Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2015

Ok, so i've done up a few mildly different colour themes for my Megaman train.

Megaman train

Mainly seat & restraint combos. The main dark blue of the train body/frame is staying. Let me know which one you all like the look of.
    •  
      CommentAuthorzampano

2 by far! Looks great.
    •  
      CommentAuthormcrc.2305

2 and 4 look the best. I am not a fan of 3 and 1 looks just fine.
    • CommentAuthorsprog

I'd say 2 is best, followed by 4.
    • CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2015 edited

I had a feeling people would pick no. 2, lol.
    I don't mind 2 either, but i didn't want to have too much blue on the train. So i was leaning towards 3 and 4 as well since the different harness colour breaks up all the blue. And i've already done a few things with black or near black seats or restraints, as it seems to be the default 'go to' colour for those.
    I currently have it on colour theme 2. Maybe i'll go back and tweak the car textures to add some other colours here or there. Is it just me, or is it really difficult thinking of a good colour theme for a ride?

Thanks for your input guys.

Oh, also, if anyone on here has d'loaded my Waterlogged ride: Have you found Cecil the golden chicken yet?
    He'll be in my Starwing ride too, when that's all done. I'm deciding if i should put a little space helmet on him for that one or not, hahaha.
    • CommentAuthorCCJared

1, easily.
    I agree about there being too much blue, 4 looks the best to me.
    • CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2015 edited

Well i've had a change of mind, and i've settled on the 4th colour scheme with the black restraints, for my Megaman train. But i'm yet to go back and look at the car texture files to see if i can change some other colours there.

And in other news:
    I'm happy to announce that the layout for my Starwing coaster is now complete. *yay* Currently working on adding extra scene objects/general scenery placement, but i still need to support it (it's going through a tough time..) and set up the on ride audio.

screenie

How does the name 'Starwing: The Ride' sound? I was considering names like 'Starwing: Corneria Rush' or 'Starwing: Corneria Blast', but the latter of those two sounded like a medical procedure..
    "Honey, can you drive me to the doctor's tomorrow? I need to have a corneria blast, and won't be able to drive myself home afterwards.."

Megaman XL is at the same stage. Layout completed and needs to be supported and scenerised.

I never thought i'd see this day. *wipes tear from eye*
    I'd go with either starfox (wing) the ride. best for what you got going. finish those supports! I must have this soon!
    •  
      CommentAuthoraw555000
    • CommentTimeAug 5th 2015

I think "Starfox: The Ride". Good choice with colour scheme 4 for the Megaman coaster!
    • CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2015 edited

I've made some progress on Megaman XL, supports are all placed, and i'm just going around cleaning them up, modifying them, flangering, etc.
    Changed the rock texture i had on the trench and the surrounding area as well.

image1

I don't even know if i have an image of the old one on here, hahaha, but the old rock texture was much darker, and it wasn't tiled. This one is tiled and looks more closely matched to the rock/ground in the Sting Chameleon stage from Megaman X, that my coaster is themed to.
    And i recently decided to model some of the enemies found in Sting's stage, and i'll be placing those around the layout. Yes, it's a bit more work, but it will add that little bit of extra flair to the ride and liven it up a bit.
    So far, i've only made this guy here. (it looked like the easiest one to do)

image2
    That's exported straight from Blender and had NL2mat's applied, hasn't even touched Sketchup, lol. That way i can make certain parts of my models nice and smooth in Blender, and export them that way for NL, as seen above.
    I don't even think Sketchup has the ability to export smooth edges, but i could be wrong. Maybe i just haven't found that option yet. However when i do that, i can't really add textures without having to UV map. So.. I like the way it's red eye turned out.

So that's where i'm up to with that.
    I'd also like to ask if anyone could offer me some tips on how to make a good custom tree.. *looks in nSeven's direction* ..as i'd like to do up a tree or two like the ones in the forest stage, and pictured below. I'd Mainly need help with the crown or 'leafy area' to use it's scientific name.. The tree trunk i can do.

trees1
    trees2
    An artificial tree with bits of bark missing, revealing a robotic structure underneath. I tried to modify the texture on nSeven's English Elm, but it didn't really turn out the way i'd hoped it would.
    And also if someone could point me in the right direction to find some good machine-like textures (like on the trees in the above shots) that i could use, that would be appreciated. I seem to be having trouble finding something decent to use, that looks similar to the game. (anything with lights, pipes and/or wires etc.. something that looks like the inside of a machine)

