Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Hi! I thought it would be cool to have a thread where you list the scariest coasters/rides you've ridden. I'm an enthusiast, so this rarely happens to me but there are defiantly still some that absolutely scare me. I'll go first:

TTD
    Beast
    Any arrow looper (afraid of getting turned into a squashed grape from head banging.)
    el toro

Now you post away!

Note to staff-delete if this thread exists already
    First time on X2, Tatsu and Stealth.

and if drop towers count. Lex Luther scared me s***less.
    TTD for my first ride. That anticipation is the best part of the ride.
    Was terrified of Millennium Force. After I got off, I fell in love with gigas.
    Everything I rode before I was 14

and KingDa Ka.
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2015

Same with TheBeatles.

Acrophobia was probably the ride that scared me the most.
    I was pooping myself before I rode stealth for the first time. That's it really. Oh, and the height on shambhala on the first ride.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDonidia

Hurakan Condor was sh*t scary the first time I rode it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorggddffhh

Posted By: DonidiaHurakan Condor was sh*t scary the first time I rode it.

Agreed... Especially standing up!
    big one @ pleasure beach was hella scary for me for three reasons

1. height
    2. i thought i was going to fall out
    3. its an arrow hyper after all
    •  
      CommentAuthorhappyman

stealth. :D...

...But now I love it. :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorzampano
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2015 edited

Big Thunder Mountain, Paris when I was 8.
    Indiana Jones Backwards when I was 12.
    Expedition Geforce as my first Giga.
    I think Stealth as my first Top Hat Launcher.

Kingda Ka a little bit last year... But I'm basically and kind of sadly almost fearless in terms of rollercoasters by now ^^

I'm kind of scared on almost every freefall though no matter how often I ride :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorProjektion

^^^^^ It's still scary now. Intamin drop towers are the one ride I've never truly got over the fear. The height of them is no problem, it's the moment it goes "kchunck" and the freefall takes over that almost always brings out the fear.

As I mentioned in the first inversion thread, it was the (Irn bru) Revolution at Blackpool back when I was younger. It was going to be my first inversion, but I wimped out since it being a shuttle coaster scared me (the fact that the track would just end in front of you before you went backwards). Dragon Khan also scared the crap out of me when I was younger to (that roar).
    •  
      CommentAuthorviking86

There are still a few rides that make me a little nervous, particularly drop towers, but for rides that actually scared me I have to go back to my early days of coaster riding.

Thundercoaster in 2002
    Stunt Fall in 2003
    Intamin Drop Tower at Terra Mitica in 2003 (my first drop tower ride, dont know the name)
    • CommentAuthorInkyz

Apocalypse @ Drayton Manor.
    Oblivion @ Alton Towers.

That's it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorintim305

i haven't had that many, but a lot when i was younger. shockwave at KD was a first, volcano and flight of fear terrified me as well (and the crypt/ drop zone ect...) but as for now, its just some of the really rough woodies (because ow) and TTD first ride and I305 first ride (you still get that feeling in the line for i305 though)
    •  
      CommentAuthoriSatnav

First time on Saw. The jigsaw fella used to terrify me. Never had problems with anything track-based, however.
    • CommentAuthorInkyz

^ I'm afraid of going on Saw because of the indoor part and the beyond vertical drop.
    •  
      CommentAuthoriSatnav

^Those bits are nothing. If this is you saying you won't ride it, then just do it. The best way to get over that kind of fear is just to do it.
    • CommentAuthorInkyz

^ Well, honestly, I was afraid of the drop until I rode Oblivion a while back. I've kind of got over it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani

Super Railway (Palliet) because it has no restraints and some close(?) to 0g humps.

Cobra - Conny Land - because it's a pax coaster and it was obvious from looking at the rails that the ride will be painful. :P
    My first coaster! Still it was a wild mouse but it anyway scared me.
    Also, I forgot skyrush
    •  
      CommentAuthorBolt789

My first coaster, Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (now one of my favourites) at WDW Orlando.

First ride on Leviathan at CW

First ride on Dragon Fire at CW - before I rode it and realized inversions are nothing, the thought of going upside down seemed quite intimidating.

I still have yet to ride TTD this summer, I'm already freaking out about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDonidia

Also when I visited Blackpool Pleasure Beach for the first time, I rode the wild mouse.

The amount of times you come out your seat and slam into the sides.

...such an awesome ride though.
    • CommentAuthornesdude

My first ride on Outlaw Run in the back car was the first time in a long time ejector air was so powerful I truly didn't think the restraint would hold me. It was the drop/turn that goes under the lift hill. I rode it 8 or 9 more times in the back and every single time that moment filled me with intense fear, something I haven't had on a roller coaster in a long time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

^Outlaw Run was terrifying the first time I rode it as it was my first inversion with lapbars! I only got one ride on it then it broke down and remained broken the next day we visited.

Posted By: Bolt789
    First ride on Leviathan at CW

I remember my first ride on Levi like it was yesterday. I remember being terrified as you could see all the way to downtown Toronto from the top and I was hyperventilating, but the floater on that first drop was insane.

I will be riding Superman Escape From Krypton and Lex Luthor this August and I'm already terrified.
    • CommentAuthorDecept
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2015

Corkscrew at Valleyfair was my first rollercoaster ever (this was before Wild Thing was built). Took my family the entire day to convince me to ride it. I was scared shitless the entire day, and then the entire first ride up the lift. After riding it, I immediately regretted wasting the whole day being scared of it. Unfortunately my first ride on it was our last ride of the day :(

That experience taught me to never think twice about riding a rollercoaster.

