Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthornSeven
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2015

It's 2 textures and they are UV mapped! Lol - I think it's just exceeded the number of acceptable polygons per density. NL2 can handle high poly if it's spread out - but since a tree is so dense, it doesn't like it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2015

The tree indeed looks realy great! Unfortunatly trees do add a lot of lagg, especialy when you have lots of them. But then again, without your trees many rides would not look as good as they do.
    @nseven - at least the Douglas fir didn't show up with a 100 different branches on each plain, lol! (Inside joke's aside). It looks freaking beautiful! It will be a very missed tree if it doesn't make it into the bunch.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2015

Did anyone notice how awesome those trees are? So many thanks for letting me try these out.

Posted By: ZingoDid anyone notice how awesome those trees are? So many thanks for letting me try these out.

Posted By: ZingoDid anyone notice how awesome those trees are?

Posted By: ZingoDid anyone notice

ARE YOU KIDDING MEE :o EVERYONE notice that those trees are INSANE xD
    • CommentAuthornSeven
    • CommentTimeNov 13th 2015

Wow Johan...this is incredible!!
    • CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeNov 14th 2015

Wait there are trees in that pic oh wow I didn't see any,
    Those trees are amazing!
    • CommentAuthorole
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2015

I made some changes to the plant waving effect in the latest update 2.2.1.x. The trees stored as DAE files should now wave in the correct direction. The trees from the foliage pack could not make full use of the plant waving effect because of a transformation issue related to how the engine worked in earlier versions. But that means that most files from the foliage pack now require updates to make better use of the improved effect.
    • CommentAuthorMaverick78

Sorry for my dumb question but is there a fix for lags? Because I think the flowers make the lags and that's very annoyning...
    Thanks
    ^ Idk but are you placing many of them? Because it is normal... when you place many ;)
    • CommentAuthorole
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2015 edited

^^ Yes there are fixes for lags. Typically the clipping and LOD options found in the NL2SCO editor will be very usefull to speed things up. The foliage objects do not make use of it, yet. I am sure that clipping will be very usefull especially for smaller plants like flowers. This should speed up framerates a lot. Those are nSeven's objects, I can tell him how to do apply those techniques if he is interested.
    • CommentAuthornSeven

Yes, I am very interested in making these sets more versatile!

Thank you for adjusting the plant deformation effect - I'll have to go back and adjust the origin point of my early trees.

Even with alpha test, is there an upper limit on how many transparent textures can intersect one another in a single model? I find that on larger trees, this really slows the simulator down tremendously.
    • CommentAuthorole
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2015 edited

^ There are no limits ;-) Which tree is slow? I need to check out the object, maybe I will see something that causes an unexpected slow down.

For small plants like flowers I suggest to add some clipping which will make the engine to skip drawing the object at a certain distance. There are two possible ways, either clip the whole object or clip only specific sub objects. To add a clipping setting:

Inside the NL2SCO editor...
    1. click on LOD...
    2. Click on Add Clipping...

For clipping the whole object:
    3.a. Select All Meshes/Layers
    4.a. Enter Clipping Distance (E.g. 40m or 50m should be reasonable for flowers)
    5.a. Click OK

For clipping individual sub objects:
    3.b. Deselect All Meshes/Layers
    4.b. Click on (...) Button
    5.b. All detected sub objects will be displayed by their names. Select one item from the list.
    6.b Enter Clipping Distance
    7.b Click OK
    8.b Repeat for other sub objects when required.

Do not forget to save file and then reload scenery object.

Adding individual clip settings for sub objects make only sense when the object has multiple sub objects and you want to clip them at different distances. E.g. when you want to clip the leafs at a different distance than the stem.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDC High Heat
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2015 edited

Just throwing this out there since nobody else seems to have reported this (meaning it's likely I've done something wrong/missed something) but the download in the first post seems to only include maybe half of what I'd expect based on what's written in that post. I only saw one tree downloadable elsewhere when skimming through this thread. I can let you know which trees are included when I get home if necessary. Thoughts?
    • CommentAuthornSeven
    • CommentTimeDec 1st 2015

I think my dropbox files have gotten messed up.

Next update will be all-inclusive of the working trees and shrubs in my library.
    Great, thanks for that and thanks for making everything and sharing. A lot of work I'm sure.
    • CommentAuthornSeven
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2015 edited

Dustin

+

Mike

=

•  
      CommentAuthorBolt789
    • CommentTimeDec 22nd 2015

....how even
    ^^^ o my God!
    • CommentAuthorlujach92

Without that NL2 grass-texture showing through at some places I couldn't believe this is NL2. Amazing work!
    • CommentAuthornSeven

So what exactly is going on here? Well...we're merging. We're taking the efforts of two creators and mashing them into one. Everyone's pretty familiar with Dustin's incredible texture and env experimentation (not to mention incredible trackwork) and you're all pretty familiar with my pokey sets - but there's been one problem that I just haven't had the time to work out. Optimizations. It's the hurdle that is hindering a lot of your projects (if you're using a lot of trees) and has kept me from doing any sort of official release schedule. Most of my trees are experiments and the better ones make it out here, but it can't be denied that my models, while polygon friendly, are not properly optimized.

