Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

i agree this can happen to any coaster but gertlauer havent got the greatest track record the last few years. not that the manaufacturere has been at fault at all really, but still doesnt look good on them, still my fave manufacturer though
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2017 edited

So the ops at Lake Compounce finally decided to do 2 train ops on Boulder Dash for the first time all season (the manager of the park is afraid running 2 trains will put too much damage on the track and would rather lower capacity and hurt the guest experience to save money on maintenance), and they crashed during the test run. Apparently the green train flew past the brakes and hit the blue train from the back. The park has said they will try to get everything running by next weekend but seeing as how it took them 3 extra months to get Wildcat working I don't count on it reopening before the end of the season.

Wait... I think I understand the ride ops' train of thought here (pun may have been intended). They thought that if there are no trains able to run the track, then the track can't be damaged! They're just trying to help the manager out. Great thinking, guys!
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2017

Wow, what's up with train collisions this year?
    •  
      CommentAuthorKWTbolt

Just glad no one was on the ride when this happened, but not sure how the braking system malfunctioned that badly to allow a collision hard enough to cause multiple cars to buckle and come up off the track. In any case, not a great case being made to run both trains ... ugh.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMillennium

Even in manual mode, the brakes should default to closed, so I'm not sure how this would have occurred unless both brake runs are connected in terms of manual buttons or the ride system is kinda weird.
    Don't know if this has been posted yet but, anyone got £410 spare ha?

http://10ws.co/2gMeYf6
    ^ Just came one to post this but you beat me to it!

1/2 tonne boat would be a challenge to transport home... However, if you could manage it, I'm thinking one would make a cool flower bed?
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2017 edited

Did you guys ever heard of Bà Nà HiIls? I don't remember if I talked about this before. It's located in Vietnam.

It's a project led by Falcon's Treehouse (an Orlando-based comany), and it's a one-of-a-kind. It's not a theme park (tho it got a few rides, including an alpine coaster), but it's not a standard resort destination as well. It's a place themed like a french medieval town.

... and when I mean "themed", I mean it:

It's located at the top of a mountain, too, which is cool:

Falcon's has a great video sharing some insights about the project, including peeks at the extensive storyline they created for it.

Here is a 360° video tour of the town.

One on hand it might looks uncanny (especially for us french people, haha), as everything is fake and artificial - but on the other hand I don't know, I love the level of immersion they got in here. I love the overall architecture, and how everything both theming-wise and facilities-wise is integrated within each other. Love the height variation, too. I'd love to see a theme park looking like this, moreover with a storyline for the entire place and not just random rides barely related to each other.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2017

Kennywood is closing and removing its classic Arrow log flume, Log Jammer at the end of the year (so, in 3 days).

The Log Jammer was noteworthy from a theme park design dork perspective because, apart from being one of a dwindling number of remaining Arrow Log flumes, it was the first (and possibly only?) to feature a mid-ride drop that 1) didn't end in a splashdown pool and 2) then went uphill powered only by gravity, as seen in this video. The result was a second half of the ride (before the big finale drop) that was much rowdier and quicker than most any other log flumes I've been on. However, as you can see from the video, most of the flume trough itself has become an almost comical patchwork of fiberglass fixes and reinforcement.

All that said, a Log Jammer removal opens up a pretty sizeable chunk of land, with ready access to Kennywood's owned-but-as-of-yet-unused enormous ravine to the east of the park. The latest leaks and a slew of more boring, visual-less permits that Kennywood has filed, indicate that they're looking at a fairly significant coaster for the space, which, if the rough layout is to be believed, looks to have some RMC calling cards in the layout. #NEAT

That said, as of a few weeks ago, there didn't appear to be any obvious work being done in the ravine, and I'd have expected work to have been started by now if we're looking at a 2018 project. So... major new coaster at Kennywood, coming... 2019?

•  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2017 edited

The Fantawild parks got (at least one) robocoaster, quite similar to Forbidden Journey. I gathered some pictures:

Trips'n'Pics

Patent

Trips'n'Pics

Source

Fantawild Holdings Inc.

