Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2017 edited

Time to get nerdy...

I happened to be doing some research on RCDB when I noticed (and I may be late on this) that the trains on Wildfire at SDC are different than the other B&M loopers. Specifically, the Wildfire trains are essentially hyper / giga trains with the lap bars changed out to OTSR seats.
    The other intriguing thing is that Wildfire's trains have the big wheels that newer B&Ms are using. However, the hyper train design back in 2001 used the small wheels.

Fury for comparison. Note that the wheels appear to be the same diameter.

Wildfire vs. Raging Bull.

Wildfire vs. Nitro. Another interesting detail is the restraint color. It seems that Wildfire's trains had their restraints changed in recent years.

Personally, I like the version of the trains on Wildfire more than the other style of sit down trains (Kumba, Dragon Khan, etc.).
    Maybe one day we'll see them in NL2? Please?

Click on an image to see the original size.
    •  
      CommentAuthorelement 115

i also much prefer the hyper style, makes it much more open than the regular looping trains. its almost like a floorless train, but with a floor and zerocar.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCrazycoaster

They updated the train style when they built Wildfire. The trains are much more like the floorless train designs, with the seats being higher up (it's basically a floorless train with a floor). But since Wildfire was the last one ever built, the newer train hasn't been used again. And they can't be retrofit onto the older sit down loopers because the heartlines are different (higher up).

The higher up seating carried on through to the hypers as well.

EDIT: I've just realised, there was one sit down built after Wildfire, and interestingly enough, they opted for the older style seating on Led Zeppelin/Time Machine. Possibly to have the bulkier zero car?
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2017

Rather impressive accident in Mexico. Hopefully the kid will be fine...
    My god i thought i was desensitised to this stuff... that was awful, RIP.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

Dude what's your problem with posting this type of stuff? Way too far for an online forum, come on.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDanSm1l3r

I think I need new eyes after seeing that... O.o
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorganFan

So sad that nobody would help the poor kid. What has the amusement industry come to?
    :'(
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2017 edited

I didn't think it could get worse than the girl on the top spin...

RIP small Mexican child, RIP.
    it seems like there has been no news coverage of this.. very bizarre
    Strange, that's the sort of thing that would be on mainstream media if it happened in the UK.
    • CommentAuthorTheBeatles

Not gonna lie, this brought me genuine happiness.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZergei

This is fake news, the media and CNN should stop these terrible lies about Mexico! Sad! They're a great country and I'm going to make the best amusement park deals with them, let me tell you.
    But only after they pay for the wall.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTheDarkStar
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2017 edited

^^you sadistic f**k
    •  
      CommentAuthorskyasaurus
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2017

lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2017

New red track has appeared at B&M's plant in Ohio. The blue track is going to Happy Valley Chengdu for their dive coaster.

•  
      CommentAuthorUncleArly
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2017

I loved that people thinking IOA were re-tracking Dueling Dragons.
    ^ That would be nice.
    • CommentAuthorBullero
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2017 edited

^^If only... and then make them duel again!

Well that red track definitely appears to have an inversion in it. From the track width I'm guessing either floorless or minidive.

The blue track appears to be of the narrow type like the European installations. I don't get why other Happy Valley parks opted for the 10-seat trains and wider track while Chengdu is probably going with standard track and 6-across trains.
    • CommentAuthorInkyz
    • CommentTimeMar 9th 2017

Because it's a smaller dive machine?
    •  
      CommentAuthorHLcoasters
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2017 edited

A german newssite released a documentation about taron ! it´s very interesting and explains why the lsm is so powerfull (its watercooled so that they can use more Power) and also why this new tie spacing is used (because of new regulations so they are allowed to use less structure )
    its in german, thats the only downside.
    also the clearance is really really tight in some places, awesome job they have done there.
    Spiegel.de Dokumentation
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2017 edited

Did you know Interpark make the best and biggest coasters in the world? Well, not really but that's the feeling we get when we see this otherwise interesting reportage: Interpark presenting in 15 minutes

-

Warner Bros. Movie World wanted to reply to the media coverage of ride incidents with these informative videos:
    Why do rides stop?
    Morning inspection of Green Lantern
    uk parks need to do this
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2017 edited

Staying on topic of safety... Here's China for you again. Yes, it's yet another accident... For real and quite impressive (no, it's not the ice cream kid again). I don't know the aftermath.
    • CommentAuthorliamy321
    • CommentTimeMar 13th 2017

I love how the category of the video is "Comedy"
    that title tho
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2017

I'm sad to report the death of a worker on Winjas, performing annual maintenance... He was crushed on the elevator.
    Article in German

It's even more touching as Phantasialand was doing great videos about the work on the off-season. We get immersed and get to know some of the workers...
    • CommentAuthorInkyz

Wow. Crazy to think something like that happened at Phantasialand, considering their standards.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRobotnik

Google Translate:

