Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorelement 115
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2015 edited

This topic is for anyone who is planning to visit a park and would like help and tips from people who live near/have good knowledge of that specific park. I made it to avoid multiple topics being created for separate trips.
    • CommentAuthorBullero
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2015

Later this month I'm having a mini-theme-park-roadtrip through the UK. This is our planned schedule:

Monday - Travelling day, Arriving in Dover so we have a quick stop at the White Cliffs.
    Tuesday - Thrope Park
    Wednesday - Drayton Manor
    Thursday - Alton Towers
    Friday - Back to the Netherlands with a stop in London (Booked the ferry back quite late ;) )

Any tips from frequent visitors of the parks?
    • CommentAuthorInkyz
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2015

Drayton Manor - head straight for Apocalypse. G-Force and Shockwave will get crowded quickly. Don't do Pandemonium. Worst flat ride I've been on, if you want to do it, don't go on one of the front seats. Do Ben 10 if you want to, it's not great, but it's quite fun. Then head to Maelstrom. DO THAT MORE THAN ONCE. People underestimate Maelstrom but it's actually incredible. After Maelstrom I would do Air Race followed by G-Force followed by Shockwave. After that just reride everything. If it's warm then at the end of the day be sure to ride Stormforce 10.
    •  
      CommentAuthoriSatnav

For Thorpe Park - Saw, which is usually a massive draw, will probably be closed. So, that will add to the queue times of other rides. The best way to go is Colossus first as it tends to gain a big queue quickly, followed by Nemesis Inferno for the same reason. Do Stealth and then The Swarm and then fill in all the flat rides when you are done. I would recommend that you get lunch at about 11:30 so you can use the shorter queues when everyone else is eating.
    Good luck!
    •  
      CommentAuthorvdveen

Any tips for visiting Liseberg early August? What to do when, how do I get the most rides on Helix and Balder?
    • CommentAuthorBullero

^^^ Thanks for the tips!
    ^^ I was kind of hoping SAW will be reopened by then, but that might be a little optimistic. Thanks for the tips!
    ^ I'm sorry, I havent visited Liseberg yet, so I have no tips. Have a nice time!
    •  
      CommentAuthoriSatnav

^According to COASTERGUY246, it could be open but I wouldn't count on it.
    If anyone needs advice on a trip to Lagoon in Utah. I can advise. I used to work there.
    I have already made a thread about my phantasialand trip, but now i am going for two days instead of one. Any recommendations? Also i am meeting with altlenny on the second day now too
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2015

I'm going to SFMM and KBF in 18 days! I will spend one day in each park and will probably buy a flash pass for SFMM. Also Goliath is going to be closed so I won't get to experience that amazing first drop fml.
    http://coastutah.com/forum/index.php

is a great resource for information on parks in the Inter-mountain West of the United States.
    • CommentAuthorBullero
    • CommentTimeJul 8th 2015 edited

@Coasterguy246: Phantasialand is great! Here are some tips from my visit in april. I'm not a regular there so no guarantees, but this is what I figured out:

- The three busiest rides on our day were the Winjas and Maus au Chocolat. The winjas are both excellent and exciting spinning coasters, maus au chocolat is a nice and fun shooting darkride.
    - Temple of The Nighthawk (dubbed as 'anticlimax the ride' by my friends) is an indoor coaster which is boring slow paced. Do it if you have the time, but its not worth a long wait.
    - Chiapas is great. Queueing as a singe rider will cut your wait time from more than an hour to less than 10 minutes (if you're willing to split up)
    - River Quest is awesome, but will get you SOAKED.

Have fun! They have very good rides there.

EDIT:
    Saw: The Ride reopened today, so jeah for that!
    •  
      CommentAuthoriSatnav
    • CommentTimeJul 28th 2015

I'm heading to Gardaland mid August (far from ideal, I know) and was looking for some tips. I know all of the basic stuff like "run to Oblivion" and "it gets busy in the afternoon". I'm after more obscure things that will help me get as many rides in as possible. I am there for two days and am not really willing to spend money on fastracks except for possibly Raptor and Oblivion.
    Thanks in advance.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKWTbolt
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2017

I'm planning a trip in early May to Dollywood with my wife. My greatest concern is whether all of the rides will be operating at this point in the season or not (I know the water park will still be closed). Also, what should I expect crowd-wise for a Sunday + Monday trip?
    •  
      CommentAuthorintim305

everything should be up and lines minimal (lines at dwood are never bad at all)^
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

^Except Lightning Rod cause it will never open.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

Lightning Rod will be open all day until you're next at the air gates for it, where it will then rollback and close for the rest of the day. Unfortunately this is unavoidable, and happens no matter what time you get there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKWTbolt

Yes LR is my greatest concern right now. Ironically that happened to me on Valravn last year (it actually closed several times while I was in line, including when I was standing in line for the front row. After about 3 hours of total wait time though (in what was originally a 45 min queue) I rode the darn thing. Very underwhelming ...

