Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2017

Oh god I think it's fine to be upset a ride is closing, but it's so ridiculously cringy to see every post regarding DC on the same level as someone literally dying. Delay is right, it's a piece of metal, and while this piece of metal was fun, it's certainly not something to be so depressed over... Especially when you consider that the new ride will probably be really good and a much better fit for the HP land.

For dear life, please stop treating DC closing like it's such a personal dramatic event, it actually hurts to read.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBasilisk

^
    but my baby ;-; ;-;

jk, we all know they died long ago when duelling stopped
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

Don't you dare diss the humanoid coaster fandom like that
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

EXACTLY element, the ride stopped being good the second it lost its key feature, from there you had two fairly generic inverts, and nothing incredible at that. Once it stopped dueling it only became a ticking bomb until they got rid of it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2017 edited

Posted By: ParadoxI swear to god if they go with a minetrain over an RMC I will flip shit

From what I understand, they plan to go with all of them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

Thank god
    • CommentAuthorStevenX
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2017 edited

^^^ I'd argue Fire was actually quite unique for an invert (which was why it was the better of the two), with its camelback hill and the wraparound second inversion although I agree Ice was always pretty generic. It kind of seemed to me like Ice was designed first, then Fire designed around it, which made for some slightly odd elements and quicker transitions in Fire. You could kind of see this with Ice getting the signature cobra roll, and some of the snappier turns on Fire seeming to align with Ice rather than the other way round, and also in the seemingly throwaway roll at the end of Fire which seemed to be there to make what was otherwise a pretty dull route back around the station a bit more interesting. Fire always had quite a lot of character, I think. Of course, the Dragons lost a lot of their appeal once they stopped dueling, but Fire remained a pretty great ride even without it. I think a lot of people feel that way about one or both of the Dragons. For me, Fire was always one of my favourites, even after the dueling stopped.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

Posted By: KingRCT3It's funny because tenders actually look like NL2 contests.

I mean, they really do! Look at that, they got criterias and points:

• CommentAuthorStevenX

Those evaluation criteria look slightly unusual for an invitation to tender. If that's all the judging criteria are, then it suggests whoever would tender for the cheapest, fastest-built ride with a long guarantee would win the job, as long as they met the other requirements, no matter the quality of the submission (i.e. how good the layout/design is)!
    Am I reading that wrong, or are they looking for a water coaster with five inversions.
    ^somethings telling me we might get a normal coaster with splash scoops
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2017

StevenX, this is only a snipet of the document, otherwise it's 18 pages long with 6 annexes. Somewhere else they listed criterias for the layout:

aa. Guaranteed evolutions that should be used in the roller coaster :
    1. big drop;
    2. camelback;
    3. reversing camelback;
    4. bayern curves;
    5. wave turn;
    6. right-hand carousel;
    7. Zero-G S-Turns;
    8. bunny hop.

So yeah they don't give that much constraints, but it seems they kinda know where they want to go with this.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo

If I was the owner of a park in the direct area I would be furious as hell. These rides are going to be build with EU money. Why on earth would a park over there deserve that money? Might as well give it to Europa Park, Efteling or Swaben Park for all I care. I'm very happy with new rides in Europe, but paid by the EU? Of which the Netherlands is the biggest contributer per capita? No, thank you.
    Because poland is trying to increase its tourism income
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

Posted By: ZingoWhy on earth would a park over there deserve that money?

Why EP, Efteling or Schwaben deserve that money more than Energylandia?
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeOct 5th 2017 edited

^
    They don't deserve it either.
    • CommentAuthorDelay

So you're saying that a park that doesn't deserve money should give said money to other parks that also don't deserve the money? That's pointless.
    But it's the decision of the park. It's their money, they can do whatever they want with it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo

^

No I am saying that no park should receive money from the EU in the first place and if money is given I see no reason why other parks should not also receive the money.

Once the park has the money I can't really blame them for using it, would have done the exact same thing in their place :P
    Posted By: MrcrollyOh god I think it's fine to be upset a ride is closing, but it's so ridiculously cringy to see every post regarding DC on the same level as someone literally dying. Delay is right, it's a piece of metal, and while this piece of metal was fun, it's certainly not something to be so depressed over... Especially when you consider that the new ride will probably be really good and a much better fit for the HP land.

