Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

From now on I'm going to have all my updates posted here. I am working on a new coaster and I have the layout completed. Lately I have been obsessed with the idea of having a compact B&M hyper that was as interesting as Raging Bull or Apollo's Chariot. I really wanted to make a ride with the style that still retained some character. (as opposed to rides like behemoth and intimidator that are void of any distinct characteristics in its layout and shaping) This was the result. Also I have a fetish for mid-ride dives into ravines (my coaster Panther being the epitome of that). I am overall satisfied with the layout.

poster-2014-05-03-15-07-04

poster-2014-05-03-23-55-23

poster-2014-05-03-15-38-30

poster-2014-05-03-15-04-34
    • CommentAuthorMGCD
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2014

Stunning as always,
    I'm loving that landscape.
    That track color is so crisp in contrast with the environment,
    Keep up the good work
    • CommentAuthorBrawly

Dude, your environment settings.. Looks absolutely gorgeous.
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op

You really need to put a *NSFW* tag up if your going to post stuff this hot.

-Ride_Op
    I love the interlocking hammerheads! The layout looks spectacular! Can't wait to see it supported. :)

What's that little bit of red? It appears to be an SLC of sorts...
    ^I reckon it's his swinging disk flat ride
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

That environment is stunning. I love they layout as well, very creative. Also, will Heretic be uploaded?
    ^Yeah its a messy ride and its a chore to clean up all the crap lol.. But I'm kind of ready to just upload it as it is so I can move on and make a better optimized and better made ride.

Thanks guys, I have a few tricks for this environment that I didn't use on Heretic that make the environment look way way better.

Also I've decided on the name Aether, the greek god who's name translates to "bright upper air". Aether is the God of the upper air of the heavens and sky.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAJClarke0912
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2014 edited

Wow.

Colors, name, environment, layout, track shaping. All good. I like how your colors aren't flamboyant, yet look really nice. The environment's shaping up to be awesome, and that track shaping is sexy as hell. I think in your first picture I can already spy some Mantis/Green Lantern ok know-it-all Daniel counter-banking as it traverses the first drop.

I like everything so far. And what's that in the back of the second picture - your flat ride from the other thread? Looks nice.
    Mantis does that but Green Lantern does not. The design Green Lantern as a whole is a lot more fluid, for better or worse. I personally like the banking whips on...well any coaster really, but to me it takes a bit away from a standup to have high verticals and less whip. I'd prefer low verticals and quicker banking, but that's just me.
    • CommentAuthorElvenage

"Aether": pronouced āther with a long "a", or ēther like Thor 2, The Dark World?
    • CommentAuthorsbdb2099

Kyle,

i just sat in front of my Laptop for a good while searching for things i could criticize. I went through all the things AJ listed... and found nothing. Then suddenly... a brainwave. Those ferns are way to big for my taste in comparison to the track(second picture). To fortify that massive point of criticism i did a quick Google image search. You know, don´t criticize things you can´t back up...

...you win Mr. Sloane.

Ok, serious now ;). This is just great...i mean what else is there to say? There is no remaining work left you are bad at. That giant Frisbee already looks awesome(btw. that and a Gyro Drop Tower like Scream are the two things i really had hoped for to be realistically modeled/scripted for NL2...chances are good i guess :D). I´m really looking forward to see this in motion.

(not the right place but now that i´m writing: that was the only thing i would criticize on Heretic...it is a bit too fast for my nitpicky taste ;)

I hope that you will show many other projects here
    Daniel :D
    Posted By: DC High HeatMantis does that but Green Lantern does not.

Oops, I just assumed. Of course it's never that simple! lol
    Posted By: DC High HeatMantis does that but Green Lantern does not. The design Green Lantern as a whole is a lot more fluid, for better or worse. I personally like the banking whips on...well any coaster really, but to me it takes a bit away from a standup to have high verticals and less whip. I'd prefer low verticals and quicker banking, but that's just me.

I think you mean Mantis is more fluid?

