Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Just a small project here, been trying to perfect a dive coaster layout, and it's bloody hard!

This is my 18th draft of a layout I've tried everything from flug's style pretzel, a sheiKra style layout, various helixes and overbanks, zero-g rolls, air-time hills, two drops...litterally SO much. But the more you add you more you detract from the drop! And I really don't want that as for one the drop took me months to perfect and I didn't want to ruin it's impact.

So I finally make something I like, and it really won't be to everyones taste as it literally just does an immelman after the drop. It's extemely short and is somewhere between Krake and Oblivion which imo are the coasters that do the one drop thing right. The game changer for me was seeing Efteling's concept art. Anyway I'll share this image here, this is the drop.

I'm still working on the railroad, but this little project is ticking me over when i get designer-block. <3 B&M haha
    Still playing. K it might look naff but I'm gonna keep experimenting

•  
      CommentAuthorParadox
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2014

Land Krake?
    •  
      CommentAuthorTDeHart
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2014

obviously some sort of sarlac pit. *kidding
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo

That drops look gorgeous! The constant increase in steepness really makes it look like a huge drop. Maybe it's an idea to start the tunnel just a bit earlier so that the people enter it @90 degrees? From the outside that will make it look even longer/steeper imo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26

Dive coasters are a weird animal to design. I have one half sketched out and my biggest gripe with the layout is that everything I try to put between the two main drops (not counting the obligatory immelman) is either lame filler or something that's trying too hard.

Just another screen, still playing about. And you're right! it is a land-Krake, i really enjoy that concept. This is a little more Sci-fi.

•  
      CommentAuthorParadox
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2014

I think you should do something more original than an immelman after the dive. Just seems really generic.
    IT took so long to get a perfect dive-coaster immelman! Honestly it came out misshaped so much, i can't just delete 2 months of work =(

Haha this is is very simple, it only does drop-immelman-brakes, which is why I'm wary of putting it on the exchange, it's really not an original ride. But it has been a labour of love, I've always wanted to do a "monster" theme and I've been playing with dive coaster layouts since January. the Newton file for the drop has been sitting about my computer since mid 2013 and I've been waiting for the opportunity to use it, honestly you'd be surprised how much time creating such a simple layout has taken, but strangely it works! In an Oblivion kinda way...
    • CommentAuthorBrawly
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2014 edited

I like it. It's simple yet really appealing and attractive.

Also loving the new color scheme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorUncleArly
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2014

I have to agree with you that it's incredibly difficult to create a Dive Machine that is original but still has the drop as the main feature. I think the shaping looks perfect on this though, so continue!

Just a couple more screens, with more tentacles.
    • CommentAuthorole
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2014

Nice.

Offtopic: I saw you posted some crash reports (Failed to allege 's_aState.m_pDefaultRenderTarget == NULL') a couple of days ago. At leats I believe those reports came from you. Does this happen in Parallels only? Is it reproduceable?
    It happens on Parallels yes! And it has a tendency to occur when I first load up the program, however it's fine when I try a second time and doesn't happen all the time, so not sure I can reproduce it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix

Being a huge fan of Krake (not its waiting time, but oh well) I'm quite excited how this coaster will turn out. I love the simplicity of this one, but do you think it would be possible to add a helix arond the drop, in a way as an extension to the tunnel? Just an idea, though.
    • CommentAuthorgeek87de

It really looks very B&M like. As already mentioned, the shaping of the immelman is nearly perfect.
    I hope you add some more theming (station, q-line, lights etc.) as i love the tentacles :D
    It already looks better than the real Krake at Heide Park. But thats not too hard anyway :P
    • CommentAuthorWomp83

Love the tentacles, they look great. :)

I also like the textures you used around the tunnel exit. Like it's just devoured something, and spat out the bits it didn't like. At least i think that's what it's meant to be..
    Correct me if i'm wrong.

And i agree with Baadrix's idea of trying a helix around the lift. That might look good. Maybe angle the helix, and even have it coming back around and through the immelman? But if it's not possible at this stage, then that's cool.
    ^ I have tried adding a helix or inclined loop after the Immelman but it just weakens the impact of the drop. I'm a big fan of Oblivion and the impact it has and am trying to re-create that. Also the simplicity allows me to focus on doing the station and ride areas, I have so many ideas for the narrative in terms of building design, sound effects and off-ride visual spots, hope it can come together nicely.
    ^If so, I'm interested in the decision not to have a turn at the top of the lift. Surely that adds a lot of tension to Oblivion?
    I'm not that good at finishing projects at the moment. I think I have three on the go now. So just putting my projects in one topic.. But hey, this is from playing around with the new wing coaster (bandwagon I know..). I've found it hard to get a good balance and they're not the easiest to make ride well. Here's some screens of my hopefully finalised layout.

