Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthoraltlenny
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2015 edited

Download the template

Announcing the "Purism Contest"

I am currently in the process of setting up a contest that is designed to challenge all members of the community when it comes to designing realistic roller coasters. Basically this wlil be the perfect opportunity for everyone who loves designing a layout, support that layout and then appreciates it in all its beauty. If I caught your interest just keep reading.

The Idea

With all the awesome possibliities offered by the NoLimits2 engine I noticed that the average quality of custom scenery, environments and scripts improved drastically throughout the whole community, whlie the average coaster quality pretty much stalled or even got worse. To stop my heart from bleeding I teamed up with The_Architect who approved of the idea of creating a contest that was purely focussed on building a rock-solid and realistic roller coaster layout. Such a contest would restrict the contestants to ONLY use the coaster, track, element and supports tab inside the NoLimits2 editor. Furthermore the ranking system would only consider the quality of both layout and supports. The main goal is to create a realistic (as in feasible) and aesthetically pleasing ride without restricting contestants to some real world manufacturer style.

The Dates

The contest starts on the 12th of June at 8pm CEST (6pm GMT, 2pm EDT, 11am PDT) and ends on the 31th of July 8pm CEST (6pm GMT, 2pm EDT, 11am PDT). Check out this post when the contest starts!

The Rules

Here are the final rules of the contest, read them carefully! The judges for this contest will be The_Architect, 6FlagsManiac and altlenny.

You are asked to...
    • build and support exactly one realistic roller coaster, nothing more and nothing less
    • place the station of that coaster completely inside the zone distinguished by its yellow color

You may ...
    • collaborate with others
    • use any of the NoLimits2 coaster types in either the "full circuit" or "shuttle" operation modes

You may NOT...
    • add or remove any scenery
    • change any scenery that is locked (this is everything except the template and clearance object)
    • use scripting of any kind
    • alter the terrain in any way
    • alter the environment in any way
    • place footers outside of the provided template

Stuff that does not matter in the judging:
    • car textures
    • scenery made out of supports
    • recreating a real world manufacturer style

Stuff that will matter in the judging:
    • general layout (flow and positioning of elements, clear concept, capacity, security)
    • layout execution (appropriate smoothness, appropriate accelerations, aesthetics, security)
    • supports (realism, aesthetics)
    •  
      CommentAuthoraltlenny

The Template

.... and here it is in all its beauty.

Download the template park from here. Feel free to move both the template object and the clearance object around during your workflow. Their original position is at (0, 0, 0) if you want to check for clearance. The package also contains a FVD++ background texture of the template, which you can also find here. Please note that due to the size of the template the FVD++ texture had to be rotated by 45 degrees.

How the Template Works

The template for this contest will consist of 8 zones. The station of your coaster has to lie completely in the yellow zone. The zones are an incentive for everyone to use less space. Basically if you waste space you will get downrated by the judges. If you use space in a clever and creative way (this is not necessarily equal to squeezing a hyper layout into 3 zones) you'll get upvoted. The following list are the suggested ride sizes of the in-game coaster types.

small (1-2 zones):
    • Gerstlauer Bobsled Coaster
    • Gerstlauer Euro-Fighter
    • Gerstlauer Spinning Coaster
    • Maurer Söhne Spinning Coaster
    • Maurer Söhne X-Car Coaster
    • Zamperla Twisted Coaster

medium (2-3 zones)
    • Classic Steel Looping Coaster
    • Corkscrew Coaster
    • Gravity Group Timberliner
    • Inverted Coaster (2 seats across)
    • Inverted Face-to-Face Coaster
    • Inverted Impulse Coaster
    • LIM Launched Coaster
    • Maurer Söhne X-Car Coaster
    • Rocket Coaster
    • Twisted Dive Coaster
    • Vekoma Flying Dutchman
    • Vekoma Minetrain Coaster
    • Vekoma Motorbike Coaster
    • Wooden Coaster

