Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

• CommentAuthorlhyh
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2015 edited

Hi there!

As a long-time lurker i decided that it was time for me to contribute something to this awesome community.

Some facts about me: My name's Lukas, I'm currently 17 years old, and just finishing school right now (just one oral exam left, whoo!).

So I'll hopefully have plenty of time to work on my current project, named Olympus. (not really creative, I know :/ any suggestions?) My idea was to create a Cannibal/Karacho crossover, with a functional vertical lift and special element, similar to one experienceable on Winjas Fear and Force (I'd like to keep this one a secret for now - maybe you'll find some hints in the pictures? Take a guess!), completely with custom trains, and some scripted flatrides (I'm thinking of a Intamin Bungee Drop Tower - not on the inside of the tower like Mystery Castle but on the outside!).

I know that my idea is awfully similar to TheDarkStar's Tonatiuh, but I can promise you that I am not trying to rip off his work. In fact, I had this idea before I saw his work on here. It is highly unlikely that my scenery will come close to Tonatiuh's quality, but I am not trying to compete with it. I want to improve my skills, and want to have fun recreating my vision in NoLimits.

The theming/story is based on Greek mythology, with the Olympus being the residence of the greek gods. The riders enter the temple, ascend to the top floor to see the gods. But one can imagine that mortals are not welcome up there, so they'll have to flee from Zeus and the other Olympians in their chariot. The style is heavily inspired by the Greece level of Tomb Raider: Anniversary (one of my favorite games tbh), but more clean and white-ish on the outside, with dark, dusty catacombs on the inside. It is slightly hard to describe for me (English is not my main language - I'm German :P Please don't be too harsh on any mistakes!), so maybe I'll just show you some pictures.

Be aware that nothing is final, and nothing is textured yet. I'm using SketchUp, so the texturing and UV-mapping is going to be haaaaaarrd. Would it be possible to export the model to Blender and UV-map it there, has anyone experience in this?

The trackwork is final, the shaping may seem odd in some areas. The first element after the drop would be a reverse rolled non-inverting dive-loop - airtime-hill combo (what a monster :P)

I was thinking of a light blue for the track color. The supports could then be dark grey/green, like Helix' track color. But those are just ideas.

I'm a huge fan of strong floater ejector airtime, this monstrosity of an element provides 3 to 4 seconds of -1.1 vertical Gs.

After that, a splashdown thats not yet modelled follows, just invisible brakes here!

You can guess the rest of the layout with help of this top-down view:

Some detail of the model in SketchUp:

please don't mind the unsmoothed faces, it's just for now, i'm aware of that problem ;)

And now as a treat for you, a preview of the lift :P

Thank you for your time, I'd really like to read some of your thoughts regarding this!

Edit: I meant ejector airtime, thanks KingRCT!
    • CommentAuthorElvenage
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2015

Holy cow. Have you made a vertical lift?!
    • CommentAuthorlhyh

Technically, I haven't made it yet, it's just a scripted moving piece of track for now (no built-in track, it's modelled!). It works quite well, and I already know how I would unstick the train models from the real track to the faux track and back, so that shouldn't be the problem.
    After that a track-script is needed with all the altered block handling, but thats no witchcraft at all. But all to it's proper time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2015 edited

Oh wow, what a beast!
    I love the first element, and especially how it rolls and stay -1g.. Must be terrifying! (I think, though, that -1g is called ejector, floater is more aroung 0g.)

Keep up the good work, that's a great start and this is so cool that you can script that easily. Awesome things upcoming!
    I like the layout a lot, but unlike KingRCT3 I don't like how you shaped the first element. I've just seen too many people unintentionally do that in Newton1/2 over the years that to me it's increasingly become a sign of poor design and lack of attention to detail. Other than that one aspect, the ride looks very cool.
    • CommentAuthorlhyh

You know, that was the excact way this element came into life! I was just experimenting with a dive-loop, inverted the roll-speed value and boom, perfect! I agree that it looks kind of misshapen and weird, but it flows really nice when you ride it. So I decided to keep it, would a gif convince you?

