Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2017

^ One theory about that Pulsar-like is that maybe Walibi asked several manufacturers with the same idea. Mack won, but now a year later Intamin unveil their own take.

The next interview is Peter van Bilsen from Vekoma.
    Posted By: KingRCT3^ One theory about that Pulsar-like is that maybe Walibi asked several manufacturers with the same idea. Mack won, but now a year later Intamin unveil their own take..

hmm, wonder who's theory that was....

I think mack's design was chosen because of the better capacity, due to it utilising a turntable system allowing for two train operations. The intamin one still looks cool though, especially with the much quicker looking acceleration. the whole "park asking separate company's for design concepts" would probably explain the fact S&S now make family inverts and multilaunch coasters like gale force too
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2017

Yep, thanks for that Thomas! That makes a lot of sense indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2017 edited

Sorry for double post. Setpoint has put more information about their Over the top concept, including NoLimits renders of a single and a dueling layout. More picture in the link.

-

Now I also wonder... Setpoint works closely with Universal. They did their suspended thingy, but also the motion-bases for the tram screen sequences, Minion simulators, as well as the screen carrousel for Harry Potter and the dragon animatronic. Looking at this new contraption... won't you think they'll made the Donkey Kong one out of a custom version of that?
    I could see some really cool things being done with this. I think it's intimidating to look at just because it appears so unstable on a vertical track. It also could offer the most legitimate feeling of exposure/flight of any coaster type yet. If they are able to make thrilling layouts with this, rather than the more family-type layouts I'm seeing now, that could be amazing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2017 edited

Setpoint posted their 2017 show reel with some of the aforementioned systems in action. The text is a bit over-the-top to say the least, but that's pretty cool otherwise. That's a company I didn't know much about apart from the little suspended coasters, and it's really starting to get me interested.
    ^ They did the new control system for Lagoons Jet Star in 1997.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeNov 11th 2017 edited

And from the source code of the web-page, here is a (NoLimits) video of the Over-The-Top concept.
    I really like the concept in the end, althought I'm concerned about the heartline/cantilevered effect it might have on riders.

Find what won't work here:

-

Also, this is old news but I don't know if we talked about that yet - it will be an incredibly tight fit in the Skywarp from Skyline Attractions:

Why
    almost 100% sure that was just the prototype of the seats.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2017 edited

I hope so, but they stated it was the prototype car:

Posted By: Skyline AttractionsEvan and Jeff checking the prototype car for fit

Why making a prototype not in scale if it's especially for testing the fit?

Otherwise, they tested the seat and restraint in this contraption:

It looks just as close in the renderings. In hindsight, you have face-to-face rows in a normal lenght car.

That's so impractical, though. I wouldn't ride it more than once unless I was sure there'd be no one opposite me.
    Here's a bizarre bit of news for today: Gale Force is being disassembled...

https://gyazo.com/b742911fafc640943c6489dc08d44d5c
    https://gyazo.com/f29babeb5c3f37c0e1a2c353258ac32a

Apparently this is only for the winter.

https://gyazo.com/2470f7e728f6c0f88bba5cb4b99cd9c1

This pretty much sums up my thoughts
    • CommentAuthorDelay
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2017

So they're disassebling the coaster in winter to put it back together in spring or summer?
    Why?
    • CommentAuthorTheBeatles
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2017 edited

^He left out the crucial piece of information that it's being retracked. According to a local article,

Posted By: OCNJ DailyThe existing track is being removed and will be replaced by new steel at no cost to Playland, Hartley said. The cost is being absorbed by the roller coaster’s designer, S&S Sansei Technologies of North Logan, Utah, he noted.

More info can be found here: OCNJ Daily Article
    • CommentAuthorInkyz

This coaster really hasn't been great for them.
    •  
      CommentAuthornolimiters

SlideWheel build and Onride.
    Look how much fun they have. Seems really cool!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly
    • CommentTime7 days ago

That looks surprisingly fun.
    •  
      CommentAuthorProjektion
    • CommentTime7 days ago edited

New Skywarp model
    Jesus. That looks look a lot more interesting than just two dive loops / immelmanns. Not sure how fun that oddly shaped loop would be, though.
    I can imagine the skywarps being very loud lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox
    • CommentTime7 days ago edited