large (3-5 zones)
    • 4D Coaster
    • Corkscrew Coaster
    • Gravity Group Timberliner
    • Hyper Coaster
    • Inverted Coaster (4 seats across)
    • LIM Launched Coaster
    • Mack Launch Coaster
    • Rocket Coaster
    • Suspended Coaster
    • Twisted Dive Coaster
    • Twisted Floorless Coaster
    • Twisted Flying Coaster
    • Twisted Sitdown Coaster
    • Twisted Stand-Up Coaster
    • Twisted Wing Coaster
    • Wooden Coaster

hyper (5-8 zones)
    • Hyper Coaster
    • Hyper Coaster (4 seats across)
    • Hyper Coaster (4 seats staggered)
    • Mack Launch Coaster
    • Rocket Coaster
    • Twisted Wing Coaster

Here's a few examples on how the template can be utilized.

How To Submit

The judges have come to the conclusion that anonymous ride submission will minimize bias while rating each coaster design. Here's a step-by-step guide on how to submit your coaster:

• Make sure your park contains exactly ONE coaster
    • Go to the "Coaster" tab inside the editor and open the "Coaster Properties". There, give coaster a name (won't be judged) and a description (design philosophy, target audience, optional), both the name and the description should NOT hint to your username. Freeze your coaster.
    • Go to the "Park" tab inside the editor and open the "Park Settings". Change the park name to the name of your coaster, and set the author of the Park as your user-name (and if you want your real name). The judges will open the Park Settings after judging your coaster, so everything you ride in the park description will only be read after judging is finished.
    • Now you can delete both the clearance and the template object inside your park (you don't have to though).
    • Save the park
    • Go to C:\Users\*USER*\Documents\com.nolimitscoaster.nolimits2\*your_purism_park* and send the *your_coaster*.nl2park file as an attachment to purismcontest@gmail.com. There is no need to save the park as a package because the contest did not allow any additional assets in the park.

Greetings,
    Lenny
    sounds fun!
    •  
      CommentAuthorDanSm1l3r
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2015

I am SO in for this!
    as you already know, im in. my ride's lift is prep'd and ready

I'm definately in
    •  
      CommentAuthoriSatnav

1) I'm in!
    2) I'd be inclined to.lean towards the 6 week time frame as this is smack bang in the middle of my exams.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

Count me in! Although I'm unsure if I'll actually finish my entry. Still doesn't mean I can't try!
    I guess you could count me in! Finally a contest with freedom of choosing your coaster style.
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan

I would love to make a very realistic Japanese Jet Coaster for this contest. It could be a huge sprawling Meisho Amusement Machines layout.
    I will be joining this contest! (So I may set the park construction on hold for a tiny bit, while I still work on it though!)

I believe two months would be a perfect time to set everything up. Especially with those people who take a long while to plan their coasters.

\/ -- Going with what he said. I think Coaster-Lab, Altlenny, and mainly staff should be the ones that manage the ratings. As Jet said, We all vary in our technical skills when it comes to rides.
    I absolutely love this idea. I would definitely join.

As for my input, I think it would be better to avoid doing peer reviews. Not that I don't love and respect other members of this community, but I feel that because there is no coaster textbook or other standardized work, our levels of technical knowledge in regards to coasters could vary widely. What one person might view as a very technically accurate coaster might be seen as the opposite by someone else. I'd personally prefer @altlenny be essentially the cornerstone in the judging, because based off of some of his ratings on the exchange, he knows his stuff. This is just my two cents and may be disputed.

Also the whole region idea sounds epic. Would love to see a top down editor view of what the size/shape of each region looks like!

I also feel that 6 weeks would just be a better time frame, because for me personally, conceptualization is the hardest and most time consuming part of coaster design. I have to make sure I'm really REALLY sold on an idea for a layout before I even put the first vertex down.
    • CommentAuthorarktic2

im in..

would be nice to build a coaster based on the coaster and not the theming..

i think i know what i will choose for my coaster already, but can we use like n7 trees and plants with our coaster to give it more life..?
    ^"can we use like n7 trees and plants with our coaster to give it more life..?"