•  
      CommentAuthoriSatnav
    • CommentTimeJan 12th 2015 edited

Kinda late to the bandwagon, but the layout looks pretty fantastic! All I would say is that the banking changes of the first overbank look a bit to fast. Oh, and your not the only one that is bad at finishing projects.
    more screens?

Couple of screens showing the entry to the zero-g

The helix
    badadadadamm I LOVE IT <3
    • CommentAuthorspaniard
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2015 edited

I like the color scheme on your wingrider a lot, reminds me of Hydra. Don't worry about bandwagoning, I dropped current projects to start a wingrider too.. can't wait to see more of yours!
    Been working on the first two elements. Mainly support work, I've saved alot of flat space to try get my sketchup skills to scratch, but the ride's peninsular is coming along nicely!

looks really great! Huge, but I like it! :-)

*Geoff*
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2015

Why do I see those weird trees in like every project?

Just kidding, I love how wing riders just look so graceful (that means you are headed in the right direction). Your trackwork seems to be high quality as always anyway. :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2015

Why do I see those weird trees

Because n7 can only work so fast! ...actually though.

Most of the trees that come with NL2 are perfectly serviceable... but that weird one with the top inexplicably lopped off is definitely not one of them.

Ride's looking good though RL, colors are great and the shaping looks like it'll be drawn out and graceful like your usual wingrider, but carrying a bit more speed which should be nice.

Named it Kite Flyer, I'll reveal more at a later date.

But for now, screen time!

The loop profile

Stall Turn

Final overbank
    • CommentAuthorBrawly
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2015

Love the Hydra-esque color scheme on this, everything looks great! I too have trouble focusing on one project for too long, so I feel your pain there. Especially with class and everything. Good luck on this one and I can't wait to see more!
    Love the kite flyer name. I made a superhero named that. He had awesome kite flying skills and excellent at flying them. Though my colors were black, red and blue.
    Looks pretty cool. Interested to see more as you progress!
    KITE FLYER TEASER

Just a little video to see this thing in motion.
    • CommentAuthortthomas
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2015

Awesome layout! Very realistic! I love all of the non-inversion elements that you've incorporated.
    If you can, put it in Kyle's Heretic environment! (If he's willing to give you it.) That would really help separate it from the stock NL2 look.
    Yeah what AJ said, some environment tweaking can go a long way in the presentation of your ride. I have a few environments i could send your way if you're interested.
    The roller coaster looks fun but I am not a fan and of the coaster cars' color scheme.
    ^ How come? What do you suggest?
    • CommentAuthornSeven
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2015

Posted By: BBSpeed26

Why do I see those weird trees

Because n7 can only work so fast! ...

The man speaks truth!

But actually NL2 has the best stock foliage for a theme park/coaster sim - a lot of those trees help fill the gap of a 'standard deciduous tree'. I am really loving the whole feel of this project and can't wait to ride the thing!
    Still hard at work on Kite Flyer but gone back to Minetrain and decided not to scrap it as it's pretty fun. I'll probably look at releasing it this weekend, but for now...

Still going with Kite Flyer

BUNTING

Collaborating with CrazyCoaster again with this =). Been props for the help here.
    KITE FLYER - SHOW YOUR MOVES!

Ride the wind and SHOW YOU MOVES.

Quick Preview here of the ride, due to release it next month.

EDIT, ignore the fact I misnamed the first inversion as an immelman ah well...
    • CommentAuthorsprog
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2015

Looks absolutely ace, can't wait to download it and take a look around the entire area!
    those scripted flags though...
    They're pretty easy to make using an NL2MAT. Phyter has some great examples on his Flags park on Steam :) I utilised some of his materials edited to my own specs to make them.
    • CommentAuthorTheBeatles
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2015

I'm not sure I understand the relationship between kite flying and showing moves.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2015

I assume he means competitive stunt kite flying?

I really like the look of the ride, seems like it flows really nicely.
    Yes^ that's right it'd all about competitive stunt kite flying. I don't know an awful lot about it but the more videos I watch the more it makes sense. I wanted a big open fresh bright area and a perfect ride for the summer.

The Plaza taking shape, again the work of CrazyCoaster =). Here you can see the station and the ride taking centre stage.

Will be releasing this ride next week on May 5th 2015.

It's almost ready to go! I've decided against using an area soundtrack. Been back and forth about what to use but tbh I found it a little annoying with Hawk having to turn my music off to prevent it all clashing, and I wanted Kite Flyer to have quite a heavy soundtrack based on music that's inspired me. So what I may do is release a spotify playlist with the ride so you can get the full vibe..if you wish. Although there is some speakers, they won't be playing music.
    Such a cool ride. Looking forward to release!