Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Previous Projects:

Forum thread/Screenshots
    Download (NLE)/Download (Steam)

A concept/fantasy Vekoma Flying Dutchman, inspired in part by Dear Esther. A launched flyer on a remote island, with fast cave sections and flying turns above the ocean. This was also the first coaster I've made with 3DS, seeing as NL1 and Blender didn't get along well.

Screenshots
    Incomplete Download (Direct)

Coast Raider was to be a hybrid RMC in a similar style to Outlaw run. It's unique coastal location allowed for an extended prelift section, fitting in a double heartline roll and multiple airtime hills before hitting the chain lift.
    Wonderful! Mind showing me how you mapped those rails?
    I'd personally use the Morgan trains as they are pretty similar to RMC's. That said I love the prelift, although it would seem more realistic over sand rather than water
    •  
      CommentAuthor1blueshe
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2014

another rock island in all water? I think you should try a change of scenery. it seams like your re using the Point Solitude environment. Other than that I like the pre lift section of the ride.
    @bottom_feeder_13
    It's a fair point, I was just jumping on a random side of the fence for open front vs. 4 seat cars.
    Also, the 3DS is incomplete in that area, which is why it's currently over the water. Sorry if there was confusion about that.

@1blueshe
    The theming is currently incomplete, which is why it may currently look like an island, but it isn't. The ride instead takes place on a mainland coastline. The ride will be a large sprawling double-out-and-back layout rather than the compact layout of Point Solitude.
    In addition, There are no reused assets between this an Point Solitude at all. All the textures have been created from scratch, and the colour palette is much brighter and more vivid, to match the calm sunset environment. The two rides share a proximity to the ocean alone.
    •  
      CommentAuthorknexrule11
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2014

I like the idea a lot, and so far it looks fantastic! I think the layout and 3ds for the pre-lift are really well done, although that first drop out of the station seems fairly drawn out, maybe you could try to work in some sort of a double-down (or at least a hump in the drop) to add a bit of excitement to the first drop? Anyways it looks amazing and I can't wait to see more!
    I'm personally quite happy with the pacing of that drop, but I'll let you take a look for yourself
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

Will you add custom RMC trains to this?
    •  
      CommentAuthorknexrule11

Ah yes it does look better in that video, carry on then!
    Looks great
    How did you do the rail texture, so it shines in the middle but not at the edges?
    Oh go your scenery looks amazing
    My final entry for now in the "nothing even slightly to do with rollercoasters" collection, a fence model. I'll be using the more traditional wooden fences found near beaches on top of the cliffs, but these ones here.
    [image removed]

Anway, here's some of the early work I've completed on supports:

I'm basing a lot of this ride on Outlaw run. On catwalks around the station, where gradient isn't enough to worry about slipping, there are no perpendicular grips, so the catwalks just use a 3-plank style.

Here's the supports for that section. Again, based heavily on Outlaw Runs design, with a two-sided crossbar design which takes far too long to create.

For higher force sections, steel
    I-Bars
    C-Bars (not shown) are used instead of the wood planks. When banked, these are even more of a pain =S
    [image removed]
    • CommentAuthorElvenage
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2014

I don't know how accurately you're trying to match the inspiration of Outlaw Run's supports, but C beams are used instead of I beams, giving a flat, even face to connect to the vertical wooden support. Much like I'm using on my venture of learning RMC supports. Personally, I think it would look better too.
    • CommentAuthorElvenage
    • CommentTimeAug 13th 2014

Other than that, everything looks great!
    • CommentAuthorMGCD
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2014

^try making more than one plane for the grass in the model file, a good way to do it is just like the stock nl2 grass. Take the plane, and arrange multiple of them close together that way the auto plant fills in a lot more.
    As for the light issue, try messing with your lighting settings in the env editor. Or you could mess around with a nl2mat, check the "no shadow cast" that might work.
    This looks like it could be quite a cool ride. You did an amazing job with the atmosphere on Solitude - something I always envision but never have the skills to pull off. I can see this being a spiritual successor in a way and that's a good thing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJAMMYD778
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2014

As above, the atmosphere that this coaster possesses is great. The general layout also looks realistic and something that could feasibly be achieved. I am very much looking forward to the development of this project.
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2014

