Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2016 edited

It's all the question wherever a water-ride must have seatbelts or not... Because when there're none, people stand up and drown (Parc Asterix, 2006...). :/

--

Posted By:BBSpeed26@King - really love the brief peak at Intamin's design software circa 2003. Wish we could make it out a little more clearly, but still neat to see.

I emailed Channel 4 (I stalked the credits at the end... If Channel 4 didn't answered, I was ready to reach the producer via LinkedIn!), and they said a DVD can still be bought at their store. If a UK resident is willing to buy it and put a HD version on Youtube... (it's +£10 for non-UK residents + taxes and everything).
    Maurer has just come out with a new animation of a custom Mobius/self-dueling Spike coaster concept.
    https://gyazo.com/720b690ccefadffa5b411358365441ae
    At least this looks somewhat interesting..
    ^ Steeplechase on steroids.

I really hate the idea of that ride having no anticipation whatsoever. No hold before a launch, no lift, no 'calm before the storm' section at the start. It's just 'hey you're going now'.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcrider4
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2016

Wtf is up with that last section of track. It's like they brought it near the station and hit the "Auto-Complete" button from RCT3.
    I think it looks pretty fun, definitely the best kind of layout for that type of ride, unlike sky dragsters one
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2016 edited

Posted By: Coasterfan312I really hate the idea of that ride having no anticipation whatsoever

I think that could one interesting aspect of these rides, but on the other hand they are controlled by the riders and therefore I'm not very sure if that's really the case.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

Please tell me this is a layout demonstration quickly put together, and not an actual carefully planned design. o_0
    Posted By: rcrider4Wtf is up with that last section of track. It's like they brought it near the station and hit the "Auto-Complete" button from RCT3.

Lmfao.

^^ If there are as many trains running as in the video then controlling the speed is going to become a pretty annoying problem. You'd probably end up with the Alpine Coaster / Autopia Effect quite a bit (where someone ahead of you is going really slow).
    •  
      CommentAuthordapalm

I must be the only one here who actually likes this kind of coaster... It should be a lot of fun, the one on Skyline Park looked great on the tests... So a dueling model should be really fantastic. The only thing that worries me is the capacity, although the brochure on their website says it can reach a reasonable capacity.

What looks weird to me is the similiraties with the dueling Maurer at Ferrari World... Makes me wonder why they didn't evolved that one instead of using a completely new technology... Well, I guess the LSM launches on that one increases the cost a lot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

^ No, I also really LOVE the concept! It's just the layouts they got... They are awful.

As for the dueling at Ferrari World, well it's another product. The seating position, the interactivity, the size, the propulsion technology, etc.
    HAHA Ok seriously no. Whats the pointing of a racing theme if there is no grand "finale" or at the very least a Finish line, you just end in this weird transition and go again. Such a terrible layout. The concept is fun but the execution is embarrassing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani

I really don't understand what most of you don't like about the layout (if it's all about the transitions in the video, I guess that these are just some drafts and nothing that has been calculated yet). I guess a finishing line would be part of the theming but that's most likely not part of that animation.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

I think it looks fine, it'll be a cute little family ride. I wish they could get more advanced with it, maybe adding larger turns and drops or having a train of cars or something.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

^^ I would trust you about the transitions if Sky dragster wasn't a thing already. :p

But other than that, there are no dramatic elements ; little-to-no interactions between the two lanes ; and no construction (start and finish). In the end, it's just a giant spaghetti mess.
    There is no way, either from an offride or an onride perspective, to tell who is ahead of the two bikers as you can't really manage to understand the layout at the first glance, which is a pity for a racing track.

