Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorBolt789
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2015

I have a fear of heights, other than that I'd probably give them a go.
    •  
      CommentAuthorUncleArly

After not riding Oblivion for a while, I always get that 'oh shit, what have I done?' on the holding break.

Not quite a coaster, but Pirate Ships scare the shit out of me and I can't ride them. Anything else though, come at me, bro!
    • CommentAuthorInkyz

^ The Bounty at Drayton is the best in the UK.
    •  
      CommentAuthoriSatnav

^^That time I first rode Sheikra front row... Throughly recommend it, by the way!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorganFan

I was never really scared of roller coasters, but riding TTD for the first time, and being in the front row, was VERY intimidating. I do remember being scared on the log flume at Mall of America because that drop is steep as hell! And lastly, being locked into one of those drop-capsule water slides made me kinda go "oh-shit!" It was one of the only times I've been claustrophobic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorHZGarfield

Last row of Family Inverted Coaster´╝î It feels fierce for a Family Coaster
    •  
      CommentAuthoriSatnav

The log flume at Parc Asterix didn't scare me as much as it did take me by surprise. In an indoor section, there is an airtime hill. And the ride has absolutely no restraints. Let's just say me and my schoolmates taught the French people some particularly loud English swears.
    •  
      CommentAuthorggddffhh

I was pretty scared when my restraint came out of its lock on Nemesis last year. Thankfully the seat belt stopped it from coming all the way up. I was able to click it back down but it was still scary nonetheless
    •  
      CommentAuthorUncleArly

Posted By: Inkyz^ The Bounty at Drayton is the best in the UK.

Yes, but also terrifying :p

It might be down the the fact I was stung by a wasp in the mouth on Black Buccaneer (Chessington) on a school trip in 2003 :( Ruined my day and now I don't like Pirate Ships :(
    • CommentAuthorsprog

As others have said, Hurakan Condor, standing side. Absolutely terrifying first time around. Never been scared of a ride until I was at the top of that tower and genuinely thought "I have no way out of this other than down"

Then got off, ran straight back round to the single rider line and got back on again five times in a row.
    My mate who came with me? His words were "Never again."
    Posted By: UncleArlyAfter not riding Oblivion for a while, I always get that 'oh shit, what have I done?' on the holding break.

I got that on, griffon too!
    •  
      CommentAuthorm_haugh16

I was pretty much terrified of coasters until I was like 13, and I'm pretty much scared of getting whiplash on any launched coaster because I always forget to put my head back and then I'm in pain for a few weeks. But in general I still get terrified riding TTD and I still hate drop towers but I ride them anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBirdNerd
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2015 edited

Out of my 48 ridden coasters so far, Kingda Ka was the scariest ride that I have experienced. I rode it back in 2010, not knowing what a launched roller coaster really felt like. As for my first-ever launcher, I had no idea what to expect, and I don't think that I have been so scared before in my lifetime. After realizing how short it was at the end, I still to this day think that it's the most intense half-a-minute that I have ever experienced! Riding Stormrunner at Hershey in 2013 felt like a piece of cake in comparison lol, not to mention pretty much every other roller coaster after that!
    • CommentAuthorBrawly
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2015

I loved TTD, rode it like 3 times in a row, twice of which in front row (yay single rider). The only rides that truly scare me are the ones where I know I might get sick/get a headache (SLCs, old PTCs/GCIs, some flat rides). I'm also terrified of heights, so I'm not a huge fan of drop towers, but I'll ride them without a doubt.
    • CommentAuthorElvenage

I had a pretty general fear of coasters when I was young, mostly because I didn't understand how they worked, but after someone showed me they won't fly off the tracks, it was no big deal, until Millennium Force. Being in Florida, we don't really have a big selection of lap bar rides, almost everything is OTSR's. So climbing up 300 ft with nothing bug that tiny piece of foam/plastic and 4" of seatbelt had me terrified. But only once. After that, nbd.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix

I used to be scared by like every coaster, even a Wild Mouse at my local funfair. My first visit of Europa-Park back in 2008 helped me tremendously to recognize the fun you can get out of coasters. The only time I was a little scared after riding Silver Star for the first time actually was my first ride on Fluch von Novgorod since I didn't know at all what to expect.
    • CommentAuthorJetPulse

I went on the Scooby-Doo coaster at King's Dominion on my 3rd birthday and absolutely hated it. Completely terrified of rollercoasters and never rode another one for several years (or so I'm told. Too young to really remember). The first ride I remember riding was SooperDooperLooper at Hershey park several years later (terrified out of my mind but had to be brave in front of all my older cousins). Turned out that I loved it and have gotten excited about every coaster I have ridden since.

