Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorKG9
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2016

Looks amazing guys!

Great design as I was totally surprised by the second half. The first half I got obvious Mako vibes, however the second half caught me by surprise and did not expect for another airtime hill into a valley plummet.

The video was good too! I very much liked the reverse POV shots cutting in and out at one point. I also anticipate what nSeven is able to do with Clean in the future!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRK
    • CommentTimeJul 12th 2016 edited

This is awesome. Great work you guys!
    Would it be possible to provide another download? The exchange is being the exchange again for me.

Edit: Thank You!
    ^ This.

This dropbox link should work, but still remember to drop a rate on NLE :)

DOWNLOAD

It's up on coastercrazy if you have an account there. It's over the old 50mb limit here, which causes the website to fail, despite the upload limit being updated.

As for the coaster itself, I enjoyed my ride on it. You went for a similar method with your Giga to mine (Zenith) by putting the main drop in a valley, which helps bleed out the speed and give a much longer ride. I love terrain coasters, especially how they can have a bunch of small drops, and then suddenly pick up speed again with larger drops, I think it makes a coaster so much more exciting than one that just loses its speed throughout.

The ride had a nice variation of turns and hills, which were executed well, and Nseven has done a wonderful job with the environment.

I do have a couple of critiques however;

- The MCBR has friction tires, these would wear out really quickly if subjected to trains hitting them at speed every day, did you need them in case of an Estop? The best way to combat this is to have your MCBR on a slight slope (about 3degrees will do).

- The coaster, mainly the second half being guilty, was over supported. Take a look at real life examples of B&M hills to give you a better idea of how many supports are needed. B&M cast their supports in a mould, unlike intamin who roll them (at least they used to do, not sure if they do with their newer square supports?), but that makes them much stronger, meaning you need less. This is especially true on airtime hills where the train is practically weightless.

- There was a bit of a conflict of 'branding' (I'll say branding as the coaster is unthemed), your entrance sign uses a blocky font and pattern behind, but then a completely different font (much more whimsical) was used on the cartexture. Neither looked bad tbh, but I don't think they worked together, if that makes sense?

Other than that, it was an enjoyable ride, and beautiful to look at, well done to both of you.

thank you for pointing those flaws out Crazycoaster, and I do actually have some regrets with this ride, because after I handed over the ride to nSeven I did realize some flaws in the supports (and some minor trackwork gripes, but none that were significant). In addition, by the time I found out about the e-stop issue, I had already fully supported the ride and had done much of the terrain and foliage, so the closest thing to realism I could do was put friction wheels on (it is made in FVD so I couldn't just change the slope of the MCBR). Aside from that I think it turned out much better then I ever expected, but I also am excited to shift my focus over to better projects.

• CommentAuthornSeven

Yeah, I noticed some supports don't terminate cleanly on some of the footers - for the most part though, I tried to ignore them in the video, haha.

Thanks for your analysis CC - your artist's eye is insightfully tuned to the bigger picture in a project and your critique is always well spoken.
    • CommentAuthorBigbad

Posted By: CrazycoasterThe MCBR has friction tires, these would wear out really quickly if subjected to trains hitting them at speed every day, did you need them in case of an Estop? The best way to combat this is to have your MCBR on a slight slope (about 3degrees will do).
    Since it can't be angled down without changing EVERYTHING in the FVD track, maybe a short LSM run would work. Obviously B&M would have the MCBR on a bit of a slope, but if they didn't or couldn't for some reason, a short LSM run that gets trains up to 6mph or so once in a while couldn't be terribly expensive, I'd imagine.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc

This coaster was hyped up so much, but it was so disappointing to see so many technical flaws in the track. There were so many spots where the track itself was clipping into the terrain. Not to mention the same issue with many of the footers. Next time, you should consider spending more time on the smaller details.

No ratings yet? come on guys! Head over to here and drop me a rate.

Lately I've had almost zero time with school and sports, but I still am alive and Nolimit-ing (Although not very much anymore). Here is a little rough draft/unrevised version of a ride concept that I whipped up in FVD in about an hour that focuses a lot on terrain and track interaction. I'm thinking about rolling with this layout and finishing this coaster because I think it's pretty cool, but I want some suggestions from you guys whether I should even keep going with this ride, and if I do, what I should add/change about the layout before really tweaking the trackwork in FVD to make it final (Yes, I know... The cobra roll is really weirdly shaped I promise I will fix it XD).