Still progressing on Starwing, i've been taking a little break from it, but got back into it tonight. I've got a few B&M style vertical track connectors & supports to do up for it, like those seen on loops and the back of cobra rolls. Those are fun to make, aren't they? haha.
    And after my second one of those, i decided a break was needed. :P
    • CommentAuthorsprog
    • CommentTimeAug 15th 2015

Loving the new model, looks great Womp! And that swoop through the trench looks brilliantly claustrophobic and terrifying!
    • CommentAuthorcaptfido87
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2015

Hey just noticed on the trench shot of megaman a few shots up; the supports in there would look better as i-beams. The round pipe beams just don't fit the mood in the trench
    • CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeAug 17th 2015

^ I suppose i could see how it looks with i-beams. I just used the standard pipes when i first started working on that area so i could easily use the horizontal inverted track connectors. I'll probably have to do some sort of custom connection for an i-beam. Or would the default horizontal invert connector be ok? Since it has those round bits where it joins to a pipe.

And i only just discovered.. That little green robot creature thing i posted up there, that actually has more polys than my Glados model that i made. But i will be giving my Megaman scenery characters a low poly LOD, so no need to worry there.
    • CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2015

Finished another Megaman enemy character.

axe guy
    Still have to do up the spiked log tower thing that he chops at, and throws bits at you.

And i have this as well..

starwing screen
    It's getting very close to being finished, however i'm still looking for some sound effects for some of the scenery items. Trying to find some authentic sound fx from the game to use, but it's not an easy task. But i think i found some last night that will work for me, i just have to tweak them a bit in an audio program.
    • CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2015

Started working on a new project. Interlocked cobra rolls, anyone?

interlocked cobra

Colours may change, but i'd like to keep the yellow, as i'd like to do something bright that will stand out.
    • CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2015

Look at this nasty bugger..

Wouldn't want to cross paths with him.
    I was hoping my Megaman ride wouldn't be too big, but last i checked, the package file was just over 20mb. And i still have more scenery to add. I have a feeling it will be bigger than i expected when it's all done.
    • CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2015

As it seems this will probably be my next project/projects that i'll be working on, here's an early teaser of the trains and colour themes for my C&C: Red Alert coasters.
    All i have thus far is station track, trains, and a few scene objects that still need to be finished off and/or textured. So still a hell of a lot of work to be done.

allies
    The Allies coaster will be set in a default spring/summer environment. Light cloud, green grass, nice weather etc. I'm also trying to make it somewhat of a hyper coaster. Full of airtime hills, bunny hops, highly banked turns, you know, the typical things you see on hypers. It will be a challenge for me, as i don't normally make coasters with no inversions. I may re-do that texture on the medium tank, as i textured it quite some time ago when i was still learning UV Mapping. And also cause the logo on the front of it kinda got messed up and went a bit pixelated for some reason.

soviets
    The Soviet coaster will be set in a winter environment. Bit of fog, snow, cold, etc. It will feature multiple inversions (my preferred type) and probably end up being a launched coaster. Trying to figure out how i'd make bolts of electricity zap out from the tesla coil. I may also incorporate some military looking markings into the train textures to add to the theme.

But the first thing on the list, is figure out what to use for a station building for each ride. I'd like to use one of the game structures as the station, and was thinking of using the barracks buildings (allied, soviet) But they may be a bit small. Might end up using the war factory for the station, as it's a much bigger building. I'll also try my best to make each environment look and feel like something from the game, by doing up some bridges and maybe have patches of ore scattered about.

So that's that. Any suggestions or further ideas to what i have up there are welcome.
    • CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2015

Made some progress on the station buildings for my Red Alert coasters, still very much WIP as you can see. I'm going to use the same structure for both rides, just modified slightly to fit the 2 coaster styles i'm using. It's also cause i'm lazy, and i don't feel like making two completely different station buildings ;)

image1
    image2
    ^ The section of platform that stretches out towards the train, i've since removed the lower part and turned it into just a platform coming off that side area, which will have fat I/H beams supporting it.
    You never see the inside of the buildings in the game, i'm having to improvise the interior as i go along. But i'm sure whatever i come up with will look good.
    • CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2015 edited

Can i get some opinions on something?
    For my C&C Red Alert coasters, i had an idea to make a giant dog tag for a sign above the station entrance, and i'll prob just have the word 'Entrance' on it. Hopefully the text will be bump mapped if i can get that to work well enough.

