Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Hey guys! I'm beginning in FVD++. I started about a week ago and after watching L BOSCH's tutorials, I'm begging to love and understand using FVD ++. This will be a B&M Hyper Coaster. It will be published after the Carowinds announcement on August 21st. I'm really excited, as this project will be big for me. And it's perfect, as it will be published right before school starts!

I am going to need some testers and some people who can make queue lines and all that good stuff. If somebody wants to create scenery for the queue, that would be awesome. I figured Rolling Roller sounds too much like Rolling Thunder. Is there anybody who can come up with a name a theme?

Statistics are:

Height of lift: 236 feet
    Drop Length: 226 feet
    Lift Angle: 40 degrees
    Drop Angle: 79 degrees
    Positive g's: 3.4
    Negative g's: -.1

If Diamondback can reach 80 with a 215 foot drop, then why is mine not even reaching 80? Friction issues :/

Pictures:
     photo ScreenShot2014-07-28at21506AM_zps6cf60380.png

photo ScreenShot2014-07-28at21455AM_zpsd8a8761f.png

photo ScreenShot2014-07-28at21240AM_zps88b4578a.png

Sooooooo, watchya think so far?
    • CommentAuthorElvenage
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2014

I think the drop looks fine, but I'm atrocious at recognizing good shaping on hyper drops lol.

As for the speed issue, mayhaps your lift hill speed is slower than diamondbacks?
    ^ Most likely. I think Diamondback may be 5-6, while mine is 4. And haha, thank you. The next element is being made right now.
    • CommentAuthorJetPulse

The one thing I notice about the shaping is that the pullout is noticeably tighter at first and then loosens at the bottom. This happens when you have constant G's over a large section of the pullout (It looks like you pull up to your peak G at maybe 50-60° slope point and then hold it). I've found what helps is to elongate the section where you pull the G's up, and then bring the shape forward using the "Center" warp. I usually elongate the section until I don't need a constant force section (so your pull up technically goes until the track is at ~0° slope) or if I do use one, I don't start it until the track has less than a 10°ish slope. This will help maintain a more constant radius through the bottom of the drop.

As for the speed, the lift speed will help a little, but not a whole lot as speeds at the bottom of the drop aren't very sensitive to slow speeds at top (a change of 10mph at to top will generally only result in 2ish mph difference at the bottom). The max speed of a train technically a little more complicated than just friction. I personally suspect the rotational energy of the wheels (and that the design of Diamondback's wheels might make the ride a few mph faster). For the past 20 years, the design of the wheel structure (mainly weight and size) has been used to help control the speed some. A prime example of this is Aplengeist @ BGW which as wheels that are pretty much solid steel and weigh about 80lbs each. This way as the train comes down the first drop, more energy is transferred into their rotation and it actually slows the train and more efficiently stores the energy allowing the train to travel further. With only an 11' difference between your ride and Diamondback, I wouldn't fret too much about it. And before someone adds, yes, they also use different surface materials, but that is more to control the speed along the back half of the ride and doesn't effect the first drop very much.
    ^ I'm confused...
    • CommentAuthorMGCD

He was giving you a generously in depth review man re-read it
    As for the drop, it looks actually pretty good to start with, but it's best you listen to these guys if you're doing a recreation.
    • CommentAuthorJetPulse

For the shaping, maybe this will help:

What I see in yours is a quicker force transition which causes a tighter radius in the middle of the drop and then it loosens at the bottom because the train is traveling faster and gravity is aligned with the force.

If you elongate the transition and move the center forward, it keeps the radius more constant.

This particular drop isn't perfect, but for 45 seconds of work, it's alright... Ideally the tightest part of the track is the bottom of the drop. This means that you have to continue to slowly increase the vertical force through the entire drop. For a B&M hyper, I personally would try to keep a constant radius over the bottom 15-20°ish of the track (my personal approximation), but make sure that part is the tightest radius.

As for the speed thing, don't worry about it. Every coaster is a little different and NL can't exactly match every coaster. So, if you ever get speed to align perfectly, you are very lucky in that the coaster's actual behavior matches the NL2 model really well.
    ^ Thank you! I'll try it and post results.

The brand new specs:

Height: 237 Feet
    Lift Hill Angle: 45 degrees
    Drop Angle: 63 degrees
    Max Speed: 75 MPH

photo ScreenShot2014-07-28at102825PM_zpsce3b9bf7.png
    •  
      CommentAuthornolimiters
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2014

The angle of the drop would be better if it was steeper. And the pull-out of the drop looks pretty weak right now.
    Now that my PC is ready and available, I can make this ride in No Limits 2! Here it is so far:

photo screenshot-2014-07-29-12-59-50_zps69b82d1b.png
     photo screenshot-2014-07-29-13-00-51_zps7d75b535.png

photo screenshot-2014-07-29-13-00-58_zpsb67bf163.png
     photo screenshot-2014-07-29-13-00-47_zps36ad4abe.png
     photo screenshot-2014-07-29-12-59-39_zps6710207e.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorUncleArly
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2014

Please max out the settings for screenshots.
    Look above. I redid them and reposted them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorUncleArly
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2014

What's with the crazy field of view in the last picture? Apart from that last picture, which is distorted anyway, I can't really say much.