Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2016 edited

^Nah, not bottomless, sorry. But I would suggest not falling into it non the less.

Staff edit: Please don't quote the post directly above yours.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2016

--- update ---

Sort of racing to get this finished. Supports are comming alone nice (I've waited with those due to scenery). Just to get a sence of scale, since this is in the same park as the Flying Dutchman, this is the turnaround of the woody compared to the big hill on this ride:

•  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2016 edited

--- Update ---

So, everything is as good as done (just about 30 minutes of support work left. Now the hard part, film the ride. The onride is about 1:30 from station to brakes, so that's just fine. Music has been picked. The landscaping really makes a difference here. And I added a few extra mountains. I must say I am very happy with how this turned out so far. Much better than I thought it would.

And yes it is big! :P
    Looks great !
    • CommentAuthorTheBeatles
    • CommentTimeDec 12th 2016

Are the tops of your mountains untextured or do they have snow on them? If it's the latter, then I'd suggest having some more blend between bare rock and snow. Have some patches of snow elsewhere nearby, have rocks peaking up from the blanket of snow, and don't have such a hard, flat line where the snow starts/stops
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeDec 13th 2016

^ They are textured and there is a slight blend, but not much. I'm not sure if I'm going to change it for the video. The ride was made in roughly 8 weeks just so I had something to sent in for roundup 150.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeDec 14th 2016

--- Update ---

Oke, so we are almost there and I stared working on the onride. I wanted to show you guys one of the pieces of music that I tried. Perfect fit in terms of timing, but it doesn't fit the style at all. Still, I want to share it, so have fun! Ow, it's the onride of the last part, so nothing to much new.

Click here for the onride
    I think that music fits pretty well with the visuals, and I do love the "How To Train Your Dragon" soundtrack. I'm interested to see what you chose in the end! :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2016

^ Yeah, I must say, the more I listen to it, the more I like it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2016

--- Update ---

Test music will stay! jeeh!

I love the last shot. At first I wanted to Taronize is by adding tons of buildings, but I just love all the green and trees and the innerhippie inside me wanted it to stay.
    • CommentAuthorMr. E
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2016 edited

Looks good as always. Hiding the Sky fly inside the windmill tower is an awesome idea and it actually works really well.
    The little decreasing sim speed x0.5 is bothering me though
    I was just wondering, how fast are the two launches?
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2016

^ Thx! The skyfly was kind of a last minute thing to do, but I just had to add some ride in the area.

The launches are both rolling launches without to much speed difference. The first goes from 55km/h to 85km/h with a 1g acceleration and the second from 70km/h to 122km/h with 1.3g acceleration. Both launches go up the hill a bit so the launches first climbing meters the train does not lose any speed. The bottom of the big hill has a topspeed of about 105km/h with a speed of 83km/h before the final brakes. The problem with the last part is that the whole sequence is 20 meters above the launch itself, so I had to really power the launch to make it this fast.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2016

Well. Here is my ride for roundup 150. Enjoy :)

https://youtu.be/3C9J_BKA1ZY
    When is the flying duthman back online?
    My pc is strong enough.

Zingo, kan je mij de FD sturen via wetransfer?
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2016

I might consider putting it back up soon. Together with the release of Hrothgar. Not sure yet, but probably together with the next NL update :).
    That would be awsome....

Nederlands mag ook hoor ;)

Anders mag het ook via WT ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthornolimiters
    • CommentTimeDec 23rd 2016

^ He understands it yes, I do and a couple of others do too,

But it's a international cite, so we talk English here!
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeDec 24th 2016

Although I am as Dutch as can be, we'll stick to english here. I currently do not have a downloadable park. To make Hrothgar happen I had te remove the darkride from the parkfile. I want to offer it was one download, but to do that I need to restore that first. So we'll have to wait a bit longer I guess ;)
    But dont you have like a save first version of the flying dutchman?

BTW Love the new harry potter ride !
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeDec 25th 2016

^ I have, but I want to wait releasing it untill after the update. That way I can tweak some things and have both rides in the park :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2017

--- Update ---

So, over the last year I've received a lot of requests to re-release the Flying Dutchman again, and finaly (due to update 2.5) I can kind of safely release it again. Since I've learned a bit since the release I also want to take the oppertunity to improve a small amount of things. These are mostly scripting related, but should add a lot to the immersion. I'm also working on two versions of the download. One with just the ride for the 'slower' computers and one with my Round-up 150 ride also included. On of the main issue's is the amount of trees, scrubs and plants I used, so I'm going to cut back a bit at those.