door sign

What do you think? Does that look good, or is it a bit tacky and i just do a normal sign instead?
    •  
      CommentAuthoraw555000
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2015

Thats look really good man! Loving the dog tag idea!
    •  
      CommentAuthorlamewad

If you can get the bump mapping to look good, thats going to look amazing. I like it a lot.
    • CommentAuthorsprog

Looks great to me!
    • CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2015

Cool, thanks. Dog tag sign it is. :) That won't be the main ride sign, i'll prob whip up something else for that. Or maybe i will use it.. Have 2 huge dog tags out front for the main ride sign. I'll see how the bump mapped text idea goes first.

And to quote the voice over guy from the game, "Construction complete".

station1
    station2

I haven't stamped any text onto the dog tag yet, still working on that as well as the ongoing task of texture hunting. I may change the metal texture on the fence around the platform edges, and add a few bits and pieces to the inside so it doesn't look so bare. But i'm having trouble coming up with ideas for random crap to put in there.
    And as you can see from the top image i was feeling extra lazy, so i'm also using the war factory building for the maintenance/storage shed. But modified yet again, lol. I was thinking of using the service depot from the game as the maintenance shed, but that's just an octagonal pad on the ground, and i think it just looks better with an actual building there. Kinda like a workshop.
    • CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2015

Following DC's comment on my B&M drop in the WDYJD thread:

Posted By: DC High Heat in the 'What did you just do' threadWomp, I suggest shrinking the transition to a circle at the top of your lift, making sure that circle is actually circular, then lengthening the leadout of the pullover and starting your pullout later. Pay attention to the ratio of pullover to pullout on real designs. Do the positives start 2/3 of the way up? 1/2 of the way up? 1/4?

I imported a cylinder into my park and scaled it to fit the crest of my lift, and as you can see from the following image, it was already pretty spot on.

lift & drop

I hardly had to adjust anything in that shot. But i did lengthen the vertical part ever so slightly. But overall, i really haven't changed much since posting the previous image in the 'WDYJD' thread. The track will be mildly below ground level at the bottom of the drop, i'm planning on having it pass through a concrete trench of some sort.
    But i'm quite happy with how that looks. The G's are all good and she tops out at 138km/h at the bottom. So unless someone can see something massively not right with the way it looks, i'm keeping it as is so i can continue working on the rest of the layout.

I've also been working on the car texture for the Allied ride, trying to add some military looking bits to it. Also added some grey to the bodywork under the side seats, to break up the blue.

pic1
    pic2

Those red, white & blue roundels i put on the back of the seats, i kinda feel those are more of an airforce thing than something you'd see on road going military vehicles. But someone correct me if i'm wrong. Either way, i want something to place in that location. I'm trying to find some British army vehicle markings/decals that i can add to the trains.
    The Soviet trains, i have some ideas, but some will be tough cause i can't type anything in Russian characters to use in Photoshop with a stenciled font like the text in those images.
    Train textures are still a WIP, as i track down more things i can add to them.

Oh, and don't think i've forgotten about my Starwing ride, cause i haven't. It's all finished and ready to go.
    But i'm just waiting for October to roll round, as i'm going to release it the first week in Oct.
    ^ Yeah, those target symbols definitely remind me of the RAF (Royal Air Force). The rest looks super awesome though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc

Or....

•  
      CommentAuthorminuseven

• CommentAuthorsprog

Re: The cylinder at the crest of the drop - That's one hell of a clever way to sort the shaping, I'm really impressed with that - Might even borrow the idea if I ever build a serious hyper!
    • CommentAuthorTheBeatles

^Agreed. It's a really good way for handbuilders to gauge and refine their work.
    • CommentAuthorWomp83

Lol @ jpaufsc.. :D
    Yeah, i think i'll Substitute it for something else.. I've since added a white star on the side of the cars, just in front of the grey winglet bit.

I'm not sure if i can take credit for that cylinder idea, as i think i recall someone else talking about it quite some time ago, and that's prob where i got the idea for it.
    But until i hear otherwise, i'm taking credit for it.

We'll call it the Womp technique.
    • CommentAuthorHooch
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2015

That looks really good
    You can put the 'RAF' roundel on the end of the bumpers. I think it would look cool there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorUncleArly
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2015 edited

Posted By: Womp83Lol @ jpaufsc.. :D
    Yeah, i think i'll Substitute it for something else.. I've since added a white star on the side of the cars, just in front of the grey winglet bit.