• CommentAuthorDelay
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2016

That cobra roll looks a little weird
    • CommentAuthorInkyz

Posted By: thecoasterman589(Yes, I know... The cobra roll is really weirdly shaped I promise I will fix it XD).
    • CommentAuthorDelay

^Didn't read the whole thing...
    Fail.
    I'm currently liking this layout much better. This one is a lot less repetitive and keeps the pacing up much better towards the end (not to mention the trackwork is miles better). Thoughts?

•  
      CommentAuthorParadox

Love it!

ENTROPY - WIP pov video

Here's a PoV vid of the invert I have been working on lately. The only thing that is final is the trackwork, and the supports are mostly prefabs at this point, so there is still much work to be done before I release it. For some reason the end of the ride got cut out from the video, so sorry for that (there was only like 5 seconds left of the ride anyway). Also, don't know why I chose such a chill song for a ride named after disorder (a more hectic/crazy song would have been more appropriate), but I guess it was just the mood I was in. Feedback, as always, is greatly appreciated. Enjoy!

• CommentAuthorBigbad
    • CommentTimeNov 12th 2016

I generally like it, but the cobra roll is bizarre. I think the roll speed is too high.

Yes the cobra roll is a bit snappier then a cobra roll you would see on some other b&m inverts, raptor for example, but I believe it is still acceptabe. I dont think 135° per second is TOO snappy for a b&m. I would assume that the top of the corkscrews on the batman clones have to be rolling at at least 145° per second, but i could be wrong.

• CommentAuthorBigbad

It's snappier than any cobra roll I've ever seen, B&M or otherwise. Intamin is known for having snappy transitions like on Maverick and I305, yet the cobra roll on Fahrenheit does not seem to be nearly as fast as yours.

Beyond degrees per second, it could be how fast that roll rate is achieved. If you go up to 135 in 0.1 seconds (you don't), that's too fast.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

I actually really like that layout quite a bit. It's like a strange mix between Alpengeist and Nemesis. That said, the shaping generally feels kind of awkward, not very flowy like most inverts. It's hard to really describe what I mean. But otherwise, I really like it so far. I cant wait to see it finished.

@bigbad first roll transition is a 1.4 second quartic, second roll transition is a 0.9 and a 0.7 second cubic (1.6 second bump altogether)

@JAKool Pretty awesome that you say that, because those were the two inspirations that I kept in mind the whole time while making the track. Someone else on CC actually picked up on both of the inspirations too! As for the shaping thing, I don't completely understand what you mean, but I did have to make some some awkward transitions and stuff to kind of make the coaster go exactly where i wanted it to go, for example making the drop go through the loop or the zero g going over the entrance and exit of the cobra. It's kind of tough to explain, but I had to make some sacrifices (not as much "sacrifices", more like awkwardness) in shaping to achieve the exact layout that I wanted, so I do kind of see what you mean.

Since I'm nearing the completion of Entropy (albeit extremely slowly), I have ran into a dilemma. I really want to film a nice video for it, but honestly, I have never made a full length NL video before. Although I am a very avid editor in adobe after effects and enjoy making films with a real camera, somehow I've never tried a Nolimits vid. For all of you great NL video editors (nSeven, AJ Clarke, CG Coasters, looking at you guys lol), what do you start with when you are looking to make a video, and how to you film all of the shots? Most of them cameras attached to invisible tracks I would assume? Anyways, it would be awesome if I could get some guidance from people with NL2 videography experience regarding strategies to getting the actual shots themselves (the actual editing part I'm good with once I get the footage. I absolutely LOVE editing). Feel free to comment here or whisper to me. Literally ANY advice would be super awesome!

In the meantime, here are some pictures (not like I have done much work on the coaster lately haha. School has been crazy). Cartextures are still a WIP along with supports.

