Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBBSpeed26
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2016 edited

I would be interested to know if there's an example out there of a forum that uses an upvote AND downvote system successfully. Typical forums are necessarily chronological - reddit-type comment chains and sorting by popular comments don't really work when you're talking about a long-format discussion thread that lasts for days/weeks/years/etc., with updates from the OP and commenters happening constantly/throughout. Practically, "upvotes" can't really function as anything more than an equivalent of facebook likes. Coasterbuzz has a +1'ing system, where you can +1 comments that you like/agree with, but it doesn't really do anything other than show what people agree with. That could be a thing though, I guess...

As for "downvotes" - I'm having trouble seeing how it would be implemented in a way that would be helpful. Even a "x number downvotes = hidden comment" function would seem to:
    1) not be instant enough to prevent people from replying to the downvoted comment
    2) said replies would end up referencing a now-hidden comment in some form or another, and then...
    3) even a hidden comment would still require some amount of manual review from moderators to protect against downvote brigades, which, given the smaller user-base here, I think we'd be much more susceptible to than a big, largely anonymous site like reddit.

Basically what it seems to buy you is a minimal amount of community self-moderation, and I'm not sure you even get that in practice. Maybe the ability to +1/like/upvote comments combined with separate "report to staff" and "hide" comments would achieve the general end goals more effectively...

I'm certainly open to the idea and/or variations of it though. I'm admittedly not up to speed on the latest trends in long-form discussion forums, so maybe there's something out there that fits the bill and solves the concerns I've mentioned...

^ Yeah, it's hard to give the votes actual meaning, but I think just having the possibility to move complaints to a form of a downvote might be worth it. As for upvotes, I forgot to say this in the original update post but when I get done with the core functionality of what the forums will be like I want to look into some ways of making things a bit more fun, idk what so I'll have to do some talking / looking around, but maybe having a lot of upvoted comments could play into it, if they are added.
    And here I come with an different subject. How does it perform on a mobile device?
    • CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2016

Bit of a silly question, and i think i already know the answer, but i'll ask anyway.

Is there any way NLE's uploads can be transferred over to NLC when it opens, or will you be starting with a clean slate and we'll have to upload all our rides again?
    ^
    Clean slate, unless Matthew wants to give me access to the NLE database, then I could technically transfer all of the data over, but that would take a long time so even then idk.

^^
    The short answer is yes. In terms of actual performance, graphically speaking, it will be very smooth. There are a bit of transitions and stuff, but none of them will lag your phone. Obviously it will be mobile friendly and responsive so browsing the site on a phone will be very easy.

In terms of actual performance as in, how long will it take to load, etc, it should be very very fast. When the site is being beta tested (i.e. on an actual production server) I will do some optimizations such as caching, zipping, etc. That will make the site in general faster, so it will be very fast on both mobile and desktop.
    • CommentAuthorWomp83
    • CommentTimeNov 22nd 2016

^ I thought that much. Thanks anyway.
    What you've all done with NLC so far looks really good.

Posted By: RideWarriorNation unless Matthew wants to give me access to the NLE database..

Yeah, i can't see that happening anytime soon, lol.
    Update time!

Progress is coming along well. Lots of fine tuning and tweaks are happening now. I've never worked on something this long and seeing things come together is a very good feeling. There's still a few more things that need to be added in terms of core functionality, then another thing or two to reward users for content, stuff like that, but overall it's coming together very nicely.

The reason I'm making it as high quality as possible are two reasons in particular: 1, it's going to be the main thing on my resumé. And 2, a personal goal of mine I want to be with nlc, that is, essentially I want nlc to be a place where sharing ideas, parks, thoughts on nl2 is as simple as possible. Basically a site for NoLimits that doesn't get in the way just because it's a site. I've already let a few people from the community use it and they've said that everything is very simple and intuitive which is exactly what I want.

