Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorbestdani
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2016

This is maybe really on the edge of Park News but the Miniatur Wunderland (a large and extremely detailed "themed" model railway) in Hamburg opened its new Italy section today: The official Video.
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

Is that the place that did the April Fools video a while back where they put mini censor bars on naked people and put them into the model?
    •  
      CommentAuthorviking86

^^That looks incredible! As a model railroader I really need to make the trip to Hamburg one day, I've been wanting to go for years!!
    ^same
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix

^^^Yep, it is.

Also, don't forget to check out the construction blogs on their channel (English subtitles available) if you want to know more about behind-the-scenes stuff.
    Knotts and CGA have removed the VR haunt attraction because of complaints from mental health advocates

http://abc7.com/news/knotts-closes-halloween-ride-after-complaints-from-mental-health-advocates-/1530097/

They thought it could be too insensitive to people with mental disability's
    Merlin was fined around £5 million, in case any of you missed it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZergei

^^ From what I heard, they had just removed "5150" from the FearVR name due to its somewhat "offensive" nature, but I had no idea that they shut it down too. This world is far too sensitive overall in these times, and because of that we all have to suffer from someone else's pain. Just too sad.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26

That's ridiculous. It's about demonic possession, which at last check is not a mental health issue in the real world.
    •  
      CommentAuthordapalm

Excuse me, what's 5150 offensive nature?

Anyway, she should fight against the one million things that have used the possessed patient on a psychiatric institution before Knotts.
    yes, like every horror film ever.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZergei

Posted By: dapalmExcuse me, what's 5150 offensive nature?

This is the best description. As for why it's "offensive," your guess is as good as mine :/
    But thats not the reason it was closed, its the fact people who had family members who died from a mental condition found the entire thing insensitive
    •  
      CommentAuthorskyasaurus
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2016

as a person with mental health issues...removing it is ridiculous. like not naming rides "Tornado" or "Tsunami" or "Wildfire" or "Outlaw"
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2016 edited

This is an awesome documentary inside the Mack Rides factory with many cool shots. Even if you don't understand german, it's worth a watch.

We can see 3D views of Helix in their CAO software(s), a inverted wagon for the upcoming Dragon Gliders at Motion Gate, the submarines for SeaWorld San Diego, some Lego rides in the making and even an Angry Bird splash-battle.
    I hear rollercoaster tycoon
    • CommentAuthorDelay

^So I wasn't the only who noticed that. Good to know.
    Posted By: Gorres CoastersI hear rollercoaster tycoon

Timestamp?
    • CommentAuthorDelay

^right at the beginning, in the first 2 minutes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

Anytime they show a coaster POV, they put a chain-lift sound... '-'

But hey the other parts were awesome, eh, EH?!
    • CommentAuthorMr. E

What is the track in the backround for at 1:11?
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2016 edited

That's a watercoaster track for a project that hasn't been announced yet! Well spotted. ;)
    • CommentAuthorMr. E

There's more at 1:24 and also wasn't there a water coaster on CGA's plan for the next some odd years?
    http://frightdome.com/project/five-nights-freddys/
    Fright Dome @ Adventuredome is opening the first ever Five Nights At Freddy's scare maze.
    This wasn't a good year to schedule a visit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2016

Why?

I didn't think that sh*t was still relevant.
    ...why...
    You're 2 years too late m8s.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2016

I don't get why the games get so much hate, if anything its only the fan base that makes it bad. In fairness it sounds like a pretty sick idea for a maze, I was waiting for the day some park would step up and turn it into an attraction.

It's a good idea, but the interest in it died a few months ago. This would have been super awesome if it was in the game's prime (which was just under 2 years ago).
    I wish I could check this maze out. The whole premise of Five Nights at Freddy's really intrigues me, regardless of the gameplay quality. Having a maze with those animatronics would be AWESOME, and would definitely push me to go to a park's Halloween event.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeOct 1st 2016

Posted By: OlmiseryI didn't think that sh*t was still relevant.

Seeing that Angry Birds themed zones still open years after years, nothing never dies out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeOct 9th 2016 edited

Today I found some interesting materials about Star Trek: The Experience which was a ride - or rather a themed experience, in Las Vegas. The main ride was a simulator like Star Tour, but rather having a flat-screen onboard, the shuttle had its front open, and you'd see the movie on a giant curved screen. Which is a big plus, in my opinion.

