Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zPyeoFmkwg

New ride from Soaring Eagle Ziplines.
    Creator of the worlds fastest thrill ride?! I'd forgotten how much of an incredible success Ring Racer was.
    • CommentAuthornannerdw
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2015 edited

Does the swinging seat hoist the riders back up to the top at the end, so they can take the freefall back down?
    •  
      CommentAuthorride_op
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2015

So it's a twist on a sky coaster with optional freefall ride back to the ground after? Terrifying and neat!

-Ride_Op
    • CommentAuthorsprog

Well... That looks fun. Terrifying, but bloody good fun.
    Posted By: CrazycoasterI'd forgotten how much of an incredible success Ring Racer was.

The sarcasm, it hurts.... :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorggddffhh

That looks amazing. Pretty complicated way of
    Doing it though.
    Is the new part just the drop ride? The swingy ride already exists here (note: lots of swearing and screaming, lol).

I have to say though, that drop looked really intense. I think the sound accompanying it helps back that up.
    • CommentAuthorInkyz
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2015 edited

Nevermind.
    Posted By: Coasterfan312Is the new part just the drop ride? The swingy ride already existshere(note: lots of swearing and screaming, lol).

I have to say though, that drop looked really intense. I think the sound accompanying it helps back that up.

Yeah one already exists. This one they changed a few things in its operation. The drop ride is a new experience this model obviously is for parks that don't have a cliff to put it on. This one has a larger drop than the one that exists in Colorado.
    Posted By: ride_opSo it's a twist on a sky coaster with optional freefall ride back to the ground after? Terrifying and neat!

-Ride_Op

Stan Checketts i've been told is a big fan of Sky Coaster and at one time considered buying the company.
    ^^ It does? O.o That one's huge. But yeah, the concept makes sense.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2015 edited

Notice how they re-used the towers from their slingshot ride! Really cool concept.

The free-fall looks intense, makes me want a stand-alone S&S free-fall (not a Turbo Drop, that one is sluggish compared to a true free-fall). Or the Sonic Boom. A heck of a ride that Sonic Boom.
    I wish sonic boom was still around. I heard it was sold but never heard if it was was ever rebuilt. I rode sonic boom as much as I could.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2015

Videos of the Sonic Boom are unfortunately rare on Youtube, but here are two of them: Offride (Note that there was already a Sky Coaster, haha), and an awesome POV, I just love how the video is timed. x)
    ^ Well that looks scary as balls.
    • CommentAuthorInkyz

^ Then you must be terrified everytime you go to the bathroom
    ^ My bathroom doesn't go high up with a glass window all around and drop really fast. Lol.
    Either that was a terrible joke or I didn't get it :P
    No glass just metal mesh cage around you. It was a blast!!! Ya had to where ear plug when riding it because it had no mechanical brakes it was all stopped by the capsule falling into a tube and using air pressure to stop it.

The sky coaster has been removed. The new dive ride,s tower sits in the old flight line.
    ^ That sounds super unsafe.
    • CommentAuthorCCJared

Looks good, but Throughput would be dreadful! Up-charge it is then!
    •  
      CommentAuthordapalm

So what's up with these rides? I've never heard of them. Any background story?
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2015 edited

This was Celebration Centre. Basically the S&S factory's backyard, where some of their prototypes were open to the public back in the day (correct me if I'm wrong).
    Posted By: dapalmSo what's up with these rides? I've never heard of them. Any background story?

Posted By: KingRCT3This was Celebration Centre. Basically the S&S factory's backyard, where some of their prototypes were open to the public back in the day (correct me if I'm wrong).

Celebration Center is correct. It was an idea Stan Checketts had while owner of S&S Worldwide that is based in Logan, Utah. He owns land that is in a strong wind zone in the area and he first used this land to set up rides to test them in windy conditions. In 2007 construction started on Celebration Center on his land. The idea behind it was to set up some of his ride prototypes and let the public ride them. He built two go kart tracks on the land and bought a Sky Coaster. The rides it had was a Totally Insane Ride (that was the rides name it was later called Sky Sling when sold to parks). One was built at Cedar Point but was later torn down when Cedar Point didn't winterize it correctly and the winds bought down a tower. The cool thing about that ride was the seats on the first design were basically horse saddles with seat belts. Most people didn't find that safe so none were installed at parks with them and the seats were turned more in normal chairs with OTSR's (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDjqkf8YjuI) that link show one of these rides in action with the 2nd gen seats. He had one set up in Logan and 4 seats were the 2nd gen seats but two of them he kept the saddle seats and I got the chance to ride the saddle seats and it was best ride ever!

The other rides were the prototype of the screaming swing, it was okay, my opinion on screaming swings is that they are better the bigger they are. He had a prototype snowmobile dragster ride he thought up, it was okay. Then the Sonic Boom. Amazing ride designed by a mechanical engineering student working for S&S. It got its name https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3r35N9tcGgIfrom the loud boom it makes when it stops at the bottom. It was a 367 foot tower and the only reason he didn't go higher was he couldn't find a crane locally to go higher. It hit 100 mph and had a little bit of a rough landing but wasn't too bad. I rode it 3-4 times it was so much fun.

He had a sky Coaster as well as Stan Checketts loves that ride.

The park didn't do well and didn't last more than 1 year as it was a pay per ride and so nobody could stay there for long with out emptying their wallet. So it was a financial wreck, I heard it was losing 20,000 a month. So it was shut down and the building leased to a local business doing off road vehicles.

Stan still owns the land but doesn't own S&S anymore and started Soaring Eagle Ziplines a little while after selling S&S. They build some good ziplines that all load at the bottle so they are easier to operate. This new ride the Aerial Drop Ride uses two towers from the Sky Sling ride and they connected them to make an arch. Then built the tower from it on the old sky coaster flight line.

To learn more about it or if you are in the area they are doing test rides. Go to http://www.diveride.org

Posted By: Coasterfan312^ That sounds super unsafe.

Not really Stan would never open a ride he felt unsafe.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKingRCT3
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2015 edited

I knew you could provide us with more info Utah', thank you VERY much, this place always fascinated me. ;)

Back to the new ride... Well, it isn't one, it isn't two, but THREE rides in one! The Sky coaster, the Freefall and even a Sling shot!
    •  
      CommentAuthordapalm
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2015

So cool! Thanks for sharing the info, it's really an awesome idea. Sonic Boom looks amazing, love how simple are the seats.
    • CommentAuthorsprog
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2015

Damn, sonic boom looks insane. I'd have loved to give that a go.

Little bit off topic, but related to Ziplines - Went and did Zipworld Velocity in Snowdonia a few weeks ago with some mates... Face-first, superman position, 1.5km long zipline, topping out at ~70-80mph. Longest and fastest in the Northern Hemisphere, well worth the drive if you're ever in Wales!