Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Hey guys, JetstreamCoasters here.

I'm a relatively new member of the forums, commenting and contributing here and there, but I decided it's time to start my own thread to throw my projects into for your critique and enjoyment.

Just so it's not an empty post I'll kick things off with my most recent project, The Hunt. This coaster was for the Build It! competition hosted by thecreatorslounge.com that went on this April, and we were challenged to build a roller coaster with the word "disaster" in mind. This coaster is some of my best work.

Its a dual-launched wing coaster that I really decided to take to the next level. I included a few never-before-seen-elements, such as a 250ish-degree-helix-combo-zero-G-roll (a mouthful I know), and a cobra roll. Its also the first coaster that I made customized 3DS for, and though it's relatively simple, I think it really adds to the environment. I was planning on adding more details (ride-op box, ride info/signs, etc) but I ran out of time to do so before the submissions were due. Anyways, I've included some images and a link to the video below.

The Hunt Video

I'll upload it to the exchange if people want to try it out, but for now I'm moving on to other things.
    Since no one responded to my post about the Hunt yet, I might as well show you guys something that I'm actually working on.
    Clicky
    I've been experimenting with GCI shaping, but I don't think its quite "snappy" enough, considering I'm only getting barely-above floater G's. What do you guys think? What needs improving?
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2015

Can you upload it to steam workshop?
    ^^That is a very nice section of layout. I would personally agree with what you said, make it a bit snappier and add some weird GCI quirks to it. Maybe a slight curve to the right before the left turn, giving some lats?
    • CommentAuthorInkyz
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2015

that looks really awesome!

also, you spelled your username wrong in the thread topic, lol
    Becuase this got buried by a debate on the "What did you just do in NoLimits" Thread, I figured I'd just throw it here.

I'm making a 2000's era Intamin Mega, would like some feedback on the lift hill and the drop. Due to lack of scripting knowledge, its an 8mph chain lift hill, rather than a cable, and currently stands at just over 240 feet tall (top speed just over 80mph).

I know some of you can be picky on Intamin lift hills, so pick away. Hows my shaping?

(click for a larger image)
    Lol, I don't know whether I just happened to make a project thread really similar to yours or you just edited it to look the same :P
    Anyway, I love your wing coaster. As for the lift, I thought someone did help you. They said the top was too flat with an i305 example and then you showed an updated one which looked better. If not then it must have been someone else with a coincidentally similar case.
    ^nope that was definitely someone else. I just started this coaster today, and I think the project you are referring to happened a few weeks ago. Might have been similar though, so don't sweat it :)

And I agree, out threads bear remarkable resemblance...
    i didn't even see this one - maybe I glimpsed at it and got the title vaguely in my head. Fairly logical name and content anyway.

And in that case, if it's meant to be like Millennium Force then it's pretty much there (maybe make the crest a little shorter). If it's meant to be like i305 then the crest should be quite a lot shorter, although it doesn't look like that's what you were going for, so the former is probably for you ;)
    I have enough of these photos, I figured I wouldn't drown the other thread.

I've been working on a Miller-era wooden coaster, complete with awkward banking and plenty of lats. Ignore the supports, as they're just the auto-wooden supports, as I will eventually go back and heavily modify them. Here's some shots, and if anyone has feedback, I'll be glad to take it.

Note: choices in the layout are intentional. For example, there is a stretch of straight track in between the last two airtime hills (as seen in the first picture). THIS IS INTENTIONAL. I thought it gave the coaster a little more personality and therefore a little awkwardness. Please do not point it out as if I hadn't noticed it, or as if it was some kind of lapse in my design.

Here are some photos:

General overview

Layout in profile

Top View

The turnarounds

Headchoppers Galore (Yes, I see that it is wildly undersupported, this will be fixed)

Another Layout shot

And now a glamour shot

Any feedback is appreciated!
    It's nice, good work. I couldn't help but think of roller coaster tycoon looking at it, though. That last picture would be great for Screen Shot Saturday.
    Well, idk about any coasters in RTC3, but being a huge fan of RCT2 I agree! It is not supposed to be an advanced or complicated layout, just a boardwalk style coaster inspired very heavily by Giant Dipper @ Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk.
    I didn't think of rct until I read Archy's comment but I see it now haha. It looks very nice! Really simple and charming, for lack of a better word.
    *blows dust off thread*

Might as well jump right back into things!

Introducing my latest project, an Intamin Hyper Coaster inspired by all of the greats: Expedition GeForce, Bizarro, MF, etc. Trackwork is done, and supports are about 90% done (I'm still adding flanges). At this point I'm working on scenery and environment, which I'm trying to make as custom as possible. I'll probably release this environment soon because I like it so much, and if there are people that want it.

