Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2017

It kinda sucks to see those types of rides go, SFNE had one and I remember it being a lot of fun, yet was always down for AT LEAST half of the day, if not the entire.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCrazycoaster
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2017 edited

I haven't seen Slammer open in years anyway, I assume they've probably only been waiting for the budget to pay to scrap it. It's novelty wore out after the first time riding it, I don't know why Stan insisted on trying to sell rides that relied on hang time as it's selling point (looking at those vile squirrel things too). Hang time is not an enjoyable part of any ride! Good riddance!!

Interestingly though, this is now about a quarter of the park they've closed in that area now. Canada Creek is pretty much all a rotting ghost town (not sure if that little spinning train ride is still there?) now with this there's a huge area to play with. New themed land maybe?? Shipping container world! You read it here first.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

I'm gonna have to disagree with you there, hangtime is one of my favorite things on coasters and flat rides. I always wanted to ride one of these, but oh well. Sounds like they were uncomfortable anyways.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

A Sky Swat ride is basically a flat-ride version of a pretzel loop on a B&M flying coaster. I rode Manta and I loved the airtime you get at the entrance...
    Since then, I really wanted to ride a Sky Swat, as the feeling of going over the top and diving toward the ground must be visually stunning.

Note that I also enjoyed Sequoia Adventure, haha. The hangtime didn't bothered me, but the cool part was to go over the edge(s).
    • CommentAuthorStevenX

Posted By: CrazycoasterNew themed land maybe?? Shipping container world! You read it here first.

You beat me to the punchline!

I'm not really sure what I'd like to see Thorpe do now. Perhaps an S&S FreeSpin 4D might work well at Thorpe as a small mid-budget 'coaster to soak up some crowds, and which is easily marketable.
    I quite liked it as far as flat rides go, and it took up a pretty small area so I doubt they can replace it with anything significantly better. Looking forward to seeing what eventually happens with the Loggers Leap space, though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorUncleArly

I liked Slammer. Interestingly, whenever I've been to Thorpe, it's Slammer that's been open and Rush closed, so I'm the opposite to most that I've never ridden Rush. Like King said, the airtime at the crest was incredible.
    •  
      CommentAuthoriSatnav

God I'm happy its finally gone. Coming from someone who, like King, enjoyed Sequoia Adventure, I hated Slammer. It just hurt and, from my experience, spent way more time down that it did up. Since I have a strong suspicion that Loggers Leap is getting removed, I fancy the chances of something big going in that area alongside a major theme renovation.
    Having ridden slammer, i can confirm its nowhere near as fun as a flyer pretzel loop and also more painful.
    https://gyazo.com/4fe193a9c04790b85ce57da784ac7218

Thorpe pls

(isatnav did the shop because im lazy, but its my coaster)
    •  
      CommentAuthornolimiters

^Awesome!
    •  
      CommentAuthorCrazycoaster

^^^^ I thought it was already confirmed that loggers leap was being removed?

The whole area on the map is "under development" whatever that means.

Also yeah, it's like a pretzel loop in the movement, but without B&M's comfy seats/vests, and with S&S's horrible shoulder blocks.

Just out of curiosity JAKool, what is it that you enjoy about hangtime? I think the only time I've enjoyed hangtime is on a ride like the Swarm, where the rides vest keeps you in place. All other times your body is just leaning uncomfortably into the OTSRs.
    • CommentAuthorInkyz

^ Thorpe said on Twitter that they have no plans to remove Logger's Leap.
    I call BS on that, but we will see
    It might be like Hex, and reopen next year but with lots of police tape hanging over everything.
    •  
      CommentAuthoriSatnav

Rumour is that Loggers and the Flume at Alton are both being removed for the same reason (god knows what), which is why they closed at similar times. The only difference is they had reason to remove the Flume, for SW8, while they don't have a reason to remove Loggers yet to warrant the kind of investment it would require.
    • CommentAuthorA113

Full Throttle and other lapbar with similar elements have great hangtime
    ^While talking about SFMM, lapbars, and hang time, we can't forget to mention the Top Gun stall on Twisted Colossus.

I think the key, like you said, is lapbars. The skyloops also have wonderful hang time coming off the lift.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

^ True, and Maurer Sky Loops, and Blue Fire... It all comes down to a good seat design.

-

You wanted it, they delivered. VR water slide.

Click on the image for a video.

Eeeeeeyup.