Brühl -
    Dramatic accident in adventure and leisure park Phantasialand: A worker was killed Tuesday morning in a roller coaster.
    According to previous information, the 58-year-old was crushed and killed during maintenance of a lifting device for the car.
    Rollercoaster "Winjas"
    Only two and a half weeks before the end of the winter break and before re-million visitors want to have fun, the theme park will be overshadowed by a tragic incident.
    How EXPRESS learned to have been busy time of the accident at the roller coaster "Winjas" under the theme "Wuze Town" the victim.
    pinching From lifting device
    Here, the 58-year-old had been pinching reasons as yet unknown from the lifting device - a kind of elevator with which the cars are transported 16 feet into the air before the ride starts.
    His injuries were so severe that an ambulance could see only the man's death.
    The Office for Occupational Safety is now trying to clarify with the investigators from Kriminalkommissariat 11 the causes of the terrible accident.
    A spokeswoman for the Parks confirmed the tragic accident. "It acts with the victim to one of our direct employees. We will do everything to support the work of the investigators in Phantasialand. "
    The victim should be made at the amusement park for years.
    (Cru)
    – Quelle: http://www.express.de/26193918 ©2017

Hopefully someone can make something of this, but as it's a GT job, it may be rather difficult.
    Coaster Crazy.com are reporting that there has been a fatal accident on Winjas at Phantasialand in Germany.

https://www.coastercrazy.com/forums/topic36864.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorBolt789
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2017

^That's what was just being discussed.

What a horrible story. We can only hope the death was quick.

^ Oops, i didn't realize. Sorry!
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2017 edited

About a year ago I found this patent from Zamperla, and now thanks to a french TV show we can see that they built a prototype at their factory:

I left the timestamp on the screens, so you can see it directly in the video as well. Note that the whole part about Zamperla (9:10 - 23:02) is very interesting and worth a whatch. They are talking about how tough it is to design a coaster for a mall -as it is the primary topic of the broadcast- and it reminded me of our NoLimits contests. "Design a thrilling ride for families going around these columns"

We can see some computer simulations of layouts (and their clearance envelope running along #NL2wish).

Another interesting part is when Alberto Zamperla goes to Russia to sign a deal... My-oh-my what he has to go through! In short, it includes going around his property, visiting the city for hours, dining, drinking vodka, going to a karaoke night, drinking vodka, sleeping in a woodcabin (datcha) at the heart of the siberian plain, drinking vodka (at breakfast), snowmobiling.... And then only they can consider talking business.
    Sorry for the bump but I'm at SFMM right now and they repainted Goldrushers station to a blue and yellow color, and they are running Riddlers Revenge with water dummies, and lots of concrete got later down. I'll post pics later. (Thought this thread would be more suitable instead of 2017)
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2017 edited

Why does Zamperla insist on having all of their coasters so high off of the track?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2017

So the coaster can be "that" much taller.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2017 edited

Perhaps to be able to have a tight vertical radius capability?
    •  
      CommentAuthorZergei
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2017

If you're impatient waiting for the SFMM pics, here's a large update from CCK.
    clickity-click
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly
    • CommentTimeApr 9th 2017

Flashback (boomerang clone) at SFNE valleyed today in the middle of the cobra roll. I don't have pictures since my phone is pretty bad and doesn't support imgur, but if someone sends me their # I can send pictures for them to upload haha.
    ^No way! Is everybody evacuated yet?
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2017

^They were all evacuated (I believe) about 20 minutes after I made my post here, but it valleyed roughly 3 hours before so they were up there FOR A WHILE!

Here's an image, sorry for the potato quality but I had to zoom in on my crappy windows phone and the movie classic "enhance" feature didn't come with it. Also, Funfact! This is the SECOND time I've encountered a ride valleying at SFNE, the other time was late last year when the winds were really high, pandemonium didn't make it up the first hill and valleyed, that was more interesting though since they had to use a cherrypicker to get the people down haha.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

Evacuating the first row must have been fun!
    Imagine sitting there for 2+ hours like that... Nope!
    I'm shocked it took them that long to evac though, they didn't need to call the fire department since there's a catwalk... The hardest part is securing the train and that should take 30 minutes from the ride getting called down. This is something that should NOT take 2 hours to start if you have a plan put together. Good job Six Flags!
    • CommentTimeApr 10th 2017 edited

Not confirmed, but it looks like the Millennium Falcon ride at Disneyland/Hollywood Studios is going to be a Mission Space clone:

Here's an aerial view of the Falcon ride at Disneyland

And blueprints for Mission Space at Epcot

Side by side

More reasonable speculation from Coaster101 here: http://www.coaster101.com/2017/04/10/millennium-falcon-ride-mission-space-2-0/
    • CommentAuthorDelay

Still better than hanging upside down in a corkscrew for an hour...
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

As long as it's more updated than its counterpart, Mission Space, I don't mind this at all. Sure, I would prefer something fresh but I actually really enjoy mission space and I'm pretty curious to see how they take on this using the same system.

^I agree. I think it's a cool experience for DL
    • CommentAuthorStevenX
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2017 edited

Hmm. I enjoy Mission Space but I know a lot of people really don't. I guess it's better than a standard simulator, but I'm not sure Disney really need 2 of these on property at WDW. I'm struggling to think how they can really particularly improve upon the existing experience, but hopefully they have something other than just a different video to show for it.