Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Is there a reason that the lift has catwalks only on one side? Is it to do with clearance, or are you making a 3d object thing to go in it's place? Otherwise, it looks amazing so far!
    •  
      CommentAuthorviking86
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2015 edited

SheiKra/Griffon only have catwalks on one side. They do however have some sort of tracks on the other side, which I believe is for an evacuation cart. Obviously I cannot speak for RichardLerwill when it comes to reasoning behind the choice, or future plans, but it is common in real life.

Nice video btw, ride looks great!
    If this layout rides as well as it looks (which I'm sure it does) then it should be great. Looking forward to the finished product!
    •  
      CommentAuthorUncleArly
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2015

Yeah, you'll need to add something for evacuations. It does look like it's for clearance though, so I do wonder how you'll implement something. Other than that, looks fantastic!
    Posted By: UncleArlyYeah, you'll need to add something for evacuations. It does look like it's for clearance though, so I do wonder how you'll implement something. Other than that, looks fantastic!

Wellll, I did have a problem with clearances, actually I still do. When testing I only checked that the tracks didn't touch, and stupidly I added the catwalks later on and didn't check them. So I've had an issue with there being a "high 5" type clearance issue. I feel I've gone too far to turn back now, it's ever so slight, so I'm trying to figure out how to make it less obvious in the final product, and adding the evacuation cart is an option, but yeah, I'll be marked down for this I'm sure =(.
    •  
      CommentAuthorviking86
    • CommentTimeAug 21st 2015 edited

Maybe you can come up with an alternative track design for the evac cart? Maybe have it hanging off the side of the main track, kinda like a wheelchair lift for stairs?
    For the high five clearance issue, just add some extra block length to the station/lift block so there is no possibility of a collision?

EDIT: I may have misunderstood. By 'high five clearance', I understood that you meant clearance issues when trains are simultaneously on the course, presumably with one on the lift and one on the dive loop wrapping around the lift. Is that what you meant?
    ^ Yeah that's pretty much the issue, I would kinda hope no1 notices haha, but guess I've blown it now. I'm too far gone to alter the track =( my bad.

Anyway, still learning as I go but the object creation is a slow process for me, but here's a view of my progress so far.

Like I said, you can just add extra block length to the lift to include the dive loop, that way there is no possibility of a clearance failure between two trains. Though, depending on how long (in terms of time) that makes the block, it could limit your ability to run 3 trains smoothly.

Honestly, I doubt many people would notice anyway. They would be too busy admiring the layout.
    Here's an overview of the ride as it stands atm, still working on some fiddley bits around the queue line. Few points to point out here, the priority/disabled entrances to the left of the building, and been playing around with tie-spacing, it may be subtle but it makes me happy =)

Here's a view of the zero-g and disabled access.
    ^Lookin' good!

Here's the dive loop and the station. You can see ISON control on the right and the queue line too. It's almost complete now, just a few details left.

I'm loving the color scheme of this! Are you planning on adding TCM's B&M roar to this as a detail?
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2015

A cartexture would be nice, but I think it would look nice even with out the logo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjamiechi
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2015

I like the layout, and the path going over the coaster track.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRCF
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2015

Amazing!

Please, how do you do 3D modelling this well?
    Posted By: RCFAmazing!

Please, how do you do 3D modelling this well?

LOTS of trail and error haha, and youtube videos, and pressing random buttons.

This is my first time touching sketchup, so it's not perfect. But if you have a clear idea of what you want, things flow.
    •  
      CommentAuthordapalm
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2015

You don't get a clear idea of what pressing random buttons is until that time when you open 3dsMax for the first time lol

Really is your first time using SketchUP? I thought you made 3d scenery before... Anyway, it looks very nice, loving the look of this coaster :)
    Posted By: dapalmYou don't get a clear idea of what pressing random buttons is until that time when you open 3dsMax for the first time lol

Really is your first time using SketchUP? I thought you made 3d scenery before... Anyway, it looks very nice, loving the look of this coaster :)

My previous rides have been mates like CrazyCoaster and Dave Ainsworth helping me out based on sketches and mood boards. This is the first time I've taken it all on myself, it allows me to really go into detail and trail ideas, but I've learnt a lot from those two.

I've always been a layout designer more than a scenery guy, but I feel layouts don't get noticed until you can frame it correctly with it's concept, if that makes sense. This layout is a mash up of years of dive coaster layouts trails. Annoyingly though Valran has stolen my thunder, I literally have the same elements! bastards.
    Finally... can see the end of this project now, given myself a deadline, 12th Oct 2015

EEEEEEK!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRCF
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2015

Can't wait! Setting my calender now.
    • CommentAuthorcaptfido87
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2015

I must admit seeing the station now, it does look a lot better than when it was first shown. I still think that their should have been some other level of building towards the ground, but it does overall look nice
    It's coming, don't worry guys. The ride's just suffering from some opening day teething problems (i.e. Dave Ainsworth is just connecting up some ride speakers)

Here a pic from todays test runs.

I'm having trouble uploading, it keeps timing out. Can anyone help?
    It isn't working for me ether. It's struggling a long time now :(
    I've had to put the download as a dropbox link, but it's done, it's over, finally online.

