Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2014

So i decided to start my own thread. Of stuff.. and things.. Others have done it, so why not.
    I'll be using this thread to post images and/or info of any projects i'm working on, rather than having it spread out over numerous other threads.
    And i guess i can also use it to make announcements, like this.

My Thomas the Tank Engine coaster is now up and running. It can be downloaded here.

:)
    • CommentAuthorsprog
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2014

Loved the Thomas ride Womp, great fun - I'll drop a rate later when I've got a bit more time!
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2014

I'd like to see a YouTube video of that coaster that could be rounded up...

-Ride_Op
    • CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2014 edited

^^ Thanks Sprog, i'm glad you liked it. :)

^ Ride_Op, that would be great to have it featured in a Roundup. Unfortunately, i don't actually upload stuff to Youtube, but if anyone out there has d'loaded the ride and would like to do up a (good) video of my Thomas coaster for Ride_Op to use in a Roundup, you're more than welcome to do so. As long as i get royalties, lol :P

Anyway, time for some pictures. I know you all like pictures..
    These are just a few projects i'm currently working on. Two of which are updated versions of some of my NL1 creations, and one is brand spanking new.

Angry Birds..
    Angry Birds
    Trying to decide if i should keep it as 3 cars, or bump it up to 4.. 3 cars gives it a nice 'bird-ish' look, as the train's not too long.

Deja Vu..
    Deja Vu
    My awesome Deja Vu re-creation, will be even better and more detailed than my original NL1 version.

Megaman XL..
    Megaman XL
    The 'L' stands for launch.. ;)

Angry Birds and Deja Vu are both still very much work in progress, as they need some attention (visible in the Deja Vu image) after being imported and heartlined. Deja Vu is giving me a headache at the moment, pulling some red G's in a spot that never used to go red in NL1.. So i have to fix that. And numerous other things.
    But that's a little teaser of what's in store. I'm also currently working on a big piece of support scenery. Don't wanna say too much just yet (in case it doesn't work out the way i hoped), but if it turns out well, i'll include it in a coaster i had an idea for, and that will be themed around this object.

That's all for now. I have plenty of other ideas and stuff that will show up here as they unfold and take shape.
    • CommentAuthorsprog

^
    Re: Thomas Video - I'll be willing to give it a go, you can review it before I put it out publically if you'd like!

Angry birds I'm intrigued by, a 3-row floorless seems like a neat idea as you'd be able to throw it through much sharper, more twisted moves, almost like a eurofighter. Car texture is brilliant too, slightly hilarious but something I can see being done in real life.
    • CommentAuthorMGCD

^agreed, angry birds car texture = hilarious and original
    Good job man, I like the originality of your concepts.
    may we see more views of these coasters?
    • CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2014 edited

@ Sprog: Oh, that would be great. I'd love to see what you can come up with. Go for it. :) When it's all done, just whisper me the link on here and i'll have a look.
    The original NL1 version of my Angry Birds coaster is already on the exchange, and can be d'loaded here. Only thing is that you have to run it in NL1, as when you import it into NL2, it gets a bit messed up.

@ MGCD: Sure, you can see some more pics. The first 2 both have supports sticking through the track at the moment, as they're still in that NL1-NL2 transition phase and look a bit messy, lol. And Megaman still only has a half finished layout. But i'll grab a few more screens for you and pop them on here tomorrow night.
    • CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2014 edited

Ok. More pictures. :D
    Nothing new, just some different shots of what i showed above.

Angry bird A
    'Slingshot' & launch

bird B
    As you can see, the supports are currently a bit.. out of whack.

bird C
    Here's a view of the layout.

D-vu
    We all know what Deja Vu looks like, but here's how mine currently looks. Still working on cob. roll shaping, and the (frustratingly annoying) loop. I'm taking a break from this at the moment, lol. This is based on the one at SFMM (or the Deja Vu that USED to be there, rather..)

Megaman A

megaman B
    That's all i've done on Megaman so far. I'm still working on it.

And of course, they all feature the obligatory clearance envelope fashion piece.
    • CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2014

Right. I have here a picture of a little something that i've been working on lately.. A little something that will blow your minds.

Anyone who watches Monster Jam will recognise this beast..

El Toro Loco

El Toro Loco.
    Lovingly re-created entirely out of support beams. You can't really see from this angle, but i even made an engine and fuel tank in the back. If anyone wants to see some more shots from different angles, just ask.
    Here's a link to a pic of the real thing, for those who may not know about it. And for comparison.

Now, you're probably all wondering why i've done this. Well it's going to be used as a scenery piece for a coaster that i had an idea for one night. And that i'll be showing teaser pics of later on, as it progresses and takes shape.