The speed is not quite right, maybe I'll change it later to a video.
    Agree with DCS.. [insidejoke]The wave turn strikes again ...[/insidejoke]
    • CommentAuthorTheBeatles
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2015 edited

^Because inside jokes between two people are wonderful for a public forum...

That looks like a pretty fun element lhyh! Though I agree with DCH and Kyle the shaping could use quite a bit of work
    I think it looks nice. I think you need to make it of your fantasy and change some elements to your own elements. Then you haven't a coaster that looks the same as an other. Then the coaster have something special ;)
    • CommentAuthorlhyh
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2015 edited

Here are some pictures of the train model. I'll only show the first car because the other cars are identical, with the exception of the absence of the front bars.

Please, don't hesitate to offer your criticism!

Yay, lap bars!

Restrains open:

I'll post a unfinished POV tomorrow, it would be really nice of you to point out all flaws in the shaping which need to be adressed, I'm planning to re-do the track in fvd++ later this week or next week (maybe later, a friend is coming over and we're heading to my home park - Phantasialand :D).

I also found some very good looking textures online, so hopefully the texture work starts tomorrow!

Also, for the sake of completeness, here are the GIFs of the lift:

------
    Edit:
    I really appreciate the feedback regarding the first element! I'll try keep the base characteristics of the element in the new iteration of the track (e.g. the strong sustained negatives paired with the rolling), but with more focus on the shaping. So that the element doesn't look like a weirdly deformed dive loop, but with more emphasis on a continuous pitch change without dents.

It should look close to this:
    Honestly I think your profile is fine. The issue for me is the view perpendicular to the one shown, with the track pulling back under negatives. It just lacks finesse...the shaping is done the easy way and as such (to me) that point in particular looks like so many other awkward Newton coasters lol.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjustinwzig
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2015

Wow! That vertical lift is insane! I wish I had the skills to script something like that!
    • CommentAuthorlhyh
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2015 edited

^Thank you! It looks harder than it is, trust me :)

^^Okay, now I see what you mean, and I have to agree with you. I did start to work on a new iteration of the track, and ended up with this:

-----

Here's the promised onride view:
    https://youtu.be/FqhkUm__Y6g
    •  
      CommentAuthorjustinwzig
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2015

You're probably too far into this already, but, if in the future you decide to do another vertical lift, I think that is would be scary af and really cool if the train were to go down backwards at the top of the lift. Like, there would be legit track at the top facing forward (possibly mangled and broken - think expedition Everest), but then the train lurches backwards as if it is broken and falling off the back. That, with a beyond vertical lift, would be absolutely terrifying in my humble opinion. Just speculation, of course.
    •  
      CommentAuthormcrc.2305

can you make a tutorial on how to script the lift plz, love this ride so far. im also making a cannibal insp coaster themed to china
    ^Things like that are too situational to be taught
    •  
      CommentAuthormcrc.2305

^ok
    • CommentAuthorlhyh
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2015

TheCodeMaster is unfortunately right. Scripting a vertical lift is very situational, so I won't provide a tutorial. You could take a look into the script if I release the coaster someday.

Nevertheless the overall principle should stay the same:

1. Unstick the cars from the train that enters the lift. The now invisible train will travel to the top of the elevator, and will stop in front of the pre-drop block.
    2. Animate the cars travelling from the bottom stationary block onto the lift, and animate the actual lift travelling up with the cars loaded.
    3. Lift is now on top, the invisible train rolls to a full stop onto the pre-drop block.
    4. Animate the cars travelling to the train and reattach them.
    5. Animate the lift travelling down.

And thats it!

Take a look at the magic behind it:
    Very good job at getting them to line up so seamlessly!
    • CommentAuthorlhyh
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2015

^Thank you so much! The trick is to make the z-movement dependent on the actual position of the train bogeys, instead of using a constat value that's hard-coded into the script.

