Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthordjd711
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2014 edited

So I have decided to make this official seeing how I am working more and more on it lately. As some of you might know for some reason The Big One is one of my favs and I have attempted recreations of it in the past using NL1 and they turned out ok but I cut corners all over the place especially with the supports. This time I intend to go to much greater detail. Obviously it's going to take time but I would like to show what I have so far. The first main chunk of the ride is my focus currently while the second half has had no work done at all. The turnaround I am very happy with and most of the support structure is in place. Surprisingly I have been finding it difficult to get the iconic Arrow hyper track shaping but it is getting there. Much like Air I do intend to go deep with the scenery and what you see currently is only very basic to add to the feel of the project. You may also notice the track connectors on the supports.

screenshot-2014-10-14-22-47-14

screenshot-2014-10-14-23-09-58

screenshot-2014-10-14-23-06-13

screenshot-2014-10-14-23-08-36

screenshot-2014-10-14-23-10-44

Feedback welcome,

Thanks!
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2014

I think the turnaround is too low.
    •  
      CommentAuthorggddffhh
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2014

Looking great so far. Hope it is up to the same standard as your Air recreation, because that was truly amazing.

Where do you get your very nice skyboxes from?
    •  
      CommentAuthordjd711
    • CommentTimeOct 15th 2014

The turnaround should be ok because I used a side on shot of the big one taken from the beach as an overlay but I'll give it some further attention.

I get my skyboxes mainly from CG-Source But you do have to pay for them, it works out at around 20 euros per skybox but it's worth it because not only are they huge resolutions (16000 x 8000) they are provided as a .hdr radiance file meaning in Photoshop you have full dynamic range control anywhere between -10 ev and +2 ev. The large resolution also means when you export cube maps even at a 2k resolution they are still crisp and clear with no pixellation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

Looks great! For those of you who have ridden it before, is this ride rough like the other Arrow hypers?
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan

Did you compare a pov of the real coaster to a pov of your recreation? Do they match up well?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorganFan

Oh my god yes, this is one of my favorite coasters, aesthetically (it hurts like crap in real life).
    I really hope you finish this. I know it will be great!
    •  
      CommentAuthoraw555000

I love this coaster so much, rode it like 10 times in a row without getting off once. The first drop looks a tad too drawn out in the last pic but other than that it looks great.
    •  
      CommentAuthorviking86

This looks awesome so far! It might not be the greatest ride in the world, but it' definately has one of the most intimidating first drops ever created. I'm curious to see how you pulled off the shaping of the first drop. Looking forward to see more. :)
    •  
      CommentAuthordjd711
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2014

Could anyone recommend what spline position to use for this? After seeing Kyles Arrow cork made in FVD I need to replicate those types of transitions hand building and I can't seem to get them with a center of rail spline.
    You could try setting it to a single rail, which would work great for all the turns in that direction, but would be a menace for any in the opposite direction.

+/-2 aligns to one of the rails and will work on turns in that direction. For turns in the other direction it has the opposite affect.

Pretty sure the only way to do it is to build in fvd

Ya you need to use fvd, Unless the dev-team adds the ability to change heart line values in different sections of track.

Heartline has nothing to do with it, sure it's heartlined in some spots and not in others but building in geometric segments gives the ability to freely replicate the headbang and wonky transitions without needing to play with forces...
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2014

Their point is that by setting the "heartline" (actually the center of rotation, not having anything to do with the heart line in this case) to be centered on a rail, you can replicate Arrow's habit of banking around a rail. Big One, being an old Arrow, is almost certainly not actually heartlined in any spot.
    There are a couple track sections that were updated by another company BBSpeed26, namely the first drop and turnaround. Those are heartlined.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2014

I knew that some parts (first drop at least) had been updated and smoothed out, didn't realize they were heartlined. Anyone have any more info on the company that did it and which sections in particular got new track? Just curious. You can definitely tell from the POV about the first drop and at least the banking transitions in the turnaround.
    •  
      CommentAuthordjd711
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2014

As far as I was aware the company was called Allott & Lomax and they redesigned the drop and the turnaround only.

Here are a couple of pics showing the old drop:

3054173660_71aa9a0bee_o-2 - Copy

3054173830_e2ddb2b897_o-2

Compared to today:

15396406472_82a46392aa_o-2 - Copy

And just for the sake of an update here's my drop:

screenshot-2014-10-16-00-13-30

screenshot-2014-10-16-00-12-04

And some more support work on the first hill:

screenshot-2014-10-21-01-31-58

screenshot-2014-10-21-01-26-51

Obviously there's still work to be done on the drop but it's mostly there.
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan

It looks funny without catwalks along one whole side of the track, switching sides when turning and changing directions.
    ^I'm pretty sure the only catwalk is between the rails (except for the MCBR)
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan

I know because I am so used to building jet coasters most of the time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

I think the original drop looks better than the one that is there today.
    Looks amazing as always! Really looking forward to this one!
    @Paradox: I completely agree, it looks a lot smoother.

Great work Dave, I hear that Blackpool is getting something new for 2015.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2014 edited

Does it? Original trackwork vs. New.

