Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2016

Why would there be a loop on an RMC? I guess it's sort of a cool idea, but Alan himself said we'd never see one.
    •  
      CommentAuthorintim305
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2016 edited

to those of you who guessed it was a loop, congratulations! you win nothing!
    https://gyazo.com/ea67de0e5f458a975c6cf82222b51223

but anyways, more progress has been made on supports, since this is going to be my RU150 entry if i can finish the thing in time

https://gyazo.com/134494b224d6b737ed062224025574b0

as you can see, supports through the double up are done (besides some cross bracing that I'll do last since it requires more of the structure than the rest it)

https://gyazo.com/f2cf5ea5d1de625cb2ee14ed541c215f

wave turn done too and much more recently, catwalks!

https://gyazo.com/861eca6f750fec8ea0df7ecf648a2a2a

might change the steeper parts to stairs if I have time (which I don't think I will)

https://gyazo.com/e0c436061e0e43f294d611b818069945

And to finish it off just an overview of everything that's done so far

https://gyazo.com/c15cf7c63aaf7a60d77ef9951f4bb511

now before you say anything about the plausibility of the loop, I know Alan said it would never happen, but it looks cool so imma make it happen anyways. as you can see here, the main issue with SOB's loop (the transition from wood to steel that caused the accident) has been made more gradual here to make the transition smoother and hopefully cause less bend in the track to eliminate the breaking point

https://gyazo.com/60cb7adb8f90a4446f9c109d774b0a3c

EDIT:

POV for pacing (env by Womp):

• CommentAuthorMr. E
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2016 edited

@ Element I would like my cookies now please :P

It looks awesome and the wood to steel transition looks feasible. It will be interesting to ride a loop on a woodie.
    It looks incredible, Calvin. Your attention to detail with the supporting is insane, and your trackwork looks ridiculously smooth.
    Excellent work man. Interesting and unique layout with a central idea executed well. I'm excited to see this fully fleshed out.
    Absolutely gorgeous, can't wait until it's done.
    lmao still didn't fix that ugly pre drop

jk, looks really good. Supports are top notch
    • CommentAuthorMr. E
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2016 edited

A lot of the beams at the top of the lift hill look a little thin IMO, but other than that, it looks and feels like a solid layout and ride.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2016

Posted By: intim305I know Alan said it would never happen

I think he said that because the standard RMC trains don't have headrests, and those are mandatory in order to perform a loop. Now if you look at Lightning Rod, they are fully capable of integrating headrests onto their trains, so I don't see why not.

Keep up the good work!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

^ Doesn't he naturally hate them with a burning passion? I thought I remembered him calling them boring during an interview. Couldn't be sure though.
    • CommentAuthorWomp83

Looking good Intim. That environment works really well with your ride. Props to the guy who made it, he must be awesome, lol. :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorintim305
    • CommentTimeNov 24th 2016 edited

thanks for all the kind words!
    https://gyazo.com/30b4b97f7da6fcd26579e51377c85c77

Posted By: Mr. EA lot of the beams at the top of the lift hill look a little thin IMO, but other than that, it looks and feels like a solid layout and ride.

now that you mention it they do look a little thin, but it's a bit late to change that, and they're not so thin it ruins the look totally so I think I'll just keep it for now. Might change it after the RU is over.

https://gyazo.com/fd83a85a6876b699eb99e7dffe2a573d
    Progress is happening rapidly, the goal is to be done with supports by Wednesday, and then start to work on finishing up the scenery.
    •  
      CommentAuthorintim305
    • CommentTimeDec 2nd 2016

SUPPORTS ARE DONE!!!
    https://gyazo.com/0b38c3f278c8c397e8f5b49d2d4337a0
    finally...

https://gyazo.com/1333a681091754aff562e78f5c5f289b
    https://gyazo.com/10e25436ae7dc37cf6ffe7312947fcd9
    https://gyazo.com/28b22f554df9e0588481df8f49e4b7df

foliage is obviously off to a good start, the only problems are gonna be the station (that hasn't been started), possibly the transfer table and the tower there, the rest is just quick models or even supports.