But the most interesting bit occured before even boarding the actual ride. I quote Wikipedia:

"The group then entered a smaller, dimly lit waiting area of a traditional simulator ride. Hosts directed their attention to a safety demo for the shuttlecraft simulator ride. A few moments later the televisions flickered and the lights went out. Following was flashing lights along with transporter sound effects and a rush of cold air. When the lights returned, the group was on a transporter pad. Guests were now aboard the Enterprise-D, transporter room as seen in Star Trek: The Next Generation."

A teleportation effect!
    I had trouble to find any footages of that part during normal operations, as cameras weren't allowed during the tour. But yeah, basically, you're in a waiting room of a traditionnal simulator ride, watching the cheesy safety video, then the lights go out and a few seconds later, you find yourself in a totally different environnement: you were teleported inside the Enterprise!

Now in this behind-the-scene video, you can see how it works. I made the link directly go to the said part. You even got a blast of air during the teleportation process, and you'll be surprised to see why (*cough* clickbait).

People familiar to Poseidon's Fury at Islands Of Adventure might find this effect familiar. ;)

And further read thanks to this article:

Posted By: Hydraulics & pneumaticsAccording to Jeff Borba, department manager of engineering at Star Trek: The Experience, Las Vegas Hilton, The transporter room works as an inverse elevator. Instead of moving occupants to a different location, the occupants remain stationary and a new location moves to them. This occurs in two stages. First, the assembly of four walls surrounding occupants of the loading area is raised 13 ft in less than 3 sec. Once this occurs, the ceiling moves horizontally 22 ft in 2½ sec.When the lights come back on, visitors now see the bottom half of the wall assembly, which looks like the transporter room. Likewise, they now see a half of the ceiling that looks very different from the one they saw when they entered the room.

The upper half of the wall assembly is now 13-ft above them, but they can't see it because of the ceiling. Also, the half of the ceiling they first saw is now 22-ft away, obscured by the "new" walls. The 7000-lb wall assembly was raised by a hydraulic cylinder with 78-in. stroke. A cable-and-pulley assembly doubles the cylinder's effective stroke (and speed) to quickly raise the wall assembly to its final height.

The 3000-lb ceiling, on the other hand, is powered by a bent-axis piston motor. This motor drives a Ford 9-in. differential (the same differential used in trucks and industrial vehicles) to evenly distribute rotational power to a pair of high-strength belt-and-pulley assemblies that slides the ceiling into a slot in the middle of the wall assembly.

Clearance between the ceiling and wall assemblies is only 1-1Ú8 in., so moving these massive loads so quickly requires extremely precise timing and motion control. Hydraulics provides the high power for rapid acceleration and deceleration, while electronics ensure sequential accuracy and tight position control.

That attraction also had other practical effects, such as a mirror trick to make corridors appear longer than they are in reality. That behind-the-scene video also show off what the simulator ride looks like from off-ride.
    Star Trek: The Exprience was one of the coolest attractions I have gotten to experience. I am a trekkie, but even if I wasn't the ride was so cool. The teleporter at the beginning was so cool because it was so convincing it really felt you had really been transported. Then walking through the ship and getting to see a fully mocked up bridge of the Enterprise D. Then riding in the turboshaft down to engineering and then boarding the shuttle craft and saving Las Vegas from a Romulan attack. I wish it was still around. It was 25 bucks but you could go around it as many times as ya wanted. The queue line was amazing as well as it was a time line from our time all the way to at the time voyagers voyage. It was a very detailed history wall and was well thought out.

Im glad someone brought up this attraction because I was thinking about it after in one of the threads here someone brought up the storm trooper ride idea.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2016 edited

^ Thanks for sharing your memories of this place, it sounds awesome.

-

If ever you want to build a Premier Rides wheel, I got your back:

Front and side view.

List of all the pieces. Aside from the custom bearing cover, rings, tire and hub, the other pieces are industrial pieces, such as the SKF 7213 BECBY, which is a ball bearing. Did you know the former small wheel from Liseberg had the shape of a ball-bearing? No wonder it was sponsored by SKF!

3D section view.