Here's another model

• CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTime7 days ago

The horizontal version doesn't look like it would be that fun, although I suppose it would be good for very small parks. The big red model, however... I hope parks start buying those instead of more Sky Rocket II's.
    • CommentAuthornSeven
    • CommentTime7 days ago

I really dig these updated models. I want a skywarp - how much is it? A few 20's?
    Anyone know how tall the big one would be?
    I can imagine these things being a real nightmare for upkeep. It has so many Bogeys & wheels!
    Skywarp Eclipse:

https://gyazo.com/b58ff31aac2c97509bff99b452b26462

Skywarp Horizon:

https://gyazo.com/245fa4f808c7184e0a236c33f6be2f84
    Wow, I'm in love with that Eclipse model. That loop is unnatural and cool. Plus the non-inverting loop. If the speeds are set right to give different sensations it could be a really unique experience.

I've never been one to care about flat rides, but this has me really interested.
    This is actually making me question where flat rides end and coasters begin.
    ^ Yeah, it's pretty much impossible to solidly categorize Skywarps as either a coaster or a flat. Bet there'll be plenty of comment section debates about that.

Looking forward to seeing these installed in parks.
    • CommentAuthorA113
    • CommentTime7 days ago

look up schwarzkopf katapult
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery
    • CommentTime7 days ago

I kinda put it in the same category as powered coasters. A little bit of both, and in my book still a credit. That's just my stance and I'm not gonna start a flame war over it, I can understand why people would think otherwise.
    • CommentAuthornSeven
    • CommentTime6 days ago

EVERYBODY!!!! FLAME WAR OLMISERY - HE HAS AN OPINION!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery
    • CommentTime6 days ago

WAIT NO
    Im siding with it being a credit here, the transport devices are on the track and the train is a conventional coaster chassis.
    credit
    Credit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBolt789
    • CommentTime6 days ago

Credit.
    Does it use the same system as the superloops?
    • CommentAuthorkryptos001
    • CommentTime6 days ago edited

What I consider a true roller coaster is something that runs on rails and uses momentum to go along it's track. According to Screamscape, there is a portion of track where the Skywarp is not in contact with the tire drives and does "coast," which is good enough for me to call it a coaster. And it makes sense to do it this way, as the longer contact with the tire drive suggests that the Eclipse will take less power to run than a Premier Sky Rocket II, even though both have basically the same elements.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKG9
    • CommentTime6 days ago

Posted By: ProjektionNew Skywarp model

I am much more interested in the man in the red polo behind the display...
    • CommentAuthorInkyz
    • CommentTime6 days ago edited

How do I put this...

...I know him and he has a girlfriend... sorry mate.
    ***uncomfortable***
    •  
      CommentAuthorDanSm1l3r
    • CommentTime6 days ago

I have a feeling that may not be how he meant it... to be honest I'm wondering what's going on with his hair...
    •  
      CommentAuthorcheetah
    • CommentTime6 days ago

DADDY

whats with the egg loop
    It's like an airtime hill but with hang time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTime6 days ago

You can't deny the Eclipse model looks like Mike Wazowski:

I really start to dig these rides. It's simple, elegent, and the cool thing is really those dueling trains. The elements are also interesting in themselves. They said they took the most interesting ones from coasters and made a ride out of it. Althought they don't call these coasters. Sorry folks.

That loop will most likely provides and extended period of zero-g, which is neat. They can do that thanks to the powered nature of the thing, otherwise the bottom would most likely be too intense I guess.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKG9
    • CommentTime5 days ago

The beauty of my humor is that it was meant to be a statement about his looks because he looks attractive from the back, but it went really well in the other direction too since I could care less about flat rides of this nature. So, your responses made for a good laugh this AM when I woke up!
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTime4 days ago edited

Another interview from CoastersWorld, this time of Maximilian Roeser from Mack Rides.

Also, they had a written exchange with Benjamin Bloemendaal, the designer a Vekoma (Orkanen, Formula 1, Lech Coaster...) Here's a link (in french), I let you Google Translate that - they wanted it to be exclusive to CoastersWorld, so please do not copy but provide a link instead.

-

Also big news, we got an official statement:

Skywarps ARE credits.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTime4 days ago

Sorry for double-post, but here's the best flat-ride concept from the IAAPA, hands down:

Original video

I kid, I kid, but that's actually pretty cool. Nice visual (that's a wiggly worm! get it?) and original sensations. CoasterForce says there's quite a pop of air on it.