I'm pretty sure that's exactly what this contest is discouraging.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraltlenny

^^No, the scenery and terrain will be provided by the template park and may not be changed by the contestants. I added a rule that clarifies that no additional scenery or terrain changes may be made.
    Posted By: altlennyDon't change scenery or terrain of the given park. The template and clearance scene object is excluded from this rule as its only purpose is to visualize collision objects and the contest template.

Here's the reason why.
    Posted By: altlennyTo prevent cheating I will import that coaster to my template park. All added, removed or moved objects in your park file will not be judged and clearance will be tested in the imported version of your coaster.

One sub-region is about as big as a small Eurofighter or kiddy coaster footprint. I'd like to know out of interest who of you are planning on entering in what category/categories.

Greetings,
    Lenny
    •  
      CommentAuthorRK

Not sure if I will have the time to participate but i think I would choose standard.

Edit:
    Also would 3D models be allowed that would help to bring more realism to the coaster?
    Something like cable lifts or hydraulic launch systems.
    (my guess is no)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorganFan

I'll do it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJAMMYD778

Sounds good. Just trackwork/supports and nothing else. :) I'm up for it.
    This sounds like a good idea i'll give it a try.
    Also, I hate to be nitpicky, but what are your thoughts on using supports to create custom scenery? *coughcough* turbocoaster...

It would be imported with the rest of the actual coaster, and I assume that if certain users were to do this, the scenery would just be ignored?
    Hasn't he made it pretty clear by now that there is no scenery allowed lol...
    Well I'm not going to do it haha, just asking for clarification for others. I don't have nearly enough patience for that :P
    Guys, the idea of this contest is to build a bare ride. Adding to your ride with support scenery, 3D models, terrain, plants, lights, etc. is NOT required and is discouraged. This is about making a pure roller coaster. A lot of users on here are hiding bad track work by using all of this stuff. This contest is about going back to basics and seeing who can make a decent ride, and show it to the judges in its bare form, with nothing to hide.
    • CommentAuthorTOGO Fan
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2015

Can you add a custom station with supports and freenodes? Or should you still just do the basic coaster?
    •  
      CommentAuthorDanSm1l3r

^^ In that case, you can DEFINITELY count me in!
    •  
      CommentAuthoraltlenny

I changed the first post with updated information. Here's a compilation of the most important changes:

• The template consists of 8 disctinct regions. Judging dependents strongly on how many regions a submitted coaster uses.
    • There will be three judges for this contest: The_Architect, 6FlagsManiac and altlenny.
    • The contest starts on the 12th of June at 8pm CEST (6pm GMT, 2pm EDT, 11am PDT) and ends on the 31th of July 8pm CEST (6pm GMT, 2pm EDT, 11am PDT).

With the competition no longer having 3 categories I want to inform you that the judges will mention coasters of every size in the final breakdown of the contest!

See you on the reveal of the contest template! I will provide both a NoLimits2 package file and a FVD++ background image of the template next friday.

Greetings,
    Lenny
    This sounds really interesting, definitely up for this challenge!
    If I have some free time I may give it a look. I know I'm certainly one of those people who does this type of work already, so it' shouldn't be too hard.

While I see that these regions seem to allow for multiple coasters, I think working hard on just one to make it look great will make a difference compared to multiple poorly made ones. Just my thought.
    •  
      CommentAuthorcheetah

I'm in for sure.
    • CommentAuthorROLLER97
    • CommentTimeJun 5th 2015 edited

I'm in. It's about time I finished a coaster again...
    ^Yea right....
    •  
      CommentAuthorcheetah

Will be nice to see some decent rides not hidden in 3d trees and 4k skyboxes.
    • CommentAuthorrct800

Guess I'm definately in for this, but I will only have the July for this...
    •  
      CommentAuthoraltlenny

Posted By: cheetahWill be nice to see some decent rides not hidden in 3d trees and 4k skyboxes.

