Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorBrawly
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2015

Can't wait to see more, looks great so far!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDonidia
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2015

Would you be able to post a POV of what you have so far?
    •  
      CommentAuthorRK
    • CommentTimeMar 31st 2015 edited

^^ Thank you.

^ I don't want to make a new video at the moment but here is an old video i made for comparism purposes a few days ago.
    I'm sorry for the bad quality.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPearman
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2015

Looks very nice. Hope the scenery is going to be as nice as the track itself.
    •  
      CommentAuthordapalm
    • CommentTimeApr 2nd 2015

Looks really accurate, can't wait to see how it looks with scenery :)
    Scenery work has started.

•  
      CommentAuthorPearman
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2015

Nice. Seems to be very detailed.
    •  
      CommentAuthornolimiters
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2015

Now we are talking!
    Looks great!
    Heeey,
    Ich muss mich gleich mal entschuldigen! Ich habe vor lauter Reisestress ganz vergessen dir zu schreiben. Ich befinde mich nämlich gerade in Moab,Utah! Ich mache mit meiner freundin einen dreiwöchigen Roadtrip durch den mittleren Westen der Usa. Angefangen haben wir in L.A.. Haben schon 1800km hinter uns und immernoch 16Tage vor uns.

Die Brücke sieht super aus! Klasse Arbeit! Die Netze könnte ich übernehmen wenn du willst?

Den rest muss ich mir mal genauer durchlesen wenn ich wieder zuhause bin. Dann habe ich aich wieder mehr Zeit dir ausführlich zu Antworten.

Mfg und bis bald,
    Marcel
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2015

Here's what Google translate gave me:

I have to apologize same time! I travel out of sheer stress forgot to write you. I am in fact just in Moab, Utah! I'm with my girlfriend a three-week road trip through the Midwestern United States. We started in LA. Have you 1800km behind us and still 16Tage ahead.

The bridge looks great! Class work! The networks I could accept if you want?

The rest must I read to me a closer look when I am home again. Then I Aich more time you detailed answers to.

Mfg and see you soon,
    • CommentAuthorBrawly
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2015 edited

Viel spass!

Edit: He's away on a roadtrip with his girlfriend, still 16 days left. He'll respond to any responses in greater detail when he gets home
    •  
      CommentAuthorRK
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2015

Somebody forgot to whisper xD

Next update will take some time but we will definitely show you the progress someday in may!
    •  
      CommentAuthorCoasterdude
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2015 edited

Dammn! Sorry about that guys :D
    Greetings from Vegas which is a bit richer and made my wallet a little thinner!
    • CommentAuthorMrRC
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2015

Any updates ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorChukensky
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2015

Yh, that's not how it works around here
    •  
      CommentAuthorRK
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2015

^^ I promised that there will be an update this month in my last comment. So still seven days left :P

Seriously. The problem is that we want this to be as realistic as we can get. So this project takes a lot of our time. But as you may have seen Coasterdude was on his USA trip for three weeks. In my workaday life I'm going to university and I have a job too. And in the first half of this month I spend my time I had for NoLimits for the Coaster X Contest. So for my part I can dedicate the most time to this project when I have semester break.

We are glad that you are interested in this project but you really have to be patient until this one is finished.
    I promised an update next week so there will be an update next week. But you shouldn't expect too much.
    This is looking pretty good but I think some of the shots and therefore the comparisons (both mental and direct with photos) are being negatively affected an unnecessarily high FOV. For the next batch please change it--I think it will make a huge difference in how 'correct' the shaping and general geometry (especially from a distance) appear in the simulator. Right now I have the nagging feeling that there are few odd spots in the shaping (the drop for instance) but I cannot be certain because it could be entirely attributed to the FOV being out of whack. What I mean is, to get a decent shot of the drop, you must take the screenshot at some distance from the track itself and the visual distortion from the FOV can disguise good trackwork into looking like poor shaping.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRK
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2015

Finally here's the Update we promised.
    As you know we started working on the scenery. Here are a few pictures so you can get an idea in which direction we are going.

Please notice that especially that lifthill-building is heavy work in progress.

