Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorTOGO Fan
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2017

This was a very early single rail coaster.

http://ih1.redbubble.net/image.3346237.6743/flat,800x800,070,f.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery
    • CommentTimeMay 18th 2017

^^ The car especially. Looks pretty neat actually, lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2017

From the Intamin 50 years brochure, here are some interesting lines...

Posted By: Hint-aminWhen new products are being developed, Intamin has always insisted on first having a smaller version
    built, prototype tested and put into first article use before gradually scaling up the size of the final product.
    The first Rapids Ride had a height difference of 3.6m and eventually the largest version had over 14m
    difference. The first Giant Drop was of 54m, the tallest built so far over 120m and now on the drawing
    board - well, we are not entitled to say!
    First came the Mega Coaster at 60m of height now we are talking
    well over 100m. The first hydraulic launch was of 90 km/h and Formula Rossa is 240 km/h.

120+m drop tower incoming?! :D
    The brochure was edited in 2017, so it's up to date (although projects can fail or be postponed *cough* Polercoaster).
    • CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2017 edited

I think there's supposed to be a drop ride on the Skyplex tower so that's probably what they're referring to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

Eyup, and there is also the Skydrop at Skyrise Miami, definitely Intamin if we trust the website, and 182m tall.

... but are there any news on these projects?
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

Yeah the polercoaster isn't happening
    ^Stop.
    • CommentAuthorMrRC

Posted By: TOGO FanThis was a very early single rail coaster.

This is made by Mack Rides
    • CommentAuthorDelay

Good to see what they started out with.
    ^^This combined with Matterhorn Bobsleds equals to RMC Raptor.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorganFan
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2017

There may be a WWE themed park coming to Orlando soon. Looks to have at least a couple cool rides and seems kinda promising (as far as park development goes).
    http://smartpermit.santaclaraca.gov/tm_bin/tmw_cmd.pl?tmw_cmd=StatusViewCase&shl_caseno=PLN2017-12662
    Not sure which topic to put it in (2017 or 2018) so I'll put it here. CGA filed for an Architectual Review for the addition of a 100ft. roller coaster to their park.
    • CommentAuthorInkyz
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2017

Aaaaaand Kolmarden confirms that Wildfire will reopen this summer!
    • CommentAuthorBullero
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2017

^That is great news! Time to plan that Scandinavian road trip...
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2017 edited

I'm so fucking happy right now, words can't describe
    •  
      CommentAuthorUncleArly
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2017

The Walt Disney Company buys out Disneyland Paris!

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201706/5610/

Amazing news!
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTime7 days ago

Re: Vest restraints.

Vest restraints are holding you tight, that's the thing I can say for sure! For slender people like me with collar bones pointing out, it can sometimes be a bit bothering.

I've tested both Vekoma and B&Ms. Now each coaster can feel different, because it's up to each park to set the tightness of the belt mechanism. I know B&M had troubles with the first models with people complaning while waiting in brake runs, and worked on improving that with parks (especially Cedar Point on Gatekeeper).

I'm not sure if I really like it or not. On one hand it's really cool and not as bulky as a horse collar (especially B&M when you can't even put your hands up), but in the other hand you have actually less upper-body freedom, as you are constantly pushed against the seat.

-

I have another question regarding restraints. Some people said that on coasters like Skyrush and Cannibal, there's a system slighlty releasing the lap-bar once you come at the final brake run. Is this true, I had never heard of it! What's this system and how does it works?
    I remember that one lap on Loup Garou (Walibi Belgium) where the lap-bar was killing my thighs for ages waiting on the brake run, so I support the idea, haha.
    •  
      CommentAuthorviking86
    • CommentTime7 days ago edited

Posted By: KingRCT3I remember that one lap on Loup Garou (Walibi Belgium) where the lap-bar was killing my thighs for ages waiting on the brake run, so I support the idea, haha.