Also love drop towers. I used to get a little nervous about them, but not anymore. I love that freefall sensation. Hopefully, I'm gonna get around to going skydiving in the next few months as a gift to myself for getting a PhD.

As for my most terrifying rollercoaster experience, that goes to a ride on Apollo's Chariot at Busch Gardens. When the op pushed on my lapbar, it must have settled right on the tip of the ratchets. When I went over the first drop and my body pushed against the lap bar, the restraint popped up to settle into the looser position. Completely safe, but scared the s*** out of me for a split second. Don't think I've ever brought my hands back down to grab the harness that fast...ever.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

California Screamin, it was my first looping coaster back then.
    Saw, but that's because the movies were fairly scary to me and so the theming bought back a few memories and bought back sleepless nights lol.

Im actually going to have to agree with the whole pirate ship thing. I think its because I always sit with a larger person the stops the lap bar coming anywhere close to feel safe. I also find them very nauseating. Much more than any coaster does.
    •  
      CommentAuthorProjektion

^^^
    I've had that happen to me before on Shambhala. I had my hands up as we were going over one of the airtime hills and the restraint popped up a notch, and given that this happened not long after the Texas giant incident, it absolutely terrified me. I know I was completely safe, but that was probably the one time where the fear of something completely overruled the logic in my brain.
    No rides really scare me anymore. Drop towers used to get me all nervous and tingly at the top waiting for it to drop. But now after conquering Zumanjaro like 109832x I'm so used to it, it doesn't even bother me.

I can't think of anything that scares me now. I get a little uneasy when I ride Stinger at my local carnival, but only when they hold us at the top upside down because you can feel it shaking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JzmwEJ24kKE
    I feel like drop towers that hold you up at the top for more than 5 seconds are so much more effective, regardless of the height. Not knowing when the drop will come is often scarier than the actual drop, or at least on par. I feel like there are some cool possibilities designers haven't tapped into with drop towers.
    I feel the ones that drop immediatly but have those view blockers are the best. That way it keeps the tension for most of the ride.
    •  
      CommentAuthormcrc.2305
    • CommentTimeMay 6th 2015

why is everyone so scared of drop towers. i went on my first one last year when i was 12 (detonator at thorpe park) and thought it was amazing. also i ride a intamin drop tower a few months later.

they are over in a few seconds which makes them less scary for me
    • CommentAuthorInkyz

^ I'm 11 and I've been on Apocalypse @ Drayton twice. Two of the best experiences I've ever had.
    •  
      CommentAuthoriSatnav

^When I was that age, I had been on Detonator a few times and Dr Dooms Fearfall several times. Drop towers are epic.
    • CommentAuthorsprog

Posted By: mcrc.2305why is everyone so scared of drop towers. i went on my first one last year when i was 12 (detonator at thorpe park) and thought it was amazing. also i ride a intamin drop tower a few months later.

Detonator = Sat down, 35m tall, relatively quick climb.
    Hurakan Condor = Standing, floorless, tilts out so you're looking down before the drop, 100m tall.

The difference in height and ride experience impacts greatly on how terrifying the ride is.
    •  
      CommentAuthoriSatnav

^And that, sir, is why I can't wait until I ride Falcon's Fury.
    • CommentAuthorsprog

^ Likewise, hopefully going back to Florida next year and I'll be running straight to it as soon as I get in the park.
    •  
      CommentAuthoriSatnav

^That and Sheikra. Best rides there, I reckon.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcrider4
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2015

^^The back half of the park (pretty much everything except for Montu and Cheetah Hunt) opens 30 minutes after the park does, so if you get there at opening, you probably won't be running straight there unless you want to camp out in front of it for 30 minutes.
    TTD is still scary.