It doesn't look that bad, especially for an Arrow, but given the size/height of those trains and how quickly that drop gets steep, I imagine it would be pretty brutal in the back of the train. Have to imagine that's why they changed it.

• CommentAuthorCCJared

^ I can confirm that it is still brutal in the back row!
    •  
      CommentAuthorviking86

Looking at the clips of the original drop featured in the 1995 documentary "Coastermania", there appears to be some major whiplash effect in the back of the train. Anyone who went on the ride with the original drop who can tell us more about it?

See clips at 42:54 and 45:24
    Coastermania documentary

Oh and great work Dave, looks fantastic!
    •  
      CommentAuthordjd711

It's no surprise the first drop is still a tad painful, even with the newer track the kink here is ridiculous even by Arrow standards:

Untitled-1

But yeah from what I remember hearing the original drop had people complaining of back and neck injuries so they had to change it.
    what on earth is going on here:
    •  
      CommentAuthordjd711

Haha it's hard to believe the wheel assemblies stay intact through it. As you might imagine I can't really replicate that section in NL2.
    •  
      CommentAuthorviking86

That transition looks seriously ridicilous!!!

I grabbed a couple of frames from the video I linked to above. No wonder they tried to do something with the drop, look what it's doing to riders in the last two cars.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    •  
      CommentAuthordjd711
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2014

Just wanted to let you know I am still working on this most nights. Currently trying to perfect the main drop which is very frustrating! Also refined some support work on the turnaround and the connectors.

screenshot-2014-11-08-21-48-16

I know that shot is a bit too sunny for Blackpool so here's this:

screenshot-2014-11-05-21-04-06
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan

This coaster is so much like a Japanese jet coaster with the ramp hills.
    • CommentAuthorBrawly

Looks really nice so far Dave.
    Bellissimo.
    Looking awesome Dave! I haven't been to BPB for years but I remember riding this and it being extremely fun! Can't wait to see this when it's finished :D
    •  
      CommentAuthordjd711
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2014

Thanks for all the positive feedback. I've been recently working on more support work and have since reworked the first drop again. Working on these supports at the lower sections are proving tricky because good reference material of these rarely photographed areas is hard to come by but by sifting through the net I found what I need. As some of you may know there are several bridge sections for the supports where they go over roads and buildings etc. Also I have redone the support work beneath the lift hill which now has a reinforced arch structure to accommodate the old monorail track as well as the part where the track cuts through beneath the lift apex:

screenshot-2014-11-14-23-59-16

screenshot-2014-11-15-00-15-35

screenshot-2014-11-15-00-16-59

screenshot-2014-11-10-15-42-36
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan

Your huge blue poles at the turnaround are not connected very well to the box girder.
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2014 edited

Is there like any airtime on this thing? Or is it just all pain?
    •  
      CommentAuthordjd711

I know, I keep meaning to sort those out. IRL they are connected in a very bodged mish mash way:

360ebc818c0fc00f8930d8f4a71113c7

And as for airtime there really isn't much. If it was a smoother ride there would be loads but instead it just leaves you with bruises on the top of your legs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTDeHart

airtime notwithstanding, this. Looks. AWESOME!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorganFan

I stand as a witness that this ride has so much potential. But ohhhhh my knees will never forgive it...

Edit: I wonder if RMC would retrack a steel coaster. Hm...
    •  
      CommentAuthorUncleArly

The only good thing about this coaster IRL is the drop-turnaround. Everything else is pretty meh. They need to rip it out and replace it with an Intamin Giga/hyper.
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

There are reasons why Arrow should have never broken 200ft.
    •  
      CommentAuthorviking86

Great progress, really looking forward to seeing it when it's done. Will there be custom trains created for this recreation??

As for the real coaster, I've always thought of it as basically a giant mine train with a killer first drop.
    •  
      CommentAuthordjd711

I think people need to remember that Blackpool Pleasure Beach isn't what it used to be. I can't see them replacing The Big One any time soon and especially not with anything decent. The park takes a lot less money than it did back in the day and while yeah it's considered old and horrendous to ride today it has undoubtedly made Pleasure Beach majorly successful. There's something about the structure itself much like the Tower that I love. Whenever I think of Blackpool I think of the tower and The Big One and probably always will.

And for the trains I am happy to say TCM is working on some lovely ones for it and I too can't wait to see them.
    •  
      CommentAuthordjd711
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2014 edited

Just a mini update showing I have started support work on the drop. I have been dreading this section because since the re track it's way more complex but I think it's pretty accurate:

screenshot-2014-11-21-02-40-29

screenshot-2014-11-21-02-41-11

screenshot-2014-11-21-02-41-41

screenshot-2014-11-21-03-05-33

Obviously the track connectors are currently missing but I will add them soon. After that just a small amount more supporting is needed then I will begin work on the 3D work and smaller details. Then perhaps surrounding rides.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAJClarke0912
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2014 edited

Gorgeous work, that's one hell of a drop to try and recreate. Nice job so far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorganFan
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2014

That is beautiful.