Besides the scenery the work on the track continued.
    Biggest change happened on the second wingover and the following turn. Those were the last really bad shaped parts of track, but they're fixed now.
    (klick on the pictures for larger resolution and on the interrogation mark for the reference pic)

And finally some overview shots with fixed FOV. Sorry mightbeawannabe for not answering earlier.

Again just klick for full resolution.
    Feedback is highly appreciated.
    Hopefully we will get more work done till the next time.

RK & Coasterdude
    • CommentAuthorBrawly

Holy shit those catwalks.. Cannot wait to ride this guys.

•  
      CommentAuthorParadox

I've always wondered why Phantasialand built the two buildings around parts of the lift.

Was it noise complaints?
    •  
      CommentAuthorPearman

The lift building and catwalks look so real. Also those bones inside the building are just AMAZING.
    Two Questions:
    How many Polys so far?
    Do you use UV-Mapping? The bridge looks like it uses UV-Mapping.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRK

^^ I think so. The problem is that the nearest residents actually live about less than 300 meters nearby.

^ Bridge: 10.000 Polys
    Catwalk + Building: 100.000 Polys

No UV-Mapping till now. Maybe this will change.
    • CommentAuthorlujach92
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2015 edited

Your Scenery iss looking fantastic so fa, I love the bridge! Are you planning on doing LOD's for those Objects? Because if you continue doing such highly detailed Objects (which is awesome!) I fear there will be hardly anyone to run this coaster with appropriate fps when it's finished.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRK
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2015

^ Thank you. We take it into account but it's not a sure thing since this would mean so much more work.
    •  
      CommentAuthordapalm
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2015

^ Going with that level of details you're going to need LOD's. As they are supposed to be simple models they don't require a lot of work. And other techniques could be useful too. For example, you can save a lot of polys on that bridge with an alpha texture for that fence. I would only model the bigger beams, and use the alpha texture for the small ones. That way, you don't have a totally flat fence, but you save a lot of polys. Other than that, this is looking amazing!
    Hey guys,
    just a small update from my side.

Work is progressing very slowly the past weeks. I did a lot of changes to the lift bulilding which is really tricky. There are so many things to care about but i think I'm getting closer and closer with every version:

^New rooftop. Pretty much everything changed

^'Mechanics' room, Catwalk and stairs reworked

^Changed roof and added hanging carpets

My Goal is to make everything accessable in walkmode to give you the feeling of actually being there walking around and not jumping from floor to floor. So there will be a spiral staircase from ground level to that big room just like the real one inside the buliding.

And finally: A Sim shot

Coasterdude
    •  
      CommentAuthorDonidia
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2015

hory shite!!

I love it!!
    • CommentAuthornannerdw
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2015 edited

Are all the walls using unique textures, or are those vertex colors? or is there support for multiple overlapping UV layouts now, one for a high-res repeating texture, and one for a low-res non-repeating shadow map per surface?

I was thinking of trying something like this, setting the first texture's "T.C. Gen." to "From Vertex Position 2D," and the second texture to "UV map," but I haven't played around with it much yet.
    • CommentAuthorBrawly

Looks amazing.
    Looks great!
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcth

What program do you use for the 3d models?

Looks super awesome!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRK

^ Everything is made in Sketchup.

^^^ It's just a seamless texture. Can't tell for sure if Coasterdude "pimped" the textures, but I don't think so. Before we put big effort into texturing we first want to make sure the model itself is accurate.
    • CommentAuthornannerdw
    • CommentTimeJun 27th 2015 edited

^There's baked ambient occlusion around the stairs and in the corners, and bounced lighting on the walls. It looks very cool. I'm just wondering what the file size is like, having unique textures like this, because this project is surely going to have a lot of textured objects :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBattin
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2015

OMG, this looks absolutely amazing. Glad I bookmarked this thread :D

Could you tell more about the whole project? Are you working on 1 object at a time or on several objects?
    And I would love to see a screenshot of the whole project (you know, high above with scenery). Wondering how far you guys are getting with this :s
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2015

Oh my god, I've been hovering over this thread for quite sometime without taking a real look into it, and that was a mistake until this day.

