I know that's also on the agenda for future releases already.

By the way, under the hood even Sketchup uses UV maps and doing it the Sketchup way is not harder in blender, but you can do it better there.

You can by the way do some rather good roller coaster simulation in blender, but I prefer to use NL2 for that. ;-)
    • CommentAuthorDelay
    • CommentTime1 day ago

Posted By: bestdaniYou can by the way do some rather good roller coaster simulation in blender

What?
    How!?
    Why?
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTime1 day ago

Posted By: DelayWhy?

Because it's open-source and open-source has no limits, if you see what I did there.