Fantawild Holdings Inc. also have various pictures and videos about other Fantawild attractions:

4D Dark-rides (Spiderman-like)
    Simulated-Flight Rides (weird kinda-robocoaster dark-ride, not the one I got a picture above, I've never seen something like this!)
    Shooting Dark-Rides (Midway Mania rip-off)
    Suspended Spherical Theaters (Flying Theater, but here the screen is really half a sphere, while the western variations often lack the upper half)
    Full dome Theater With Movable Sitting Platform (a rather impressive contraption which is a mix between a physical anminatronic show and a overhead dome screen)

Fantawild also have a relatively new Youtube channel, in English, with for instance this nice video of Qin Dynasty Adventure, an Indiana-Jones rip-off.

I'm stunned how clueless we are about all these attractions and dark-rides, here in the western part of the globe.
    • CommentAuthorStevenX

I've only been on a few of these Chinese rides, and they've generally been pretty terrible knock-offs of the originals. You can see some of the reasons why in some of those promo videos. For example, in the Suspended Spherical Theatre video, you can see all kinds of crazy warping at the edges of the screens. Usually even if the hardware is OK, not much attention is paid to details like this which make a massive difference. Projecting flat footage which hasn't been corrected for projection onto a curved surface just doesn't work well. Soaring Dragon at Happy Valley Shanghai suffers from this particularly problem (as well as the fact you can quite easily see all the edges of the screen at once, the screen's way too light and you can see every seam in it), although I'm not sure who manufactured that. I don't like flying theatres at all at the best of times, but the difference between this and Soarin' a few miles away at Shanghai Disneyland is pretty incredible. You can really see the details and work that's been put into something like Soarin' to make the experience as good as it can be, and all the ways those details have been overlooked at something like Soaring Dragon. The only one I've seen done fairly well is Fuji Airways at FujiQ in Japan. I imagine Europa Park's new one should be fairly good as well, but none of these type rides really do much for me anyway.

They also have a dreadful attempt at a 4D dark ride called Storm Chaser at Happy Valley Shanghai. It's like being sat in a cardboard box being driven around a warehouse and parking in front of a washed-out screen you can barely make out every so often. It's truly a miserable experience.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

Thanks for the feedback Steven! Even tho I'm not really surprised, alas.

Soaring Dragon looks like a Movie Base from Huss. Then it's up to the park to find another supplier for the screen and movie.
    It's funny that you talk about image distorition and correction because I found multiple recent chinese patents about that. Maybe they are perfecting their systems but are not quite there yet...

I'm bummed about Storm Chaser, because the medias and set-design was made by the renowed Falcon's Treehouse (video) who made DarKastle for instance. But yeah, poor execution will lead to deplorable experience anyway.

I also found this dark-ride to be interesting. Not because it's necesarily well made or what (you can see the squinching is off sometimes - although props for making it in the first place), but because it's freaking 10 minutes long. It's a Spiderman with the lenght of a POTC. This allows the ride and story to have some lighter and comedy moments (6:50) and not be action-packed from the beginning to the end.

Sometimes they have good design ideas too, when not ripped off from their original counterparts. This multi-screen scene is quite well-thought off:

You can see the (indeed wonky) result here.

Bottom line is, I'm really impressed by their boldness, even thought the final experiences might lack the attention to detail needed.
    • CommentAuthorStevenX
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2017

Wow, they've made the bits of Storm Chaser they show in that video look actually kind of presentable. The vehicle they show at 1:20 is the Storm Chaser one - it hardly moves at all and feels like an incredibly cheap knock-off of the Spiderman/Transformers/etc. version. It felt like a kids' car ride type vehicle which had some plywood sides stuck on for some reason, and whatever motion it did have was severely limited. You can kind of tell if you pause the video at that point that it's a pretty crappy vehicle.

