Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorMGrides
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2015 edited

Recommended not only for Sketchup User! ;)

I see lately a lot of projects which are having some issues with the scenery. I think it´s not only a problem of the sketchup user. In every modeler you can choose if you want to texture and paint one or both sides of a triangle/face/polygon.

As example:
    A simple triangle has a visible (white in sketchup) and an invisible (blue in sketchup) face. The white face should everytime be the outside of the model. The visible face which the user can see.

If you texture or paint BOTH sides of a face .. it also doubles the polycount of the triangle. It counts two not one, because both sides have to be drawn.

If you built a scenery with 100,000 faces which are visible from the outside of the model,.. there are another 100,000 polys which aren´t necessary and can never be seen in the scene.

For some things, like special roofs, double faces can be helpful to reduce the polycount. But what i saw were large scenery objects with both sides textured. That will probably end in lag on weaker machines.

To avoid this, make sure you have only one (the visible front) side of your model textured!

Especially sketchup has a bug if you group an object and texture it after grouping. Mostly, you can´t texture the blue and invisible faces again. You have to remove the material from the material editor and texture the faces again.

For ungrouped objects, there is a way to retexture all faces from the inside of the model back to the invisible faces.

On the right side you see, that you can choose also the default material. With that you can repaint the faces to the dafault settings.

If someone need help with this i can make also a short tutorial. It´s really important that you have only one side textured! Especially if you create large scenes with detailed objects.

I also saw a few objects which are having inside the objects some faces left which are never be visible to the user. You can delete ALL faces which aren´t seen from the outside of an object. Mostly, sketchup draws a face automatically if at least three lines are connected (triangle). If you imagine a cube which is divided in height on all sides ... there probably will be drawn some additional faces inside the cube, which you never will see from the outside.

I hope that will help a few (new&old) scenery - designer to make they´re objects even better and much, much faster -> inGame! :D

Take the few extra minutes for extra FPS and better performance. Thank you!
    • CommentAuthorMGrides
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2015 edited

Hey guys, sorry for repeating this important thread.

I lately downloaded a lot of projects. Nearly ALL of them having the "double faces" issue. I don´t want to make a list or name of the projects with creators names. It´s more important to solve this problem. There are projects which are VERY detailed, with a LOT of polys which have to be rendered. If you have both sides of a face painted (especially in sketchup) the polycount will be doubled! This ends in a bad framerate. Especially if the scenery is having detailed fences and high-poly models AND a lot of 3D trees.

I made a short video (it´s still a beta version) which explains it a bit:

Custom Scenery Tutorial #1 (for Sketchup User)
    ...more coming soon!

If you have some question, please feel free to ask! =)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBattin
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2015 edited

Well, i have simple trees in my Donkey Kongs Mountain project, but they need to be double sided, because you can see underneath them. On my rocks however, they are one sided. At least the bottom of them and some on the back.

I'm having some lag at some point of the track, but that's mostly because of the amount of scenery around that piece of track.
    Any ideas on how to reduse that without deleting some scenery?

Other then that small question I asked, just wanted to add this to your story. Perhaps it's usefull
    • CommentAuthorMGrides
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2015

Yup! Sometimes it´s useful to make some parts of the scenery with double sided faces! As you described very well!

But that´s are the rare scopes. Most situations in the projects i ment are "normal" scenery-parts where double sided faces are not necessary.

I also plan to make the next tutorial about clipping and LOD´s .. i think that could be helpful in your situation :D

Thank you for the input!!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBattin
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2015

^ Why / how could that be helpful for my project? *feeling a little dumb* :D
    If you create LOD's for objects and clip objects that are even further away you lower the GPU load.
    Thus usually getting a higher FPS.
    There's a great tutorial here:
    http://forum.nolimits-exchange.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=3270&page=1#Item_15
    Only sadly the pictures aren't working anymore, but it can still be quite helpfull.
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2015

MG rides, are you a female? Your voice sounds like a woman's voice. But the women voice has a slight odd machine sound to it.
    ^It's a text to speech voice...
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2015

That's what I figured.
    • CommentAuthorMGrides
    • CommentTimeJan 2nd 2016

Again... there are still a lot of (new) scenery out there which still are having the "double sided faces" problem.