^^whatever you want lol
    Nah man watch an onride. Mantis transitions are faster throughout...compare the rotation on the low hill before the MCBR. I'm not watching right now but I guarantee you'll see the difference. Chang/Green Lantern is newer...and you already know B&M's trend over time. That alone means one can guess that Green Lantern has banking transitions even if the only thing you know is it's a newer clone without having exactly the same trackwork. Also as I said Green Lantern's drop is very drawn out...the middle is almost flat for a while, hence why it isn't as steep.
    • CommentAuthorReal
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2014

Posted By: DC High HeatNah man watch an onride. Mantis transitions are faster throughout...compare the rotation on the low hill before the MCBR. I'm not watching right now but I guarantee you'll see the difference. Chang/Green Lantern is newer...and you already know B&M's trend over time. That alone means one can guess that Green Lantern has banking transitions even if the only thing you know is it's a newer clone without having exactly the same trackwork. Also as I said Green Lantern's drop is very drawn out...the middle is almost flat for a while, hence why it isn't as steep.

Quoted for truth. Mantis has some intensely fast rotation speeds.

We always called Chang Mantis 1.2. Because it took what Mantis did, and did it slightly different. Drop isnt as severe. Transitions and elements more drawn out. Mantis is fit into a much tighter plot of land - by design - because of the plot of land they worked with. But GL/Chang is definitely more drawn out than Mantis.

However, I would rather have high verticals and less whippy. I know how to ride Mantis and it still rubs my ears raw in 1-2 rides. I also cannot enjoy the backseat because of how fast the rotations are.
    • CommentAuthors 52 s
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2014

I'm drooling from the banking and smoothness of the layout. I think we'd all like to see an overview! ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDC High Heat
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2014 edited

It's been a while since Mantis, but generally speaking I'm tall enough that I don't really hit my head on restraints usually during quick transitions. High verticals on the other hand are uncomfortable in the standing position, though Green Lantern didn't bother me too much...I think because I knew how to ride. For my one and only Mantis ride back in 2003, I had a bit of space above my seat and took all the forces in my legs...and had my calf cramp up on and off the rest of the day. On Green Lantern, I distribute my weight between the seat and floor, so it's not too bad. Still, fast rotations are wild and fun to me, high forces are just high forces...they don't do much. That's why I like the second half of Batman better than the first, for example.

Note that I rode in the second row on Mantis, and as a whole the ride felt a bit lackluster...I think because the pacing wasn't great. It was my first legit standup (only rode Shockwave KD before that) so I didn't know really what to expect, but Raptor was infinitely better all around for me. I think I would've liked it better in the back because of the drops in particular, so if I go back that's what I'll try first. I'll just know to expect a bit of roughness on transitions.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2014

As a B&M hyper fan I'll be watching this one very closely. ;)

So far it looks fantastic, the environment is stunning.
    poster-2014-05-06-19-46-47
    poster-2014-05-06-19-48-44
    poster-2014-05-06-19-48-05
    poster-2014-05-06-19-49-43
    touched the last one up a bit

Do you guys see the difference?
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2014

Oh Mah God!
    I honestly don't see anything special about this ride to be honest and blunt to a point. I mean, sure it's a cool environment and nl2 looks great but other than that, it's just an old school hyper...... You can call me over critical but I'm not going to let the environment overshadow the quality of the track work itself.
    Dude... you're killing it with the environments. Those trees are spectacular. Thanks for more sneak peeks of the layout, it's looking good as always.

Posted By: monster14042it's just an old school hyper

Not really...?

Posted By: monster14042You can call me over critical but I'm not going to let the environment overshadow the quality of the track work itself

Did you even see Heretic? Or any of Kyle's NL1 projects? This guy can build. Addressing your point, he's really just now upping his game with the environments and theming. The trackwork was probably his best attribute from his earlier works. I can already tell from the pictures that this one is going to be top-tier as well.
    Regarding the "old school hyper" comment: Look at most older hypers such as raging bull, the layout is more compacted with several turnarounds and overbanks, not out and back like Behemoth or Diamondback or Intimidator or Shambhala or Nitro, etc. I think it's pretty well defined in these pictures that it's a more compact layout with several turnarounds and overbanks (not to mention the pre drop *cough cough* old school style) along with the 4 across seating (the only newer exception being Leviathan). Point proven?......Good.....

