Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorPearman
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2015

Absolutely amazing light work. It looks so fantastic.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo

@kingRCT3: I am thinking about doing something like that, same as clipping a lot of the smaller items. So far it's still running great though here.

photo screenshot-2015-08-28-22-33-36.png

photo screenshot-2015-08-28-22-34-44.png

photo screenshot-2015-08-28-22-34-15.png
    • CommentAuthorInkyz

Absolutely stunning.
    ^ agreed
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2015

So, to be ahead of performance issues I started with some cleanup actions today, and more important remodel options. I wanted to tell you guys what things I am trying and maybe you have to great usefull tips for me in exchange.

To start of with, the amount of faces for each part is something I am not really happy with. The following are the ones I currently have most trouble with: 125500
    - Main building and queue (currently still one entity, with eye on performance I am going to cut it up into the smallest peices possible to enable clipping) have a total of around
    - Darkride (as is, excluding ships): 12500 faces
    - Train: 11000

So, lots of work to make those numbers a lot smaller! What I am doing at the moment is cutting it all into smaller parts to enable clipping. Also, I am trying Occluders, which seems to help me gain about 5-10 FPS with very simple use. The problem however seems to be lightning. And since it's a darkride, and indoors there is a lot of that stuff. I need to find a way to light the darkride (scripting to activate on a trigger maybe?) and a way to light the queue properly. Also I am thinking about making the station about 1/2 smaller since a quick count learns it would add up about 50000-60000 faces.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

Lighting is the main thing that makes FPS drop like crazy. NL2 uses dynamic lighting (rather than baked) and because of that the constant realtime rendering causes massive FPS differences. If you use blender, bake lighting in that and use that lighting over NL2's. You can easily make the models 'lit' making them immune to lighting, and by using baked shadows in blender, will dramatically increase your FPS.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3

Kinda off-topic sorry, but do you find a way to have the dark-ride dark while keeping the outdoor portion at daytime?
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2015

Since I am very sleepy I am going to keep this rather short: Queue done!

photo screenshot-2015-09-07-00-33-26_1.png

photo screenshot-2015-09-07-00-35-07.png

photo screenshot-2015-09-07-00-35-22.png

photo screenshot-2015-09-07-00-34-48.png
    ^ Holy JESUS :O Beautiful
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2015

Wow, that's looking REALLY good!
    That looks good.
    May I ask what your fps is?
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2015 edited

@JL NoLimits,

It strongly depends on whether I use light or not. At this moment during night time (around 21:00) the FPS of the whole building is around 45FPS on my PC (Settings full open, 2150x1080, 3x AA) and 60FPS on full HD with AA brought back to level 1, without using any light except those not used to illuminate anything. Then again so far I did not use clipping. I am currently working on cutting the inside into pieces to enable clipping. That should have a great impact on the performance. I aim to get 30FPS smooth on my PC, but considering the size of the project I doubt if it's possible. Then again I have a lot of things I can still optimize!

With clipping alone performace seems to get a lot better. Only thing left to figure out is how to work with as many lights as possible keeping it smooth.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2015

little coaster update:

photo screenshot-2015-09-11-00-30-35.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2015

So, as you guys know I asked DerMuffinMaker to help me out on the track and he did an awsome job on it. Since the trackwork is now done I wanted to show off some of his hard work. I did some quick quick landscaping and foliage, but you guys get the point I guess.

photo screenshot-2015-09-17-00-14-29.png

photo screenshot-2015-09-17-00-12-02.png

photo screenshot-2015-09-17-00-11-02.png

photo screenshot-2015-09-17-00-06-52.png
    Absolutely incredible...
    • CommentAuthorTheBeatles
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2015

^I'm going to respectfully disagree. I'm not sure how to put it, but it looks like your environment somehow has too much contrast. Your objects are either bright and normally colored, or near pitch black in the shadows. There's no real blending of the light. Also, the surrounding area has a classic case of "let's see how much of nSeven's foliage can we fit into one area" syndrome. Speaking of foliage, there's grass coming through the pathway in your 3rd picture on the right hand side. Compared to how dynamic the interior is, I'm actually kind of disappointed with the exterior of the ride. Where in the world is your ride? Try using plants and foliage from that part of the world. Also, don't feel like you have to completely cover the ground with plants and flowers, grass and dirt can be nice sometimes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2015 edited

^ The funny thing is, the contrast is there to stay since I have a tought out reason for it. Most part of the ride is a darkride/inside queue. To make sure that you can get the full darkride experience without having to put the game to night while riding I changed the environment in such way that everything that isn't direcly lit is very dark. This way the outside does have a bit to high contrast, I do agree on that. But the trade off is that everything on the inside looks just dark enought to pass as dark. In that way you get the full ride experience without having to change the time of day. I know it's a trade off, but considering what I am going for it is one I am willing to take. Other solotions are also more than welcome ofcourse.