This is a project that I'm determined to finish, mostly because I spent so much time on the trackwork that I had to do it justice and give the coaster a place to live.

But enough chit chat, lets get to some images.

Polaris

Custom water texture!

First overbank and ejector airtime hill.

Had to get creative with lift supports, each of the real life hypers have a different style.

Progress on the station

And now for some glamour shots:

As always, feedback is appreciated! Check back soon for more updates!
    • CommentAuthorInkyz
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2015

Holy, this looks brilliant!
    From what I can see, the layout looks good. The shaping however looks like it lacks finesse, which usually results in a ride that seems more drawn-out than it should be. That 5th picture in particular is awesome though.
    • CommentAuthornSeven

From riding it myself I can add that it doesn't lack snap - it's actually one of my favorite designs out right now.
    • CommentAuthorHarmL98

So far it looks great! Really like the layout for so far I see haha!
    Very realistic. Look forward for the updates!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDC High Heat
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2015 edited

nSeven, It doesn't have to necessarily just be banking. For example, often (usually?) banking transitions on Intamins lower forces during the quickest part of the rotation. One of the most common things one sees on Newton tracks (and even sometimes handbuilt ones, but not so much as an unchecked byproduct of the program itself) is that the designer hits a certain positive force and just leaves it there while they do things with the banking. I can see that style on the first overbank. Also in this case, maybe the speed means the rolling isn't too drawn out, but where are the small undulations and changes in banking rates you see on pretty much every major Intamin since 2001? Those are the details to which I'm referring.

Simplifying and speaking in general, if you have 1 smooth bank from 0 to 120 starting from the bottom of a pullout and ending at the very top of an overbank, and your forces either stay constant or smoothly go from 4 to 2 over the same section, chances are you're missing a lot of finesse that could make your ride stand out as being especially realistic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

That turn around the tower (last shot) reminds me of Lisebergbanan! It's in a good shape to become one of my favorite NL2 project as well, the layout seems solid and the excecution brilliant.
    Funny; I'm also working on an Intamin Mega as well..

So far things look good; no noticeable issues. however, in the 4th image the centre beam looks like it clips through the track connector. You might want to move & lower it to fix that.
    Posted By: DC High HeatnSeven, It doesn't have to necessarily just be banking. For example, often (usually?) banking transitions on Intamins lower forces during the quickest part of the rotation. One of the most common things one sees on Newton tracks (and even sometimes handbuilt ones, but not so much as an unchecked byproduct of the program itself) is that the designer hits a certain positive force and just leaves it there while they do things with the banking. I can see that style on the first overbank. Also in this case, maybe the speed means the rolling isn't too drawn out, but where are the small undulations and changes in banking rates you see on pretty much every major Intamin since 2001? Those are the details to which I'm referring.

Simplifying and speaking in general, if you have 1 smooth bank from 0 to 120 starting from the bottom of a pullout and ending at the very top of an overbank, and your forces either stay constant or smoothly go from 4 to 2 over the same section, chances are you're missing a lot of finesse that could make your ride stand out as being especially realistic.

I know exactly what you mean. I studied as many mounted POV's of real Intamin Mega's as were available, and tried my best to recreate those roll transition quirks. The best example I could find is Expedition GeForce's first overbank, and I tried to model my first overbank to do the same thing...and completely failed! I redid that turn three or four times and just couldn't get it to ride right. So, I used a little imagination, made the turn a bit tighter and snappier, and this is what I got:

The First Overbank POV

At this point, I'm completely happy with it and don't plan on changing a thing. Yes, its not 100% accurate to Intamin shaping, but I think it would be dang fun if it were built, simply because its a smooth, fast-paced, and forceful element. I'm not trying to bash on your comments--I'm actually really happy that someone pointed it out--but I would like to let you know that I did what I could.

Thank you all for the responses! I look forward to more as this project progresses :)
    Jetstream.... This ride is just gorgeous. 3 thumbs up!
    Just a quick update for you guys today.

Because my modeling program was giving me grief I decided to start with the simple things and work on the Polaris sign and cartexture, which are now both finished. If you have any feedback, let me know!

Also, a quick survey for you all!

I've got this big empty space that Polaris travels around, and originally I had a drop tower to occupy the middle of it. But I thought was kind of weird because I'm not making a full blown park, so I tried out the S&S Power Tower ride thing (pictured) but I'm not a huge fan of that either.

Basically: What should I do with this space? Should I include a ride here? The area has amazing views of Polaris (not pictured because I don't want to give away the layout just yet) and will be nice and shady once I put all of the trees/foliage in. The area also borders a lake, and because of all these reasons, I'm thinking about including a picnic area or pavilion for relaxing, with the entrance to the coaster being around the corner. Thoughts?