There is no way i would have been able to make this in NL1, and it just goes to show what's possible with the new support beam options in NL2.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHLcoasters
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2014 edited

looking cool but the color is more red on the original one, if you look at that pic
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeMay 19th 2014 edited

Wow that's incredible! I didn't know Brett has a son.
    ^ Proud of him too <3
    • CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeMay 20th 2014

^ Thanks dad, lol. :P
    And King and HL :)

Looking at various pics of the truck on Google, the colour seems to vary from red-orange, to orange-orange. I don't know if it's down to lighting conditions at the time they were taken, or the team actually changing the colours slightly every so often. The image i was looking at for the body colour was more of an orange-orange. Plus, there's even yellow and black variants that i didn't know existed, until i started Googling images of it.
    • CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2014

Since this is my thread of stuff in general, and not purely a roller coaster based thread, i thought i'd share some other things with you all.

I have Gran Turismo 5 on my PS3, and i used to race online with a small group of friends all the time. But I also like playing around in photo mode in the game. Taking neat pictures/action shots from a saved replay of a race, or at a nice location in the photo travel mode. I also have GT6, and i snapped a few shots in that, but i don't play that anymore. (the physics are broken..)

So here's a small selection of pics i've taken in GT5. I have many more saved on my pc, but these are 3 of my faves. I wasn't sure if i should put these in the Photography thread, or stick em here. Yes, they're photos, but they're not real photos, lol. So they're going in here.

Lotus Esprit
    Lotus Esprit V8 interior shot. I like the way this one turned out.

Lambo Murc SV
    Lamborghini Murcielago SV

Lancia Delta
    Lancia Delta HF Integrale road car
    That last one is great! How do you get pictures like that? Ive only ever gotten the not-in-motion ones :/
    • CommentAuthorAlbo85

Nice pics! I'm more a Forza motorsport 4 gamer what you think about that?
    • CommentAuthorMGCD

^Forza ftw
    Sick shots tho.
    • CommentAuthorWomp83

Thanks peeps. :)

@ Ajax: When taking a pic from a replay, i set the camera panning mode to the 2nd option, so the camera will pan/track with the car, rather than having the camera sitting still at trackside. Otherwise you end up with a blurry car if you leave panning at the default setting. Then i play around with shutter speeds and other filters till i see something that looks awesome. :P And bam, you end up with that 3rd shot, lol.

@ Albo: Personally, i've never played Forza 4. I've played others (briefly played Forza 2 and 3 some time ago) but not 4. So i can't really draw comparison between it and GT5/6. I have heard people say that Forza 4 has better car sounds than GT, and i'd have to believe that. As some things in GT5 sounded shocking.

I'll find a few more good shots i've taken, and upload them later on.
    • CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2014

Few more GT5 pics here.

caterham
    Caterham 7 @ Nurburg. I'd often clip that kerb and put things up on 2 wheels, lol

tank car
    Jay Leno's Tank car... in the snow..

viper
    ACR Viper

and here's one from GT6.

nova
    Chevy Nova
    • CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeJun 17th 2014

A little something i'm working on at the moment.. My first coaster to make use of the Eurofighter style trains.

coaster project
    I don't know that I've ever seen a top hat as the second element before (but I am a little ignorant about that, I haven't been on NL-E for very long) but I like it!
    • CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2014

Well, if you count a helix as an element, then the immelman is the second and the tophat is actually the third. But inversion-wise, yes, tophat is 2nd. I like to mix things up. ;)
    Thanks for your comment, Roblox.
    • CommentAuthorLyle

What's that Orange bars hold on trains above screen?? I never see before..

Lyle
    • CommentAuthorElvenage

It's a clearance envelope. A built in object for nl2 that allows you to attach it to the back of a train and check to see if it his anything.
    • CommentAuthorLyle
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2014

Thanks

Lyle
    • CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2014

Wow.. Been a whole month since the last comment in here.

Anyway, here's something.
    Little update on my Megaman XL invert i posted about in here back in May. I've got a few things i'm currently working on, i tend to jump between projects. Don't we all?
    But.. Here's some work-in-progress shots of 2 scenery items i'm making for it.
    First up is a custom station that was never meant to happen. I'd never planned on building a custom station, and it started off as a test project to help me learn some things things in Blender. But i started to like the way it was taking shape. So, why not.

station

Ignore the grainy parts in the image. I'm still not sure how to get rid of that completely.. without having to sit through a 20-30 min render. :P
    And it's my first time i've done a custom station building, so.. be gentle. lol

Next is an object i'm re-creating from the game Megaman X, to use as theming. I also included the item as it appears in the game, in case people didn't know what the hell it is.

tank

I think it's called a light tank. Once again, ignore the grainy bits.
    They'll (hopefully) look a lot better once i work out how to properly texture them. And then make said textures work in NL2.
    And also when i figure out how to make the custom station lights actually give off light.