Anyways, thanks for the responses, haha. Any other trip advice for Dollywood is appreciated (food, nearby hotel deals, etc). We'll be looking for evening activities as well since the park closes early in May.
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

Get the Cinnamon Bread at the Grist Mill. It's heavenly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKWTbolt
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2017

Sounds delicious!
    •  
      CommentAuthorintim305
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2017

yea i went to dollywood 3 times last year for a total of 7 days at the park, never saw the ride move.

as for hotels I've stayed at the Comfort Inn @ Dollywood Lane a few times now, it works great. Not sure if they have any deals though...
    the best food in the area has got to go to Huck Finn's, its a catfish and fried chicken place just up the street from that hotel on the main road and boy is it good. I go there every time I'm in the area. (there's also a couple Marble Creamerys in the area, best ice cream). Any other restaurant you could want is probably somewhere in Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg.
    There are 4 alpine coasters (3 really since Ober Gatlinburg requires riding the gondola) in the area that usually stay open until 10ish if you want to do things after the park closes, lots of things on the strip too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKWTbolt
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2017

I'm planning a 1 day trip to Kings Island sometime this summer. Since I assume the lines will be fairly long even if I go on a weekday, I was also planning on purchasing a Fast Lane pass (possibly the Plus version). I have a question though; does this work like some where you have a specific time you have to ride, or can you enter any fast lane line at anytime as often as you'd like?
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

Fast Lanes are great because you can go on any ride, whenever you want, as many times as you want. Fantastic for marathoning rides.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBirdNerd
    • CommentTimeJul 10th 2017 edited

Next week I will be going to Lake Compounce for the very first time, assuming the weather is good in the near future, or sometime else this summer.
    I plan to be at the park for approximately five hours, starting when the park opens. Which order of rides should I go on to get the most out my visit?

Also, does anybody know an exact date when the Wildcat coaster will reopen? I really want it to count towards my 72nd-75th credit, with my 75th being Boulder Dash.
    At the time I am writing this I currently have ridden 71 coasters, so getting on the park's four major ones would be ideal. Thanks in advance!
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

Wildcat is supposed to open "early-mid July" according to the park but take that with a grain of salt. I doubt it will be open by next week. For Boulder Dash make sure you wait for the front row or the second row since it's the best there. They only run 1 train on Boulder Dash so try to get on it first so you can avoid waiting a long time for it later. Phobia shouldn't have a long wait, the back right seat is the best.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBirdNerd

Posted By: ParadoxWildcat is supposed to open "early-mid July" according to the park but take that with a grain of salt. I doubt it will be open by next week. For Boulder Dash make sure you wait for the front row or the second row since it's the best there. They only run 1 train on Boulder Dash so try to get on it first so you can avoid waiting a long time for it later. Phobia shouldn't have a long wait, the back right seat is the best.

Alrighty thanks, I tried emailing the park this morning to get an exact date for Wildcat's reopening but they haven't sent me anything quite yet. Thanks for your help otherwise, I will keep those seating locations on those two coasters in mind.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKWTbolt
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2017 edited

I would be blown away if they responded with a more specific date than what's been told to the GP (if they responded at all really). In response to what Paradox said, they were running two trains on Boulder Dash when I visited, but that was a few years ago. Are they having train maintenance issues or something that they'd only run one? Also, if you're there for such a sort period of time, I wouldn't bother with Zoomerang as it's the same Vekoma boomerang model as everywhere else. I understand your want for the credits, but if Wildcat is still closed, you're not going to get to #75 anyways.

If it were me visiting for those 5 hours (and Wildcat was closed), I'd ride Phobia once and then marathon Boulder Dash for as long as possible. Also, the back seat is excellent as well. It lacks the unhindered view of flying through the trees, but there are a few spots on the ride that I prefer the forces in the back. Hopefully you'll be able to ride enough times to make your own judgement. Enjoy!!

Edit: Thank you JAKool for the clarification on the Fast Lane pass. That somehow justifies the stupid-ridiculous price to me (just don't tell my wife).
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2017

Boulder Dash has been running 1 train for the past 2 years or so since the manager, Jerry Brick, does not want to run 2 trains as he feels it will do too much damage to the track despite having retracked much of it this year.

If you can, try to get a ride on Boulder Dash at night as it is infinitely better when you can't see anything.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKWTbolt

I'd like to write Jerry Brick a strongly worded letter then for ruining the guest experience for the sake of money ...
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

Yeah he's not the best at running the park considering how he chooses to operate Boulder Dash and suddenly closing the skyride because people are idiots, but it's the little thing the park does such as running the Wave Swinger so fast you pull (and sustain) positive G's that make up for it.
    Since I just found this thread I suppose I'll make use of it: I'm going to Busch Gardens Williamsburg for the first time (so excited!!!) on Sunday the 16th and Monday the 17th. Is there any insider knowledge I should be aware of? Best rides to hit first in the morning? How crowded would these days normally be and should I expect to have to buy a Quick Queue Pass if I want to ride all the coasters multiple times?
    I'll be going to Six Flags Magic Mountain for my first time in late July. I'll only have a day there so I'm getting Flash Pass Platinum, any suggestions?
    • CommentAuthorTheBeatles

**I have no knowledge of how the Flash Pass Works**

If you get to the park at opening, circle the park in a counter-clockwise fashion, starting in the Screampunk District. This will allow you to avoid most of the crowds until after noon.
    • CommentAuthorlore_sully
    • CommentTimeJul 11th 2017 edited

I would suggest to be there way before opening time (like one hour before) so you can be the first one entering the park when it opens. This will be particularly useful because you can run straight towards X2 when the gates open. If you'll buy the platinum flash pass you will not have problems on the other rides (considering also that you are allowed to do two consecutive rides on each attraction), but X2 is not included in the pass so it's better to do it at least one time without crowds. (Actually X2 can be added to the pass for like 20$ each ride, too expensive in my opinion).

I also suggest to buy the platinum pass online (if you are already sure you want to buy it) but to wait after your first ride of the day on X2, so you don't loose precious time in the first minutes of opening (when you're only tought should be to run and to arrive alive at X2 - i say alive because the route is quite hard and tiring since there is a pretty big slope).
    The procedure for the fast pass can take from 5 to 15 minutes, so it's better to wait after that first ride to collect it.