Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

So I've decided to make a thread for this. Colours are NOT final, but the layout is. The name is Isis (after the Egpytian God) and has three inversions.
    Here's the model for the entrance. Please note that some textures are not showing for whatever reason. I'll have them fixed soon.

More to come soon.
    •  
      CommentAuthordapalm
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2015

Hmmm hidden faces? If it's SketchUp of course. Take a look at the model and see if there are blue faces. If so you have to invert them. That should fix the texture problem. The model looks cool. Would like to see the coaster though.
    •  
      CommentAuthoriSatnav

Interesting name...
    Yeah even if it is the name of an Egyptian god(ess?) I don't think that's the best name to go with right now...
    @DC, iSat It should make sense will all the themeing. It's going to be like Oziris @ Parc Asterix (also a name of an Egyptian god)
    @Dapalm Sure! (Ignore the colours and the last loop, this is a fairly old photo!!)
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

Posted By: DC High HeatYeah even if it is the name of an Egyptian god(ess?) I don't think that's the best name to go with right now...

I thought the same thing. Even if it is themed to the goddess a lot of people will associate it with terrorism.
    •  
      CommentAuthordapalm

C'mon guys! It's a coaster themed to an egyptian goddess. Nobody should associate it with terrorism.
    ^ Oh Jesus, I didn't realise that! Oops...
    • CommentAuthornSeven

Maybe don't capitalize the SIS. LOL

Isis looks better!
    • CommentAuthorBrawly

We shouldn't have to fear the name of an Egyptian Goddess just because some group of cowards in the middle east already have the name. Keep the name.
    •  
      CommentAuthoriSatnav

If you can live up to OzIris then you are doing well! The layout looks pretty nice but it will be pretty interesting to see what the double loop rides like on a dive machine.
    Just to sort out any confusion, the second loop has been changed into an overbank, as suggested by Donidia.
    • CommentAuthorTheBeatles

What does the clearance on the loop look like?

Also, the exit from the loop looks immensely painful in that shot
    ^ The clearance on the loop is fine, narrowly misses it, but it's fine.
    Yeah, I'm working on the exit of the loop. It's proving slightly difficult though so bear with. ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorJAMMYD778

It's definitely an interesting layout and it's nice to see you breaking away from the norm with dive coaster layouts that normally just consist of Immelmans, similar to how the Gardaland dive has introduced some new layout designs. Good job so far. :-) And yes, as above, atm the exit of the loop does need work but am glad you're tweaking it.
    How do you guys like this?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDonidia

^ That looks so much nicer.

I preferred the old colours though.

What are the G's like on the out seats of the 0-g-roll?
    ^ The old colours were simply experimentation since I didn't know the theme it was going to have.
    Now I do those colours won't fit in with the Egyptian-tomb-pyramid-y theme. Sorry!

I've also just changed the zero-g to a 120 degree outside overbank, because the outside seats were reaching up to 5 horizontal G's!
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

I don't like the trim on the loop.
    •  
      CommentAuthor1blueshe
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2015

Perhaps replace the trims with a brake run. That would help capacity to.
    I am feeling incredibly bad atm, I keep posting slightly old photos. So here is the fully updated version + no trims!
    •  
      CommentAuthoriSatnav

I'd recommend making this a D6 coaster like Krake and the new Oblivion coaster at Gardaland. I recon the tight rolls and fairly sudden changes of banking would suit that style quite well. Other than that, the layout looks pretty nice!
    ^ Yeah, I am planning to do that. However I can't find Code's 6 seater trains so please bear with while I try and find them! Also, thank you ;)
    Sorry for the double post, but here is a full POV!
    Watch!
    not sure about the lead up to the last inversion, but hey!, the word innovation exists for a reason

other than that, i like the layout, and think this will look pretty damn good after this is finished
    •  
      CommentAuthoriSatnav

I'd say it is far too long for a dive machine, especially a D6 (if that is what you are going for). Some of the banking is a bit hit and miss and there are so many pumps that I can't name them. Oh, a trim of the first drop??? *facepalm*
    /rant
    •  
      CommentAuthorDonidia
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2015 edited

I like the layout I just think you need a little more focus on the track work,
    I would suggest few thing you just need to fix:

1. The shaping - especially on the drop, needs fixing. It stays vertical far too long.

2. I would change the air time hill before the last inversion to MCBR. for more capacity and I think it would work better.

3. The track work seems a little 'shakey' at parts. you need to move some of it just so that it runs better.

4. remove some of the trims, especially on the first drop.

if you alter some things, I think that it would make for a really strong layout.
    Looking forward to seeing what it turns into! keep up the good work!

if you want any help, I will be willing to help. just whisper to me and Ill share my skype.
    ^^^ Thanks!

^^ It's long because I want it to be long. Just because other D6's are considerably short doesn't mean they have to be. The pumps are yet to be fixed and the trim has only a deacceleration of about 0.2 G's to help it sustain safe forces. Would you rather die or go the tiniest bit slower? I'd like to know.

^ I'll take them into account! Thanks for the feedback.
    •  
      CommentAuthoriSatnav

Ok, fair enough. You win. ;)
    Any better?