Right, that's all for now. Back to doing whatever it is i do..
    • CommentAuthorMGrides
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2014

Looking really good! I like the idea behind a lot! A very interesting idea. Unfortunatly i gave up on blender, since i had to tun my brain upside down to get familiar with the interface. But i know it´s a powerfull program. I don´t know what you´ve on your list but if all the details will having such many faces/polygon, it will maybe lag on weaker pc´s. NL2 can take A LOT of scenery (especially since the last update came out) but the maximum is set by the power of the user-pc. I know there is a LOD modifier in blender, maybe you can take a look at it. Otherwise i recommand to set some clipping in NL2 (NL2SCO Editor) for objects which aren´t necessary to be there at a defined distance, to avoid lag. Especially if you plan to create a queue where objects are inside of buildings. Can´t wait to see more of this project! =)
    • CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2014

^ Thanks MG. :) And that brings me to my next point..
    I'm still fairly new to the whole 3ds thing, and as such, i'm still working out LOD's. (which i have a question about, but i'll drop that in the 'Ask' thread) That's why my pictured models look a little blocky and rough. I figured i wouldn't worry about making them too high detail, cause they might lag for some people. My machine handles them fine, but still, that's my pc. I do realise that other people's machines may struggle with them, so i'll see what i can do. And i did find the LOD modifier thing in Blender. Just gotta figure out how to make it work now, lol.

Don't worry, i'm not planning on going overboard with detail on these. And i may even end up leaving them un-textured, since i'm still learning that process..
    • CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2014

Small announcement..

*clears throat*

The NL2 version of my Angry Birds Coaster is now finished and on the exchange. It can be found right here.
    • CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2014

Yay! Progress shots of something i'm working on! :P

toro loco 1
    toro loco 2

I'm working on some other scenery items for this, but one object may end up being far too detailed and complex to use. As i'm having trouble keeping it low poly.. So i may have to leave it out altogether. Which will be a shame, as i'd really like to finish it off, and include it in this.

We'll see how things unfold..
    • CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2014

Attention people:

My El Toro Loco coaster now thunders it's way onto the Exchange.

Go and check it out. I'll leave it here for your convenience.
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

You used the wrong support connectors.
    • CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2014 edited

Really? How so?
    Cause i just looked at various images of Eurofighter coasters like Takabisha etc, to see what the supports looked like. Then did mine like that, with my own little twist.

I know the Eurofighters in NL2 don't have their own specific track connectors like the B&M, 4D or corkscrew coasters do. I just used the 'track default' option. But i think mine look alright.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraw555000
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2014 edited

Womp...I've rated the El Toro Loco, please don't hate me but it was very drawn out and that really detracted from the experience. I'm sorry.
    ^Also if you ride it for long enough, multiple trains go on the same block and it crashes.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraw555000

^ I thought it was gonna have an issue like that, It was either gonna be holding a car upside-down on the lift (major no no) or a crash issue.
    • CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2014 edited

^ Yeah, i've just noticed this issue.. As it was mentioned in some of the comments on my ride. I didn't get a chance to let the sim run for an extended period of time before i uploaded. Normally i would, but it just slipped my mind this time. I've had a few things in life that have been a bit hectic lately, so that's prob why i overlooked it.

So as i've now added to my coaster description, i really have no idea why it's doing this. I tried putting a train in storage so only 4 trains are running, still happens. I added another block section, still happens. I ran the sim at 4x speed to check it. Sometimes it ran for a bit and did at least 2 full cycles before it happened. Another time it happened to the very first train to go round. So yeah, it's very random. If a train does get stuck on the end brake run, just reset the sim and start again.

I didn't intend for it to do this, but thank you to those who noticed it and let me know.

I forgot to add this earlier..
    @ AW: As always, there's a method to my madness, lol. I designed it that way for a reason. Allow me to explain.
    I know a lot of people on here like tight compact things. And i know Eurofighters are usually like that. However, i didn't want to upload a vanilla Eurofighter with a cookie cutter Eurofighter layout like every other coaster of that type in existence, or on the exchange. I wanted to step away from that, and do something different. So that's why it's a bit bigger and more drawn out than something of that style normally would be.
    • CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2014

Who wants to play a game?
    Well we're gonna play one anyway, so tough, lol.

I had another idea for a coaster just recently, it was around the same time as my Trogdor idea. Anyway, your clue is this very cryptic mystery screen shot i took.

screen 1

I have another clue i could give out, but it's a very obvious clue. And i didn't want to make this too easy. :P So i'll save it for later, as a last resort if everyone's really stumped.

