Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorCraZHadder
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2015 edited

1. Pteranodon - B&M Wing Rider- Released
    2. Wild Fire - RMC Coaster - Released
    3a. Itzamna 2 Nighttime - B&M Inverted - Released
    3b. Itzamna 2 Daytime
    4. Scarab - Mack Launched Coaster
    5. Wanted Fugitives - Dueling RMC & B&M Twister
    6. Raptor - Rocket Coaster
    •  
      CommentAuthorBattin
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2015

Curious to see what this project brings!
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2015

• CommentAuthornSeven

Hey, wow. Cool man. Thumbs up brah.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRK

Nice Idea. Looks great!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorganFan

YES
    Ever since Jurassic Park III I have wanted a coaster like this.
    WOOHOO a coaster themed to a dinosaur :3 does this have something to do with Jurrasic World coming out?
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2015 edited

@nSeven: Haha, yes, Thanks.

@RK: Thanks.

@MorganFan & TwinTailedGamer: The whole idea was inspired because Jurassic World would be coming out, and will not stop with just this one coaster. ;) I decided to start with this particular ride because of Jurassic Park III. I thought, wouldn't it be wicked to actually create a cage around this coaster. I was not sure if I could actually make it, but it would seem after perseverance, I could. Of course creating the cage is of great cost, with 3/4 of a million polys. :o As of right now though, the game is still running smoothly. But I do not foresee me creating any more rides in this particular park file, at the moment. Does not mean I will not try.

No need to quote every post just to say thanks; use the @ symbol - Staff
    •  
      CommentAuthorlamewad

Lol I am currently building a ride called Pterodactyl as well. I guess I'll figure out something new now! This looks awesome!
    @lamewad - Just because I have a coaster named Pterodactyl does not mean you should stop making yours. Sometimes names just happen to be the same, but that does not mean the projects will be that similar to each other.

Another update with n7's amazing foliage.

•  
      CommentAuthorBolt789
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2015

Can we see some more on the trackwork? Although that cage does look fantastic.
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2015

The above coaster work as been discontinued, and is incomplete...here is the released POV for it, nothing special: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRtUNSXKM1I

Now to other news: I have decided to continue Project Extinction, in the form of a park. To no surprise, it will be called "Jurassic Park", unless you guys have something better.

The first coaster for the park:

Pteranodon -- A B&M Wingrider nestled on an island in the center of the park. All though compact in nature the coaster does have 4 inversions and utilizes the terrain very well.

First shot is from the pathway that leads to the back of the park.

Same pathway.

Just off the path and ride entry/exit junction.
    Would love to see a preliminary POV, because your other wing rider seemed a little drawn out and some of the track work was sloppy. It would be a shame to see so much effort being put into the scenery and environment, and have the coasters be sub-par.

But otherwise, from what I can see it looks pretty incredible.

@JetstreamCoasters: The other coaster was purposefully drawn out. My original idea was to create coasters based off the behaviors of what the actual dinosaur would do, not necessarily about coaster creation. That is the reason why the coaster was built as it was. Now given, that was my 3rd coaster I built, and I did not really do much homework on the WingRider coaster. However for this park, it is all about coaster design and creation, and theming. For each coaster I create for this park, I will be doing my homework on the style. Now given, there are probably still flaws here or there. I will see what I can do for you and the others as far as getting a preliminary video. Thanks for the input. Definitely helps!
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan

Why did you get rid of the huge cage dome?
    @CraZHadder

That totally makes sense. I look forward to future updates!
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2015 edited

Here is the preliminary video for Pteranodon. Leave your comments, critiques.

Several shots showing off the queue line for the ride.

• CommentTimeJun 7th 2015 edited

W3Schools

• CommentAuthorrobdcx
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2015

Very nice! The ride seems to have a good flow from beginning to end, and I really like the high, slow turn at the end that swoops into the tunnel. Looking forward to the final product!
    The acceleration on that launch is a bit insane, considering its length. Surroundings are neat though.
    I feel like the g-forces would be a bit high for the seats. But it still looks great!
    Does the coaster make it all the way to the end? Because the speed just dies...
    @robdcx- Thanks. I think that is my favorite part of the ride.

@Coasterfan312- Yes, the acceleration is ridiculous on the launch, but after doing all the work I did with the station and surroundings there was no fixing it. Thanks though.

@TriNationalism- I am no professional, so I cannot say whether the G-Forces would be too much or not. I did my best to use a single launch and still allow the train to make a full circuit without having to use another launch. Thanks, though!

@JetstreamCoasters- Yes the coaster does make it all the way around without any trouble, I accidentally faded out too soon, and was not really in the mood to go back and redo the video. But the preliminary video shows it: Pteranodon
    • CommentAuthornSeven
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2015

Really excellent work here Shawn...the surroundings are especially awesome and the integration of the tunnels makes the ride feel quite complete.