-

And by the way, an indoor sky-diving facility near Paris might add VR as well. Now that could be interesting.
    I suggested them months ago on a comment, and they replied a few weeks ago that it might come sooner than expected... While I was considering the idea, I made researches and it seems some facilities in Australia already purposes that option.
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery

VR is just getting more and more ridiculous just stop it guys come on
    •  
      CommentAuthorRCF

^^ I can only imagine the lines on that thing. Loading would take so long, and when you get to the bottom, you take it off, but how does it get back to the top?
    • CommentAuthorA113
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2017

the current implementation of VR in most cases is more for novelty and a revenue "booster": the real game changer will be implementing AR. I think VR works better as a design tool and for personal recreation rather than mass consumption
    ^^^^Fun fact: it will not be a world exclusive since it's not the only VR slide opening this year. Scary Falls at Aqualandia (near Venice, in Italy) is also getting the "VR treatment":

Ok, this is just stupid now.
    Is.. is this actually real or a joke?
    • CommentAuthorDelay
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2017

^^The entire VR thing is stupid.
    ^ That's pretty much what I meant :P

Only VR attraction I've tried so far is DBGT, and it works on that because it's stationary.
    • CommentAuthorPopFilms
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2017

Speaking of VR... I'm riding Zumanjaro Drop of Doom VR today! please^kill^^me^^^now
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

Why do you have that reaction for it? Just don't ride it if you hate it so much. The Drop of Doom VR looks genuinely good, and you can just opt out of the headsets of you detest them so much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

Was gunna say... The Drop Tower/VR conversions seem to be the only ones that look at least some-what enjoyable, considering your headset isn't flailing around and your "mostly" getting a stationary experience (as Cfan mentioned).
    • CommentAuthorPopFilms

It was actually really good for a VR ride. I got on the first ride of the day and it helps Kingda Ka out a lot since Ka can go more often now.
    It kinda ruins the point of it being the world's tallest drop tower if you're just going to block the view with headsets, that's my only problem with Zumanjaro.

I don't see why they couldn't just have one or two non-VR towers since there are three :/
    • CommentAuthorBigbad
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2017

It's optional. There's no need to separate by tower. The towers all run at the same time, so it wouldn't even increase capacity.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2017 edited

I don't think it ruins it, having the tallest drop tower isn't really about how high up you are, but rather how long the fall is imo. Plus the VR does a good job with making it seem as if you're way up higher than you really are lol.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2017 edited

Sorry for the DP, and this isn't necessarily news either, just something cool I picked up on. (Not sure if anyone posted this yet)

You guys know those sound effects used in coaster animations? I'm specifically talking about the common "screams" you hear, hell, even a lot of creators here use the same clips for their own videos. Well I'm pretty sure I found the source of it. 1:02 is where it's most obvious, just something neat I noticed when browsing the good ole youtube.
    • CommentAuthorBigbad
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2017

Some of the thrill with Zumanjaro is how long you're falling, and that's certainly an advantage to having the world's highest drop tower, but some of the thrill is slowly ascending and seeing how high you are.

They'll lose something by doing VR, but they'll also gain the thrill of whatever the VR shows. Whether its an improvement is anyone's guess, and I'd imagine it's better to be able to look DOWN at a hypercoaster, but I expect to try it out the next time I'm there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorganFan
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2017

•  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

^The classic RCT days.. Mmmm
    • CommentAuthorDelay

^^That was added in afterwards... was it?
    • CommentAuthorInkyz

^ Nope. RCT used that as a sample.
    • CommentAuthorInkyz
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2017

Sorry for double post, but a girl of age 11 has died at Drayton Manor after falling out of Splash Canyon (an Intamin rapids).
    •  
      CommentAuthorRobotnik

BBC live wires:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-39405336
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39862996
    • CommentAuthorDelay
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2017 edited

^^On a school trip... The worst time for something like this to happen. One moment they have a nice day in a park and the next, one dies in the hospital.

Disturbing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlamewad

Ugh. So sad. Prayers to the family.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2017

(trying to lighten the mood)

While I most of the time harsh with DLP and mad at them (*cough* Hyperspace), this video reminds me why I freaking love this park, and how it is one of the most beautiful park ever created. I never did that, but I'm sure you can spend a full day without going on any ride.
    • CommentAuthorPopFilms
    • CommentTimeMay 12th 2017

We're back... AT DISNEYLAND

*proceeds to rock out to the Randomland theme song*
    •  
      CommentAuthornolimiters

concept art for the racing launched coasters heading to Wanda Guangzhou in China.
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

Looks a lot like Soaring with Dragon. I wish the layout was a bit longer though.
    https://gyazo.com/61ce3028cc572caeb3f507b143fb1838
    First look at RMC's *prototype* Raptor train.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2017

This whole concept just screams "backyard coaster" to me.