It pains me to say that the template includes both 3d trees (thx nSeven) and a 4k skybox. Most of the template however is free of trees and all objects inside the park are solely used to give context (and constraints) to the coaster. Creating coasters in a vaccum is neither challenging nor fun. Clever interaction with other rides and good integration into the overall scene will have a big role in this contest, especially for larger rides. Here's a sneak peek of the contest park with hidden template just to give you a sense of what I'm talking about.

Greetings,
    Lenny
    •  
      CommentAuthorcheetah

Noooo
    jk for that though, using them as a obstacle to avoid is awesome rather than just using them for looks afterwards.
    I'm a tad bit confused. So.. Are we not allowed to move trees and such at all? Or only if truly needed? Or what?
    •  
      CommentAuthorcheetah

Not allowed to change the 3ds at all.
    •  
      CommentAuthoraltlenny

Any changes to scenery, be it moving, removing or adding scenery, is prohibited. I changed the first post to make that more clear.
    ^Could you do us a favor and 'Lock' the scenery objects?
    If we had the time for it, would we be allowed to put car-textures on?
    •  
      CommentAuthorcheetah
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2015

Guys, the point of the contest isn't "'make it as pretty as possible with anything we can get", its make a actually good ride without resorting to using assets to add to it. (Atleast, that's how I have interpreted it.)
    I'd assume a fat no. ^
    ^^ You could, sure, but it's going to be imported to a clean template

Use and submit a package file with exactly one coaster in the park. To prevent cheating I will import each submission to my template park and clearance will be tested in the imported version of your coaster.

Which means the car texture won't be imported
    Okay, I know this is lame but I have a really old computer that I have a feeling will lag simply with a 4k skybox. Embarrassing, I know. But would it be possible to release a perfectly clean park file (no skybox, no scenery, only the 8 regions) for those of us with less powerful computers?
    •  
      CommentAuthoraltlenny

@JetstreamCoasters:
    I just went with cheetah on the 4k skybox thing. The textures of the skybox are all 2k textures which is more than enough for full HD resolutions and the average NL2 FOV settings.
    You can certainly build your coaster in a different environment with different scenery. Nobody will stop you from changing things during your workflow. It is however important that you submit your final coaster included in the park file that I will release next friday, because in the end all collisions will be checked there (and as I already said, the judges will import the coaster into a fresh park just to make sure).

@TriNationalism:
    You can do whatever, but remember what will and will not be rated in the end:

Posted By: altlenny
    • General Layout (flow and positioning of elements, clear concept, capacity)
    • Layout Execution (appropriate smoothness, aesthetics, symmetry)
    • Supports (realism, aesthetics)

As you can see the judges will happily ignore all 3d objects made out of supports or car textures. In the worst case 3d support objects will be downrated in case they are structurally implausible or interfere with the clearance envelope. You would be much better off min-maxing the timing of your station(s) to maximize capacity because that will actually be rated!

I have just locked all objects in the template park except the template/collision object which you should frequently move out of the way to work on your coaster. The object's standard position is at x=0 and z=0 so moving it to the original position will be very easy.

Greetings,
    Lenny
    Awesome! Thanks for the extra info and patience with all of our questions.
    • CommentAuthorgeek87de

i am in =)
    •  
      CommentAuthorzampano

How exactly does the usage of the zones affect the score? The less, the better?
    I believe it's the more zones you use, the more your coaster will be judged (As in, The harder the critique will get)
    •  
      CommentAuthoraltlenny
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2015

The zones are an incentive for everyone to use less space. Building an SLC on a huge giga template is neither challenging nor fun, but squeezing an SLC into 2 zones will be a challenge. Basically if you waste space you will get downrated by the judges. If you use space in a clever and creative way (this is not necessarily equal to squeezing a hyper layout into 3 zones) you'll get upvoted.

Think of it this way. The park proposes to build a new ride in the template, but doesn't own the land yet. The zones represent multiple plots of land that the park can buy from various owners. There should be a very good reason you as a coaster designer make the park buy the plots of land you use with your coaster.

Greetings,
    Lenny
    ^Im in lenny!