What do you think, would this pass the clearance test? Unfortunately I couldn't use the clearance envelope, it would detect the wrong track and then not find the right train (there's no train on the Gerstlauer track, d'oh).
    It has about 1.7m free space between the wall and the track, and about 1m between the wall and the train.

I think it would, but that would defiantly be scary!
    That hill has the same problem as the first hill.
    • CommentAuthorlhyh
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2015

Something's happening!

I've started with the texturing, and I'm surprised how easy texture mapping works in sketchup!
    (please ignore that water trench, It's not finished!)

very nice texture work so far
    •  
      CommentAuthorintim305
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2015

holy.
    From of now I'm in love with this. (At least starting to love this)
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix

Outstanding textures, Lukas! I really like how the coaster interacts with the scenery. Keep it up!
    • CommentAuthorlhyh

Thank you so much! That's really encouraging to hear!

I've made some progress with the texturing and the station, I hope you like it.

Some more progress on the temple fly-through and the queue

And finally the station, still largely unfinished

•  
      CommentAuthorParadox

Oh my. Your work is amazing! Please back this up!
    Holy... Wow
    • CommentAuthorBrawly
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2015

Fantastic work on the textures!
    Damn I need to get my shit together for Tonatiuh! This looks gorgeous. do you get your textures from CGtextures.com?
    • CommentAuthorlhyh
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2015

Wow, thank you! And please don't worry, I have all of this backed up on my OneDrive.

^Yeah I do! But I usually touch them up somewhat in photoshop. Making them seamless, correcting color and contrast, generating heightmaps etc.

A new Olympus POV has been released, including a queue walkthrough and a music/athmosphere test. There are no scripted sound effects for now, but that will change in the future.
    Please tell me what you think of the music and overall athmosphere!

Olympus Queue Walkthrough and POV
    •  
      CommentAuthorPearman
    • CommentTimeMay 2nd 2015

Your project is just amazing. With Textures the theming looks much better than only white. Also the ride itself is just amazing. It's so smooth and you sometimes you just feel like flying over the landscape. I just love it <3
    • CommentAuthorlhyh
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2015

Hey, no big update here, I just wanted to show you the progress on the bungee drop on the side of the tower.

it will use LSMs instead of those big air tanks.

Video
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan

The drops seem way too controlled even for a S&S shot type of drop ride.
    • CommentAuthorMGrides

Nice! You can also use the BigShotScript .. from NL2 and tweak it to your needs. Maybe it´s the easier way ;) Just a tip!
    Doesn't Togofan always lighten up the day with constructive criticism!
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

@TOGO this isn't your usual drop tower. It is an Intamin bungee. Look up Mystery Castle at Phantasialand as it is the only one in existence as of now.
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan

i never knew there was a Intamin bungee ride. I knew about mystery castle but not that is was a Intamin bungee.
    • CommentAuthorsprog

Looks like great fun - I'm loving the theming and ideas you're throwing around with this ride!
    • CommentAuthorlhyh
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2015

Hey guys, I'm not dead yet!

Now with the recent Infinity-Coaster update I'm tempted to ditch the vertical lift concept, as it would simplify many things for me (train tunnel lighting, more accurate train position on track, simplified restraint animation etc.). A vertical lift in that form wasn't even realistic in the first place, since it doesn't increase the ride's capacity like Cannibal's lift. It's just a gimmick after all.
    I was thinking of replacing it with a Kärnan-style lift, similar and all with a surprise drop while climbing the lift.

So, please tell me, should I...

a) keep the lift or
    b) redo it Kärnan-style?

Responses are highly appreciated!

I have also decided to redo the whole track in FVD for various reasons, mainly roll pump issues. A nifty little program I wrote will help me with that, it converts a *.nl2elem file to a pointlist *.txt wich can be imported into FVD. Just message me if anyone wants to use it!

That's it for today, thanks!

