Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorKG9
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2015 edited

Instead of making a new topic for every single ride I release, I figured it was about time I put in my own construction thread. I have a lot of Nolimits 2 projects behind me, but I also have a lot of them that are unreleased. So, when I release them, why not just put them all in this thread so that there isn't the constant hassle!

I go back to school on August 30th, as well as vacation for a week in August, so I am starting to realize that all of the rides I would like to release may not happen. I design new things every week (sometimes every day), and I get really excited and into the concepts of each ride. However, since it is summer and our time is limited, I've narrowed down some of the rides that I enjoy the most and will let you all choose three from this list of five; this does not mean I will only release three more rides this summer, it just means that these are the three everyone most wants to see completed!

1. Augur - a B&M Wing Coaster based on the idea of gold (Au), but also an augur, a spiritual person who interprets things through bird patterns and movements (it's a wing coaster, get it).

photo Augur_zpsm2bb6m9q.jpg

2. Cloud9 - a collision of B&M and Intamin Giga coasters that melds the favorite elements of both into one massive, yet fast, ride.

photo Cloud 9_zpsg09lyhkx.jpg

3. Libertas - a B&M Hyper Coaster that was inspired by New York City, the Statue of Liberty standing in the harbor, and the Roman goddess of liberty and freedom.

photo Libertas_zpsnphtgtay.jpg

4. Trail Hawk - a B&M Flying Coaster that came out of looking at Jeeps with my family. The "Trail Hawk" model of Jeep Cherokees jumped into my mind as a flying coaster instead of a car.

photo Trail Hawk_zpsbre1mm55.jpg

5. Vitis - a classic B&M Inverted coaster that comes out of the idea of a vineyard and forest gone wrong.

photo Vitis_zpspxij5gll.jpg

Well, there you have it. Take your pick of what you would like to see and I will get to work! Almost all of them are completed, all of them are done by hand/without the help of any additional software, and 4/5 are custom supported. I have been trying to challenge myself more and more (these images are a test to that), and I hope that you pick some winners!

- KG
    • CommentAuthorlujach92
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2015 edited

Hard to tell which coasters are the most interesting since we can't see much of the layout, but judgeing from the pictures above and from your descriptions I would vote for Cloud9 and Vitis.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKG9
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2015 edited

I am thinking this one is a must...

photo poster-2015-07-20-14-27-40_zpsbqnf9oie.jpg

photo poster-2015-07-20-14-30-26_zps0v88vynv.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2015

Oh I like that layout a lot. You are really good at building rides around terrain.
    That shaping... fantastic :o Really like the layout :D
    •  
      CommentAuthorKG9
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2015

Posted By: ParadoxOh I like that layout a lot. You are really good at building rides around terrain.

I actually start the rides on flat terrain, raise the height to what I want, and then just terraform around them!

Posted By: DerMuffinMakerThat shaping... fantastic :o Really like the layout :D

All of the drops and airtime hills are done by hand; they are NOT depumped. They ride really well in my opinion. Only the valleys and turns are depumped, but again, all of the hills are by hand.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeJul 21st 2015

That ampersand looks beautiful, awesome job.
    • CommentAuthorBrawly

Nice Apollo's Chariot recreation

Jk, everything looks really nice, the shaping looks nice and the terrainwork meshes very nicely with the track. Can't wait to see this further developed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKG9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCLFzcMxo-M - copy and paste that into your internet provider!
    Pretty neat... And its not depumped, thumbs up :D
    • CommentAuthorBrawly
    • CommentTimeJul 22nd 2015

That transition into the flat turn.. just like Apollo's (I can see where you got your motivation) and it feels incredible. Nice work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorbaadrix

While the shaping and the transitions in general look pretty good you can clearly see the pumps (notice how the radius changes at 0:06 just after changing the direction from up to down, at 0:12 going down the drop and at 0:17 at what appears to be the first drop when transitioning to the 0 g part). Take a look at the rails and you'll see what I mean.
    Try to work with the radius comb enabled and don't be afraid to depump where necessary (the more vertices you have the less the shaping gets changed afterwards).