On the foliage, I might have gone a bit over the top with the big scrubs, so I'm going to cut those back a bit. They are nice and big, but don't really fit into the part of the world this is made in. The flowerbeds however are there to stay. The foliage takes inspirtion from the Efteling. Unless an area is real grass there they try to put as many plants in as possible. However, also for performance reasons I will cut back on that also, but don't expect half of the foliage to go away. I have to pictures which I used as inspiration so you might get a feel for what I'm trying to do:

http://www.freizeitpark-welt.de/freizeitparks/efteling/fotos/2010/gondoletta01.jpg
    http://www.l1.nl/sites/default/files/imagenodes/baron_1898_kleiner2.jpg
    The plants here may look small, but this is about a few weeks after planing them. In a year or so you won't be able to see any of the floor underneed it.

Edit: oke, changed some stuff, finished the foliage and start craping my pants due to performance...I need to cut out some stuff!
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2015 edited

So you got me thinking and I redid some of the outside stuff (I want to give it more of a parky feel anyway). I hope this looks a bit better. Also I included two shots of the darkride part!

photo screenshot-2015-09-17-15-30-53.png

photo screenshot-2015-09-17-15-32-26.png

photo screenshot-2015-09-17-15-31-59.png

photo screenshot-2015-09-17-15-32-51.png

photo screenshot-2015-09-17-15-33-58.png

photo screenshot-2015-09-17-00-09-09.png

photo screenshot-2015-09-17-00-09-46.png
    So much better!
    Posted By: ZingoAlso I included two shits of the darkride part!

xD

This looks absolutely lovely though. I especially like the Baron style helix.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix

^Well, if you think about it: Bits + shots = ... lol

In all seriousness, this looks amazing. The latest environment makes the scene really lively and realistic. I could easily imagine this to be a real park, the flower beds also seem to be absolutely reasonable in my opinion. Keep up the good work!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMrcrolly

I thought the foilage was excessive at first, but after you fixed it up... Wow.

I must say, I'm REALLY impressed with this project so far, it's coming together really well and it could honestly be one of the best NL2 projecrts of all time. I really can't wait to get my hands on this, and I'll more than surely download and rate once the track is available. :)
    Okay... now it looks incredible :O
    i spy an LIM car
    • CommentAuthormuchwoo

Zingo, your park is amazing, so many details and great ideas.
    Can't wait to see other pics!
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcth
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2015

It looks really great, even better than your Baron ride. Love to see more as you add more and more details.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeSep 26th 2015

So, my holiday was great, Coney Island Cyclone is awsome, Thunderbolt crap and now it's time to start again on this ride. I finished the landscaping and it kinda criples the performance. So not more real life lights to be added from now on. The project is just to big to sustain the high FPS with all the nice detail inside. It's a trade off but it's worth it to me since the entire experience is so much beter with the whole world done properly. I also need some help with some scripting. I need a few musicboxes and soundtriggers on the track for onride and area music, I also need some scripts to open some doors and I need to be able to have some moving objects. If anyone is able to help me with this I would be so happy!

So I added two mayor things: a farmland and a wooden coaster. The coaster is pure for looks, but I made it sort of ridable.It's not great but it's all about the looks anyway.

photo screenshot-2015-09-26-02-58-21.png
    I added some banners to the larger lightposts

photo screenshot-2015-09-26-03-07-13.png

photo screenshot-2015-09-26-03-05-04.png

photo screenshot-2015-09-26-02-59-02.png

photo screenshot-2015-09-26-02-58-37.png

photo screenshot-2015-09-26-03-01-04.png

photo screenshot-2015-09-26-03-01-22.png

photo screenshot-2015-09-26-03-06-00.png

photo screenshot-2015-09-26-03-00-00.png
    Looks great but one thing, that curve over the water of the wooden coaster needs to be inspired of Joris en de draak Not true?
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo

@ JL Nolimits, Joris en de Draak did spring in my mind as inspiration om having the woorden coasters at all. The coaster itself is mostly inspirerende by the raven@holiday World, at lease the second waterturn is. The layout is fairly simple, but it should suffice.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRCF

I'm just seeing this, I don't know how I didn't before.