All the scenery from 1:23 to 1:40 I don't think is actually Storm Chaser. Whatever scenery there is is just corrugated iron walls and really flat facades surrounding the screens - all of which are super flat and washed out. You can kind of tell from the layout at the end of the video that there's not even really much space for physical sets - and a lot of the time it was pretty much just blank walls between screens. One of the sets looks like a half-arsed version of the drawing shown at 1:47. The animation shown after that is from Storm Chaser. It looks OK-ish from the brief clips, but honestly for anything longer than a few seconds, it looks dreadful. The physics and perspective particularly are all over the place (see the swinging crate and the sea in general at 1:52). Of course, it looks even worse in-situ with the bad light leakage they have in that building. The whole thing really just makes a terrible impression. It's quite funny to see the faces of the few people who bother going on it when they come off, as most look super confused and massively unimpressed.

Something else kind of amazing(ly bad) about Storm Chaser - in some scenes, they have what appear to be desk fans suck to the walls in front/to the side of the vehicle a few feet away, in full view to simulate some kind of insanely weak wind.

Could be worse though; it could be this.

In slightly more accomplished dark ride news, I went to Efteling two weekends ago. It's an incredible park with some wonderful theming. I'd say it's probably my favourite park in Europe after Europa Park. Some of the theming flourishes are pretty great, and really world class. Baron 1898 in particular is really great with the pre-show and on-ride show and pretty much a perfect attraction for the park. I wasn't such a fan of Symbolica though; although it's themed really well, it really has no story at all and I didn't go back for a second ride-through to try out another ride path. It seems popular for now, but it doesn't seem like a great use of the money or space they used to build it.
    • CommentAuthorPopFilms
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2017

The Circle-Vision theater is like the Universe of Energy finale with circle-vision screens, something that Disney kinda did in 1982 when the Energy finale had mirrors that reflected the animations on the walls.
    • CommentAuthorPopFilms
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2017

Top Thrill Dragster is down for the rest of the year

https://twitter.com/RideThisOne/status/912308093068886016
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26

^I don't think those are supposed to look like that. Wonder if it happened during operation or morning testing?

• CommentAuthorTheBeatles

From what I've read so far (nothing official), people seem to be saying it happened with a fully loaded train, but no reported injuries.

Again take that with a grain of salt
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2017 edited

Alas, the Dragons have been slain...

Such awful disrespect and disregard for everything this coaster was.

Video of the destruction, proving that neither of the Dragons are being saved.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2017

Why would they go the extra effort to carefully disassemble when it's going to be scrapped anyways just to be respectful?

Logical or not, it hurts.

But dammmmmmn that pic makes the spine on the loop look thiqqq. Check out the blue loop in this pic. The way the pic is cut off makes the spine look gigantic (I know it's because of the support connector, still weird)
    • CommentAuthorteejaysyke

So disappointed that I never got to ride them. JK Rowling can choke for allegedly hating the rides, also besides Hulk, I literally have no desire to visit this park anymore because I literally could not hate Harry Potter anymore (it's severely overrated and now these amazing rides being removed to put more mediocre crap in their place)
    ^ I really don't think the lack of Dragon Challenge ruins the reputation of the entire resort. It was one tiny part of a bloody good park, not to mention it had the least theming of any major ride there. All coasters have to go at some point.
    • CommentAuthorPopFilms

I think, and this was also the reason why I was so upset when Disney closed Energy and the Movie Ride, is because they were perfectly good high capacity attractions and other attractions in those parks were much less popular and loved. Especially in the case of Dragons, with Sinbad and Possidons Fury being right next door.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26

Disappointed to see the destruction on Dragons. I don't really feel like "disrespect" plays a part of it, but, it's sad, and a damn shame that they're not being saved or sold. As far as I'm concerned, there has never been a better dueling coaster. Plus, the wraparound immelman on Fire is IMO one of the best elements B&M has ever done. Sigh. I'm just bummed to lose the rides.

