Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthoriSatnav
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2015

Your operations leave something to be desired but, beyond that... Sir, you are a wizard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2015 edited

Quite good for a demo!

As you have already mentioned the movements are currently still a bit away from a real TopSpin movment. But it just seems as if the center of weight is a bit to close to the rotaional axis and / or the mass to moment of inertia ratio is too small to match the correct gondola movment: I guess it just requires some parameter tweakings to improve the movment. The main arms are maybe rotating a bit too fast or at least - I'm pretty sure about that - accelerating too quickly.

Looking forward for the final result!

It just looks like the arms are moving to fast. Other than that it's fine to me but I'm not an expert.

^Fixed!
    ^ i'll work on that!

I have decided to release a demo you guys can try. Here are the Controls:

C : Forwards
    V : Backwards
    Click : Hold trigger

Download
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2015

It still seems like the main car is not swinging freely enough. The main car still seems like it has too much friction in the pivots. Or is it still the inertia? Can you make the main car swing more freely?
    That was so much fun to play with!
    Great job Code and amazing model coaster-inc!
    •  
      CommentAuthorggddffhh

I think the main car rotates too freely. And the physics don't account for friction so the car swings forever. Hopefully you will fix this as you do more to it but its very good
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan

I loved your demo!

clickable text

This real top spin seems to rotate very effortlessly and freely when the brake is not applied.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2015 edited

From playing the demo I think there is more wrong to the physics than just the center of weight and stuff, because the swinging freqency should not be as sensitive to the amplitude as it is in the demo, for small amplitudes the swinging frequency should not be affected by the amplitude at all in the first order approximation. I have also noticed that the gondola swinging is not affected by the arm's acceleration but this effect is used on the TopSpin to make the gondola spin which is almost impossible in the current implementation.

A TopSpin should be very good descriped by a driven double pendulum with correct moment of inertia and mass (and of course earth acceleration). In this Wikipedia Article all equations for a double pendulum are presented and derived using the lagragian mechanics approach. Maybe just start by using the equations from there and modify them to have the arm driven.
    • CommentAuthorole

Very cool demo, but I agree with bestdani that there is something wrong with the physics. The swinging frequency should not be affected by the amplitude. The frequency should be constant. I also noticed some kind of clamping or reflection of the angular velocity when the swinging is at its is highest point. Typically the pendulum equation results in a sine wave like movement, which has very smooth movements.
    @ Bestandi & Ole

I am still quite new to this type of programming, i'll try to improve it in the ways you suggested. Thanks for the advice!

5 and 1/2 hours of sketchup later...

I added a cool restraint animation, what do you think?
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2015

OCD killer/10
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2015 edited

I actually wouldn't mind that being integrated into the coaster restraint animation.
    If you want I can give you the pendulum engine I have from my giant Frisbee ride for some reference
    •  
      CommentAuthorPearman

I tested your engine by trying to recreate the movement of Talocan from Phantasialand. I noticed, that the gondola wasn't able to make any looping. It also seemed that the swinging was a bit too weak, but it swings very long.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani

Your model and the restraint animation are very good :D
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan

I will be glad to use this ride for my Takoma View Land when it is released as a final version.
    I decided to finally update the engine for the topspin, here's the download (BETA):

download

and a picture because why not.

Controls are as shown in the package.

Let me know if its any better than before!
    Do you think you can make it automatic without using controls? I would like to put it in a park of mine.
    ^That is currently being worked on for the final release.
    Accidentally made the package locked, fixed now.
    ^^Great! Thanks for replying so quickly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorlamewad
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2015

Wow. This is incredibly impressive. Thanks a lot Code!
    This is great! But then it's strange that it keeps swinging at the top.
    It would be cool if you can control it when sitting in the ride itself :)

I don't know if it's me but when I click nothing happens...
    •  
      CommentAuthorPearman
    • CommentTimeJun 25th 2015

This script is much better than the previous one. The gondola now swings faster, but loops are still very hard to make (but they are possible :D).
    And I discovered a little bug: When I stop the ride at the bottom and fix the gondola, so it shouldn't continue swinging, it slowly makes a loop forward or backward.
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan

Can you make it so you can ride it while you control it and if you ride it with the restraints up for the more "exciting way", you get flung out?
    so i finally opened this to have a little play around, and i am half amazed and half puzzled

i love how it controls so far, but there are a few things that bug me. for one, i would prefer if the gondola used altmouse to stop the arms from moving, rather than having main click to stop both the gondola and the arms. i would also like a "soft brake" button, as seen on this game where you control ripsaw

http://ridesims.com/simulations/ripsaw/

also, can you make the main arms have an unlock/lock option (i.e. when unlocked the arms will still spin without the motors active)
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

^ The click only stops the gondola, not the arms. Must be a bug on your side, then.

Amazing work, Code. I just wish for an adjustable speed for the arms now, is that possible?
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan

Can you add in some speakers playing Yeah I Luv Dem Strippers song by Nicki Managi?
    Posted By: KingRCT3^ The click only stops the gondola, not the arms. Must be a bug on your side, then.

press and hold mouse click. it stops the arms from rotating
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

Ha yeah I see. But if you only do a normal click, it locks the gondola brakes until you press it again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBattin
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2015

The Top Spin looks great, but i have the same problem. The gondola doesn't lock either.
    And I'm having a really hard time making the damn thing go round-and-round :)

But that's probably me lol
    I had the same problem. I got into settings and found out that the Mouse click trigger was off. Settings > Controls
    I hope it helps
    •  
      CommentAuthorHZGarfield
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2016 edited

Sorry for bump the thread up, but I got these messages after NL2 Updated, Is there something need to modified in the scripts? thanks
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op
    • CommentTimeMay 16th 2016

That looks like a warning message when proper optimized audio scripting rules aren't followed.

-Ride_Op
    ^It was made before the sounds were changed.
    can you make it rideable?
    Please stop bumping threads