•  
      CommentAuthorAJClarke0912
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2017 edited

Hey there,

As far as my stuff goes, I do the occasional invisible camera but most of mine is handheld. For the Air video, those were simple targets most of the time, and I used them in creative ways to flick the camera. In a few of the opening shots, I place the first target far behind so it's looking away, then when it moves along the track it flips around to the new target. I cut the clip at the apex of this transition so it whirls and eases into position. There were other moments where I had a camera target the train while also flying its own path. Those use JetPulse's script, which I'd highly recommend getting.

However, last time I used the invisible camera I actually still aimed the camera by hand (Scourge). I know I'm one of the few who have success with this so this may not work for you, but I can try to explain it. The goal of handheld footage is actually to not be shaky, although it can be a handy side-effect for action cuts. Instead I liberally use handheld footage to preserve on-screen movement. There's like a sort of "meta movement layer" I try to tap into that links otherwise fast and jarring clips into unified movement. That way a set of 3 or 4 clips becomes a musical phrase that you implement. You probably already know what I'm trying to get at if you do this IRL or are a film buff lol. I'm not, so for me it was just self-taught. I personally find handheld clips feel far more natural during the recording process.

If you want to try it yourself, the best I can tell you is to keep an extremely steady hand and practice. Be slow. Learn how your movements translate through the media stabilizer you use. And always record multiple versions of the same shot. Results are surprisingly variable and it always feels good to be able to choose the best clip. Let me know if you want more specifics (settings, etc). N7 has tried it himself a fair bit, but I think he's had mixed results. His can come off intentionally shaky or just plain drunk sometimes lol.

Speaking of N7, he would be far more likely to help you with tracking cameras and FX in general - he outshines me there.

I give some personal insight though - you may notice that I use lots of color overlays and splashes. Outside of the occasional musical garnish, they have a very specific purpose, and that's to make time-warped clips stand out. I try not to make velocity changes because they are fake ways of creating coaster speed and intensity. The main chunk of your clips should be shot in a way that makes the coaster look fast on its own. So when I do make velocity changes, I visually cue the viewer that this clip is heavily edited and serves an aural/visual purpose. Then normal clips stand out as being left untouched, separating the "fake" vs "real". I think it kind-of helps with the whole '4th wall' thing a bit.
    One hint--if you are able to get permission from certain users such as CoasterForce for more authentic coaster audio, go ahead
    •  
      CommentAuthorCG Coasters
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2017 edited

From a more broad standpoint than what AJ detailed, I like to start with music. Most of the time I'll search for music that embodies the coaster I built or its environment (Animikii was an exception - I built the ride to look like the music). After I get a sound that works, I try to imagine what that sound would look like in motion (frantic sounds get fast, wide angle shots / slower or more deep sounds work with a close up / pitch can mirror altitude / etc.); this is much more straightforward than it sounds, but you have a good editing brain so you'll have a sense of what to do.

In the sim itself, I make heavy use of the external track camera script which Is relatively easy to use and the fly-by cam for detailed shots. The fly-by mode is neglected by NL "cinematographers" for the most part, but I've found a few clever uses. If the camera is focused on the first car, but positioned much further back (or vice versa), you can get some great shots of banking and inversions like these two or this. Additionally, any time you are thinking about doing a static shot for a low-energy segment, quickly add a straight piece of track and run the external track cam along it at 2-3m/s instead. Keeping constant motion in your shots is crucial to an engaging video. In general, motion should stay constant across many shots at a time; this means that if one ends panning right, the next should also start in that direction (and can then change directions).

Many times I'll find myself stumped on what to film next. If you run out of ideas/angles to use, try flying around in the sim to test new shots out in a "rough draft" manner without actually recording. Many of my best shots have been realized by accident in this manner then tweaked to work. (This was filmed upside down in fast foreward the first time through because the camera kept sliding down a dummy track).

I don't want to get crazy technical with how I achieve many of my shots, because it's much more interesting to see with what you can come up with alone. If you wanted to know about anything in particular, whisper me and I'd be happy to break it down, but the best advice I can offer is to experient with your ideas and get creative with how you pull them off, the results will surprise you!

@AJClarke @Gorres Coasters @CG Coasters

Thank you guys so much! Your tips mean a lot and I'm sure they will prove to be very helpful. Very excited to finish up this coaster and start filming when I get the time. Thanks for lending a bit of your time to help me out :)