Below is the current situation of the park, which as you can see is quite huge.

Also, some of the thins I tried was the new lightning engine, which really adds a lot to the ride due to the environment I used in the first version. Also, bumbmapping is cool! ;)

Also, one of the many changes is moving of some objects in the ride. The awesome model animator is to be thanked for this. This was something I really missed on the first version, so yeah. The link below is the WIP of the 'newer' first scene of the ride. I'm not sure about leaving the black wall between the windmill and town, but we'll see. Also, I am looking to adding stars to the scenes and station to add a bit more.

https://youtu.be/zgLcGY8s-Ps
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op

Very nice!

While you're working on updates, would you please fix the doors that overlap? The z-fighting of the overlapping door textures is distracting and should be easily avoided.

-Ride_Op
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo

^ Yeah, they did also bother me a bit. Back then I wasn't skilled enough to replace them (aka to lazy) but now all doors will receive a little bit of love :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2017

--- Update---

I remember that one of the comments from the Round-up 100 podcast was the lack of stars in the station and harbour scenes, so I fixed those :D

•  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2017 edited

--- Update ---

So, I've done some little thinking on things I was missing on the first version without being to much work to add. I came up with three idea's:

- Control room
    - Fastpass queue
    - Disabled travellers entrance

The control room was easy to add since I always had a place for it in mind. The little loose building in the queue even had a door to enter, but I never did anything with it. So thing time, there will be a control room. The two extra's queues were a bit harder to add since they couldn't follow the real queue either due to length or the amount of stairs. Also, considering a part of the story is being told through the queue I needed a back story for the both queue's.

So, to start of with the fastpass queue. I always wanted to add either a single rides queue or a fastpass. Since I use two stations with the gates at the outside it wasn't really an option to put in two extra queues. So the fastpass was born. I found a little way into the square in the middle of the station to put in an extra queue. At the split there will be a cast member to group the fastpass and standby line to the left or right station. At the start of the station there will be a grouper to sent people to the right row (since it has the 3-4-3-4 system.) For the fastpass story I was thinking about using one of the buildings on the outside which I always imagined as a cafe of some sorts. The idea it that you arrive in the pub and hear about a ship leaving very soon. You need some extra cash so you try to get on board. you are taken trough the backroom of the cafe to the harbour where you join the standby queue just before you enter the ride.

For the Disabled travellers entrance I needed to do something else. Since there was no way to reach both stations I figured that one station would suffice. So, the one on the outside get an extra entrance. The idea is that due to your wheelchair being to big it get hoised on board with the rest of the goods. So you enter the ride through a warehouse and a small store. The store will function as some sort of waiting room since only two disabled can ride at the same time.

This is going to be the warehouse and also the ramps. The total elevation is about 3.5 meters with a length of 8 meters per 1.2 meter decline.

This is going to be the little store, to give you an idea where you enter. Don't mind the boats.

Another change I am making is how wide the middle part of the actual station is. In the first version there is a huge piece of walkway between the two stations. This is mostly due to the one-on-one copy I made from the RCT-3 version. Since it wasn't really needed and I wanted to make the open space of the station smaller I made the middle about two meters smaller. This does add a lot of work to the station, but it really helps with the atmosphere. I also added the stars which (I think Tom) told about in the roundup 100 NLcast video.

\
    The view from the control room!

So, I hope you guys like this new insight into why I made the changes and the stories behind them. My aim is to make this version a bit more story driven and a bit more optimized than the last version. I plan on releasing two versions: one with purely the ride and some green and one with my roundup 150 coaster added. Please let me know what you guys think, any idea is more than welcome.

•  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2017

That's the first time I see a fastpass and wheelchair entrance being integrated with a storyline on their own. It's pure genius!
    • CommentAuthorBullero
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2017

^ and I just can't see why more theme parks do this. It's not like it is a major investment in comparison to the overall ride build cost....

Anyway, great work Zingo! Very excited to follow the progress
    Wow need to agree with King, really awesome :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2017

Thank you everyone for the kind comments. I've never really understood why the 'special' queues should be treated different from the normal queue, so it seemed logical to add some backstory to them. I think that, even though I tend not to activly tell the story, it adds a lot to the experience.