I don't know what to say. Keep it up
    This project is looking better and better every time i open the thread :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2015

Anyone who can help me out with some moving objects and sound scripts?
    •  
      CommentAuthorRCF
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2015

^ I wish I could help, but that's exactly what I need help with my self.
    I wish NL would make moving objects easier! I'm an idiot when it comes to scripting or understanding even the smallest script.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo

So, since visible progress slowed down a bit I wanted to show you guys the first steps you take in the park when it's done. All music is scripted in the game, so it'll always be there! Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEQ6-nh61qk
    ^ Fantastic :D This is the best Nl2 Project at the moment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRCF

Beautiful. Are you planning by any chance to release those trains? Being horrible at 3D modelling, they would help some of us (like me)
    • CommentAuthorHooch
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2015

This is spectacular!
    Amazing work. can not wait for this release.

As a suggestion, would you consider changing the track in the water to a darker color?
    I see previously someone suggested making it invisible, yes, that is not realistic. But making it a dark green or charcoal would be realistic to what parks would do to give the impression of the coaster floating unguided in water.
    (I say charcoal, not black, as in the sim black would be to dark)
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeSep 30th 2015

@RCF: It depends on wether I get them right. If I get them right (they are way to high poly atm) I might release them. I must say I just bought the pro version for the 60FPS recording but also password protection of my files, so during the release of the ride they cannot be used for other purposes.

@hooch: yeah, the trackcolor also bugs me atm. I'm planning on adding some stuff there though, some walls around the track for example and soms sensors. also soms track will be visible due to the track being just under the waterlevel. So I do need to look at that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2015

I am going to put this project on hold for some time. There seems to be a mayor problem with my ingame sound. The sound travels way further than it should. For example, the sound of the air pressure releasing from the brakes of the wooden coaster can be heard about 200m+ from the point where the brakes are. This also effects the music I use in the area. A few days ago when it was all still working fine it was scripted to be just in the right area, but now for some reason if travels everywhere (about 10x further then it should). To me this situation is unworkable so I see no reason to continue while this problem remains.

I've tried the following:
    - Reinstall Windows 10
    - Reinstall sound drivers
    - Tried other sound card
    - Tried other GPU
    - Reinstall NL2, standard licence and pro license
    - Any setting NL2 has to offer
    - tried the DX9 trick

Nothing worked so far, and it freaks me out. I can't concentrate if the damn sound won't work like it should. So, for now no more NL2 till this works again.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani

Did you contact the nl2 support by e-mail? I guess they are also interested in this problem and will give their best to solve it asap.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo

I did, wondering what they can do about it. I made a small video where you can hear whats going on. It even gets recorded...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBolPuO8LQg&feature=youtu.be
    So i believe you said farther up that the wooden coaster was for looks so you could simply just "hide" the friction brakes on the wooden coaster and therefore the brake sound will not be heard. However you wont be able to see the brakes on the wooden coaster but it could take care of that problem. Just an idea.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeOct 2nd 2015 edited

Yeah but the problem is that what happens to the brakes happens to all sounds, music trains on the track etc. THey all can be heard from way to far away. Imagine trying to setup the music for the station on this ride while at the same time hearing the woodencoaster run outside and hear any music even though the script only makes it send out to at most 5 meters from the speaker :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorbestdani

Posted By: Zingowondering what they can do about it

I just guess this might be a NL2 bug caused by some constellation in your park or does this problem also exist for other parks? When it turns out to be true they can fix it with the next update or if not they can tell you what could be wrong on your system or with the park setup.

But are you sure the sounds could not be heard before? I can also hear the brake sounds on my system when I'm some 100m away from a coaster.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo

Yeah im going to try on another pc tomorrow just to be sure. I have the problem on all files and started noticing when the scripted music started to mix up and thus makes it impossible to make a proper themed ride.

Also of you can hear that sound from that far out there is something seriously wrong with the sound design :p
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeOct 3rd 2015

Adding: I tried some different versions of the openAL software which NL2 uses to simulate the sound, does not make a difference though :(
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcth

Have you tried running with DirectX9 instead of DirectX11? I doubt it might solve it (as I have no problems with DX11), but it's worth a check.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo

Been there, done that, no difference
    I don't think that's a bug.. I get this too. It's been there ever since the release of NL2.