Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2015

This may sound like a silly question. I've seen others do it, but how can I export a piece of terrain from google sketchup to NL2 for accurately recreating coasters? I've seen others do it but I haven't really figured it out myself. Thanks :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorDonidia

Your best shot is to use the Overlay function.

1. Start of by finding the terrain from google maps/image and save it too your computer as a picture file (JPEG, PNG, etc).

2. Then load up NL2 and go to file -> Preferences -> Overlay

3. You'll see a selection box, click that and find the image you save earlier.

4. Alter the location of the overlay with the other functions (e.g. Transparency, placement) - If you wish.

5. You'll have to alter the scale manually, try find the coaster style in NL2 and getting it to match perfectly with the track size on the image. (normally just use the lift/launch as indication)

6. Save that. Then go to Display(next to the G-Froce/Speed comb selection) -> Enable Overlay

This should enable the overlay.

Hope this helped.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

Thanks! I'll try this out ASAP and let you know the Results!
    • CommentAuthorsprog
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2015 edited

As a hint with scaling, I've found using google map's custom map tool helpful to measure the width of what you're taking a screenshot of (you can also do this in google earth)

You then crop that image to the end points of your measurement, apply that image to a large, flat tile in sketchup with the corresponding width in the texture settings to ensure it's 100% to scale, then just imported that object into NL2 and placed it at ground level. I found it much easier and quicker than trying to scale using NL's pixels/ft method. It's also much easier to move it's location around the map.

It's how I got an accurate scale layout for my RMC Stampida. I can do a walkthrough with images if that doesn't make sense.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

A walkthrough would be much obliged, that would be really helpful.
    • CommentAuthorsprog
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2015 edited

Ok, this looks long, but it's purely because I've included every single step to make it as easy to follow as possible. You can easily do it within 10-15 minutes, and I find it far more flexible then Nl2's overlay option.

It's split into 2 posts due the forum character limit. First, the google map bit, then the sketchup bit.

First up, fire up NL2 and create a new park that you're going to work with (if you've already got your park, skip this step)

Next, in google maps, go to the search bar in the top left, click it. You'll see a drop down menu, and at the bottom is "My Maps". Click that.

Click the "Create" button, and a new window/tab will open with a custom map.

Like so.

On "base map", pick the satellite view (Top middle one)

Now search for that park/area you need. In this case, we're going to use PortAventura.

There it is. Now zoom in so the ride/area of park you want fills most of your screen. We're going to use Stampida, so here it is.

Now, find the measure tool. It's the ruler icon at the end of the toolbar under the search bar.

Measure the width of the area you want to use. I just went to 200m as it's a nice round number, you can measure whatever distance you like.

Press "print screen" on your keyboard to grab a screen capture, then paste it into paint. Don't need no fancy photoshop to measure pixels with this method (Side note: I do have photoshop, I just used paint as everyone has it)

Crop the image down to the width of the lines, easiest way is to press "Ctrl+A" to grab the entire lot, and use the left key to shift it all left until the start of your measurement is at the left edge of the image. Then just drag the right edge in until it reaches the end of the measurement. Trim the top and bottom as you see fit. You'll end up with something like this.

Save that image wherever. Just remember where for later.
    • CommentAuthorsprog
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2015 edited

Load up sketchup, and choose your template. If your copy of NL is in imperial, pick the "Feet/Inches" one. If you're metric, pick the "Millimeters" one. I'm using Imperial, as that's what I run NL in. I'm pretty sure I could use mm, but I know if I use ft, it'll definitely 100% come into NL at the correct scale.
    Yes, I know google measured the map in meters, we'll get to that in a moment.

Make sure you're on the top view, it makes life easier for what we're doing.

Draw a BIG rectangle. Like this one.

In materials, go to "create new material". It's on the right.

Click "Browse for material image file", and locate your image.

Ask google what 200m is in ft. Cheers google.

Copy that

Paste it in to the "width" box, make sure you add an " ' " at the end so Sketchup knows it's feet (It'll assume inches otherwise for some reason)

Hit "ok" and you'll be left with a nice texture file.

Apply it to your rectangle.

WTF. Don't panic, everything is working as it should. Your rectangle is simply TOO SMALL. So zoom out. Lots.

Grab a single edge on your rectangle, so it's highlighted blue, then use the "move" tool to drag it outwards.

Here it comes...

Keep on zooming out and dragging, you'll get there eventually. Why's it so big? Because it's 100% to scale, that's why! :)

Export your newly created textured square thingy

Find the NL2 project folder you created earlier. It'll be in My Documents/com.nolimitscoaster.nolimits2. Open it.

Save your model in there as a .DAE file (you could use 3DS as well, I'm just using DAE because it's new and cool and yeah...).
    You could save it elsewhere, but dumping it in the folder stops NL2 kicking up a fuss later that it's not in the project folder.

Back in NL2, go to the scenery tab, go "choose" and click "park base". From the file type drop-down menu, make sure you have .dae selected. Grab your file, click ok.

Then click "Add Object", and add it to your park. Tada. You can now move it around and rotate it to exactly the right spot you want it in your park.

The only issue with this model is that the central axis is in the top left corner, this is from where we pull it out to make it larger in sketchup. You can easily fix this in Sketchup by moving the entire rectangle central to the axis before exporting, I just didn''t bother (As I#m lazy).

Just to prove it's to scale, here's the timberline track overlayed. No rescaling of object in NL2.

And here's my Stampida RMC over the original template I made for that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2015

I actually found a much better way to do this!

1. Go to Google Sketchup, then go to File > Geo-Location > Add Location.

2. Find the initial place (using the Searchbar).

3. Click 'Select Region' in the top right corner of the window. use the blue corners to mark your 'region'.

4. After you have your region settled, click 'Grab'. (It replaces the 'Select Region' Button).

5. After this, you should have a TO SCALE version of the selected region.

6. Go to File > Geo-Location > Show Terrain. You want to do this or else it won't export properly.

7. Now you have a good idea on how the terrain looks in the region, right click and select 'Explode'.

8. Export as a .3Ds or a .dae and send it off to NL2 for building!