I had the same problem on Robin Hood @ Walibi Holland. The lapbar tightened during the ride, so it was really tight when the ride was over. I don't know if it's a problem related specifically to the Vekoma T-bar restraints, but I've never had a problem with lapbar tightening on Thundercoaster, which has a different lapbar design.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTime7 days ago

I hadn't this problem on Robin Hood, so I don't know (and Thundercoaster was already Timberliner when I rode it).
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery
    • CommentTime7 days ago

Posted By: UncleArlyThe Walt Disney Company buys out Disneyland Paris!

http://www.themeparkinsider.com/flume/201706/5610/

Amazing news!

GotG: Mission Breakout Paris is all I see as a result of this. Like idc if it's Europe or whatever, I still see it happening.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly
    • CommentTime7 days ago

Both Superman and Wicked Cyclone's lapbars also get tighter during the ride, I've always chalked it up to forces since in both cases it only happens during the valleys.
    •  
      CommentAuthorYedrimas
    • CommentTime7 days ago edited

^^ Actually they're not planning to replace the ToT, it's still loved by guests, they're more likely to change RnRC.
    It would also be cheaper.
    Posted By: Yedrimasit's still loved by guests

Let's not pretend like that has stopped them before
    Some time ago (before the DCA ToT conversion), one of the rumors for the future of Walt Disney Studios was that the entire left part of the park would be transformed into Marvel Land (with RnRC becoming a Spiderman themed roller coaster). If this happens I fear that they'll eventually change the ToT into Guardians.
    Let's hope that that day, if existing, is far far away!
    • CommentAuthorStevenX
    • CommentTime7 days ago

That won't happen. Universal own the exclusive rights to use the Marvel characters east of the Mississippi (and even stricter restrictions within 60 miles of Universal Orlando). Even across the US, there are restrictions on what Disney can do with the Marvel characters on the West coast. It would only ever happen if Universal sold the rights back to Disney, which would rely on them finding some other brand/franchises to re-theme Marvel Island to. It's extremely unlikely they'd ever want to do that. Alternatively, it could happen if Universal broke their contract with Marvel, for example by not maintaining rides to the standard Marvel expects, but the contract favors Universal in this and it'd be rally hard for Disney/Marvel to ever enact this. The contract Universal has is very strong.
    ^ Walt Disney Studios and Hollywood Studios are two separate parks in two different continents.
    • CommentAuthorarktic2
    • CommentTime6 days ago

Posted By: StevenXThat won't happen. Universal own the exclusive rights to use the Marvel characters east of the Mississippi (and even stricter restrictions within 60 miles of Universal Orlando). Even across the US, there are restrictions on what Disney can do with the Marvel characters on the West coast. It would only ever happen if Universal sold the rights back to Disney, which would rely on them finding some other brand/franchises to re-theme Marvel Island to. It's extremely unlikely they'd ever want to do that. Alternatively, it could happen if Universal broke their contract with Marvel, for example by not maintaining rides to the standard Marvel expects, but the contract favors Universal in this and it'd be rally hard for Disney/Marvel to ever enact this. The contract Universal has is very strong.

They have backup plans for that area already were the marvel land is, basically yes they can use the characters from marvel to a point. Disney could pull the marvel branding from universal, it just requires more legal work.
    • CommentAuthorStevenX
    • CommentTime6 days ago

^ They have back-up plans, but I think most of them predate the Marvel deal (when they wanted to use Batman, for example).

Disney could pull the Marvel branding, but it seems incredibly unlikely, unless Universal particularly want to get rid of their rights to use the characters, which also seems incredibly unlikely. Even if Universal wanted to re-theme that area of the park (and why would they spend a ton of money on e.g. Spiderman when it's still as popular as it is? Besides, it's one of the areas of the park least in need of a refresh), there's no incentive for them to just give up the rights unless Disney were offering something incredibly valuable in return.

More legal work would translate to either Disney proving Universal broke their contract in some way (extremely aggressive and not likely to be successful), Disney buying Universal out entirely (insanely expensive before even building anything) or Disney & Universal coming to some mutually beneficial deal. That last one's probably the most likely, but given the amount of money both parties would have to put into it (Disney having to give up something valuable enough to persuade Universal to spend the money to re-theme the island, remove Marvel form their marketing and merchandise, etc. and lose the valuable rights; and Universal's costs to do all that), it just seems like a total non-starter. There isn't enough in it for either Disney or Universal I think. Disney would be better concentrating on the franchises they do have the rights to use in their parks than considering this - and that's what they look to be doing with Avatar, Star Wars and Toy Story.