For dear life, please stop treating DC closing like it's such a personal dramatic event, it actually hurts to read.

I can't imagine anyone actually being depressed over it closing, it's just a simple case of using a hyperbole
    • CommentAuthorPopFilms

de·pressed
    dəˈprest
    adjective
    adjective: depressed
    (of a person) in a state of general unhappiness or despondency
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

So looks like Gwazi is becoming the world's first RMC Aquatrax.

•  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26

Hey this post is about Dueling Dragons.

As far as I'm concerned, it's pretty pathetically selfish to try and shame people for being sad that a ride's coming down. That's cringey as hell as far as I'm concerned.

Why would anyone roll their eyes and cringe about it - because it doesn't affect you the same way it affects other people? How awfully mature and empathetic of you. I could describe nearly every inanimate object as a jumble of [thing] and [other thing]. Your favorite stuffed animal from when you were 4? Jumble of cotton and fabric. Your childhood house? Jumble of wood and bricks. Do I personally give a damn about some random house or stuffed animal? Sure don't. But I'm not going to roll my eyes and go, "oh my godddd get over it," if you lose that thing and I see you taking a hot second to be sad about it.

And look, I'm not like, losing any sleep over Dragons or anything, but yeah, I think it sucks that they're coming down. I'd point at Dragons and the Hulk (but particularly Dragons) as being pretty major rides in my personal coaster nerd history. You know, the sorts of things that contributed pretty significantly to why I like rollercoasters at all. Why I got into NoLimits, why I'm now a professional engineer, why I'm posting on this forum after probably 15 odd years of really being "into" coasters.

One of my first introductions to what it was like to design a ride was a DVD that, among other things, featured POVs and behind the scenes clips of the Dragons. I was blown away by everything that went into them - the elements, the layouts, how smooth and graceful they were, all the tech and thought that went into them hitting their dueling marks as precisely as possible - all of it. I watched that damn DVD on repeat for months. Hell, if I had any idea where it was, I'd rewatch it in a heartbeat. I'd just never seen rides like Dragons. I mean, Kennywood, my home park, was still firmly on the woodies-and-Ron-Toomer-products kick, so a ride like Dragons was basically witchcraft. I'd also never seen the curtain lifted and the design process shown and talked about in detail like it was on those DVDs, and it was fascinating as hell. One of the first family vacations I have strong memories of, and for sure the first time any part of a vacation involved a planned stop at an amusement park to satisfy my coaster nerdery, was a trip down to Orlando. When we went to IOA for the first time, I remember spending the day basically running back and forth between Hulk and Dragons, doing laps with my dad and my cousins, arguing about which was the best, and generally being pretty floored at the reality of what those rides were.

So yeah. I was a little sad when they stopped dueling and lost that part of their charm. And yeah, I'm a little sad to see the track in a twisted heap, discarded and destined for a scrap metal depot. And yeah, if me and others sharing their thoughts about Dragons coming down makes you roll your eyes and cringe, that's your problem, not ours.

Posted By: PopFilmsde·pressed
    dəˈprest
    adjective
    adjective: depressed
    (of a person) in a state of general unhappiness or despondency

hy·per·bo·le: noun

exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.
    • CommentAuthorDelay
    • CommentTimeOct 6th 2017

^I'd be careful with the word "depression" nonetheless.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDanSm1l3r

^^ Telling it like it is. Respect!
    • CommentAuthorDelay

^Telling it like it is?

Well then. How a constantly... "disappointed" person supposed to live something that even comes remotely close to a normal life? Because that's EXACTLY what depresion is. It's a mental disorder after all.
    I can't imagine what it is like with depression.
    But I can certainly tell you what it is like to have periodic suicidal thoughts.
    It is NOT pleasant.

But I get it: It's for the fun of it. Because depression and its effects are so funny! Let's laugh about those poor individuals that kill themselves because of some random inexplicable mental suffering! Hahaha!