Also first time on MF at night, station music made me super nervous.
    •  
      CommentAuthormcrc.2305

Posted By: sprog
    Posted By: mcrc.2305why is everyone so scared of drop towers. i went on my first one last year when i was 12 (detonator at thorpe park) and thought it was amazing. also i ride a intamin drop tower a few months later.

Detonator = Sat down, 35m tall, relatively quick climb.
    Hurakan Condor = Standing, floorless, tilts out so you're looking down before the drop, 100m tall.

The difference in height and ride experience impacts greatly on how terrifying the ride is.

yeah, but the ride is over quickly. people can ride roller coasters 100m tall, but wont ride drop tower the same height. yes the standing makes it scarier but the putting it at an angle is similar to the drops on roller coasters
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

Its partially the fact there is no track around you, and often times less around you car wise. Also, you don't always know when the drop is coming, and we do on roller coasters.
    •  
      CommentAuthorProjektion

Aside from that, Drop towers kind of tap into that natural fear of falling. I'm fine with most drop towers, but it's that first moment where the free fall takes over that gets me.
    • CommentAuthormrfeeny
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2015

Posted By: iSatnav^And that, sir, is why I can't wait until I ride Falcon's Fury.

I just rode that on spring break a month ago and oh my! As someone who almost never gets scared anymore, that was pretty nerve-racking. All I could think of was that if this restraint opens, (pretty much impossible I know) I'm a dead man. Other than that the last time I was really scared was in my young teens before going on Millennium Force in the mid 2000's. Oh now that I think of it, Demons Drop freaked me out a little, it just looked so old and sketchy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBolt789
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2015

All these horror stories about TTD...I think I'd better stop checking this thread until after my CP visit
    •  
      CommentAuthorjamiechi
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2015

Last time I rode any coasters was the Millenium celebration (2000) at Disneyworld in Florida. Due to my fear of heights, the Tower of Terror was the scariest ride ever. Next up was Space Mountain. With the abrupt side forces and apparent lack of maintenance, it was pretty scary. I was constantly worried about being thrown from the car. It was the most physically uncomfortable ride I have ever been on. (Speaking of general poor maintenance, this was the worst condition of Disneyworld I have ever seen.)
    First times on Oblivion and Stealth (somehow I don't remember being that scared on the Rock 'n' Roller Coaster in 2006, which was the first launch coaster I went on, but I might have been). The first time I did TH13TEEN's drop sequence was pretty scary too, simply because I wasn't expecting it to be so loud and sudden, as well as the indoor portion of Saw: The Ride for the first few times I went on it (I didn't like horror movies back then).
    Apart from that, everything else is/was always just fun (as for most coaster enthusiasts).
    •  
      CommentAuthorR3 Studios

I was scared of all coasters as a kid (up until about 5 years ago, I'll admit), including the Phantom's Revenge. But once my friends finally convinced me to ride it (in the front seat at night, somehow), I instantly fell in love with coasters. And if flat rides count too - I'm still terrified of the Black Widow at Kennywood, even after riding it many times. The experience is awesome, but that thing breaks down every other cycle!
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

My first time on Bizarro was horrifying. The entire way up I was hyperventilating and screaming and cursing at my friends for bringing me on it. After the first drop, however, I was no longer scared and this event really sparked my love for rollercoasters.
    El Toro caught me off guard the first time riding. After we detached from the lift and started picking up speed around the turn I then understood what I was about to feel and what negative G's are. Being from southern California where in only the past few years have we gotten any kind of attraction that provides fairly understandable amounts of negative G's, I had not experienced it prior. I was really surprised at what negative G's feel like across your body. My head felt like all the blood rushed to it like you would when you hang upside down.

Another on was Freefall at magic mountain. Intamin 1st gen drop towers really gave you the feels and nerves. It felt really unsafe and just something about it didnt feel right.