In terms of updates, I don't want to write out a post that shows everything that has been updated since the last update (which is what I'm doing right now anyway), which honestly, in terms of functionality isn't much since most of the functionality is already done, so I'll just show two videos of stuff I've worked on since the last update.

The first video is showcasing the removal of Gravatar as a dependency for nlc. The more I thought about it, Gravatar was really just an excuse for not wanting to make an avatar system for nlc itself. I also realized that it hinders user experience since the page must load first, then the gravatar images must be pulled in, so it's like, page loads content -> you see all of the content but the avatars (e.g. avatars in a thread on nlc), then the avatars load a second or so after that. So I decided it was best to just take the time to make one. Here are the results of that:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDWC-vD6how

The second video is showcasing a feature that a lot of people I talk to always mention, which is, having the header photo for nlc be the same as the facebook cover photo for nl2 for whoever won the Screenshot Saturday that week. Again, I set down time and worked on it and I think it came out very well. If the SSS contest ever does come to an end the default banner will be Heretic by Kyle Sloane btw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XFNdS5RkOs (it shows the moderation panel woah)

That's it for now, thanks for the patience and happy holidays.
    • CommentAuthorTheBeatles
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2016

So if SSS ends, the banner just stops changing forever, and lands on a ride from 2 years ago? That seems like an interesting choice.

Regardless, progress seems to be coming along very nicely, and hopefully we'll all have a bright and shiny new community very soon.
    ^ Thanks! It's the banner I've always used for nlc and I think it still looks nice even today. I guess if SSS ever does end it could be continued on nlc, I basically just wanted a way to make sure there was some default banner if need be lmao, which in any case would be Heretic, of course I'm open to suggestions on changes to it, etc.
    As I said on bjorn's stream, it looks fantastic. I'm very excited to get a modern website with a functioning exchange going, haha.
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op
    • CommentTimeDec 29th 2016

Sounds awesome, and I love the feature where the site banner updates with the SSS banner. SSS will only end when people stop making things.

-Ride_Op
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2017

Did the exchange just change and get updated today? The download button looks different now.
    Interesting that this was done especially that NLC coming very soon. Once NLC is online will the old NLE download site still require registration for downloads
    Posted By: Gorres CoastersInteresting that this was done especially that NLC coming very soon.

Mathew (the site owner) is more or less blissfully unaware of NLC and how far it's come. I doubt he's even reading these forums. He doesn't like us "advertising" the progress of NLC on his site, but we've been doing it anyway. It's really necessary given the circumstances and where we've been (or haven't been) in the past 5 years. The devs are ready to move on and so are we.

I'm glad he's updated the site, I really am. Unfortunately this will probably be the only attention he gives NLE for the rest of the year, as he has done in the past. That's why we (and by we I mean rwn) are working hard to create an entirely independent replacement. Regrettably, it's been the only viable option for the community.
    I think he just pushed the updates he had been working on for about a year up when he was told the exchange was literally broken. It's nice to see but as Justin said, NLE is just not fit for the NL community anymore.
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2017

I tried downloading the most recent track on the exchange and I got "not a valid track package" error. It was this track.

<a href="http://www.nolimits-exchange.com/coaster/test/10691">Link text</a>

All of his other tracks result with this error.

"The server returned a 404 Not Found."

"Something is broken. Please let us know what you were doing when this error occurred. We will fix it as soon as possible. Sorry for any inconvenience caused."
    •  
      CommentAuthornolimiters

Quite the wrong thread TOGO
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan

All the more need for the new NLC site as soon as it is ready.
    Lmao, I uploaded that as a test to see if NLE had any sort of progress indication.

NLC is still being worked on. I've finished the forum for the most part, as well as the park page and am working on the exchange index page. There's still some more stuff to do and I'm working on it a lot in my spare time. I still plan to launch it early / middle of this fall.
    hey just take your time bud. I know this sites barely hanging on, but I'd rather have an extremely better website finished properly rather than a glitchy unorganized site.