Sorry for this little rant, but depression is not a fun topic, neither are mental disorders in general.
    • CommentAuthorPopFilms

As someone who has depression, it is not appropriate AT ALL, in my opinion, to say you are "depressed" about a roller coaster coming down. I understand being a little sad, and I am since it was THE coaster that started my obsession, but that is really not something to be depressed about.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

@BBspeed I wasn't saying people can't be generally upset, and I felt I should've worded my first post a bit better. My argument was against those that take it to the next level to make it seem so personal that it's closing. There's two groups here, those that are upset with the closing, and those that are overly attached with the coaster itself. I'm not here to point anyone out, but go back and look and you can see the distinguishable difference. Another thing I should've mentioned but haven't is the sheer repetitive comments that you see with every update of the ride being taken down. We've known it was going down for months now, but that doesn't stop the same people from making basically the exact same posts on a day in and out basis. Like with every post you see regarding DC, it becomes followed directly by the same old "it's so depressing" and "It hurts to see" comments with absolutely nothing else to add to discussion. Now that doesn't speak for anyone, for those that had more to input than just themselves being upset then that point is completely void to them. And it's not just with DC, the exact same thing happened with TOT and the same circle jerk happened there too. Just tons of pages dedicated specifically to mourn a ride going down or changing. Now I'm not saying people are absolutely not allowed to express their feelings or anything, it's a forums afterall, but that's not going to stop me from speaking mine.

For a TL;DR, I'm not saying you can't be upset, even I am. But when it's the same excessive comments and overly attached fans blowing up the forums over it it quickly stops being reasonable and turns into a waste of space that could be summarized in a couple sentences but still happens to stretch over 2-3 pages.

In quick regards to the depression thing, I was using it as a hyperbole, not literal depression. I'm voiding myself out of any argument regarding the direct use of the word.

*Tired and in school, didn't proofread much so if I repeat anything I apologize.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

New patents for an upcoming Spiderman attraction?

I had a quite similar idea back in the day. But yeah, if they do that, man that'd be awesome! A actual thrlling dark-ride? Bring it on!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

Ok that is really damn cool, not sure how they'd theme it but it looks so freakin awesome.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26

Ok, that's awesome. And would be a huge win if they can actually capture a bit of 0-G feeling between swings.

• CommentAuthorTheBeatles
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2017 edited

S&S is building a new test track and it appears to be a full circuit soon. Have they done anything with this track in the past?

•  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2017

Looks like the old Arrow monorail-coaster track. Like Wacky Soap Box Racers or that racehorse ride @ Blackpool.
    •  
      CommentAuthornolimiters

The shaping looks like that maurer single rail coaster
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

It does look almost identical to the Arrow Steeplechase track. Are we going to see a Wacky Soap Box Racers clone replacing Xcelerator? My money's on yes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

Why would any manufacturer look at Sky Dragster and say "Yeah we'll make our own version of this"
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani
    • CommentTimeOct 26th 2017 edited

^ Because the concept might be considered quite cool, I personally really like the idea, maybe one might just think Maurer's execution isn't what they want. But if you ask me I also think these pictures look more like a traditional coaster.
    why.
    What brings ya to Utah?
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery
    • CommentTimeOct 27th 2017

Keep in mind still that it looks more like Arrow's steeplechase track more than it does the Maurer track, AND that S&S owns basically all of the remaining assets from Arrow. Coincidence? Maybe, just maybe...
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2017

Newer pictures took by thrillseeker4552 confirm a few things: there's a lift and the car is tiny:

Vehicle:

•  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery

Steeplechase remake confirmed
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

•  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2017 edited

oh ok
    • CommentAuthorlore_sully
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2017

So maybe it's the track for the Mario kart ride for universal studios? I remeber the drawing posted by Paradox, and if i'm not wrong it came out when also the news of the mario kart ride came out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2017 edited

I guess not then, looks like I was right.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcrider4
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2017

^^ most likely a DK themed coaster. Mario Kart is for a different ride with a different ride system.
    •  
      CommentAuthornolimiters
    • CommentTimeNov 1st 2017

Is Universal Orlando planning a new park with this?
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeNov 3rd 2017 edited

CoastersWorld is back with another interview (and more will come). This time it is Intamin Vice-President Sascha Czibulka.
    Interesting how they came to develop the hydraulic launch system!

Also, I see a very innovative product they came up with in the background:

Lately, Intamin took large inspiration from the Vekoma Family Suspeded, the S&S Free-Spin, the Premier Sky Rocket II and now the Mack Power Splash... I hope they can still have ideas on their own. :)