These other guys will get you on shaping, but for me...you have GOT to be careful with tunnels and objects poking through. That blunder takes this from a bloody fantastic experience to a good, but disjointed one. It pulls me out of suspended disbelief.
    @nSeven- Thanks Mike. I was inspired and determined to really make something...beautiful and as close to realistic as I could get. I spent so many hours with those tunnels and trying to keep all the intersecting objects and footers from, well, protruding through. I am not finished yet. I will do a FULL video when the park is complete of all the rides (possibly) and I will be sure that any mistakes are fixed by then.

Time to keep this project rolling...Next up on the list is Mosasaurus: A B&M Flying Coaster. To start it off, I will leave you with a screenshot of the station and lift hill (WIP). Do leave your comments or suggestions.

• CommentTimeJun 12th 2015

Finished supporting the lift hill. Thoughts?
    ^You should hold off supporting until you're completely done with trackwork.
    The lift hill angle looks pretty shallow for a flyer.

Check out Manta,

Tatsu,

or any of the Superman Clones:
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2015

@toilertalker26-- Where would the fun in that be? I love more work...lol. I actually never planned on moving the lift hill or supports once I finished them anyway, but rather work around them. That is the only reason I made the supports early.

@JetstreamCoasters-- I noticed that, but was not sure if I really cared for a short, steep lift, but in the end turned out far better looking. Thanks for the tip.

So I did a little more than half the layout now and I have one turn-around that I am not to keen on. In this first image it is closest to the camera and under the lift hill. Any ideas?

Another angle from the opposite side of the coaster.
    •  
      CommentAuthorcheetah
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2015

Well, it looks promising, the element off the first drop is pretty cool looking But a few things to fret over:
    1, Your lift hill doesn't appear to be straight, use strict nodes(double click on a node and check 'strict') to keep the middle straight portion truly straight.
    2, I'd be worried abut the g forces on the flying parts, keep it around 2.5 max or it could probably crush ribs.
    3, the drop off the lift hill comes out straight, it looks really akward imo, try making it exit at a downwards angle so it flows better.
    4, Do you have heartline on?

My 2 cents, keep up the work!
    The layout looks great for the most part, you have some pretty original takes on some classic B&M flyer inversions. As Cheetah said, it appears that you have the heart-line set to "centre of rails" instead of "heartline of current coaster style". You'll find this in the coaster properties under the mode tab, labelled "Spline Position". You'll instantly notice the change that it makes to your ride, and you should find it much easier to work on your tracks shaping. Be sure to use the speed comb and radius comb, as these will highlight the parts in your ride which are causing pumps, and will also show you were you can tighten the tops of your loops or lower them for more speed. The ride is looking good and it has a lot of potential, be sure to post more pics here, and focus on track work before you get too deep into supporting and themeing.
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2015

@cheetah:
    1. The lift hill is actually straight, the angle just shows otherwise. I built all my straight elements on the grid and then moved and rotated them into place.
    2. I did go back and do my best to lower the g-forces for the flying parts of the ride. I believe I've been able to reduce them to around 2.8Gs, the best it will get, so thanks for pointing that out.
    3. I'll look into the drop off from the lift.
    4. I use Center of Rails to build my coasters.

@The_Architect: Thanks. The heart-line is in fact set to center of rails. As for the rest, I use it all. Cheetah pointed out some things to watch and I went back and modified those areas.

Thanks for the input on everything. I'll update within the next week or two with a final layout to be looked over.
    • CommentTimeJul 3rd 2015 edited

I've taken a small break from Project Extinction to get some fresh ideas, and started working on a model for an RMC Timberliner about 5 days ago.

Here's what I have so far, for the station and lift hill. It is not finished yet. Have a few textures to fix and change.

Keep images below 1000 wide, as per forum rules - Staff
    •  
      CommentAuthorKWTbolt
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2015

The model and concept is great so far. I love the use of the coal chute for the lift. Can't wait to see more!
    •  
      CommentAuthorUncleArly
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2015

Love the idea, I've always tinkered with something like that!
    @KWTbolt- Thanks.

@UncleArly- Thank you.

I made a full layout. I like it, but I do not like it at the same time. What do you all think?

• CommentAuthorInkyz
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2015

It's good, but it's VERY stretched out.
    Yeah, very cool scene, but I think your coaster looks giant in a lot of ways. I suggest making the trackwork tighter, even if you keep a sprawling layout. Right now it's a bit too much to be believable, but you can get there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKWTbolt
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2015

Along with what others said and based off of the fact that you said this was designed as an RMC, some of the elements would look more at home on a traditional wooden coaster. You have some very long transitions and sweeping turns. A lot of those turns you can turn into two or three different "moments;" for example, one long sweeping turn could be an up that flattens out with air into a much tighter overbank, which then flattens out and goes back down to provide a second moment of air (or goes up again to lead into a larger drop). Also, that second to last picture just looks awkward with the (I'm assuming) Dive loop preceded by a very long, uneventful section of track.

With some tweaks and some rethinking, this can turn out really well.
    Thanks everyone for the feedback on the layout. As you guys have mentioned it being a little sprawled/stretched out, and not so much RMC, and the fact that I was not really keen on the design anyway, I ended up creating a new layout. It is more compact and snug to the mountain top and Mill.