Also, what's up with the tight corners? If I ever go on it, I'll be full throttle the whole time, so what? Will I be slowed down automatically, or will it throw me around as I am seated in an incomfortable position to endure those lateral gs?
    I'd design more clever elements that would be intimidating for people to go full speed there, but actually allow them to if they are brave enough. Camel-backs are nice for that, the feeling of going off the track is pretty scary - or tight but high-banked curves.
    ^Agree 100%. This is just poor, lazy design. Its just a useless crisscrossing jumble of steel. It doesn't have any sort of progression or reason to any of the elements.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani

If this is an actual track that was requested by a potential customer there's maybe even theming involved that is not shown in that rather minimalistic animation? I think it makes pretty much sense and for me even more after reading the description about what's possible with the custom layouts: read here.
    • CommentAuthorTheBeatles
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2016

If I were given the task of designing a layout for this type of ride, I would immediately throw out all coaster influences. I'd start with looking at the layouts of real racetracks, taking inspiration from them, and then varying the height accordingly to add some extra fun.

I think it's unfair to judge this ride type (currently) by its conceptual layouts, because in most parks, the manufacturer abides by the customers wishes, not the other way around. In the case of parks like Skyline and (more popularly) Europa Park, it's clear that the manufacturers have a big say in layouts here, as I believe use the parks as "test zones" so to speak.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2016 edited

Sky Dragster was clearly a proof of concept, since it seems like its only purpose is to demonstrate the various applications of the technology and nothing else on top of that. You have the quick launch, the unique turn elements, and the speed control section with no fluff in between. Not to mention that currently, your company has to sign up just for a ride on it, which definitely points towards it being intended as a test track and nothing else.

This Mobius render definitely isn't to say "Here, parks! Buy this!!" It's to say, "here's what a full layout could potentially look like should you choose to buy one of these." Complaining about its lack of progression and bland layout is kind of pointless, as I'm assuming it won't get built anyways.
    • CommentAuthorBullero
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2016 edited

Dutch theme park news site Looopings.nl posted an article about the building permit of Wildfire in Kolmarden. Apparently, it has been retracted due to the enviromental inpact of the rollercoaster. If they do not work things out, that technically means that Kolmarden has to take Wildfire down.

I'm sure they will work things out and not tear Wildfire down, but just the thought of it is scarier than any halloween event.

Just an interesting topic to talk about: what do you think?

Edit: English article
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan

America does not seem to have environmental restrictions for RMC coasters in natural areas. Like Outlaw and Lighting Rod.
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

^Both of those coasters are not in a zoo though. There might be wild animals around them, but nothing on the scales of lions and tigers.
    ^ Lagoon has a zoo and has no problem with rides around them. Theirs even has a stream engine drive by them. This is just Big Brother being stupid.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc

^Same goes for Busch Tampa.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorganFan
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2016

It would be kind of hilarious if the best wooden roller coaster in the world existed for less than a year.

Well good thing wildfire isn't the best wooden coaster in the world. Seriously though don't worry. If wildfire is operating he park will make more money, meaning the government will make more money. That same government who is deciding what to do with it. I have the feeling money is going to be more important to them then nature that won't be fixed by terring the ride down.

Then what is the best wooden coaster in the world? Only competition I see is El Toro.
    TExpress, lightning rod, outlaw run.. idk wildfire looks like it dies out a bit
    It is defiantly the best rmc
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2016

Boulder Dash master race
    Megaphobia back seat master race
    Loup garou master race..........yay
    Wodan master race or, for visitors since August, Colossos teat seat master race
    ^ Lmao
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2016

Posted By: KingRCT3a DVD can still be bought at their store. If a UK resident is willing to buy it and put a HD version on Youtube... (it's +£10 for non-UK residents + taxes and everything).

So... Is there any UK resident willing to buy the DVD to get an HD version of the documentary and put it on Youtube? :3
    I totally would, but as a non-UK resident + shipping costs it goes up to like 50€...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

Layout wise I do feel that Wildfire is potentially the best, however (as kyle said) it looks like it dies out towards the end. Not in a "ride ruining" type of way, but it's definitely there lmao.

•  
      CommentAuthorviking86

^Kyle is correct! The first half of Wildfire is fantastic, the first moment where you get a break is actually the second inversion. After that it's a bit of a mixed bag up until the barrel roll, which again is crazy, before it slows down a lot climbing into the last hill. The following drop is nothing special due to the low speed over the top, and the S-turns doesn't really add much to the ride. Then I thought those on El Toro were better. Keep in mind though that it has been 8 years between the two coasters for me, so that makes it more difficult to compare. But yeah, it doesn't ruin the ride, but the ending definitely leaves a little to be desired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

About Wildfire. That was my first and only RMC. The drop was great, but to be honest a bit frustrating too. I mean, you have an AMAZING sense of height during the turn up there. But then, the drop doesn't go all the way down, so it kinda feels "short".

