Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorR3 Studios
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2015 edited

While my other project, Livewire, is currently off with a friend for some scenery work as part of our 5-person collab, I decided to sit down and try out a recreation of some coaster. And for those who know me, Phantom's Revenge would be the obvious choice. And of course, tagging along with Phantom's Revenge has to be Thunderbolt! And from my search, there doesn't appear to be a finished/almost finished recreation of the two in Nolimits 2, so I thought I'd take a stab at it! There are a lot of shaping/banking issues still, I'm going for the general layout first, and then fine-tuning those issues.

Terrain was modeled in Sketchup, very helpful for this terrain-heavy recreation :)

"

I feel like the drop is still a bit shallow coming into the bottom, does it look ok?

"
    View from the "Potato Patch"
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2015

Looking good! You also need to resize your pictures. Do this by adding width="1000" after the source link.
    •  
      CommentAuthorR3 Studios
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2015

Whoops, sorry about that! Forgot to do it with this set of pictures.
    ^^ Wait, you don't have to put both the width and the height?! I've been wasting 5 seconds of my life with every image Dx
    •  
      CommentAuthorjpaufsc
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2015 edited

^Just by putting in the [width="1000"], the image scales to 1000 pixels wide and automatically scales the height by the original aspect ratio.
    ^ Yeah, I did guess that. I was just shocked that I hadn't worked it out before.
    •  
      CommentAuthorviking86
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2015 edited

Good luck, I hope you manage to pull it off well. Phantom's Revenge is one of the rides I really want to go on in real life!

Which version are you doing, before or after Morgan replaced the track from the top of the lift to the top of the second hill? There are some noteworthy shaping differences, particularly in the first drop.
    •  
      CommentAuthorR3 Studios
    • CommentTimeJun 13th 2015

Thanks! It's definitely a really underrated coaster!

I knew the track had been replaced after the 2008 season, but I actually didn't realize there were any noticeable shaping differences. First time I rode the Phantom was a couple years after the conversion (2011-12? can't remember exactly). It's easy to find reference pictures for the Morgan track (since it's currently installed), but are there any good places to see what the Arrow track was like? I'll go back and redo this section after I pick which manufacturer to do it in. Honestly didn't know there was a significant difference :o
    •  
      CommentAuthorviking86

Look up some onride videos on youtube and you'll see it. Particularly the transition at the bottom of the first drop is easy to spot the difference.
    • CommentAuthornSeven

Ever since I saw this coaster in a coffee table book in the 90s...I've secretly loved it. Though I've never ridden it, it just looks so friggen gorgeous.
    •  
      CommentAuthorR3 Studios
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2015

I've decided to work with the full Morgan track (post-2008), to keep the recreation more modern. More pics to come soon!