Updated POV with finished supports but no scenery:

•  
      CommentAuthorParadox

Where's the June fire?
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan

Back it up NOW!!!
    ^what he said, we don't want another Wendigo fiasco - this is beautiful.
    Okay, I wasn't initially a fan of the loop, but I really, really like the way you pulled it off. This is one of the most accurate RMC's I've seen made in NoLimits 2. Fantastic job! I hope you finish this in time!
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

Was that inspired by Firewatch? I watched a 2-hours long gameplay video yesterday, and that looks awfully similar. But that's a great thing!

The coaster is really realistic, too, great job!
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery

Yeah the surroundings are definitely inspired by Firewatch.
    •  
      CommentAuthorintim305
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2016

^ ^^so is the name ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly
    • CommentTimeDec 3rd 2016

Looks great so far. I'm not 100% fond with the second half of the layout since it almost seems to fall bland (airtime hills back to back)* but it's certainly not something I'd mark off the whole coaster for. It feels very RMC-y (even with the loop) and I like the atmosphere you put around it.

*Like I said already, my only complaint lies within the second half when it becomes riddled with airtime. Surely in real life that makes a coaster better, and not worse, but when it comes to NL2, I almost make it a goal to find variety of some sort. All in all, you have a great coaster so far.
    •  
      CommentAuthorintim305
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2016

progress is happening super fast over here, it looks like the whole ride should be done by late this week!
    https://gyazo.com/2e3ed726c33b6da4b482697960bd47f1
    The "Camp Santos Fire Tower" was finished off yesterday, and more scenery continues to progress
    https://gyazo.com/51ee0111f776c7897e8512414965d4ec
    The station has been started and should be done soon if all works out
    https://gyazo.com/0bbed94d49f60ae86665dcbfe9898027
    Props to TheElevenMaster for photoshopping in a wildfire into the skybox
    https://gyazo.com/8ddfb6e873968edcab1e1716ad2ff0c2
    and a simple but effective transfer table has been put into place, meaning that 100% of the track is supported now
    https://gyazo.com/4b0248646487163e6d23fd209f312316
    Stay tuned for more updates!
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan

Can you have a glowing wildfire in the distance at night in a second nightime custom skybox by TheCodeMaster?
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo

Wanted to react earlier, but this ride is awesome! I love the first part of the ride, the whole followup of elements (the hills through the lift!) are great! I love the supports and the theme. And that poster is just...wow.

Only nitpicking is the ending, I'm not a big fan of the dubbele airtime hill and the roll. I'd rather have seen two straight hills, but thats just personal preference.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

^^I actually dig the idea of having a glowing flame in the background, like something you'd only be able to see from the top of the lift maybe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

Nice job Hank
    •  
      CommentAuthorOlmisery

All these Firewatch references are killing me
    •  
      CommentAuthorintim305
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2016

Extremely disappointed that it didn't make the roundup, but it's done.
    I'd be extremely interested to know exactly why it didn't. be harsh
    click the picture to see the final video.

unoptimized download coming Christmas day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorzampano

I personally loved it and thought it could might have as well made the roundup!
    Only thing I could think of is that maybe you could have added another more outstanding element after the crossing of the lift structure and before the roll, as its pretty much a variation of small hills and another 90° turn (which is generally not bad at all though!). Maybe a helix or a proper wave turn or something would have made it a little more memorable though..
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

Yeah I'm kinda in the middle on this one. I'm a bit surprised to see that it didn't make in the roundup, but I would personally say because it's fairly simple editing wise, nothing really special or interesting that we already haven't seen. However the coaster was still really nice along with the scenery around it. Either way atleast you made the honorable mentions, nice entry overall.
    •  
      CommentAuthorintim305
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2016

Firefall is now available for download on NLE, Coastercrazy and the Steam Workshop.

Don't expect great performance, there is little to no real optimization, that version will come out after the update.
    Ooooooo this ride is gonna look fantastic with the lighting update!
    •  
      CommentAuthorintim305
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2016

^from screenshots I've seen from someone who does have the update... yes.
    SSS better be ready cause I'm going in full force
    I'm a big fan of this video, especially when put in contrast with many of the others from the roundup. Everyone (myself included) was going for big, complex shots or a somewhat dramatic editing style; you could expect that for r150 because you want to give it your all. Your video was different because it was done in a much more relaxed and intimate style, the music was peaceful, the shots were relatively still, and the colors were gorgeous. This made a spectacularly beautiful video imo that stood apart from the rest for its simplicity. I couldn't speak for the judges as to why it didn't make the roundup, but I thought it was a fantisctic ride and accompanying video.
    •  
      CommentAuthorintim305
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2017

Alright it's finally time for what you've been waiting for.