The zero-g stall is a weird element: I didn't felt any hangtime/floating time at all. It was like I was straight up, but upside-down. So, it's visually interesting, you can look up and see the structure going by... But in term of actual sensation, you have none. I think I would have loved a small pop of air during the rotation (see Outlaw Run). That way, it ejects you out of the seat, and then the zero-g keep you on the edge. The way it is, you stay in your seat the whole time. :|

The outward turn is really awesome, it's perfect. Then, you have three low-to-the-ground elements that give you pop of air. It's ok, but I don't know, I rather like longer airtimes.
    The corkscrew/zero-g from the cliff side is cool but not as perfect as the zero-g on BlueFire. You don't float as much as I'd loved to. Then, it's a double-down, and that one is great.
    After that, you pass under the lift and make a low-to-the-hillside turn, which is fine.

The second zero-g is very fast and I feared I wouldn't like it. Well, it goes smoothly - it's fast but not incomfortable. However, it's the kind of element I'm a bit dreading of, I'm bracing myself in anticipation - only mentally, I still have my hands up all the time, but I can't just go mindlessly through it. It's hard to explain how I feel.

Then goes this infamous slow-down but, to be honest, it's well welcomed. You can catch a breath here, and from the backrows, you got a nice airtime. Then the S-turns are just kinda here.

So, Wildfire? I only rode it twice (front and back), and we had a pretty stressful day at the park, so maybe I'm a bit unfair to it. It's a great ride for sure (and it's visually STUNNING), but eh, it kinda left a taste of bitter in my mouth. I think it misses a true, long airtime hill, and the first drop could have been even better than that.
    Looks like all hope is not lost for olympia looping going to winter wonderland. Spotted at a ferry terminal:

https://gyazo.com/a08f0124fda37601c27f27dc305ff291
    • CommentAuthorrct800

I don't get why people still think that OL is not coming to London... But I hope you will have fun on this great ride! Please just not do anything to it, we'd like to have it back in a flawless state because I'm already starting to miss it in germany ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthoriSatnav

Just in case someone wanted any more confirmation, here are 2 of the loops on the banks of the Thames.

Holy sweet mother of hype.
    all aboard the hype train!......

and the road to a lot less money because WW is a total ripoff .-.
    ^I waited for about a minute expecting a picture to load
    • CommentAuthorcblanchard
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2016 edited

In case you missed it: fifteen parks across the country were bought by EPR Properties, including Darien Lake, Frontier City, and Magic Springs. Details here.

How do you think this will affect the parks, if at all?
    • CommentAuthorMr. E
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2016

Cedar Point lost the World Series bet.

https://www.facebook.com/cedarpoint/videos/10154037923831463/
    ^The best part of the video is when Tony keeps the camera from panning onto Mean Streak and he shakes his head. Lol I love how they are messing with enthusiasts about the RMC conversion!
    For anyone who hasn't already seen or isn't already hyped:

•  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2016 edited

A coaster with Sky Fly gondolas?

The concept is from Ride Engineers Switzerland.
    I'm not sure - either it works wonderfully, either it's a total fail. I don't know if you can really swing while going on an actual layout, rather than a circle.

They also showcase this crazy contraption:

... but I'm definitely less hyped about it. See it in motion here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorganFan
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2016 edited

^ the coaster would have to be powered. There's no way that a train could make it through the full course with riders constantly messing with the momentum drag.
    ^ Even so it would still be a cool Experience I bet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2016

Momemtum? I guess you meant drag. ;)

But yeah it would have to be powered indeed. Seeing the purposed layout, it doesn't matter really much anyway, haha!
    And you could think of an interactive ride exprience: imagine that to gain speed, the maximum number of people should do a flip throught a ring, and whatnot!