Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorljchris
    • CommentTimeSep 22nd 2014

Hi folks,
    I'm new here, so I think I'll just introduce myself shortly: I'm from Germany, 19 years old, study physics and have been working with NL1 and RCT for years and since NL2 came out I open the program nearly every day. Although I'm working on a themed Eurofighter that I wanted to post as introduction to myself, I found a way to get some kind of splines from NL into SketchUp (or any other 3d editor), which might be handy for some of you and want to share my way of doing so with you.

It's quite simple. Just open the Light Pattern Editor and choose to create a scene object. All the light pattern files are stored in a folder in NL2's program path (not the one under Documents). We're interested in the scene object, as it is saved there as *.lwo file. Covert this to *.3ds or whatever input formats your 3d program can handle (there are online converters so you don't even need to use blender etc). SketchUp imports *.3ds fine so I used this one. At last I created a screenshot in top perspective in NL2 and mapped it on a plane (be sure to pay attention to correct scaling). Positioning the plane was a bit tricky; it is kinda easy, when you have the origin in NL2 in your screenshot and then you can set the coordinates of the object you're creating to (0,0,0) after importing to NL2 and it is aligned the way it was in SketchUp. The result for a small dive machine I created yesterday:

Of course, you can create a plane in SketchUp with dimensions of the LRP and extrude them along the pathes that you imported, but this can be very greedy (maybe someone has a better way to do so), that's why I left it like this and will take care of the LRP with measuring tools etc.

Hope, this helps some of you, so long
    •  
      CommentAuthorTDeHart
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2014

This is FANTASTIC! I was NOT looking forward to having to shell out $600 for Sketchup Pro just to import spline data! Awesome! Thank you!
    Nice job! I was in the process of making a tutorial on how to do this.
    •  
      CommentAuthornolimiters

^^ HAHAHA, just check youtube
    I'm confused, Why do you need to take the screen shot?
    • CommentAuthorljchris

Posted By: CoasterGuy2000I'm confused, Why do you need to take the screen shot?

Actually you don't need the screenshot for the spline import process, but I think it is very useful for creating scenery.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBolt789

Thanks for the instructions! I think I'll pick up Sky Skimmer again shortly now that I know how to model some trenches that conform to the track.