Here is the overhead of the track layout with and without the terrain. I'll show a little more in depth later. But the coaster is fairly quick, and abrupt in the turns.

•  
      CommentAuthorKWTbolt
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2015

That looks like an improvement. A few things that worry me ... 1, the amount of tunnels. They'll work if you theme them well (perfect here if you can make them look like mine shafts, but just plain tunnels will be overkill. 2, It looks like you may not be heartlining the track, but I think RMCs are heartlined. 3, does the coaster interacting with the structure as it does ruin the scene? The section in the middle seems to go right over the building; all that wooden structure might ruin how the building looks.
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2015

KWTbolt- Thanks for viewing the thread and leaving your thoughts and feedback. I do have a plan for making the tunnels a mine. Honestly it is the only reason I even made it go into the mountain. I did go back and heartline the track so that it looks more accurate. As for the middle section of the track that goes over the buildings--I have a pretty good idea as to how I am going to make it look aesthetically pleasing without affecting the look of the model..at least that is what I am hoping, lol.

Just working on the Mine Entrance, thought I'd share what I made with you all. As you can see in the picture there is a wooden tunnel. That is only to make the entrance realistic looking, seeings how the 'Virtual Tunnel' entrance is the shape of a tube. Feel free to leave feedback.
    • CommentAuthornSeven
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2015

Lol I did this for an exercise in the NLC Cast thread - but it was good advice so I'm posting it here too!

First off, wow! You have brought together scenery in a really integrated vision in this latest project. The coal mine with the elevator as the lift is pretty smart and it looks like it completely fits in the Black Hills region of the Eastern United States (I think that's where the black hills are?). Your scenery has been getting better with each project and with every new coaster, you're getting closer to achieving a nice balance between layout and scenery. What I also like about your work is that you're fairly new to the program so you have a fresh vision for how these coasters might look. You haven't been pigeon-holed into only doing things a certain way and it makes your projects stand out.

That said, I do think this layout is a lot like your others - it's far too stretched out to resemble what it's trying to be. An RMC does a lot with the space it is provided and so you don't see a whole lot of stretched out elements, hills, drops and turns. There's a sort of rhythm when you're making an RMC - they're a little frantic and they hardly let up. I think if you tightened your layout so that it didn't stretch so far, you'd have a more forceful and exciting coaster. Also I'd consider lining up your elements so that onride there is a sense of rhythmic g-force - you want to position large spikes or long stretches of positive g-force with pops of negative or 0 g force. This gives you the feel you're going after. It's the goal of a roller coaster to exploit as many forces as it can before it loses kinetic energy and RMCs do this with syphilitic insanity at times.

Lol, yes I just compared RMC to syphilis.

I think with each new project, you've been gaining a lot more knowledge about how to make better layouts and how to position scenery and landscape to get the most bang for your buck. Ravage had good scenery but you hardly ever saw it or flew past it without realizing it was there. Pteranodon had beautifully integrated scenery, but the ride experience was a little jolting. I think with Wildfire, you're finding that balance nicely and with a little work on tightening up the layout and really exploiting a nice selection and pattern of g-forces, this could easily be your best yet.
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2015

@nSeven-- Well thank you for the feedback Mike. The way a reply should be. While reading it, it was quite inspiring, lol. Now all though I could tighten up the track, this build is not exactly meant to be realistic, but close enough to make sense, and not be too--'out there.' As you mentioned I am beginning to grasp that 'niche' between scenery and layout design. NoLimits is far different than RCT, as we all know. So grasping the concept of scaling is taking some time, but I am getting there.

I sat for a few hours the other day, thinking, what exactly I could do to make this Mine work. Then, I read Mike's reply and it just clicked. So, I spent 2 days, which totaled only about 10hrs in SketchUp creating the Mine and shafts where the coaster track went underground. I still have to make the beams that support the walls, but here is the result:

• CommentTimeJul 18th 2015

Hello again. I had no idea how time consuming it would be to make these beams. I've only managed to add the beams to the main Mine Shaft at this moment. That alone took about 4.5hrs. I also refreshed the entrance into the mine with a building, which is still incomplete. Feel free to leave any comments and/or feedback.

Looks fantastic :D
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2015

@ DerMuffinMaker-- Thanks!

Spent the past week or so, going through the supports, and modifying supports for the coaster. Hope you all like it. I will have close-ups once I start placing the foliage. Feel free to comment and/or leave feedback.

• CommentAuthorBrawly
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2015

Woah! Looks seriously cool! Were you going to make custom track for this?
    Okay that looks really really good.
    • CommentTimeJul 29th 2015

@Brawly-- Thanks Brawly. I do not plan on making custom track, no. I do not even know how to, lol.

@DerMuffinMaker-- Thank you. Glad to see you following the project.

The past couple days I have gone through and placed foliage, and added a few things here and there on the model. POV to come soon. Now for lots of pictures...

Here is the queue line for the ride.

The drop after the lift.

The S curves through the woods along the mountain side.

The Mine Entrance/Exit.

Pathway leading to Wild Fire.

Last of all, just a nice picture of the whole thing from the other side of the small pond.