Optimized Firefall download goes live on NLE, CC and the workshop THIS SUNDAY!

Now if you've already downloaded the unoptimized version and can run it just fine, why should you download the optimized version?
    Well even thought the framerate boost isn't massive (I get around a 15 fps boost in the most impacted areas), I've added a few extra features, including some ambient background music which truly completes the experience I was going for with this whole project.

I really have to tip my hat to the dev's, just when I thought this ride couldn't get any more beautiful, the update drops and now it's easily twice as gorgeous. You might want to reopen this in the update if you haven't already and just take a walk up to the firetower, because every single frame is more beautiful than before. Enjoy!

https://gyazo.com/2ca3801c174dfc4abdfacdbff5b61a11
    •  
      CommentAuthorintim305
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2017

The optimized version of Firefall is now available on CC and the Steam Workshop. (I've tried NLE twice now and it just gives me an error :/ )

I have added quite a few little extra details so even if you downloaded the unoptimized version this one is still worth the download, especially for the ambient music.

https://gyazo.com/68f8de959061f7e13e1d8a7eec04fcaf
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

I think this ride is one of my favorites when it comes to before and after the lighting update. Looks so goddamn realistic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26

Also, really captures the Firewatch spirit nicely. I also super love the barrel roll at the end of the ride. It just flows so perfectly.

If I had to find a critique... I dunno, the material properties of the rails are a bit too shiny/reflective?

Killer work though, definitely one of my favorite recent projects.

The custom supports are amazing on this, gotta step up my wooden support skills now.

Great coaster by the way!
    •  
      CommentAuthordapalm

I absolutely loved the ride! As for why it didn't enter on the RoundUp... Well, I think the simple, realistic style your video had doesn't go well with these special rounds. Looks like judges are after more effect based videos. Also, there is a lot of competition, so you shouldn't feel bad about the coaster not entering the top ten. I think you still made a great job! Only thing I disliked about the video was the music choice... It was too calmed and gentle. You have an awsome, big coaster, try to enhance it with more fitting music. Anyway a fantastic project!
    • CommentAuthornSeven
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2017

I don't necessarily agree with that idea dapalm - from a critical perspective, while Firefall was quite beautiful, the video takes a long time to get going and the payoff isn't enough to overcome the slow pace and energy. That said, the payoff is exactly what it should have been with that music and I think the whole video falls into step more than halfway in. It's not a bad video at all, it's not a bad project at all - but with a winning list of 10 really tidy videos, this doesn't get going fast enough. The risk of starting slow doesn't pay off and an entire first minute could have been truncated down to 15 seconds and be more effective for the project.

Pacing can really affect energy and the way the project is perceived. No doubt this ride is drop dead gorgeous and well constructed. But I think that a presentation style that gets going quicker could have been the thing that pushed this into the top 10 spot.

But that's just my own conjecture.

Also...an unfortunate amount of greenfield in the video probably didn't do any favors - that's one thing that is taken into consideration during an annual roundup contest - how well do you keep the illusion of your environment?
    •  
      CommentAuthorintim305

Thanks for the critical feedback, I've been waiting for the podcast since day one....