Heretic was not that good to be honest.... sorry, but it just wasn't.... it felt like a lazy attempt at a rocket coaster (with a semi poorly shaped Norwegian Loop (ride it side by side with Speed Monster or Fahrenheit and you'll see)) topped off with some scripts and some very high quality environment tweaks and very good .3ds.... I understand the time and effort that was put into it but as I said before, I'm not going to let "okay" trackwork be overshadowed by .3ds. And just to restate my point, I don't care how good the .3ds is, if your trackwork isn't as great as what it could be, I'll comment and tell you how I feel ..... Ranting completed.

EDIT: Oh, and I know I'm going against the feelings of the masses here so I will take the heat and dish it right back if so needed (and mods, don't think I'm calling for trouble, I'm just not going to stand for the fanboys who feel that just because a ride is made by someone like Kyle; who has a large support group, that it deserves 10's when it really doesn't *coughing* AJ....)
    • CommentAuthorKyle Sloane
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2014 edited

Yeah Idk track work is still really the main reason I build. Heretic was only there really as a template for testing nl2's abilities. The track work was done over a year ago on that, although the trackwork really wasn't terrible on that. My best track work is definitely my Hulk Inspired coaster which I just don't have the stamina to finish right now. But I would consider this to be fairly good trackwork as well.

I'm up for a challenge so give me a style that you think would be difficult and I'll do that instead. I get tired of everyone telling me that my trackwork is flawless and dishing out tens when it never is. I get used to getting away with small things, so I would love to have someone look more closely at it.
    • CommentAuthors 52 s

I would love to see an Inverted Intamin coaster, like Tornado at Sarkanniemi.

I actually really like the layout, but it would be neat to give you a challenge! Like Dylan said, it is nice that you haven't let all the popularity get to your head. I hate when people get extremely cocky because they get praised.
    I wasn't going to comment on this because i didn't want to make any enemies. But the honesty from Cody (monster) was refreshing. Kyle, your response makes me so happy. In my short time so far on this forum, i have noticed that many users and mods play favorites. Many threads go untouched and un-commented on because the user that creates the thread isn't that well known, and the users that are known get massive hype for any ride they make. I believe this needs to change in order to improve this forum. My $0.02
    Well said Kyle, well said. I respect that and feel free to add me on Skype man, I definitely wouldn't mind giving a second opinion. :)
    •  
      CommentAuthor1blueshe

wow this has to be the most beautiful ending to a fight I have ever seen on the NL exchange considering some I have seen in the past lol
    I have to agree I'm pleased with how that went down verses how I expected it to when I read the comment... I just want to say, monster, I agree, a few users fan bases tend to exaggerate the extent of the users abilities and when it comes to Kyle I admit I am very much a fan, honestly. But I still didn't feel the trackwork "wasn't that great". Like Kyle said himself, it wasn't his best trackwork however it was definitely better than a lot of the tracks I see getting praise these days. I see details in Kyles trackwork that many don't even realize exist in real coasters or at least stuggle to capture it. He definitely has an eye for trackwork but I'm not trying to say he's perfect. I do appreciate you being willing and perhaps daring enough to point out the inflation of ratings that exists in many popular users creations but I did have a question and a comment.

I was a little confused what you were trying to prove when you explained how it was an "old B&M hyper" when Kyle said in his first post that that's exactly what he is going for. The other thing was your "cough AJ" comment... I feel that was rude and unnecessary especially when I personally believe AJ knows what a good rate is and how it should be done. I guess that makes me a little biased for both AJ an Kyle but I just wanted to share my opinion on the matter.
    •  

Posted By: monster14042that it deserves 10's when it really doesn't *coughing* AJ....)

When did I say it deserves 10's? I think I'd be the last person to rate 10's. lol I'm just saying that I'm expecting that this will be a quality ride. Of course, I could always be wrong! I understand your comment how it's modeled after an old-school B&M hyper, but it definitely has variety of other B&M coasters mixed in and isn't just the norm. There's zillions of other replications of B&M coasters, this one at least does some different stuff.

My post probably sounded more kiss-ass than intended. I think it's still applicable though. I think Kyle is one of those people that (at least used to) actively seek help from skilled people to get the right details in. People nowadays don't like to do that.

Posted By: 6FlagsManiacIn my short time so far on this forum, i have noticed that many users and mods play favorites.

