Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorCoaster-Lab
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2014 edited

Howdy,

Ever since I rode the Ring Racer at Nürburgring, I got obsessed with the powerful launch system. I've experienced a lot of launch coasters such as Formula Rossa, Kingda Ka, TTD and a lot more from different companies but nothing gets close to a compressed air launch by S&S. Therefore my #1 "must do" coaster is Dodonpa. Have any of you guys ridden Dodonpa yet?

As a tribute to Hypersonic XLC and my love for these insanely powerful launches, I decided to make this recreation :)

I'm planning on making the first version of Hypersonic with the original trains etc.

photo 7_zps787d4d0e.jpg

photo 8_zpsff342f8e.jpg

photo 5_zps349086c1.jpg

photo 3_zps17d3e140.jpg
    I remember this ride very well so if you wanted someone to test it would be interested. Looks really fantastic! I suggest you do the later version of the trains with the bucket seats I had a soft spot for those.
    Make sure the last brake run is ridiculously loud.
    ^^ Kyle, Thanks! I also like the newer seats but the old train had the long zero-car like dodonpa :) I have a soft spot for those haha.

^@gigacoasterfan, It so funny that you mention that because I was planning on implementing custom sound samples for those ridiculously loud brakes. I already have the correct sound sample from a youtube video. I'll also make custom sounds for the Thrust air launch.
    Starting on the zero car hood now..

Keeping the train simple.

photo 11_zps586fba74.jpg
    • CommentAuthorKyle Sloane
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2014 edited

Looks AMAZING
    Looks like a great recreation of one of the worst rides I've ever ridden.
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2014

^Was it really that bad?
    The launch I heard was awesome, 0-80 mph in less than 2 seconds sounds amazing. The rest I heard is horrible because of the jerky track and terrible idea of using tires on a roller coaster. Basically just beat you to death.

My brother rode it but was I was pretty young so I didn't. I regret missing out on that insane launch, he said he really loved it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

Powder Keg's launch was pretty intense so I can sort of imagine how this and Dodonpa's must feel like.
    I didn't find the launch particularly intense even (Volcano felt more powerful to me) and the rest was horrible. The restraints pinned you down uncomfortably and it shuffled worse than most wood coasters.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

I thought Hypersonic had those big roll cage looking things over the seats. Or are those on the second train version? The model looks amazing though, so detailed.
    • CommentAuthorA113

Looks really sick so far, man. I hope you keep up with the level of detail.
    Amazing!
    ^^^^then you just aren't remembering correctly because the launch was the single most intense moment of acceleration on any ride when it opened.

The track was not poorly designed it was just the wheel bogeys were problematic with the tire wheels.. That's what caused the shuffling mostly.. The first tophat was pretty smooth though, and with crazy airtime.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDC High Heat
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2014 edited

Have you seen an onride Kyle? lol the track wasn't done particularly well either, of course it wasn't Arrow but at the same time it was no B&M or Intamin.

Also it's possible the average acceleration was higher, but maybe the force was more constant than Volcano or the onset of forces wasn't quite as fast. I don't know, I'd only done Volcano once all the way back in 1998 (only my second launched coaster) and I didn't get a chance to ride Hypersonic. Maybe Hypersonic's happened so fast that it was hard to realize what just happened. I'm just saying it's plausible that the launch with the lower average force could be perceived as being more powerful.
    ^^ I have to agree with Kyle, nothing comes close to hypersonic's launch except Dodonpa and Ring Racer.

I even made a list of powerful launch coaster to compare the launch forces.

NOTE: This chart only works when we assume the launches are perfectly constant (linear).

photo launchlist_zpsb14f5e53.jpg
    Meanwhile, I continued on the XLC train. Going to texture it now.

photo 16_zps7ff48912.jpg

photo 17_zpsecefacd6.jpg

See how the bogies aren't identical!

photo 15_zps76178d24.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

Awesome work Camiel! ;)

But wait - Blue Fire's launch is more powerful than Furius Baco's? o_0' I know these datas don't take in account the jerk at the beginning, but still...
    ^ Yeah it's hard to measure. and if you compare it like that it doesn't make any sense at all haha! Furious Baco obviously has a more powerful launch. Intamin launch coasters pull very strong at the beginning. For instance Rita and Desert Race are at top speed in the middle of the launch track.
    •  
      CommentAuthorChukensky