^In response to mike, I can agree to an extent that the slow start didn't work too well. It was very slow and didn't particularly fit in with the rest of the video, If I do something similar in the future it will definitely be much shorter. However I do have to disagree to an extent, since I feel like the atmosphere of the surrounding area sort of brings out the feel of the ride itself to an extent, and having the coaster-less shots at the beginning gives the viewer a chance to really take a step back and focus on the environment and not just the ride, so that when the ride does show up, there is sort of an added level of depth after taking a good look at the environment alone.
    As for the greenfield, I have to disagree again to an extent, the very background hills did sort of ruin the fall environment. Since I specifically worked hard to make sure this was a non issue after last year, I did make sure that none of the playable area had any greenfield at all (except the one shot just before the POV that had a trivial amount). Unfortunately there are no autumn background trees, and as far as I know, no one knows how to make them custom (besides the devs of course) so there isn't really anything that I can do about that.... as for the hills turning to white, that's also an ingame limitation with the fog variable in the environment that can't be disabled as far as I know either, I tried. If the 2d trees had been the same ones I used for the nearby area, the recording process would have been so slow that the video couldn't possibly have been finished in time. And finally, even if it's just because it's in the middle of nowhere in a forest, that's because it's supposed to be. It's based in a National Park, National Parks are in the middle of nowhere, especially in Montana of all places, that was the theme from the start more than a year ago on the first iterations of the ride. Firewatch just happened to follow the same theme.
    Sorry if I sound sort of annoyed, but I did spend 2 months custom supporting a wooden coaster 2 years in a row...

^^as for Dapalm, I suppose the style wasn't quite that of the rest of the special roundup videos, but I thought that was what would make it unique. All the special roundup videos are intense and in your face, which always works well for a coaster, but in this case I really wanted to just slow down and take a breather, let the experience of the ride be a little different than just the stereotypical intense and fast paced theme that all coasters seem to have. As for the simplistic video, I wanted to shift the focus of the video from the video itself and onto the ride and the environment (something I messed up bigtime on hero and didn't wish to repeat).

^^^ Thank you so much, your supporting skills have always been something I looked up to since you started posting here, so that really means a lot. I stioll don't understand how you do them so damn fast though....

^^^^ The rail textures were directly from Code's rail set, so that wasn't even my doing lol. You also seem to be the only big fan of the 2nd half of the ride... Thanks dude

Thank you again to all the kind words from here and on the video itself, I really do appreciate them!
    I too, have been waiting on the podcast since the results have been posted. Really hope the devs haven't given up on releasing it...

As for my opinions, I'll say this. Firefall actually inspired me to buy and play the game Firewatch in its entirety, because the environment and feel of this coaster really made me curious to see what the craze was all about. So, having seen the coaster before I played the game, I can safely say that you absolutely nailed the feeling of the game. A beautiful environment, albeit a relatively simple one, with a very National Park-ish feel to it and a gorgeous coaster to compliment the scene. I really enjoyed the layout of the coaster, and I can add a second voice to the second half (I actually liked the second half more than the first half).

As for the video, I immediately saw that you tried to steer clear of where you went with Hero, but I think the challenge was that you went TOO far to the other end of the spectrum. It's really a shame too, because this was one of the most unique NoLimits 2 videos I've ever seen. Not necessarily the best video, but easily one of the most unique. You said it best: roller coaster are kinda meant to be a little in-your-face, and your decision to tone things down a little bit was a bold one--and I applaud you for it! Honestly I hope to see more of this style of video in the future, by you and by other users. I can see however, why the devs wouldn't chose this to be in the top 10. I guess you could say it just doesn't *pop* enough. Not trying to be mean here, I just think that the goal you had in mind simply wasn't what the devs were looking for.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

I really like everything about that layout, maybe the second part even more that the first as well. It would be a dream come true to have a RMC with a pacing of a GCI, and that's what you made. The custom supports were flawless, this is mind-blowing how close to reality that coaster is.
    The surroundings were also very neat, I liked the access road (even if it banks like a coaster at some point!). The tower did not disappoint, too... ;p

The only thing laking is the two nude girls at the middle of the lake, like in the game. Shame shame shame.
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op
    • CommentTimeJan 24th 2017 edited

We will eventually get the podcast out and in it we explain our reasons for various placement on the list. I will acknowledge that meticulously hand built wooden supports do not show well in a video format that is looking to present your ride experience. You did a wonderful job building those supports. They look perfect, and your coaster build technique is again perfect. The competition was a balance where the coaster build quality was 1/3 of what we were looking at.

-Ride_Op
    ^100% agree with Ride_Op here. This was definitely one of the best and most accurate RMC coasters I've seen with NoLimits 2.

Also glad to hear that the podcast is still planning on being released :)
    • CommentAuthorarktic2
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2017

i do like the secert room in firefall ;)