I'm not sure if i can take credit for that cylinder idea, as i think i recall someone else talking about it quite some time ago, and that's prob where i got the idea for it.
    But until i hear otherwise, i'm taking credit for it.

We'll call it the Womp technique.

It's been around for years.

There used to be a pack for NL1 which included circles, spirals, parabolic shapes etc. They were 3Ds that you just inserted into the editor to build. It was a pretty neat system. It was Loefet's track shapes pack.

I miss Loefet!
    • CommentAuthorWomp83

^^ I like that idea, Hooch. Unfortunately there's no way to access the bumper textures on that 4 seat hyper train. The wing trains, floorless trains and possibly a few others, you can alter the bumper texture. But not this one.

Thanks Arly.
    Ok, the cylinder thing is no longer called the Womp technique. It's now called the Loefet technique.
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan

What happened to Loefet? Is he still alive?
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2015

I saw him on TPR last year.
    •  
      CommentAuthorUncleArly
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2015

He just isn't that active anymore.
    • CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2015

Done a bit of work on the maintenance area for my RA Allied hyper.

shed
    The roller wheels are actually a scenery object and have mild texturing on them. (not visible from that far away, but trust me, it's there.)
    I'm also working on something in Photoshop. Something really cool. And you'll see that in the next few days or so.

So watch this space.
    • CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2015

teaser

It's coming..
    ^That is some amazing photoshop skills.
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

lmao that's hot.
    • CommentAuthorsprog

Haha that's awesome mate! Brilliant work :D
    • CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2015

Yeah, Womp's no stranger to Photoshop. Glad you all like it. I made the starry sky and the blue planet myself. :)

I'm also happy to say that the layout for my hyper is now complete. And i'm rather pleased with how it turned out. I'll post some shots once i get more supports added to it and it starts to actually look good. That's what happens when you force yourself to work on something and not get distracted by.. Hey look, a squirrel! *runs outside*
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2015

Nice box art! Although you'll want to release it for the Super Nintendo and not just the Famicom.

-Ride_Op
    Make sure that there is a barrel roll, and that you can press A to shoot.
    • CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2015

^^ Thanks Ride Op. And don't worry, it will be on Super Nintendo. We don't have Famicom over here on Oz. However, mine isn't region coded, and is universally accepted on systems around the globe. :P

Posted By: BetaCoastersMake sure that there is a barrel roll
    There is..

and that you can press A to shoot.
    I uh.. When i figure out how to do that, i'll implement it.

Wait, why did i just say that, you can see for yourself because..
    My Starwing coaster..

IT'S HERE!

Go and get it right now. Just click here. It's ok, i'll wait..

Oh, i also have some shots of my Red Alert hyper, which is now officially complete. The coaster portion anyway. All i have left to do is the tedious task of theming and adding scenery. And then i have to start on the Soviet ride..

image1
    image2
    • CommentAuthorsprog

Liking the look of that hyper, I assume it goes from the ampersand, through that 90 degree banked hill and then up into the hammerhead and then shoots off through the speed hill? If so, nice combo, that should provide a cool mix of forces and make for a fun ride!
    • CommentAuthorWomp83

^Got it in one. :)
    The ampersand was originally going to run the opposite way, but i thought it would be too Shambhala-ish like that. (drop, hill, right turn ampersand) So i mirrored it, lol. Those 2 shots show like 90% of the layout. There's some nice airtime in them thar hills..
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

Layout looks pretty cool but I don't think that drop is gonna fly. Looks like you've got some serious issues with that one.
    • CommentAuthorWomp83

^ That's prob because it's not a typical B&M hyper drop. I decided to mix it up a little and make it a bit different.
    Here's some other shots of it.

pic1
    pic2
    As you can see, it's a bit more of a vertical drop, and has a mild twist to it. That's how i wanted it. So that's prob why it looked a bit off in that previous shot i posted.
    Thanks for the comment on the layout. Hyper coasters are still new territory for me, as i don't normally make them.

And i just realised i completely forgot to show you all how my dog tag sign turned out. So here it is.

pic3

The 'Entrance' text is just a normal map, made with a new program i found called njob. So far it's given me better results than the browser based program i'd previously been using.
    Looks good, doesn't it?