Yeah, Rita's launch feels like it packs more punch when compared to Stealth's
    • CommentAuthorbigjoe97

Did you take into account that most of Intamin's launches appear longer from offride than they actually are, due to the extra track length needed to decelerate the catch car?
    ^Yes, same goes for Vekoma first generation launches. Rock'n'roller coaster and Xpress have the emergency brake run right after the launch which is almost as long as the launch part. I heard that, In case of a mislaunch, it decelerates with -1,8G.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

I was wondering how the S&S launches behaved in case of a rollback. Hypersonic XLC does have a friction brake zone prior to the launch, but Dodonpa or any of the newest ones don't...
    • CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2014 edited

Perhaps the trims on the vertical part of the top hat will brake the train to a crawl and it'll gently hit the brakes where it connects to the catch car?
    ^ Yea I think that's right. There's a rollback video of it on youtube and it appears that it slows down on the vertical part.
    • CommentAuthorDanKruga
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2014

I would love to see that if you could find it!
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2014 edited

^ROLLBACK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaChVaruwYI

Sadly, it was recorded with a potato.
    That recording is one of the worst I've ever seen!
    Yea, that video makes 144p look cool..
    Cool Video

Really one of the coolest coasters ever built.. Shows off the fact that the track WAS actually heartlined and well fabricated, you can tell that the trains just run very loosly and bouncily on the track.
    Love that video! It does indeed look like the train is loosely attached to the track and it bounces all over the place :P I also love the (almost) perfect shaping of the track!
    I got to ride it one. I was 8, lol. Shame it was taken down. Really was awesome to see cutting against the KD skyline.
    XLC update!

•  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2014

*drool*
    I'm not digging those alien-looking bushes, though. I find them too bright and too cartoony.

Ya those bushes don't look the best. Everything else is amazing though.

^Totally agree! I was looking for different bushes! These will be removed!
    wow, the 3ds trackwork looks amazing
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2014 edited

And work on Hypersonic continues!

And one big-ass poster shot:

•  
      CommentAuthorParadox

What is the purpose of the red tubes in the top hat supports?
    Looks really awesome except for a couple things...haven't looked at pictures, but from memory the profile of your turnaround doesn't look right. Also a lot of your scenery is still too bright/cartoony, and some things repeat too much. Spend some time on texturing and your realism will shoot through the roof.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

^ Agreed. Also, resize your pics before a mod yells at you, lol. By the way, a little tip for all Imgur users: add ".jpg" (or whatever your extension is) in the url for a direct link to the picture.

Posted By: ParadoxWhat is the purpose of the red tubes in the top hat supports?

I believe those are the pressure tanks, just like those on Space Shots.

Yea what you're saying about the scenery makes a lot of sense! It still does look a little cartoony. About the track though.. let me assure you that it is 100% accurate to the real hypersonic. I used 2D blueprints and everything to make sure it's perfect.

Edit: The turnaround does have a minor flaw being that it's not as underbanked as the real one.
    What size should the pics be? these were 1600x900
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26

Max width is 1000 pixels. Instead of reuploading you can just add width="1000" in the HTML tags for your image. People will still be able to see it full-size if they click on the link. I demonstrated on your poster screenshot if you want to edit that to see, and then copy that formatting going forwards. Thanks.

Still not confident in that turnaround. I can't find a great picture but to me it looks off. I think the real one gets to the top point of the turn quicker maybe then is more flat, whereas it looks like more of your turn is curved vertically, meaning that radius (in profile) may be larger too. Would you show an overlay? I've seen rides done off blueprints before and I know for a fact the general layout was right, but smaller details were off. Some things are just very hard to see, like for example where exactly an inflection point lies or how long a lead in/out is...for that kind of thing you really have to pay attention to videos and/or your own experience on the ride.
    Yeah the turn on the actual ride reaches a certain height and kind of sits there through the turn without changing elevation.
    •  
      CommentAuthornolimiters
    • CommentTimeNov 6th 2014

Looks great! I only not like the colors of the scenery, it looks very much like sketchup..
    But everything track related looks very good, but seriously good. So great job on that!

Check this site for some great textures ;) CGtextures
    Thanks! Yea I don't have a lot of experience with sketchup! Thanks for advice though! I'll definitely look into that texture website!