The area in question:

Let me know what you guys think! :)
    Poler Coaster
    Looks Fantastic, maybe you can do some Picknick Tables or Benches.
    Maybe twin S&S towers? I think the tower idea looks good, but it's a bit barren with all that space around it, maybe a second could help that.
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2015

Do not use the s&s towers that come with the game since you can hear the very annoying air sound from anywhere in the park. I delete the ride when i download parks with that ride.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjamiechi

A food court with tables and benches. And balloons.
    Here's what you do. In the bottom right corner, should there be enough space, make a nice small to medium sized food place. Add tables and chairs and that stuff up and left from that location. Nothing special, just 2 to 3 tables. Center the S&S tower from there and add a nice circle queue around it. A few garbage cans and benches to fill the rest of the space. if there's any extra room, add like a small vendor cart of gifts or food. if you can find small shrubs or plants, plant the area. make it feel wooded, but not overly done where you can't make out the coaster.

Extra bonus. Take the wonderful wooden coaster mentioned up above previously and add that right around where the first turn around off of the drop is. Pair it up near the water for a nice classic vibe mixed with 20th century look. Keep the classic american color feel, but change this to make it better: Rails color them a red color, slightly faded; handrails keep blue color, catwalks make them into a dull brownish gray. I used Racer @Kings Island for a good color reference. one red train, one blue. Name Patriot or Eagle sound fine to me. Boom now you've got a nice little park going.
    • CommentAuthorWomp83

Could you stick a big gazebo in the middle of that open space?
    This project (miraculously) did not die!

https://gyazo.com/067fbd078324455be135812120d48314

Pretty big update for you guys today! There's a whole lotta showin' to do, but not a whole lotta tellin'. Basically, I'm just about done with Polaris. I finished the station and queue, redid the cartexture, added surrounding trees, rocks, and plants, did some more work with textures, made custom grass, made the double S&S Power Tower, and added generic scenery.

I still have to fix a couple things... My custom grass makes the park crash every time I try to close it. I also hope to give the double Power Towers a little bit more love, maybe a sign and a basic queue. But mostly I've been working on my Roundup 100 video. Now that I'm past that, I'm working on the finishing touches and then I'll release it! But for now, let's get to some images.

https://gyazo.com/f6f5bff0e02e3c66b23519db57a01db2
    https://gyazo.com/87295cee69c07477a5d16ebaa51c231e
    https://gyazo.com/1ccddbdc5eb32f1d8a305ca7e9198f44
    https://gyazo.com/940c62ceb315b2dff7a380bb06179a3c
    https://gyazo.com/ec9e539329fff37d05650cc01bda73a4
    https://gyazo.com/f4062ea64edbc13c2a7188656b07fbbb
    https://gyazo.com/f27e3d5f456918834ca51b03fec74116
    https://gyazo.com/043f67456ebd91aed59a1cddf28df1b1

Check back soon for an update on my latest coaster in FVD++!
    Sorry for the double post, I guess I was hoping I'd get some comments on Polaris...

But anyway! As I mentioned in the WDYJDINL Thread, I recently finished my first complete coaster in FVD++.

I take no credit for the layout of this coaster. It is simply a recreation of Intim305's Megarush Concept, which can be found here. I thought the layout of this coaster was absolutely fantastic, but thought that hand-building just didn't do it justice. So, I asked him if I could have a copy of his coaster to recreate it in FVD++, and this was the result. Overall I'm pretty happy with it, and learned a lot about the program (still have a long ways to go though).

I did make a couple of key changes Intim305's design. I mirrored the coaster, widened the lift crest, made the transitions more crisp, used the Modern Double Spine, and completely changed the ending. That being said, this project wouldn't be here if it wasnt for the original concept. Thanks Intim305!

Those of you who are confident with FVD++ *cough cough 6FlagsManiac, Projektion, Kyle Sloane, etc cough cough*, I would hugely appreciate it if you took a look at my POV and gave me some pointers. I think I'm getting more comfortable with the program, but still have no idea how to do certain things (i.e. wing-over drops, dive coaster drops, or Intamin top hats), and would appreciate any tips!

Click on the image below to see a POV
    https://gyazo.com/731705b8138d86d645d90d729c32db6c
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2016

Polaris is just awesome, the station and queue line area is wonderful.

The Mega Rush has a really solid layout (kudos to Intim305), and is pleasent to look at: see the two turns at the foreground in the pic above, yummy! However I think the double spine is a little bit too much. Maybe keep it for the drop, first turn, camel back, second turn and then switch to single spine? I don't know, you tell me.