Enjoy guys =)
    •  
      CommentAuthorHZGarfield
    • CommentTimeOct 13th 2015

Downloaded

I love the color scheme and shaping of elements ,especially second drop , the pacing is very fast。
    but speed of entering the transfer track could be slower
    So it's been out for a while now but I thought I'd just show you guys what I had initially planned. This is the original source track I intended to base the on-board audio/ ride area music on. It's taken from the soundtrack of Gravity (abit of an inspiration for the ride) it was going to include a female voice over like in a sci-fi space ship with things like "mission abort" and "landing sequence initiated" etc. I decided against it as it made exploring the area and re-riding a little tedious and I struggled to get a good spaceship-voice. But I think it demonstrates the feel of the theme I intended well and works when put in a POV video. So here it is. The full ISON experience minus the voiceover. I will try and make an off-ride POV soon, just been abit busy lately.

ISON AUDIO POV

---------------------

On a seperate note. I've started playing around with some B&M looping elements. my last few rides have been pretty spread out and graceful. I wanna just try and create something abit tighter and snappy. This is just a draft, and tbh, I've completely messed up the Newton file (I didnt set the speed right) which has made it impossible to complete. But Just as a quick look at what I've been up to, it may not be much but hey.

• CommentAuthorTheBeatles
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2015

To be completely honest, I think the on-board audio could have been better. It's definitely a good (first?) attempt, and the build-up to both vertical drops was very nice. However, after the build-up, there the music just kind of continued, rather than exploding with energy like I was expecting it to. I think there should be a much bigger change in tempo/tone from the build-up -> drop -> brakes. However, most of this soundtrack felt the same. If you hadn't have told us it was an "On-board audio POV", I don't think I would have known the accompanying audio was intended to be part of the coaster. I would have thought it was just the music you chose for the video.

That said, nice music choice. I used the same song for a short in my film class. I like the bits of electro-synth type sound effects that accompany the music.
    Posted By: TheBeatlesTo be completely honest, I think the on-board audio could have been better. It's definitely a good (first?) attempt, and the build-up to both vertical drops was very nice. However, after the build-up, there the music just kind of continued, rather than exploding with energy like I was expecting it to. I think there should be a much bigger change in tempo/tone from the build-up -> drop -> brakes. However, most of this soundtrack felt the same. If you hadn't have told us it was an "On-board audio POV", I don't think I would have known the accompanying audio was intended to be part of the coaster. I would have thought it was just the music you chose for the video.

That said, nice music choice. I used the same song for a short in my film class. I like the bits of electro-synth type sound effects that accompany the music.

Tbh, the audio wasn't edited by me, it's purely the source material from Gravity overlaid on the POV. I just wanted to show the ride with it on because it demonstrates the "feel" of the ride better. I completely understand what you mean though in terms of the ending and stuff. So yeah, technically it is just music intended for the video. I'm just going to change the posts as I've realised it's misleading.

So basically yeah, it isn't the on-board audio. It's just some of the source material I was going to use if I went ahead with the idea. But I think it shows the ride in a better light over the raw POV (it all happened accidently when I was messing around editing some videos, I didn't wanna waste it). There was a stage where it was used as area music, but it was just too tense and made everything seem stressful lol.
    So I've done soo many layouts and combinations, I've finally made something I kinda like. It's alot different from the other B&Ms I've made, it's less about the floaty and more about hard transitions and force. The colours and terrain are very much tests so not final at all, and I have some ideas. But for now, this is how it looks.

That First drop is so cool :o
    • CommentAuthorBigbad
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2016

I also like the drop, particularly if you wrap around something like a tree.
    • CommentAuthorA113
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2016 edited

I LOVE that drop. Looking forward to more development.
    • CommentAuthorTheBeatles
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2016 edited

The drop seems like it could be quite a bit tighter (along with the helix leading up to it) it seems pretty drawn out to me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKG9
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2016

To me, it looks like Great Bear, Georgia Scorcher, and Rougarou all interbred with one another. It's like you're weird aunt that's kind of crazy but totally cool...in a good way. :)
    • CommentAuthorrct800
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2016 edited

Looks very good, although I really don't like that color sheme.
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2016

I immediately though of this when I saw it.

http://rcdb.com/1500.htm
    •  
      CommentAuthorZergei
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2016 edited

Or even Dæmon ^
    That floorless was so riddled with issues, I couldn't iron it out at all and eventually scrapped it.

But after the death of my computer, lack of inspiration, then an obsession with Mako's simplicity and Leviathan/Fury 325....

I made a new B&M type, the giga-lite! or just a hyper I guess with more curves. OK it may not look impressive at the moment, but I love the way it rides! So gonna see what I can do with it.

I'm sad to hear about the floorless :( The shaping was so beautiful on it!
    Floorless hasn't died I just figured it needed a splash of MAck, the hyper-giga is on the back burner for now. Anyway, a screen of the new layout so far. You won't believe how many drafts I've got through, but I like the first half so far.

Another layout draft, and I think I'm happy with it. There's a few little jerks, but it's an intensely paced ride. Just gonna try iron it out...and let the terraining truely begin.

That layout looks great, i hope you do perfect Mack supports cause it's only a true mack when it has those weird supports :D
    Still very early stages, finally got a layout!! whoop!

Colour suggestions are welcome. I'm just getting a rough idea of terrain before I start the hard graft stuff.