A side note to Kyle Sloane: I know your comments are almost half a year old, but they still bug me to be honest. I know you probably had good intentions, but inside jokes and non-constructive criticism don't really help me. They're quite disheartening to be honest. Maybe I'm taking this too serious, I don't know. Just something I've had on my mind.
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

Keep the lift and you can also ditch the custom trains as well and use the new infinity style trains!
    • CommentAuthorlhyh

I'd really really love to do that - but right now it's not possible to have both a vertical lift like Cannibal, and to use the in-game trains, as there is no option to manually set the position of the in-game trains via scripting... A BIIIIIG point on my wishlist for future updates ;)
    I'd definitely say keep the lift, it is totally unique and awesome. Texture work looks amazing too by the way.

I'm glad you're choosing to completely redo the track as well, the roll pumps before the final brakes really stood out against the rest of the trackwork which was nicely done on the whole.
    One thing that bugged me was how slow the train is through that first turn onto the lift. I'd suggest speeding up the preceding transports a touch.

I'm intrigued to see how this project turns out, keep it up!
    • CommentAuthorsprog

Agreed, keep the lift as it is, it's really cool :)
    ^^^^The joke was just in reference to the common problem with ALL fvd coasters that if you bank before the inflection point of a hill it makes something like an rmc wave turn. DCS pointed it out to me as something on my rides multiple times over the years and I never knew what he was talking about, so that's why it's funny. I was being a little bit short with my comments so I apologize when I came off as rude. It has nothing to do with your FVD skill. In fact, the ability to go and make the exact fix necessary for that issue on the VERY FIRST TRY with hardly any explanation puts you lightyears ahead of me, who took years to figure it out.

Also keep the lift!
    I love this project, it's like a smaller version of terra! I have a question, are you planning on releasing the custom trains sooner or later?
    • CommentAuthorlhyh
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2015

@bigbrownbear: Thank you! Yeah the pumps were bad, they did result from unfortunate section splitting in FVD (the applied smoothing behaves weirdly if a sharp change in roll-rate happens near the borders of a section), and from a removal of a few roll nodes by accident, I'll make sure this won't happen again :P The speed was actually intentional, I personally hate coasters who push you violently out of the station, like the Winjas at Phantasialand for instance, so I tried to be as gentle as possible ;)

@Kyle Sloane: Wow, thanks for the kind words! I totally missed the point of your previous comments, I'm sorry... And I'm absolutely NOT ahead of you in FVD skills, I mean just look at your coasters, I'd be lying if I said I were not jealous of your talent and understanding of the different manufacturers' shaping. Speaking of that, would you be so kind and give me some feedback on my newest take on the first element? Everyone else is obviously invited too!

@BetaCoasters: Thanks, that's a huge compliment for me! My trains, the white ones in the first posts? No. They're scrapped, TheCodeMaster gave me his custom-made Infinity-Coaster trains to use! (Thank you Code, you rock!) You can check them out in the Intamin Bungee video, they're sneakily running their rounds on the track in the background ;)

Now, here's the reworked element. I've got two approaches now, actually.

a) Turning 180 degrees on the spot, with a directional change in the valley of the dive-loop thingy (still don't have a proper name - any suggestions?). Similar to the original reworked track, but not my favorite. The shaping is improved, though.

b) like a), just not turning as much, so that the track heads directly to the splashdown. There's a slight curve just before the splashdown, so that the track is aligned to the trench. Flows much better in my opinion.

blue wireframe track is version a), bordeaux track is version b), grey is the old track

my favorite version

comparison of the two

dive into the trench

I'm actually somewhat proud of the result, I think it's obviously an improvement, at least compared to the previous versions.

And I'll keep the lift, just so you know! Thanks for any input regarding that choice! There's still a problem with the sound (which is non-fixable I guess), but I'll manage that somehow.

That's it, any comment is appreciated! See you!
    I say the red one is the best ;)

Also hope that you make perfect Gerstlauer supports, if not im not happy xD