Wow.
    Your work is really inspiring! Love all the detail you put into the surrounding area and not focusing exclusively on the ride, it's a refreshing thing to see amongst the general hyper-realistic goals
    Oh my FucPiiieeeeping god thats looks absolute amazing.
    • CommentAuthorBrawly
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2014

I would love to see more pics with the brighter environment. This looks amazing so far, can't wait to see more supports.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBolt789
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2014

I thought that brighter environment was a photograph for a minute, I'd love to see more people use brighter environments in their projects.
    A photorealistic style is always more convincing in stills. However, in motion the illusion is mostly lost, so it's more interesting to go with a stylistic palette, which is something you see a lot in videogame design.

Besides, I can imagine the complaints I'd get for using a default environment...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBolt789
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2014

True that.

This layout looks wonderfully fresh and different, love the use of the terrain.
    • CommentAuthorMilBee
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2014

This is looking awesome! I love the atmosphere of this coaster is giving off. I can't wait to see it when more supports are done!
    I was away at the weekend, so not much progress has been made recently. I have however worked a little more on supports, and have the sideways-ejector-drop-thing partially supported

I also went back and improved the meshes (particularly the LODs) of the cliff objects. They now line up better with terrain lines, and look much better at a distance.
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2014

Will you be adding custom trains?
    Hopefully, yeah.
    I made some if you would like to use them
    Modified the environment, scenes are now a bit brighter, to bring them closer to default environment look.
    I'm still sticking by my assertion that the more vivid colour palette of the sunset environment is the more interesting choice in motion.

Also, I've been told off for using dynamic image widths, so all of my screenshots are now thumbnails which link to big 1440p screenshots.

Dat whitespace
    •  
      CommentAuthorMr. Laptop
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2014 edited

Looks amazing. Definitely looking forward to more.

•  
      CommentAuthorTDeHart
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2014

That "mountain" is to die for on looks. Its perfect! The textures are incredible!
    So beautiful! It's a work of art, not just a coaster anymore. Can't wait to see this project finished.
    I love the look and feel of this ride. The grass, the rolling hills, and the low sun are just beautiful. Great job.
    Thanks!

Oh yeah, the Steam workshop is a thing now.

I've rereleased Point Solitude on the steam workshop, with a few improvements to both textures and the distant terrain model. I'd be super grateful if you'd head over there and give it a like/favourite and maybe a comment (Copy your NLE review?)

Also, I wondered to myself, "What would Point solitude look like with Coast raider's environment?"

(no, this isn't what it looks like now)
    •  
      CommentAuthorTDeHart
    • CommentTimeOct 17th 2014

Uhm, it looks FANTASTIC!
    Will you be sharing this wondrous script at some point?
    *rubs hands together menacingly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

The cross-ties are excellent. However, you have too much wood layers. There are only six of them in real life.
    Ah, that's a good point. I'll fix that
    •  
      CommentAuthorTDeHart

holy jeez that is awesome! Ole rocks! and that would be wonderful Secret!
    Lovely crossties! If only I didn't suck at textures
    OMFG That looks beautiful
    A busy week again for me, unfortunately, but here's some more progress.

•  
      CommentAuthorParadox
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2014

That second picture is amazing!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2014 edited

You really have the knack of making your environment look beautiful. It's kinda fascinating how you don't simply focus on the coaster, but instead on the whole package (no pun intended). Keep it up!
    Sorry to bump a thread like this, but it seemed to best place to put this.

I wasn't really happy with how this ride was turning out, so I shelved it a few months back. I'm now pretty certain I'm not going to be completing this ride in its current form, so I'm releasing the park as-is for anybody interested to take a look at.

Download (button at top-mid of screen)

Hopefully if I ever actually release anything again, it'll be worth the excessive wait.
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2014

Damn, I was really looking forward to this (more than PS).
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26

Bummer, I was looking forward to this one. I get it though. My quick review is nothing but praise... except for the MCBR, whose existence I can't quite understand. Hugely breaks up the flow and doesn't seem the least bit necessary, especially given the pre-lift section. Otherwise the trackwork, environment, and attention to detail were bang-on. Nice work and thanks for releasing it, even in incomplete form.

•  
      CommentAuthorUncleArly

I love that you included point solitude out at sea :)