•  
      CommentAuthorMillennium

I rode them 6 years ago them they were dueling and it was absolutely AMAZING but I didn't think about the rides enough at the time to remember how good they were, which is weird considering I remember almost all the other rides. Now that they ended their life not dueling and I barely remember the forces, I feel like I can't actually rank them fairly, but maybe some POVs will refresh my memory.
    ^ Uh, they weren't dueling 6 years ago. I went 6 years ago.

And yeah, I do agree it's pretty sad to see a B&M (well, two) getting ripped down, but they only really work as a pair, and I doubt any other park wanted to invest in that since they're pretty old.

Edit: I must've just been unlucky. Apparently they officially stopped dueling in October, but they definitely weren't dueling when I went in summer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMillennium

I went in Spring 2011, which was a few months before they stopped dueling. You never forget an invert doing a zero g roll underneath your feet.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDanSm1l3r

I went 6 years ago and they were. So yeah...

Who would've guessed that the first B&M to ever come down would be fucking Dueling Dragons. Still very hard for me to wrap my head around
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

I went in 2011 as well but I happened to choose the week that both were down for maintenance (this was also the week they decided to stop dueling them)
    •  
      CommentAuthorhukk

While the park isn’t “ruined” by their removal, I do happen to like the parks original ride lineup from when IoA first opened, now it just feels like a bunch of screens. I’m purely shocked by the fact that they wouldn’t relocate them or just sell them off. A pipe dream of mine would be for another park to approach B&M and order an exact copy of dragons, similar to how they copied the old layout of Hulk. I can dream!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRCF

Even though I never got to ride dueling, which must have been awesome, I still got to ride both a year or two ago. Such a shame to see them go like this, and knowing Universal I can't see anything better going in there spot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

Well, count me in the club to those who were at IOA in 2011! And the dragons were dueling.

But seriously, the ride was no more but a shadow of its former self once it stopped the duels. I won't say I'm glad it's coming down (tho it's not a bad thing for the Potter area, ain't gonna lie, that wasn't really immersive beyond the queue line), but it was actually more "disrespectful" if you will to see it almost SBNO than demolished.

By the way if you missed it, that was Brian from IOE (then Consign) who programmed all the dueling stuff. Hats off to him. He made a great farewell post on Facebook.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

I swear if it wasn't for the idiots bringing loose change onride just to have it chucked at the opposing train (causing the dueling to stop) and the extremely mediocre HP rework of the attraction, this closure would've never happened. Since both of these things have happened DC has easily become the least populated attraction in the entire resort, leading to the inevitable closing.

It sucks, it really does, but since the dueling has stopped it just lost all of its magic.
    I rode when it was dueling in 2008, and maybe I'm in the minority but I didn't find the dueling to actually add as much as I expected to the experience. I loved the ride and rode it the most of any in Orlando the week I was there, but for the actual coasters themselves more than the dueling.
    • CommentAuthorarktic2
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2017

all i can say is from what ive heard in the pipeline is universal is facing bankrupcty in 5 years.
    • CommentAuthorPopFilms

There's this thing called Comcast... they have lots of money... they steal a lot from me every month.

That's where I assume they get all their money from.
    • CommentAuthorStevenX

^^^ I agree; I think the dragons were more than just the dueling, particularly Fire. Of course, after 2011, the experience did get less exciting and enjoyable and a part of what made them so special was definitely lost - but they were still both very, very good coasters on their own with some great moments. Fire in particular had some wonderful B&M snaps and forceful elements and was always one of my favourite coasters. It's a shame to lose them, although the writing had been on the wall for some time.
    Universal needs some real rides. I'm tired of all the screen rides.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2017 edited

Posted By: KingRCT3
    I also found this dark-ride to be interesting. Not because it's necesarily well made or what (you can see the squinching is off sometimes - although props for making it in the first place), but because it's freaking 10 minutes long. It's a Spiderman with the lenght of a POTC. This allows the ride and story to have some lighter and comedy moments (6:50) and not be action-packed from the beginning to the end.

