Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2014 edited

I'm headed back to the drawing board with a blank slate and new ideas for an Intamin giga coaster. I started off my first venture into NL2 and hand building tracks Power Surge v1 which quickly fell apart. Now with some new ideas and more practice, I'm venturing into something completely re imagined.

Feedback and constructive criticism is appreciated throughout my learning process and I hope to be able to finally craft a coaster worthy of the exchange.

I'm going to kick things off with the lift hill and drop. I think it looks pretty close to what I'm going for but, please don't hesitate to point out problem spots.

Power Surge II Drop
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2014

I think the drop looks more like a B&M hyper than an Intamin hyper. Those have usually larger crests and hold the constant radius longer. I'm not too sure about the pre-lift drop either.
    However, if you like the coaster the way it is keep it! Especially if this is what you were going for.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc

I arrived at that shaping using an overlay of Intimidator 305. As far as the pre lift, I wanted to go with something different than a cable lift straight out of the station. Any suggestions?

bandicam 2014-12-01 12-16-41-597
    You should find a photo that is not at an angle like that it skews the perspective.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc

^ That's proving to be a very difficult thing to do. That is the best one I can find so far.
    •  
      CommentAuthordapalm

I think it looks fine. The extended lift spine fools your view, but Intamin drops are not so different than B&M ones. What I don't like is the prelift section. You don't want to get catch by the cable car while moving. Add a brakes section before the lift if you want to keep the prelift.
    • CommentAuthorbigjoe97

El Toro seems to have no problems with catching onto a cable lift while moving...
    True story, when Toro was being built I debated with a gentleman who now works at a coaster company that the ride could feasibly attach to a cable lift without stopping. He was incessant in saying it was impossible because the lift wasn't directly out of the station. He later deleted that account (though I think that forum thread can still be found), and after I met him in person I found out the connection. Seems I won that battle as it turned out I was correct in all my arguments, but as a coaster designer he won the war...

Hope you enjoyed my story for the day. Carry on...
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2014

Well I was planning on just utilizing a standard chain lift given that the coaster isn't a giga. The lift isn't insanely fast either, only around 12mph.
    • CommentAuthorbigjoe97

It's not just gigas that have cable lifts - all the megalites, along with Expedition GeForce and Goliath at Walibi (all under 200 ft) also use cable lifts.
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2014 edited

Skyrush has one too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc

Ride of Steel (Darien) and Bizzaro (SFNE) use chains and top out at 208ft. However, considering the fact that megalites use cable lifts now, I'll probably work one in for realism's sake.
    •  
      CommentAuthordapalm

True, didn't think about El Toro. But anyway, it enters the lift at very low speed. So I would make the entry either stopped or moving very slowly.
    jpaufsc, the Superman rides don't have steep lifts and they ascend relatively slowly. Certainly nowhere near 12mph at 45* like you have. I'd go with a cable lift for that reason, not just because Intamin has done it more often recently.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2014

A small update of sorts. I reworked the lift to be a cable lift out of the station, closely modeled after I305. I've been tweaking the crest constantly to get it where I want, but here is the current iteration. Hopefully I'll be happy enough with it to move on.

•  
      CommentAuthorParadox
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2014

That shaping looks almost spot on. The crest looks just about right too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2015

After a moderate hiatus away from my desktop, I've finally made progress on the ride. After all the tweaking is said and done, the coaster is topped out at around 315 feet. Therefore, it is now an Intamin giga instead of a hyper. Since Intamin's megalites and gigas start with a 270° turn after the drop, I wanted to be different and new. Instead, I've taken some inspiration form Fury 325 and implemented a 90° stall into a right hand dive and into an airtime hill. I'm hoping to make Power Surge into a cross between Intimidator 305 and Millennium Force with some airtime as well as high speed elements.

•  
      CommentAuthordapalm

I like it. Fury's turnaround have always screamed Intamin to me. Are you going to use the double spine seen in I305?
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc

Thanks. I want to use the double spine track but, I have no idea how to even approach the idea since I have no 3D modelling experience. That being said, if anyone wants to help on that, I'm all ears.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2015

After playing around with things and fixing some issues, The layout has changed again. The only problem is I'm kind of stuck as to where the layout is going. I originally wanted I305 style turns and transitions with airtime mixed in, but for some reason, I can't get happy with the flat turns now. The picture shows where I am now, but I'll have to do some sketching and brainstorming before I can settle on what will come next.

•  
      CommentAuthorlamewad
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2015

I think you have a great concept going so far. Maybe the first half is all airtime and then a MCBR with a bunch of low level high speed turns in the second half with just a couple bunny hops thrown in..
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2015

^ I'm afraid that if I implement an MCBR, I'll lose too much speed and the latter half of the ride would be difficult to perfect. For now, I think I'll be ok without it. I've worked on the layout more over the past week and I decided to test out the video exporter and get a WIP POV. I'm pretty happy with everything except the pullout on the last flat turn. POV here
    •  
      CommentAuthorlamewad
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2015

I think this is a pretty good start. After that last airtime hill, it can easily transition to a low riding coaster along the terrain. I like the layout so far.
    •  
      CommentAuthor6FlagsManiac
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2015 edited

I don't really like the name Power Surge, i think if you shortened to just "Surge" it would be much better.

Some of the rolling transitions seem a bit drawn out even for an older Intamin, and i'm not too sure the shaping on the first turnaround element is quite right; try making the radius smaller at the top.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2015

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. I have been thinking that the name should be shorter an catchier. I also want to make up some 3d scenery for the ride down the road and I'm having a tough time coming up with ideas for the current name. Perhaps I'll change it soon to something I can run with. I also have been continuously working on the roll transitions as well. I'm definitely planning to tighten them up and give them the snappiness like I305. While I'm at it, I'll also tweak the stall turnaround a bit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2015

I finally got some time to sit down and work on this coaster. Over the past month, I've been rethinking the theme and name of the ride. However, I'm having trouble choosing a name. Since it is a giga, I want a name that will convey it's size, but not something to generic or cliche like Goliath or Titan. If there are any suggestions out there, I'd be happy to hear them. As far as the ride itself, I made a second POV to show progress. It may seem like a backtrack from the last POV, but I keep changing my mind on what I want the coaster to become. Any critiques are welcomed as well.

Video here

WIP GIGA POV 0.2
    •  
      CommentAuthorminuseven
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2015 edited

Jesus, how many -Gs does that thing pull there? Looks intense and awesome as all hell.

Also, that electric green makes me think of the name "Power Surge".
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc
    • CommentTimeApr 5th 2015

The new hill pulls about -0.6G. I'm hoping to transition into I305 inspired intensity.
    Theme should be something like a titan or giant. Like mythical mixed with a bit of robitics. maybe something like sentinel.