I did some extra work on the fastpass queue and will probably be adding a pre-show there. Different experience, I know, but I want to make the story stick a bit more .
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2017

--- Update ---

So, my holiday and research project for Project Potter are over (aka visit londen and the Harry Potter Studios) and I am back to work on both projects. Since Project Potter will mostly be designing stuff for now I can't really show you guys those things. I can however show one of the changes I made to the Flying Dutchman. One thing I never really liked about the released version were the doors. I used the most basic version, one texture and often the cars would be hit by the closing doors. They just did not work. For this version all doors will not only be updated to look better, but the animation will alse receive a lot of love. So I am proud to present the very first themed door! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzTQOWga9lw&feature=youtu.be

Nice door effects. I just started flipping through your thread, all this is incredible looking.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeFeb 10th 2017

^ Thanks, at lot of work went into making this ride real. Can't wait to show you guys some of the things I've been working on!
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2017

--- Update ---

So, over the last few weeks I've been silently working on changes I want to make to the ride now I have a few more opportunities with scripting. One of my biggest wishes was finaly tested today, the vertical elevator. In the RCT-3 version I did this with a custom made flatride by Mennoo_, but due to the great programing of Yedrimas this is now possible. I've also had a good look at the darkride and I found the projection lacking. It didn't really add to the story and the building to it was to long and didn't do much. For that reason I redid the size of the scenes and changed the position and the way the projection works. Due to the ability to use moving scenery I can now really build up to the encounter. The encounter itself will also change, to have an idea how look at my origional RCT3 video ;-). Also, one of the main reasons the whole darkride had to change was to accommodate the new lift. The old one was a normal lift at 40degrees, so it needed about 40 meters in lenght to get up. Since the new one is vertical the whole area had to change.

https://gyazo.com/9271f757778ecd7027ac4aef2a8b6eec

One of the other changes I had to make due to this was the outside of the ride. The old version had this weird tube going into the tower. It was rather big and gave away quite a bit of what was happening inside. Also it gave the tower volume, which it lacked without the lift structure. To help to keep the volume I added one of the archways I also used in my RCT3 version. I'm also working on changing the look of them to make them fit in beter with the detail of the rest of the ride. Since the lift is no longer in use it also meant a loss of speed for the ride. Since the origional had a rather fast lift I countered it be making the tower slightly taller. This helps giving enough speed to the ride, but also helps by making the tower stand out more. I'm also working on changing the position of the archway in the town to help place another home. This is to add an extra layer of depth to the facade.

So, I hope you guys like this little insight in what I'm working on, can't wait to show you guys more. And Muffin? Download for trackwork in on the way ;)
    <3 YES YES AND YES.... Love it! Let's make a better layout :D
    I didn't know the actual ride has a elevator system!
    ^ It doesn't, Zingo's version is only losely based on the original ride.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2017 edited

^ It's very losely based on the real version but also quite a bit on sketches that some fansites managed to publish about 10 years ago. The origional version was to have 10 scenes with many different things happening. Due to budget limitations it all had to be cut down to what is is today. I took some of the ideas the designers ahd back then and translated them to my own version. Here are some sketches of those ideas:

This sketch is the mayor inspiration for the current look. The whole is a lot taller and more fantasy like than the real or my version. I also love the left side with the fort and the bridges. In the end I decided to leave that part out, altough in the 2017 version some parts may return.

This is one of the origional ideas for the lay-out. As you can see it's huge and uses two elevators. This is one of the things I did miss the most in my version. The NL2 version also gave me the opportunity to fix something I didn't like about the RCT3 version. In the RCT3 version the train has to slow down horizontal to get on the elevator. This greatly takes away from the impact of the lift. I really like this steep lift, the sudden stop and the images used for that scene. In the 2017 NL2 instalment I can finnaly combine the sudden stop from the lifthill as well as make use of the elevator.

I still kept the amount of scenes rather small because adding more didn't help with the story. The storytelling I use is one that only needs one tension arc instead of several small onces. I do like that a bit more because to me it gives the one arc you have more meaning.

This last picture is from one of the later versions and is really close to the end product as we see it in the Efteling. You can also see that there are now two sides to the facade, one is used for the waterview and the other for the entrance. Since I didn't want to have the square entrance part facing the park I opted for the wide facade with the little buildings to the side. The buildings in the side (where the big bridge also is) was mainly added to get the path behind the tower and to brake up the straight line a bit.