So Dustin is taking that on for me - we have a vision to change the landscape of NL2 completely and hopefully make it so that we can get these models officially into NL2 (no way could they be in their current state). We're going to clean up every model that's currently in the set and introduce new ones as necessary - new grasses, shrubs, trees and weeds (yes, weeds!) and you've already seen Dustin's incredible work on the White Birch - he's not only creating a series of LODS that disintegrate naturally, he's refining the textures and creating ambient maps, and overall cleaning up my mess. Here's a performance test with a great-many of these trees, which at their highest lod are around 2K faces:

There has to be more than 100 plants in this wide shot and his simulator is still running at 60fps - the power of optimization!

Here's a look at the new English Elm - rebuilt from the ground up (doesn't have Dustin's special sauce on it yet)

And a look at some of the grass models we're cooking up.

This is going to change the look of the simulator - with each model getting an ambient map, you will no longer want super dark shadows because you'll end up losing the subtleties seen here:

This is pure shade - plenty of detail left in the shadows.

So there you have it - we'll keep you updated as updates become available!
    • CommentAuthorBrawly

Oh my god..
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo

Ow my god, it looks so pretty....now I have to redo the whole foliage on the Flying Dutchman again :O. You guys have any idea on the ETA?
    • CommentAuthormuchwoo

Amazing quality and great optimization!
    2K max for the most "heavy" tree is really good compared to the old trees (I tried to import your old pine in 3ds and It show me 8K).
    Can't wait to try these new trees in my park.
    Daaaaaaaamn.
    Where is the ambulance.... I think I am going to kill me :o THAT IS TOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BEAUTIFUL
    • CommentAuthorHarmL98

HOLY CRAP AMAZING!!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

LAG
    Any chance that you'd be willing to include the base geometry (a 3DS object, an OBJ object, etc) within the downloads of the trees? I typically work the other way (modeling a NoLimits track spline in my 3D program of choice instead of putting 3D objects in a NoLimits scene) and it would be really useful.
    • CommentAuthorA113

Stunning work here, you two.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26

This is just crazy good-looking. Excited to watch this progress.
    • CommentAuthornSeven
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2015

Thanks guys! Lostinheadguy - the model files are typically found within the scenery folders - if however these end up being in an updated NL2 library, you won't be able to access them easily.

Today we stress-tested this model:

I added 200 more birches to the scene of a hundred or so original trees - didn't stutter or drop from 100. This doesn't guarantee they'll run perfect on your system (too many variables to consider) but they're not showing any kind of performance hit on mine.
    Thats pretty fantastic, are you using a very high end PC?
    • CommentAuthornSeven

i7 @ 4gHz
    nVidia GeForce GTX 970
    16 GB of DDR3 RAM

It's kind of like consumer high-end but not GAMER high-end.

We re-redid the English Elm - lol yup...actually no...re-re-re-redid. Yeah that's better!
    •  
      CommentAuthorminuseven

>no gamer high end

You're at the high end. Don't worry about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo

Holy cow, thats a huge increase in performance. I noticed in soms parks that removing all the foliage (which is 90% yours) really makes the park run faster. Good to hear you guys are getting so much better performance all round!
    ^yep I also noticed that on flying Dutchman :) With the flowers some drops, flowers deleted smooth fps
    My heart stopped for a moment...
    •  
      CommentAuthorRCF

What is happening in this thread!? Oh my...
    Are we going to expect these to be released?
    • CommentAuthornSeven

^ No we're just gonna tease and hold them on for ourselves.......seriously?
    ^ That is a great idea :D xD
    Dear almighty foliage overlords,

I'm guessing these won't be released before Roundup 100? :3
    (Answer is probably obvious, but it's worth asking anyway because they'd be awesome to use)
    • CommentAuthorsprog

Bloody hell guys, these are amazing - Can't wait to get my hands on them, I'm going to have to sit on my only 'almost finished' project now until they're ready for release!
    I'd love to find out how you've updated the textures. Dustin mentioned playing around with shaders, what does that actually mean? Was it in game that you've done it, or via an external app like photoshop etc?
    Posted By: nSeven^ No we're just gonna tease and hold them on for ourselves.......seriously?

Jeez, Sorry for ever asking.
    Pretty sure that was sarcasm TriNat. :P
    • CommentAuthorKyle Sloane
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2015 edited

Some progress on the latest Elm Tree :
    :D
    poster-2015-12-23-19-53-38
    poster-2015-12-23-19-45-51
    poster-2015-12-23-19-45-01
    poster-2015-12-23-20-03-46