Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorzampano
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2016

Wait, might this cave picture be the single greatest NoLimits Shot I've ever seen??? I can see some postproduction, right? But nontheless, this looks unbelievable. And I already thought that about the first version.
    ^ I added some grain and a slight vignette, but otherwise it's straight from the engine
    •  
      CommentAuthorzampano

Yeah, didn't think it was much, but the grain really halps making it look like a photo. The content of the picture already stands out enough, but that is the cream on top of the cherry (which is already on top of cream).
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

I LOVE the Dear Esther inspired scene!
    • CommentAuthornSeven
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2016 edited

ermagerd, it's so much the Stoneship Age in NL2!!

•  
      CommentAuthorParadox
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2016 edited

^I love Myst and I really wish someone would build a coaster themed to the Selenitic Age. That one was my favorite.

I jumped right to these views when I saw this update:

•  
      CommentAuthorride_op
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2016

And now you have to hide a red page and blue page somewhere around the coaster.

-Ride_Op
    I only ever played Myst 3. I should definitely get back into those games.
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2016

I really wish Cyan would remaster the other 4 games like they did with realMyst
    ugh, this ride is just amazing! The mainland looks really great, I think.

EDIT: where did the post I just replied to go.

EDIT 2: It's back. lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2016

Quick put in more supports!!!

-Ride_Op
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox
    • CommentTimeJan 30th 2016

This is gorgeous. I love the somber tone you are going for with this.
    Thanks for your comments
    February

Some expansion has been made on the southern cliffs. This area has been changed quite considerably since the original Point solitude, with the Life-to-fly drop from the mid-course lift, and the first sweeping turn, which has been widened so that the two turns are not on top of one another.

Also, some Point Solitude 1 news...

I've finally gotten around to doing what I'd been planning to for a while, and updating Point Solitude 1 with an optimisation pass. In the new version on the Steam Workshop, I've converted all of the models to DAE, and fixed the scaling issue that was causing lighting issues, I've also added an occluder object for the cave system. As well as various model optimisation, I've tweaked a few of the textures, and removed the diffuse & ambient overrides on exterior textures, so they should play well with alternate environments now.

The result being about 15fps extra in intensive areas, versus the old version.

You can get the new version from the Steam Workshop, the new version will be downloaded automatically if you were already subscribed. I've also rerecorded the POV from the trailer using the Nolimits Pro recorder; lovely lovely motion blur.

As a side note, please comment if you're enjoying these updates, it helps me gauge how often to post them.
    • CommentAuthorMGrides
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2016

This is running smooth as butter. Love it! =)
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2016

How can one not enjoy these fantastic screenshots? ;) I've been silently watching this thread, but I guess now it's time to say how awesome the remake looks. The storage is definitely a unique idea, and those lights in there are very well done, too. Also had a quick look into the updated version on Steam, with no recognizable frame drop. Love the environment, it's one of the few times I actually enjoyed a rainy day while riding coasters.

Keep up the good work and keep on posting these updates!
    March

A month of slow but steady progress begins with an updated screenshot to what I have shown previously:

This shows the initial design for the train storage, which is currently in an undetailed state. I had the idea to place it in a cave of its own, but there is to be more interaction with the rest of the cave system within there, eventually.

Here is the current design for one of the cave areas, a doubly interlocking cavern (overview) which allows queuers close proximity with the ride both above and below themselves. Let me know what you think about the design, including the rope fences and bridge, as I'm still changing this area about quite a bit. The white spotlight is only for the sake of the screenshot.

I've also been making a bunch of subtle changes and additions to models, including adjustments to the candles - which now have autosprite flames - and the nature trail posts, which contain the queue time notices:

(more)

Finally, when I released the steam workshop update for Point Solitude on steam recently, I reconstructed the skybox from the source file, It's now has far less compression artifacts, and reworked fog, which looks quite lovely and blends well with the terrain

One of the main impacts on performance in the original Point solitude were the spotlights, which cast wonderful shadows, but quickly bogged down when used in multiple (they also don't have much of a clipping distance, and can't be optimised with occluders). Most of the lighting in the new Point solitude is omni lighting, but in order to bring back some of the nice shadows of the original, I've added a row of headlamps on a zero car bullbar, so now we're really ready to go spelunking. The light has a custom spot-texture, so there is the appearance of 4 separate lights for the performance impact of just one.