Seriously, this looks absolutely amazing, great work so far and I can't wait to see more in the future. :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorRK
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2015 edited

^ Thanks. Nice to hear that you decided to give this thread a chance and that you actually like it.

^^ Thank you. Coasterdude and I don't have much time at the moment so progress is very slow. He is currently working on the lift building you saw in the last Updates. It's getting more and more like the real one. And I am still working on the track to eliminate the last few things that I'm not satisfied with and bringing more details to it, to make it as perfect as I can get. So I haven't contributed much to scenery work yet. (A screenshot of the whole area would be pointless because there's not much to see that you haven't at this point)

Besides that what I do without any break is searching on the web for more information on how this ride was built to get a better understanding and a clear view of the whole area (of course I'm figuring out some things directly at phantasialand when I'm there), collecting sound samples, and every now and then I'm creating graphics we'll need.

And I have to admit that I still have to learn a lot of functions Nolimits, Sketchup and other Software deliver. If you look at that bridge I made last month or so I really wouldn't have been able to do this before the way I did. I learned so much on how to get modeling done faster and easier and how to make the texturing look good. Regarding to Nolimits scripting is no problem, but I still have to learn the material editor and most important I need to figure out LOD's so we can make this actually enjoyable and worth uploading.

Btw whats going on with Donkey Kongs Mountain, Battin?
    •  
      CommentAuthorPearman
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2015

^ If you didn't see this one already, this is a playlist with very good videos about BlackMamba. There is also a walkaround at the immelmann turn.
    https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBGxpQKA4tVcmmIszHZSTXmS0J2z0DyCb
    •  
      CommentAuthorRK
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2015 edited

^ Thank you. I remember seeing that one a few years ago. However I only found a different version of this documentary made by RTL 2 too which shows less perspectives of the track without the scenery and giving less technical information at all. This version will definitely help!

Edit: I realized that the version I have is the same as this playlist without the first 5 parts. This was still very helpful.
    I would post a link for those who are interested cause it's better quality than the playlist, but it's not on YouTube anymore.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBattin
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2015

Well, it still looks amazing and it's great to hear that you've learned alot.

Donkey Kongs Mountain is getting along VERY slowly. I'm stuck on the station building and the way towards the station (forgot the name for that). As I can't get the track to export towards Maya, I can't get the roof etc exactly right. I really miss a decent export method within NoLimits 2.

So it's kinda lost my interest for a few weeks. I just started working on it again and hopefully it will get better and better.
    I'll post an update asap.
    Posted By: nannerdw^There's baked ambient occlusion around the stairs and in the corners, and bounced lighting on the walls. It looks very cool. I'm just wondering what the file size is like, having unique textures like this, because this project is surely going to have a lot of textured objects :)

You might just be thinking that the renders are in game.. None of the in game photos lead me to believe that the textures are unique.. Regardless this does look very promising so far!
    •  
      CommentAuthorBattin
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2016

@ Coasterdude: Any word on how it turns out?
    Can't wait to see more of this project :)
    it may have died out...
    If there would have been new this thread wouldn't be dead.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRK
    • CommentTimeFeb 8th 2016 edited

Actually there are some news but I didn't want to share them yet because it looks like a throwback.
    Got a lot into FVD++ in the last 6+ months so you can guess what I'm working on right now ;)

Also I don't think Coasterdude is with me on this anymore. Haven't heard anything from him regarding this project in a while ... but I'm not mad about it. Actually I'm really happy to see his projects like Stalker instead.

My work on Black Mamba is really slow cause I can't always find time to really work on it in depth but I ensure you I won't stop until it's ready. It might take ages (ok, hopefully not :D) but you can alway be sure the project is still going on, even if there's no public post in this thread for like half a year.
    Great work so far on the models. Would be interesting to see how they look in game. I would highly recommend creating LODS for the bones since the only time you really see them is on the ride.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRK
    • CommentTimeJun 3rd 2016

Damn! Again four freakin months passed by since ^^
    It feels like I wrote that last week or so. Time literally flies.