So it's definitely possible but I think it's incredibly unlikely that we'll see a significant Marvel presence in Florida outside of Universal any time soon.
    ^ There is a Guardians ride going into Epcot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTime6 days ago

I thought Universal has the rights for the comic version of the characters, and Disney for their MCU movies counterparts, or something like this..?
    ^Technically not since Disney owns the rights to Marvel in its entirety, not just it's cinematic universe. But the problem arises due to the fact that Universal already had rights to Marvel characters before Disney's acquisition of Marvel. So technically Disney still owns the characters but can't use the ones present at USO on their Orlando property (Spiderman, Hulk, etc.) without taking some legal action or some sort of contract or settlement.
    • CommentAuthorBigbad
    • CommentTime6 days ago

King, Skyrush definitely has a slight loosening of the restraints on the brake run. I don't know how it works, but before you round that U-turn back to the station, the harnesses loosen and everyone goes, "Ahhhhhhhh."
    https://youtu.be/hpvVBDz1rXM
    If you look at 1:30 in this video you can see the restraint release bar near the right rail. Intamin restraints are released when a certain current is present and due to this, Intamin can program these track mounted bars to release the restraints for X seconds... Typically it's for 10 seconds but in the case of Skyrush, I'm sure they have it set to like .1 or .2 seconds for comfort when sitting in the breaks.

I haven't ridden the ride though so I'm not 100% sure if this is the location in which the bars will typically pop up a hair.
    King,

Wicked at Lagoon was modified a few years after it was built with this system because it tights as the ride goes around. Cannibals lapbars don't tighten as the ride goes and so no need to loosen at the end of the ride.
    • CommentAuthorarktic2
    • CommentTime5 days ago edited

Posted By: StevenX^ They have back-up plans, but I think most of them predate the Marvel deal (when they wanted to use Batman, for example).

Disney could pull the Marvel branding, but it seems incredibly unlikely, unless Universal particularly want to get rid of their rights to use the characters, which also seems incredibly unlikely. Even if Universal wanted to re-theme that area of the park (and why would they spend a ton of money on e.g. Spiderman when it's still as popular as it is? Besides, it's one of the areas of the park least in need of a refresh), there's no incentive for them to just give up the rights unless Disney were offering something incredibly valuable in return.

More legal work would translate to either Disney proving Universal broke their contract in some way (extremely aggressive and not likely to be successful), Disney buying Universal out entirely (insanely expensive before even building anything) or Disney & Universal coming to some mutually beneficial deal. That last one's probably the most likely, but given the amount of money both parties would have to put into it (Disney having to give up something valuable enough to persuade Universal to spend the money to re-theme the island, remove Marvel form their marketing and merchandise, etc. and lose the valuable rights; and Universal's costs to do all that), it just seems like a total non-starter. There isn't enough in it for either Disney or Universal I think. Disney would be better concentrating on the franchises they do have the rights to use in their parks than considering this - and that's what they look to be doing with Avatar, Star Wars and Toy Story.

So it's definitely possible but I think it's incredibly unlikely that we'll see a significant Marvel presence in Florida outside of Universal any time soon.

disney owns full rights to marvel universe. universal just leases them via the contract that disney has in place., and yes disney can pull the branding but they have to give universal a time frame to do so.
    • CommentAuthorlore_sully
    • CommentTime2 days ago edited

It's official, Wildfire will reopen TOMORROW (June 20th)! Yay!
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery
    • CommentTime2 days ago

Thank god it's gonna be open when I go to Europe
    Paramount have discontinued the license agreement with the London Paramount Resort project (Its now going to be known as just "London Resort"). They still plan to submit planning applications at the end of this year though

Press Release
    dead
    • CommentAuthorStevenX
    • CommentTime1 day ago

I don't think this will ever happen. The money appears to have dried up quite a long time (2 or 3 years ago) on this project. The company I work for was doing some initial work on it, but stopped when the money stopped coming around that time. Since then, more and more wheels seem to be falling off...
    I think if it does happen, its probably going to go way over budget like hard rock park did