Images extracted from this interview of Jim Seay, president of Premier Rides, about safety standards in the industry.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeOct 18th 2016 edited

Here is a video on roller coaster design from circa 2003, and it has a lot of NoLimits in it!

The second part goes at Intamin and shows computer rendering of Thunder Dolphin:

Some inputs such as track gauge, amount of car, friction of the wheels, maximum torsion, etc:

The clearance envelope:

The vertical g-forces graph, and a g-force target with limits:

The software is even trolling the designer here, asking if the second run on the roof of the building -often seen as boring from those who rode Thunder Dolphin- isn't a lift zone, as the speed is so slow:

There are also snippets at Colossus plans here and there:

This must be Fuga da Atlantide at Gardaland:

Now there is also this mysterious wild-mouse kind of coaster John Warldey is working on, but I have no idea what this is (7:40 in the second part):

Very interesting video on Derren Browns Ghost Train by HTC, Definitely worth checking if you dont quite understand the attraction (Warning, Contains spoilers)

This is Real - Figment Productions/Thorpe Park
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2016 edited

I think you all know World Joyland in Changzhou for Starry Sky Ripper, the flying B&M that introduced the 540° roll.

But this park also got a bunch of other interesting attractions... You'll notice that the Islands Of Adventure inspiration is often, umh, quite obvious.

Anyways, if you like Soarin' but you find the movie a bit boring, well, WOULD. YOU. LOOK. AT. THAT.

Soarin' freakin' epic edition.
    I don't know if all of this makes any sense, but I don't care, it looks awesome!

Worth noticing was the Spiderman rip-off...

Woops. x)

But this ride is no more, sadly... Because they got a better one to copy.

I kid you not! Their own Fobidden Journey! I'd love to have more infos on that, and a video...

Here are more pictures of this park. Honestly, as much of a rip-off it is, dang it's actually amazing. Golden Horse also make good looking water-rides it seems!
    • CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2016

That place is one giant ripoff, they have Starcraft and World of Warcraft themed lands that aren't actually officially licensed. But hot damn, does it have some absolutely incredible theming.
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery

I personally could give less of a damn about the knockoff factor, that theming is pretty freakin' great. I'm really interested about what's inside that Forbidden Journey knockoff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26

@King - really love the brief peak at Intamin's design software circa 2003. Wish we could make it out a little more clearly, but still neat to see. I also wish we could see what they're using today - I'd imagine it's a bit more advanced!

•  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

^ NLE meetup at Intamin 2k17.

-

I uploaded the Epic Soarin' on Youtube for those who can't see Youku, and because it's such an amazing movie I find.
    •  
      CommentAuthorintim305
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2016

So I was doing a bit of messing around in photoshop and decided to see what Valravn would've looked like with the color scheme we all expected:
    https://gyazo.com/e27af6a5853062eef10f42e138185899
    HOT
    • CommentAuthorTheBeatles

I didn't know people expected/predicted color schemes for rides
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc

^ In one of Tony's periscope videos, he mentioned that purple was in the running for Valravn's colors.
    ^^^ that looks sweet. I think it would have fit their theme for the ride more. The silver and purple is a sweet color combination.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMillennium

I do enjoy Valravn's current colors (probably because it already feels familiar *cough cough Rougie*) but I'd love for that bold purple next to Raptor's slick new green paint job.
    • CommentAuthorInkyz

Four people have been killed at Dreamworld in Australia on the rapids ride. 6 people were in the boat when it flipped on the conveyor belt, trapping 4 of the 6 underneath. Two children escaped the conveyor belt but sadly two men and two women are dead.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

^ It isn't really a coveyor belt lift as we know it, and that's why it happened... The lift have the metal bars bare, and the raft get stuck in-between two of them...

• CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2016 edited

^^ I wondered if that news would get mentioned here..
    I heard about it just this afternoon on the news while i was in my car. People who were there and were interviewed on the news said that the ride had a problem earlier in the day, and a maintenance team drained all the water to work on it, before opening the ride again after about 30-40 mins.

Here's the story if anyone wants to read about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthoriSatnav

I wonder if the bulky seatbelts had anything to do with it. Most rapids have no restraints whatsoever but this one has a large strip of velcro/fabric going across your waist. I suspect that, had that not been there, people would've been able to escape when it flipped instead of 'getting involved' with the machinery where the boat flipped.