Since then, my first ride on Steel Venom was my first Intamin experience. Sitting in the front seat and experiencing the hold brake on the back tower scared me shitless. Thoughts of the restraint failing, the feeling of resting on your stomach facing the ground, no where to brace with your feet, etc. Generally terrifying for a high schooler who had only ever been to Valleyfair and Six Flags Great America at that point.

Most recently, Goliath at Six Flags Great America was frightening. That was the first rollercoaster I had ridden in years, and was my first (and to this point, only) RMC experience. The drop from the front seat was insane, and the zero-g stall with only a lap bar was psychotic. But fuck that ride is fantastic.

In two weeks I head to SFGAm, Cedar Point, SFGAv, and Hersheypark. I know TTD and Kingda Ka will scare me for sure, and depending on if I ride it first, Millenium Force likely will as it will be the tallest ride I've ridden. After that, and after everything I have read, I anticipate Skyrush will scare the shit out of me as well. We'll see...

Ride of Steel at Darien Lake was pretty scary as a kid, the 45 seconds from station to the drop were awful but after that it was amazing, now I operate it :). Opening day at DL is Saturday for anyone looking to waste their time and money lol.
    Viper was the same way as well until I realized inversions aren't so bad...
    • CommentAuthornannerdw
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2015 edited

i305
    I was afraid of greying out (which I did). I had my hands up around the first turn and closed my eyes, and definitely never felt like I was losing consciousness, so it wasn't too bad. Grey-outs are pretty much the only thing that still scares me on rides. I never look forward to going on old Vekoma and Arrow loopers either, but it's more pre-regret than fear.

I would probably also be afraid to ride anything that has the potential to strand riders upside-down, like coasters with inverting lift hills that can e-stop upside down without rolling back to a "lying on your back" position. I can't handle extended hangtime for more than like 10 seconds.
    • CommentAuthorBrawly

Any SLC.
    ^ xD

For me, I think T Express was the ride that scared me the most because it was my first real experience with real airtime. Before riding I had never experienced "true" airtime, only short pops of floater airtime on some smaller coasters. The very idea of feeling like you were going to come out of your seat terrified me, but when I finally got on I realized that I loved the sensation of airtime!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

Goliath at Six flags New England (Deja Vu at SFMM) Definitely got me nervous, mainly because the first time I rode it I was in the back row... and MAN is that thing taller than it looks!
    (It's also extremely rough ever since they added a new train)

Another one was Kingda Ka, the anticipation for the launch is unbearable for anyone's first ride.

If this one counts, Tower of Terror until I was 7 was always a no go.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcrider4

Python at BGT actually. My second real coaster (first was Gwazi and it didn't exactly make too great of an impression :P) and it terrified me. After I finally got the guts to ride it once, it got closed down before I ever got to ride it again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorstejorin

Rockin rollercoaster when I was 7 and an BEYOND INSANE run on Green lantern: First flight going up the lift hill (we were flat on our stomachs it was so unbalanced)
    EDIT:
    Also any ride on viper, I'm scared I'm going to get knocked out by a bad head slam
    ^ I remember that GL:FF run. I think my legs still hurt...
    I'm taking back my words said above. The coaster that scared me was Kanonen Liseberg. My first coasters with a launch.
    Now launch coasters are one of my favorite coasters.
    • CommentAuthorInkyz

My first coaster with a launch was Rita. Not the best, not the worst. The launch is a good example of intense.
    • CommentAuthordanball

Pretty much all drop towers make me poo myself. I loved Apocalypse at Drayton Manor the first time I went on it, but now you have to drag me on and I whimper the whole ride. I can't imagine trying to ride Lex Luthor. G-Force also scared me because on the lift hill loop, my hip restraint felt like it was loosening.
    I always get chills up my spine when I'm next in line for Flight of Fear at Kings Island. It's just so loud and intimidating, though I do enjoy the ride.
    Well if we'll count drop towers those are the most terrifying rides ever IMO! The most terrified I've ever been before riding any ride I've ever ridden was the drop tower at my home park, EKStreme @ Enchanted Kingdom. That drop still gets me every time. Tower of Terror @ Tokyo DisneySea is a close second (The theming is not only unbelievably amazing, but it adds to the fear too!), followed by Gyro Drop @ Lotte World. I cannot even imagine how terrifying Falcon's Fury would be for me.
    I haven't ride any drop towers. And I never will.
    Can't blame you, AtmosFear looks insanely tall! :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorChukensky

Jubilee odyssey, excessively huge
    Posted By: JL NoLimitsI haven't ride any drop towers. And I never will.

you should try one. Lex luthor is now my favourite ride of all time, and I was terrified to ride it and still am xD
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc

^Seconded. Drop towers are the only "flat ride" I ever bother with. The free-fall is amazing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPearman

^I didn't tried a drop tower yet, but Bungee Towers are nearly the same and (in my opinion) more awesomer, like Mystery Castle at Phantasialand.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

Oooow drop towers are different than Bungee drops. ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorBolt789

I've approached CW's Drop Zone multiple times with the intention of finally conquering it, only to go "screw it" at the last minute and wind up riding Wild Beast or The Bat instead :P
    •  
      CommentAuthordapalm

It's curious how many people is scared by drop towers. I love them, the beauty ascent to the top enjoying the views followed by the exhilarating drop. The higher, the better both parts get. What's what you fear about them? Tower of Terror is probably my favorite ride, although you lose the views the drop secuence is outstanding. Wish my home's elevator would do the same...