•  
      CommentAuthornolimiters

Krake's drop has a longer 'lead out' from the part where the train will be released than yours, the 90 degree angle is pretty late as you can see:
    I think I've got it!
    Better for sure. I'd make your holding brake shaped more like half of a parabola, instead of a 1/4 circle.

Sorry for the terrible microsoft paint shaping, but it was the best i could do

As you can see, your drop reaches vertical fairly quickly and the top of your drop has a fairly constant radius. In a proper b&m drop, the vertical point is reached much later and the radius of the drop gets increased as it gets closer to vertical. Basically, the radius is tight at the top, but very large right before it hits vertical. b&m drops are tough to master (especially if you are not using newton or Fvd), and even I haven't quite mastered it after a lot of tries, but this is the best feedback I can give you. Good luck!

^^ Thanks! I've changed it slightly (below.)
    ^ Thanks for the tip! That was actually really helpful! And don't worry, my paint skills are even worse ;)

I noticed that the drops were very, very difficult to get perfect but I gave it my best shot how you guys suggested!

wow that is much better!

•  
      CommentAuthoriSatnav

Looking nice!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDonidia

Its looking better, I think think the vertical point needs to lower. The lead out should happen out 3/5's of the drop.
    I want to point out how well you're handling criticism, there are a lot of people around here that just ignore every thing/ get fed up with fixing things that they just give up, while in the meantime you just pump out updates and fixes.

The ride is looking great so far, keep it up!
    •  
      CommentAuthorUncleArly

Posted By: thecoasterman589

Sorry for the terrible microsoft paint shaping, but it was the best i could do

As you can see, your drop reaches vertical fairly quickly and the top of your drop has a fairly constant radius. In a proper b&m drop, the vertical point is reached much later and the radius of the drop gets increased as it gets closer to vertical. Basically, the radius is tight at the top, but very large right before it hits vertical. b&m drops are tough to master (especially if you are not using newton or Fvd), and even I haven't quite mastered it after a lot of tries, but this is the best feedback I can give you. Good luck!

That's actually inaccurate for a B&m Dive machine drop, it doesn't stay vertical for very long at all. Once it hits vertical it pulls out. So once you hit that vertical point, it'll pull straight out.

I can't find a perfectly straight on picture, but this should illustrate it:

As you can see, the red box indicates (roughly) where the drop hits 90 degrees and instantly pulls out.
    This has sure been one heck of a wild ride (no pun intended) for me, but here's the version based off Arly's photo above!
    I would actually have to disagree with you arly, when i look at that i quite clearly see a portion of track at 90 degrees (or at least 89) before the portion you have outlined.
    •  
      CommentAuthorUncleArly

Hence why I said roughly due to the fact it's not completely side on. But irregardless, the 90 degree section isn't very large at all and doesn't remain 90 degrees straight. It continues in radius.
    Pretty hard to replicate such a thing outside of fvd++ though, so if handbuilding i wouldn't worry about something like that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorChukensky

I like what you're doing with this dive coaster. Especially with the introduction of later models including elements that are hardly fitting.

Anyway, I recommend really nailing the shaping on this one, you've got a decent layout to work with. Oh, and with the transitions, try smoothing them out a little more :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorUncleArly

Posted By: 6FlagsManiacPretty hard to replicate such a thing outside of fvd++ though, so if handbuilding i wouldn't worry about something like that.

Not really. It's pretty easy. I've done it many times :)
    Not to ruin Bjorn's claim that it hits 90° for a little while but just look at one of the many FVD files I've given to you (Bjorn) providing dive machine drops, it's kinda obvious when watching the pitch that it only hits 90° for a fraction of a second and then pulls out.

The pitch decrease slows after a certain point as the speed increase would cause the vertical force to become less than the usual minimum of B&M. That said, you can get a pretty good idea on the shaping by looking at the forces at play. Although it's hard to find a decent side shot, a good rule of thumb on a B&M is to use the near minimum clearance needed on the tight pitch change near the top of the drop since the speed is controlled and forces in check. After that point when the train is released down the remainder of the drop the force will stay as close to the zero g mark while still maintaining shaping (there will be a lower negative force in the rear of the train so don't fret).

Depending on the size of the drop, the time it takes to reach max pitch will change as well. Some dive coasters do not reach 90° as you can see on RCDB but the height is the most contributing factor to this statistic.

Overall I like the ideas brought about in the layout but at a lower height and speed I don't know how well the elements can be executed without causing painful lateral g's in the outer seats AND still maintain proper shaping.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBolt789
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2015

Not sure if the support work in the last pic was final or not, but I would suggest taking another look at the drop supports, as they do not look B&M at all right now. The picture of Sheikra already posted should be an excellent reference.
    Hi.
    I'm looking for someone to collab with me on this new coaster, Isis.
    I need a LOT of 3ds/collada doing for this project, so if you want to help please be willing to give up some of your time to do this.
    You'll receive guidance from me and I will lend you the track to use. Please whisper me if you are interested.
    Thank you.
    •  
      CommentAuthor6FlagsManiac
    • CommentTimeFeb 2nd 2015 edited

Cody i didn't mean exactly 90 degrees, i meant angles very close to it like 87-90 that give the illusion that it is completely vertical