Let's see if anyone can guess what this is. :)
    Two people on here already know what it is, so if either of you see this, don't give it away, hahaha.

Good luck.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraw555000
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2014

I appreciate you don't want the sterotypical eurofighter compact layout and often I feel the same, sometimes I even think they're too compact to be enjoyable but your coaster was too drawn out, check out my coaster Robin Hood it was praised for being so drawn out and sprawled, as was my other Eurofighter Maleficent. Imo coasters should flow naturally with the type, speed and direction and its great that you wanna break the normal eurofighter design and my advice is in the future don't make it as drawn out just more sprawling, people enjoy it and it allows you to do alot more with elements, speed and themeing.

Btw your new coaster looks interesting, I look forward to it :)
    • CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2014 edited

^ AW, you don't even know what my new coaster is yet, lol. ;) I have two that i'm just starting to work on.

Anyway, here's another mystery pic of my mystery object. Maybe that previous one was a bit too difficult for you all. Not that this one is any easier, muahaha.. *ahem* sorry..

screen 2

I'm pretty certain everyone has seen this object before, in one way or another. At least i hope you all have. If not, then i'm very disappointed in you. :P

Good luck.
    • CommentAuthorliamy321
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2014

Looks like something from Oblivion at Alton Towers.. Close?
    • CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2014

No, sorry Liamy. It's got nothing to do with Oblivion. You're way off. In fact, this mystery object is not a part of any roller coaster at all.
    But i can see how you thought it may be Oblivion related. That wasn't a bad guess.

It's difficult to think of a clue without giving it away too much..

Ok, here's one. Think of film, television & cinema.
    • CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2014

Looks like only 1 person has taken a stab at guessing my mystery item. Don't tell me i have to post the easy clue..

*sigh*

Ok. Here you go. Someone SHOULD guess it now, lol.

clue..

What is the mystery item that Womp is working on?
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

The DeLorean! Yay!
    • CommentAuthorSpike

Haha, I don't know how you expected us to get those first two clues!

Will this be an entire Back To The Future ride?
    • CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2014

^ Lol Spike, i didn't wanna make it TOO easy..
    But anyway, i present the Back To The Future DeLorean.

Delorean rear
    Delorean front

Yes, it will be a Back To The Future themed coaster, done to the best of my NL2 abilities. Yes, it will launch at 88mph. No, you won't travel backwards or forwards through time. :P The model shell in the above images, i've designed it to slip neatly over the top of an Intamin hyper car. Hence why i've stumbled upon and mentioned the Intamin hyper clipping issues just recently, lol. Unlike in the above image, i prob won't make the tail lights light up in NL. I just did that for the render image. But i have made the under sides of the wheels 'glow'. It does look quite good in place. I can upload a screenie of it attached to the coaster car, if anyone wants to see.
    It will also make use of LOD settings.

I haven't started working on this coaster yet, i've just been working on the DeLorean model, and plotting out ideas for a custom station for the ride. So far, all i have is some boring station track, lol. Also been working on ideas for my Trogdor ride too... :P And i have a Megaman invert coaster to finish off as well.
    All in due time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTDeHart

I would LOVE to see that with the lights under the tires. This is such a cool idea!
    •  
      CommentAuthoraw555000

That is awesome, you should add headlights to the front and red brake likes at the back for the night time riders, would add a whole new dimension! Really looking forward to this!
    • CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2014 edited

Thanks guys. :)

I tweaked a few things..

delorean night 1
    ..and made it fly, lol. In this pic, think of the second movie, and imagine Doc Brown leaning out the side, yelling out to Marty, before he's struck by lightning.

delorean night 2

How do those look? I know it's not much, compared to what some people can do with lighting. But for now, that's the only way i know how to make custom things light up.
    I could add some custom NL2SCO spots hidden inside the headlights, to give off a beam of light for added effect.. But for performance reasons on other machines, i may leave that out.

If someone can instruct me on how to do proper custom object lights, eg, have them actually switch on using the NL2 lightscript like the default NL2 scene lights and station lights do, and give off ambient light, that would be much appreciated. Keeping in mind i'm still fairly new to this whole 3DS thing.
    If someone could possibly do that for me, it would be even more appreciated, lol.

I also thought about doing a little instrument display for it, but i didn't know whether to make it left or right hand drive. :P
    Yes, the movie car is left hand drive, but where i come from, we drive on the other side. And technically, a coaster car doesn't have a 'driver's side'. So i won't worry about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraw555000
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2014

I think that looks amazing, I'm far from an expert with scripting but you could attach the inbuilt light to the car and attach the script to the light then it would be go on and off, its what I do with my lights, just food for though but this looks really amazing Womp, if you need any help with anything just gimme a holler :)