The last month is the best example how my work on this project continues. I finished trackwork three and half weeks ago since then a had one week off everything, so I made a little UK-trip followed by two times Phantasialand and Efteling the next week. Which gave me definitely a lot of fun but nearly no sleep and a lot of stuff that I need to do for uni. So I barely touched NoLimits since then.

But since there wasn't a real update for the last 11 months I think it's only fair to show you what happened in that time. I want to clarify though, that I'm completely aware that the following will absolutely show nearly no obvious progress at all. The only big thing that happened is that I redid the track again but this time in Fvd++.

As I said in my last post I spend a few months trying to get used to fvd. When I finally felt confident enough I started work on Black Mamba, just to get stuck on the first drop for more than 3 months. I spend hours and hours and countless tries and in the end I came to a compromise you can see in the pictures below only to get things going on. On the first look the Drop might seem ok but if you compare it to the real one it's far from perfect. Same goes for the inclined immelman and a few other elements. That’s why nothing happened in here for a while.
    If anyone is interested I can show every element in depth here with radius comb, fvd graph and so on.

Overall I'm happy with the track especially if I consider that this is basically my first fvd track. But a few things are really bugging me. My main concern is the track length being way too short while the forces are generally to gentle. Plus although the heights should be overall alright and the train matches up with POVs decently in the first half it suddenly looses all it's speed after the second corkscrew. This leads me into the decision I have to make now. Since I definitely don't want to end this project without finishing it I either have to start the track from scratch for the fourth time or I have to be pleased with what I have right now so I can finally start to concentrate on modeling and get closer to finishing this project. At the moment I tend to the latter because I have a lot of ideas for projects I really want to try out. But I have to think about it a little bit more.

Well sorry for the long text. Let's get into some pictures that show the current state.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRK

At first two side views to give you an overview and a first impression on how the elements are shaped.

Although it should be hard to judge how well the elements are shaped with only one pic you can see the radius comb seems to be ok in a lot of places but you can definitely make out places where it has bumps in it. In this places I had big issues with geometry while trying to keep the track close the real one in top down view. I spend a lot of time trying to eliminate those bumps but at some point I just took a version that rides well and looks ok. This would also be one of the reasons to redo the track again.

Just wanted to show the track in an 3d environment too.

Here you can see the current state regarding the 3d models. Again no big noticeable progress at all. But I started the lift-building from scratch because there were changes made to the lift so that coasterdudes model wasn't compatible anymore. Still not came around texturing it. Also you can see that I started work on the bridge through the loop and the first two buildings of the queue. You may notice that the textures oft the bridges are too repetitive. I don't know exactly why but somehow the textures got broken. They will be fixed.

Here is what I meant with the drop. In my opinion it has a lot of similarities to the real one but if you would compare side by side then you would quickly see that the original one pitches down and banks much faster/earlier. But I just couldn't get it right in fvd.

For full resolution just click here to get directly to the album.

Well that's it for now. I absolutely hate updates where you can barely see any progress and if I'm honest I would still have waited a little bit more. But I felt it was appropriate to make one just because the last one was so long ago and I wanted to really show you that I'm still working on it. And if I'm deciding to redo the track again who knows when the next one will be.

I hope this wasn't too boring. If you read all this then thank you! I really appreciate your interest!
    If you have any feedback I'd be more than happy!
    •  
      CommentAuthorPearman

WOW! This is amazing. Finally there is a new update :D
    I agree with you, that it's reeeeaaaaly close to the real one. But from my own work I already know, that it is just impossible to build everything 100% correct (or at least 99%), as you have written above with the predrop. Also with almost no textures, the pictures are just stunning. Good work so far :)
    That looks really really great :) And as Pearman said, you can't get it completly right.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBattin
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2016 edited

Damn, this looks amazing.
    By the looks of those pictures, all I can say is "Job well done".

Obviously it's hard to get the track 100% equal to the real thing, but you are damn close (a few % less doesn't matter) :D.

Things i would do to get my hands on this track and create a complete different coaster with it though scenery, is something I can't describe ;p

EDIT: OMG, just noticed that the thread was last visited (or posted) in June. Sorry about bumping the thread :(