Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

The Viking is a GCI/Gravity Group inspired wooden coaster with a nordic theme that takes guests through a wild trip across the icelandic terrain. As beautiful as the terrain can be, the land of the vikings can be a treacherous and unforgiving one. Take head along your travels.

Im working on the queue line and cleaning up some of the supports still. Any advice/criticism is much appreciated.

Environment credit goes to Projektion.

Video Now Available! Click the logo above or the link below.

The Viking - A Nordic Adventure

•  
      CommentAuthorcheetah
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2015

That looks incredible! 3ds interaction with the ride is great as I can see.
    Looks amazing, im no expert on GCI shaping but the layout looks great. Love the station and the scenery, I think it would look awesome with some hilly terrain around it and maybe a lake/river running along by the side of that low down twisty section by the boat. Cant wait to see how this progresses.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2015

This looks fantastic Andre, nice job!
    First screen looks like a professional render. Nice work.
    That double-up looks insane! Maybe a teaser POV is in the works? As a huge fan of GCI I'd love to look at the shaping ;)
    • CommentAuthornSeven

That, my friends, is what you get when you cross a RCT3er and a NL2er together! Absolutely brilliant SuperCoolSuper, Andre, whatever you want to be called...
    • CommentAuthorBrawly

Yes! I've been waiting to see more of this. Looks incredible.
    I don't like your stones. Because that's my upcoming update lol.
    No seriously, great job!
    • CommentAuthorHarmL98

Amazing!
    Its looks so realistic i love it!!!!
    Cant wait to see more!
    • CommentAuthorsprog

Wow, this looks utterly fantastic!
    This looks cowbellilly insane!
    •  
      CommentAuthornolimiters

Looks like one of the best woodies ever
    Main trackwork criticism I can think of is that the first valley of the double down after the first drop (the valley before the second dip) looks a bit drawn out. Other than that, it looks like a good ride! I like that you add more than "just" airtime hills and turnarounds into the rectangular space. I do hope you'll custom support this thing (or at least add extra bracing) though because at some points (notably the airtime hill in the middle of the 5th picture) the default supports look a little flimsy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix

This is an impressive and ingenious layout, theming seems to be top-notch, too.

... and I love how real most of the pictures look with that environment (especially the fifth one).
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani

Brilliant work! It looks incredibly good!
    Nice realistic trackwork in a good looking evironment, this is what I personally expect from NL2 coasters. :)

Is this project inspired by Wodan?
    • CommentAuthorcaptfido87

Absolutely astounding. So incredible. It will be an inspiration to my GCII coaster.
    •  
      CommentAuthorviking86

I give my official "Viking-approval" of this ride, looks fantastic! Amazing job with the station!
    Thank you all for the wonderful comments. This project was originally intended to be Spanish themed and named Conquistador but for some reason I was more drawn to a viking theme. Wodan's path/coaster interaction did inspire me to create a climax point in the ride where the coaster dives into the trench. I will not be custom supporting this. I feel as though the amount of time and effort to do that isn't worth it for this ride.

Video Now Available! Click the logo above or the link below.

The Viking - A Nordic Adventure

Comments and criticism are greatly appreciated. The ride will be released on the exchange soon. Final touch ups are being done.
    Hmm, guess I was wrong about the first double down being drawn out; it actually looks great and it seems to me like the opening act is the best part of the ride. I also liked the pre-lift section and how there were pitch changes on a portion of track which originally looked like a flat downward slope with some turns. Just a couple things:

1.) I'm not sure if that trim brake in the middle of the ride was really necessary; it seemed to cut too little speed to justify its presence. If it was meant to be an MCBR, then the deceleration is alright although you should keep in mind that a roller coaster cannot stop under magnetic brakes alone; don't hide the pneumatic brake calipers.
    2.) I think that last turn before the hop into the brakes could have been lower; the ride seemed to be a little (relatively) slow there and the transition into the final hop seemed a little drawn out, making the ending of the ride seem a little underwhelming.

Other than that, this is a nice ride and I like the theming you put into it. It's a shame you won't even be adding some extra custom bracing to this ride, but I understand that it would be quite a tedious task.
    • CommentAuthorMGrides
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2015 edited

Agree with the last hop. But otherwise this is a great project. I love the theming and all the neat details you´ve put in there. The colors and the different parts of the ride fits perfectly with the terrain and the scenery. And this station is top notch. Looks really good! If you would make a small park with that quality... holy crap that would be a very nice looking one! Great work!
    •  
      CommentAuthordapalm
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2015

This reminds me so much to the old RCT3 times... Awesome job Andre, as always. Love the theme you've created and the interaction this coaster has. Eveything fits so good toghether!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2015 edited

Looks fantastic on the video!

I would suggest to decrease the station acceleration and speed a little bit, it looks as if the coaster is launched out the station instead of rolling out smoothely and you also should check if what has been said for the mid course brake holds for the final brake. I guess the magnetic brake segment before the transfer track is a block brake, if this is true It should have friction brakes additonally to the magnet breaks at least. Or to be more realistic after the segment of magnet brakes which are set to trim brakes a short segment of friction brake that is set to a block brake should follows that can stop the train (compare with this break arrangement for instance: YouTube video).
    • CommentAuthorNeity
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2015

This is awesome.
    I love the env And this very inspired layout
    Regarding the issue for the mid course brakes, I am going to treat those as trims considering the length of the ride doesn't justify a MCBR. For the release I will reduce the number of magnets on that section rather than the long run I have. As for the final brakes, the block section is on the transfer table. Since the overall ride time isn't that long I kept the blocks to a minimum with the programming (unlike in the video) set so that only one train is anywhere on the course at any given time while the other waits in the station.

The final turn around and valley before the final brakes is admittedly uninteresting. I was originally going to include a clockwise helix before the incline into the brakes that was going to dive into another trench but I decided to cut that from the program from the beginning as I was unsure how my queue line was going to be setup. It may make more sense to add that in now with the way the queue is setup but I'm honestly ready to move on and start a new project. Sometimes you just have to say "I'm finished" and move on to the next thing. As I stated, there may be room for adjustment for the park file release so we'll see.

Thank you all for the wonderful comments and crits.
    BLOW AWAY by this!

The station is gorgeous as is the theme, pacing a nice too.

Really impressed =).
    •  
      CommentAuthorKevan

This looks stunning, very cool theming!
    • CommentAuthorMaverick78

It's so amazing! I really enjoyed it!

But I've some questions:
    1. How can the 3d models looking so real? Because sketchup models in NL2 is a but ''flat and not so beautiful''
    2. Where did you got these rocks?
    • CommentAuthornSeven
    • CommentTimeJun 1st 2015

1. Models mean nothing if you don't have a handle on the texturing system in NL2 - materials can look incredible from fairly uninteresting textures if you treat them right.

2. I'm going to guess the Google Warehouse...because I've seen them and have used them!