I do want to be clear on this: you can be absolutely assured mods aren't playing favorites. This is probably not what your post was entailing, but I do want to be officially clear in that we never alter stuff to give people advantages. I personally don't rate much anymore because most people don't want critical rates. The times I've done it, people reject it. I tend to only rate for those who think they'd actually like it. I haven't rated Heretic because I already had the package (and my FPS is terrible), but I would definitely know of some places to start.

I've gotta say that the newer guys here have been kicking ass lately. I think NL2's building style has really opened the doors for some people that NL1 limited. The potential Steam release would likely be a massive floodgate-opening of new users too. I can't say that I'm in the game myself anymore, other than dropping opinions, cleaning TOGO Fan spam, and throwing up a video.

Maybe I need to go back to 2009-era where I finished all of my slightly aimed thoughts with smiley faces! :D please dont visit my posts from 2009 theyre embarassing
    • CommentAuthorsbdb2099

Interesting discussion. I would like to tell my opinion on what monster brought up with his comment(a few things in there that i don´t understand to be honest), but i think it´s the wrong place. But...here is a little comment on Maniacs opinion:

Posted By: 6FlagsManiac... Many threads go untouched and un-commented on because the user that creates the thread isn't that well known, and the users that are known get massive hype for any ride they make. I believe this needs to change in order to improve this forum. My $0.02

This is a good point. I guess it´s a lot easier to write a comment about something you already like and will most certainly be way above the "average" quality. Whether it´s a certain track style well executed, exceptional work on environments, impressive support work...et cetera. Offering constructive criticism can be a lot of work and is connected to personal interests. There is no absolute right or wrong for many situations on here.
    I agree that there is too much unreflected hype here and there and i can´t absolve myself from this point. I sometimes try to be a little ironic or make fun of myself because of the somehow "useless" comment which doesn't has any purpose besides giving a little motivation to go on in these cases maybe...much easier and less time consuming. AJ´s comments in bigjoe´s thread came to mind and are an excellent example how it could be ideally.
    I recently invested a good amount of time commenting Maniacs Phoenix and didn´t regret it afterwards ;). I certainly would like to do this more often(while i´m not loaded with wisdom of course!) but i simply can´t do this timewise and (unsatisfactory) because of personal interests.

Here we are again, more then i initially wanted to write. Sorry for the thread hijack Kyle.

The new perspectives look great and for what this should be, it´s awesome.

(damn it, another thought: I´m not really familiar with Intamin tracks, but from the pictures Heretic was pretty much perfect for me. After seeing the pov i found it was too fast as said above. Maybe i would find even more critic points if i get my hands on that and ride it personally. I´m almost certain about that. Long story short: first comments on those impressive pictures are different to a good rating where one invests a lot of time...stating the obvious...i know...sorry ;D)

Finally, it´s about fun in the first place
    Daniel :)
    Posted By: Ajax_CoastersI was a little confused what you were trying to prove when you explained how it was an "old B&M hyper" when Kyle said in his first post that that's exactly what he is going for.
    I was simply explaining my point to AJ. As in the quote below, it appeared to me as if he felt it wasn't "old school"...
    Posted By: AJClarke0912Not really...?
    This has since been clarified and is thereby irrelevant.

Posted By: Ajax_CoastersThe other thing was your "cough AJ" comment... I feel that was rude and unnecessary
    Well, if you were looking at it from my perspective; at the time (THIS IS AT THE TIME, NOT NOW) of getting that response by AJ, I felt that it was basically inferring that I was unable to comprehend that Heretic was an amazing ride and should reconsider my opinion on the matter of Heretic. As he said himself though in a later post, his "post probably sounded more kiss-ass than intended ", which I completely agree with and can be used as the reason for a smart assed response.... I know I'm being slightly defensive in my arguments, but come on, the forums aren't always flowery smelling poop and sparkling butterflies, similar to how some people would like them to be.

Also, I'm not the type of person to stand back and be named as the bad guy just because I was voicing my opinion, so the moral of the story, "If you don't like it, don't read it."
    •  

Yeah, I don't think either of us intended to start all of this discussion. I questioned monster and he gave a completely valid response. While I did't completely agree with his opinion, that was the point of discussing/arguing. I'm like him in that I have to defend myself lol. Respectful disagreement is a wonderful thing.