Anyways, keep up the great job
    •  
      CommentAuthorintim305
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2016

Thanks for redoing this! when I made it originally it was just a layout concept, and happened to be free when I decided to make a video. You've worked out many of the issues with the original (the lift shaping, the noticeable pumping, the lift spine, the oversized brake run, the horrible supports...). the new colors look fantastic and it looks a lot better with the double spine and rocket trains than it ever did with the Gerstlauer track. Thank you it looks fantastic!
    Ok, I'm in love with the MegaRush now!! Super smooth and fluid, except for some reason the pacing of the original version was better IMO. Probably just the 60fps.
    Thanks for all the comments regarding the MegaRush! I'll be sure to keep you all updated as the project progresses.

As a side note, now that the winners for Roundup 100 have been revealed, I made my video public. Even though my video did not get a mention, I still really enjoyed the competition and am happy with my work.

My Polaris video can be viewed here. As usual, feel free to drop a like or comment. I'm always willing to hear how I can improve.
    Polaris is now available to download!

Click the image below to grab your copy of Polaris, my entry for the 100th Roundup a few weeks back.

As always, feel free to drop a rate, or leave a comment here in the thread. I love hearing what you guys think about my projects!

https://gyazo.com/359317b43a6955817ed53124ec100e39

And of course, feel free to check out my entry for the 100th Roundup.
    the download doesnt work... any other download?
    •  
      CommentAuthorlamewad
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2016

Do the devs of NLE need help? I am a professional web developer and would love to get the site working again.

Could you give us a link somewhere else in the meantime, would love to try out this coaster.
    Ah shoot, I thought it had worked. Ah well, I uploaded it to Dropbox and updated the link. Feel free to leave a rate here in the thread if it doesn't let you on NLE! Thanks for the interest in the project! :)
    wow, i was really impressed by this! trackwork was stellar, supporting was believable and the environment was really well done! definitely one of my favourite generic nl2 coasters out there, good job!
    • CommentAuthorSvatlas
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2016

I agree with coasterguy. This coaster is really great. The scenery matched with the coaster and also the performance is nice. Good job
    https://gyazo.com/c8284275382412e12dd5b4606b308992

I've hinted a couple of times with this project and figured I might as well actually show you all what I'm doing... Introducing NOVA: a custom B&M Sitdown coaster.

This coaster was primarily inspired by Time Machine (aka Led Zeppelin the Ride). I changed up the layout quite a bit, but kept very true to B&M style, though it is still definitely an out-and-back looper on the edge of a lake.

My second goal with this coaster was a unique one. Being a photography enthusiast, I had a goal to design what I thought was a very photogenic coaster, one that looked good from most, if not all, angles. Far too many coasters here on the forums have incredible layouts but just don't...look very good.

Also, I took the opportunity to learn how to shape B&M inversions with FVD++, and I'm very happy with the result.

But enough blabbing, take a look at some screenshots:
    https://gyazo.com/f5dd379a65ccbafa558c0c99bd0bed12
    https://gyazo.com/3198d516cf123e810c109db803728f00
    https://gyazo.com/bdd60091c823a9593d7a2143ea98b922
    https://gyazo.com/68bcb22c253e5d5eb89ea97de62242a4
    https://gyazo.com/0ff18b965b2a0eaed1190d2128221b3f
    https://gyazo.com/a6328898f78ed03ce771375d84e63c99
    https://gyazo.com/34f31da00d855aa2731dcba3dda91831
    https://gyazo.com/09d8058ba944cdcdc3d2181b1826aece
    https://gyazo.com/98b58d91b7903f095f99d2ce9dedf91a
    https://gyazo.com/6bc44d80294815bb0c83d8459c622aa2

This is still very much a WIP. I plan on doing Cedar Fair esque theming (similar to Polaris, my last project) (yes, I really like space-related names for my coasters). But because my computer is a potato, it's already having a hard time with all the lights, so we'll see how far I go. Comment below and be sure to stay tuned!
    • CommentAuthorTheBeatles
    • CommentTimeApr 19th 2016

Looks great so far, definitely lots of potential here! The terrain/foliage looks pretty bare though, maybe have a wider variety of ground textures and plants.
    • CommentAuthorInkyz

^ Agreed, as a coaster it's pretty amazing but there's a lot more that could be done with the landscaping.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

I absolutely adore that layout, it looks absolutely stunning.
    Great coaster. It can only get better with more scenery.
    • CommentAuthorarktic2
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2016

Reminds me of kraken..
    Maybe put in a cave or something at the end to add texture and such to the ride..
    Sorry for the small bump, but since the NLE is down and I never got any ratings for my old project, I've re-uploaded it to the CC exchange. Click to the image below to download and rate (including a new environment!)
    https://gyazo.com/60725a5ef44f298e0fd59f372ba90c79