I hope that this gives a bit of a better idea why I did some things the way I did :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2017

I hate budget cuts. :(

BUt that was a very interesting post, Zingo. It makes me love your work even more. :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2017

^ Yeah, the budget cuts really took down the ride a notch or two. But the chosen track system also didn't help. In the first fews years it gave the park quite a few headages. That and the cost of the track system was a lot higher due to all the mistakes that were made designing it. I think the ride would have been better and cheaper if the park had chosen to go with the Mack model. Mack apparently designed a whole new concept of watercoaster just for the Efteling, but they still chose the (back then) cheaper Kumbak ride. Quite a shame.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcth
    • CommentTimeMar 4th 2017

This looks great!
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2017 edited

--- update ---

So, I've been working very hard on making some changes to the facade of the building. I did this for several reasons. On of the most important is to change the way you approach the ride. The first version was designed to look like the RCT-3 version, but the paths in that game were different due to the form of the park it was in. The two paths didn't work for me in the NL2 version, it didn't give enough of a 'view' of the city. So I changed the way you approach the city and changed the buildings accordingly. One of the other things I didn't like was the placing of the entrance of the ride. Because the entrance of the area was in the same line as the rest of the facade the entrance was pushed to the side, while it is the most important space of the facade. So I gave the entrance its own square and connected it to the new entrance of the area. To do so I changed the placement of the buildings. It now gives an entirely different vibe (which I was looking for). I really like this so far. I also added space for a new terrace since the old one had to go for the fastpass entrance.

Also, Dermuffinmaker has begun with the re-track of the ride. Since I asked to go all-in I can't wait to see what he comes up with.

•  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2017 edited

Two more little things I changed and added:

I'm going to put up one more crane when it's done, it really adds an extra layer to the facade!

Looks like you're making great progress. All this is crazy impressive.

Going back to your previous update: are you making a suspension ish bridge for the coaster track (the part of the track that leads up to that elevated mini tunnel). I love the idea, if that's what you're doing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrcth
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2017

Nice work!
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2017

--- Update ---

So, I can't show to much, but DerMuffinMaker is outdoing himself on the new lay-out. I gave him artistic freedom, so the lay-out is wholy his (except for some weird requirments I have). The new ride is going to be more thrilling and faster than the old one. Also smoother and much better in the technical area. I can't wait to show you guys the onride! The park itself is also done in terms of the lay-out. I deleted the roundup 150 ride and made some changes to the wooden coaster (smoother, longer). I also made 'theme' zones. The park will still be small, but just a bit bigger than before.

• CommentAuthorTOGO Fan

I sure hope you saved a separate copy of the roundup 150 ride.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo

^ Nope, deleted it, never to be seen again
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2017 edited

--- Update ---

So, while we are still working on the trackwork and the new inside effects, I also did some work to redo the outside of the park. Or better, make it a park. I've totaly remodeled the old wooden coaster area into a brand new area whil I also did some work on adding new rides. For performance reasons there will be a version with and without the park area.

View from the parking. There will be a very special entrance area which will surprise you all.

The entrance plaza with a gate to the Flying Dutchman (which is the size of 1/3 of the park xD)

The new wooden coaster area. I've added two rides, a drop tower and a teacups ride. I kept the theming very simple to not make it to heavy. Still looks nice imho.

The teacups!

The view of the Flying Dutchman from across the lake. It feels totaly different from the old version because of the placement of the wooden coaster.

Look who was is still alive after round-up 150
    Yeah this area is very subtle but it looks great. Has a rustic, homely (british definition) look. In that 2nd to last screenshot, the building on the left has such a real appearance to it. The architecture there looks really good (wooden coaster station building?) I love that this area is kinda just out in a meadow/field nearby the town/main attraction. It's a nice separation/partition of the park. I genuinely want to see more. I'd like to see more screenshots of what you currently have so I can better understand your setup (unless I just need to scroll through these pages.. which I'll try now)
    •  
      CommentAuthorZingo
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2017

^ Thanks for the very kind comment. I do have an overview of the current park. Note that the back area (where the skyflyer is) is not yet finished in terms of lay-out. I always start out with a basic path and expend from there. I might even add a small coaster in there or retheme it to the roundup 150 theming.