The only bits that turned me off were the assumptions about how the staff runs this site. Remember, I too used to be a member a year ago and posted wall-o-text stuff just like I do now. When I became mod, I didn't necessarily want to stop doing that. I love good discussion.

I think that last statement of my other post holds true. I promise you I'm never as serious as some of you may depict me to be. Maybe visualize a smiley after each sentence if it makes you feel better!

Anyway, let's get back to topic, for the sake of Kyle and everyone else viewing these threads.
    •  
      CommentAuthor6FlagsManiac

I think i should clarify, when i said people played favorites it had nothing to do with how you run the site. I was referring to the "fan-boying".
    I love the attempt at reaching a sort of utopian ideal that is unfortunately nonexistent in the real world. The favorites will be praised and the unknowns will go unnoticed unless proven otherwise (like Disney). I mean its not that big of a deal. Also, its important to realize that with the development of nl2 and its large variety of capabilities and uses, such as scripting, 3DS ease and focus on themed design, surrounding landscping/environments, etc.., has opened up a range of other uses other than the focus on minute details in track work. And another, this over attention to detail in developing coasters that are similar in design to actual attractions and their manufacturers seems a little redundant (though I understand it can be fun and interesting to pay attention to these details) since 1) this method of designing coasters is more for aesthetic and design poses and 2) it can limit the ability to develop uniquely innovative projects.

Interesting topic though and I definitely appreciate the maturity and knowledge im this community.

Great ride though Kyle. The surrounding forest may be a little too full and imposing on the coaster. I love the first dive into the pverbank. It should be interesting to see it supported and how that will have an overall appearance of the ride since I feel right now the only visually strong portion of the ride is that first drop and overbank. Cant wait to see more.
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2014 edited

poster-2014-05-27-23-56-31
    poster-2014-05-27-23-59-05
    poster-2014-05-28-00-01-46
    (3.5k faces only)

This was a 50 sample example so its not high quality, but im just demonstrating that from now on im going to be able basically photorealistic scenery thanks to cycles baking! Sorry for spamming the forums guys this is just a crazy feature im really excited about XD

Cant wait to build a ride to use this new process with the scenery..
    • CommentAuthorElvenage
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2014

and I'm still over here trying to remember the shortcut to put in a new plane in blender...sheesh.

looks amazing!
    •  
      CommentAuthorGiftaddict
    • CommentTimeJun 2nd 2014

Wow O_o ! This is absolutely amazing! Where did you activate the exposure? Directly in the 3d modeler?
    ^Not sure exactly what you mean
    • CommentAuthorMGCD
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2014

^I believe he is asking where you took the screenshot, in the editor or the modeler. With spline export options in nl2 now it is reasonable to believe this would be taken in a modeler, considering the track, but this is definitely nl2.
    Oh yeah I took it in game.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGiftaddict
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2014

Thanks for the precision! I thought you had exported the track and made a render directly in a 3d modeler.
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2014 edited

Just cuz I haven't given an update in awhile on what I've been actually working on:

The rest of the layout should come fairly quickly since the most difficult elements to perfect are in place. Im really excited about this one! Colors and supports are definitely NOT final.

Image sizes fixed as per the forum rules- staff
    •  
      CommentAuthorGiftaddict
    • CommentTimeJun 30th 2014

Wow! I love how realistic is the environment and the track color. I like the supports color a little less but as you said, it's not final :) !
    •  
      CommentAuthornolimiters

You always build such of awesome things! The terrain you make for you rides is amazing too.
    Looks very good. Can't wait to see more
    •  
      CommentAuthordapalm

Looks very nice, I like that strange zero G roll. I would make the grass and terrain a bit greener. It would look awesome.
    •  
      CommentAuthorskyasaurus

beautiful colors. interested how you plan on wrapping this layout up.
    How come you're not working on the hyper anymore? I thought it looked pretty good. This new looper looks really stereotypical loop/dive/roll/cobra in a row. Other than the terrain it and the zero G shaping it's pretty forgettable to me. I hope you have some good plans for the finale.
    The layout looks good, if the loop wrapped around the lift I would've thought it was Kumba, which with the colours and savannah terrain I figured inspired you? The exit of the zero G seems to have its roll extended about 30% too much, and I almost want to take the middle of the drop out of it and squish it down. It would be OK to have a flat section before the cobra, but then it would definitely be a kumba clone.