Sometimes they have good design ideas too, when not ripped off from their original counterparts. This multi-screen scene is quite well-thought off:

You can see the (indeed wonky) result here.

Fantawild uploaded a pretty neat video of this one, The Legend of Nuwa.
    Now I keep in mind what you said StevenX, that it looks worse in real-life (and I easily can believe that to be true), but I don't know, from that video it looks interesting.

They also uploaded a video of their "Full dome Theater With Movable Sitting Platform" as they call it: Bridge to Love. The platform rises for about 10 meters, the seats lean backward, haha this is awesome. Now if only the media and theming would be awesome as well..
    • CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2017

There's some pretty impressive squinching stuff in there, almost to the point where it feels like they're just showing off. I would seriously hope they looked good irl too, there are some beat effects. I still really like that dragon hallway effect as wonky as it may be.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2017

An interesting documentary on Alpina Blitz (in french with english sub) featuring an interview with Rodolphe Gélis. He's really genuine and you can feel the family's passion for their park. It's a business but they want to do it good.
    There is also a part that shows the daily routine before the opening.

So depressing
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2017

It hurts.
    • CommentAuthorDelay

^^Not really, it's still just steel.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDanSm1l3r

If you're saying that I don't think you have any understanding of the significance those rides held to a lot of people. Myself included.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2017 edited

Energylandia has issued tenders for three new coasters :

A I-box wooden (almost granted to be an RMC...):

Awarding Entity requirements.

1. Technical data of the ride type: Mega Coaster, subtype: Wood Coaster:
    a. Construction - of wood.
    b. Track length - 1300 meters or more;
    c. Maximum construction height -60 meters;
    d. Maximum speed – not less than 110 -115 km/h/;
    e. Number of inversions (360 degree rotation...) – not less than 3;

aa. Guaranteed evolutions that should be used in the roller coaster :
    1. big drop;
    2. camelback;
    3. reversing camelback;
    4. bayern curves;
    5. wave turn;
    6. right-hand carousel;
    7. Zero-G S-Turns;
    8. bunny hop.

5. Rails
    I-Box type track for smooth running of the train without jerking. Prefabricated and factory-screwed mounted on steel slats.

A Water Coaster (not sure...?):

Technical data of the ride:
    a. Track length – not less than 1000 meters;
    b. Construction height – not less than 35 meters;
    c. Maximum speed – not less than 100 km/h;
    d. Use of at least two electromagnetic drives on the route where the second drive re-drives the train while riding;
    e. Number of inversions (360 degree rotation) – not less than 5;
    f. Dimensions of foundation base within approximate limits 150 x 90 meters (+/- 25 meters);

Guaranteed evolutions:
    i) Big drop;
    ii) Camelback;
    iii) Tunnels;
    iv) Water.

Train
    2 or 3 trains. For 2 trains the capacity of each of them will be no less than 24 persons.

And a Mine Train Coaster:

1. Technical data of the roller coaster:

a. Track length – not less than 1200 meters;
    b. Construction height – not less than 15.0 meters;
    c. Maximum speed – not less than 50 km/h/;
    d. Number of lifts – not less than 3;
    e. Dimensions of foundation base within approximate limits 110 x 85 meters (+/- 15 meters)

The park is also looking for a tilt coaster apparently:

Innovative Tilt Rollercoaster based on gravitational mechanism - a new era of entertainment

Source

-

It's funny because tenders actually look like NL2 contests.
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

I swear to god if they go with a minetrain over an RMC I will flip shit
    • CommentAuthorDelay

Posted By: DanSm1l3rI don't think you have any understanding of the significance those rides held to a lot of people.

You're absolutely right. But it might also have to do with me looking at it objectively. For me,a coaster it's just a bunch of steel, polyurethane and wires (and maybe some other materials I don't know the name of) "strategically" bent and placed. Add some code to it for automation and that's it.

And if me saying that is a catastrophe: Where are all the people crying about a rusty old building being demolished like their loved ones died? Would they still cry if it was pulled for the new mall?