Here's a quick video showing these in action. They should become more interesting as more detail is added to the caverns.

Comments are, as always, greatly appreciated. Also, look at the new lighthouse texture. Shiny
    •  
      CommentAuthorlamewad
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2016

Those lights look phenomenal in the caves. Well done. This project is so neat.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrBassdirt
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2016

Been silently following the construction of this ride for like, what, 2 years now? And i have to say your attention to detail and dedication to refinement is really inspiring. And it pays off. Seriously one of the most polished and fully-rendered coasters in NL2. Its more than a coaster--its an experience that tells a story and it conveys that so well in the atmosphere, scenery, ride style. I hope one day to get to that point... lol.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBolt789
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2016

Second image looks like a real flash photograph.

This looks just fantastic, nice work on the lighting all around especially.
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2016

Can you put in a underground swing ride that rises out of a hole in the top of the island?
    Thanks a lot for your comments, they're appreciated as always, and very motivating. I should be doing a fair amount of work on the project in the next few days, but for now I wanted to show you a couple of screenshots, including some progress on one of the cave areas I've shown before, since the NL2 team sneakily changed how omni lights are rendered.

^ STOP IT PLEASE :o
    It's too beautiful for me.
    • CommentAuthorThrill Lab
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2016

How do you even have time for this? This looks so realistic. The scale as well as the level of detail, results in a product that is unbelievably cool. That doesn't even cover the lights and the ride itself.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZergei

Are there specific settings you use in game to get that effect?
    • CommentAuthornSeven

^ He is very very good at manipulating textures into stunning materials.

Dude, broh...we gotta have an intervention...

you are too damn good at this and it's lowering the creative stock of everyone here. SHARE THE WEALTH, #wearethe99percent #feelthebern
    Thanks, I will put together some more materials tutorials, just as soon as I get some spare time...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly
    • CommentTimeAug 2nd 2016

Looks fantastic so far, I'm excited :)
    This looks amazing great job,cant wait to see more.
    Glad you've got the time to crack this guy open again!
    The fallout project I was demonstrating several months ago wasn't really forming into an interesting park, so I've redesigned the prototype looping mega-lite "long 15" from that park as a terrain coaster. I decided to go with a night environment for this park, as it's not something I've seen explored before. The ride is lit primarily by headlights on the car (which aren't modelled yet).

• CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeAug 19th 2016

Oh mah lordy that is so wonderfully atmospheric. I love it.
    Scourge 3: the rescourganing
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix

That's a truly perfect night time environment. Did ... did you add something simple as snow as an atmospheric effect? Although I'm sure you aware of it I thought I'd point out that I'd be careful about making the coaster too dark since there are more interesting thingy than a pure black Scourge screen. ;) Anyway, keep up the good work!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26

Love the dust specs (snow?) lighting up as the train goes along in the video, really nice touch.

•  
      CommentAuthorZergei
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2016

Looks like a horror game coaster lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2016

I'm a fan of what you got going on for the environment, the dark forests mixed with the coaster is something that I haven't seen done very well in NL2, glad to see a first!

Cypher III

As you probably spotted in Screenshot Saturday the other week, I've been working on converting DC Hight Heat's fantastic Cypher III to NL2.

I've tried not to meddle too much with the original track, keeping most objects the same but simply optimising them where possible. I have updated the vegetation and terrain to take advantage of new NL2 features and updated the supports to use NL2 beam nodes and flanges.

I'm getting close to finishing this now, I pretty much just have the taller support structures to convert, and replacing the park objects (benches and lights).

I've been putting off the big supports, so I need to sit down at some point and finish that all off. Would you guys be interested in a twitch stream of the progress tomorrow?

I'll intersperse the support work with modelling and such. I may even have another rant about SketchUp, it'll be fun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2017

Cool little project, Twitch stream sounds interesting, I would be able to watch one in about 12 hours (8 pm CEST, 6 pm UTC).
    Supports have now been fully converted. Flanges, beam nodes, and other loveliness.