Other than that, I really like the layout you've shown us so far. Keep at it! :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorKG9

Posted By: baadrixWhile the shaping and the transitions in general look pretty good you can clearly see the pumps (notice how the radius changes at 0:06 just after changing the direction from up to down, at 0:12 going down the drop and at 0:17 at what appears to be the first drop when transitioning to the 0 g part). Take a look at the rails and you'll see what I mean.
    Try to work with the radius comb enabled and don't be afraid to depump where necessary (the more vertices you have the less the shaping gets changed afterwards).

Other than that, I really like the layout you've shown us so far. Keep at it! :)

Yes, some shaping needs to be adjusted, but that video was a test to see how it rode on video vs. in game. It does have some tiny kinks here and there, but I should be able to fix them no problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6XG03YRatTU - Cloud9

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2vqUoSPn8g - Vitis

I am thinking Vitis is coming first since it is about 95% done.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKG9
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2015

photo poster-2015-07-22-20-14-02_zpsk732veoe.jpg

photo poster-2015-07-22-20-31-03_zps8py1f70b.jpg

photo poster-2015-07-22-19-55-24_zpsnbaaxtax.jpg

Things are coming along...may post some exclusive stuff on the first one later tonight if you stick around!
    • CommentAuthorlujach92
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2015

I really like your color schemes!
    •  
      CommentAuthorKG9
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2015

I have started recording the video for Vitis and am loving the results. The video will be very silly in a tongue-in-cheek kind of way as it will feature two iconic "grape stomping" videos. The idea behind Vitis is a grapevine run amok, so why not include some humor in there as well?

If you can name BOTH of these "grape stomping" videos that I have hinted to, I will give you a dropbox link to Vitis so you may ride it early!

I am missing one final element in this shot below, but that will change come Sunday/Monday!

photo poster-2015-07-22-20-24-55_zps0vbitpfd.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthorKG9
    • CommentTimeJul 30th 2015

Two announcements:

1. Vitis is *hopefully* coming by this Saturday. I am waiting on something from Blase Rhine to finish up the ride atmosphere (not telling what that is...), and after that I will have the green light for release. I cannot wait for you all to experience Vitis for yourselves, as well as watch the video! It is about six minutes long, but it goes by very quickly; it is one of the most dynamic, humorous videos I have ever done. I love it.

I also was not going to show you Vitis until it was released, but since it is almost time, here is a sneak peek at the trains:

photo poster-2015-07-29-21-50-40_zpspbvkillx.jpg

2. I guess I can announce that the hyper coaster everyone seems to be excited and anxious for is actually going to be a dual effort. Concept, design, and track work was all done by me while scenery and custom objects will be done by the amazing n7/nSeven! He jumped at the opportunity when I asked him and is excited to put his ideas forward into a ride that represents a lot for me.

I decided to name the ride Clean long before I knew what it was. It went through multiple layout and designs before I finally realized what it was a couple of weeks ago. I will explain more about Clean later, but for now, n7 is working on the other aspect of the ride while everything from my end is done; it is out of my hands for now!

photo poster-2015-07-20-14-38-25_zps7esf0xha.jpg

More to come soon!
     photo KG handwriting_zpspshghjxr.png
    •  
      CommentAuthorKG9
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2015 edited

VITIS TO BE RELEASED AUGUST 4, 2015

photo Vitis 1_zpsswizrxzy.png

A lot has changed since that photo, but do not worry, it is going to be good.
    •  
      CommentAuthornolimiters
    • CommentTimeJul 31st 2015

I like the looks of your B&M Hyper.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKG9
    • CommentTimeAug 4th 2015

photo Vitis Final 6_zpst3lxsl6k.png

Vitis is here! Inspired by a grapevine run amok, Vitis is a twisting steel mass that harkens back to classic B&M Inverted designs circa late 1990s/early 2000s. Everything on this ride was done by hand *except* for the first loop; it really does feel like Raptor, Great Bear, Alpengeist, and Talon all combined into one forceful, fun ride.

I hope you all enjoy Vitis as much as I did making it. It took a couple of months, but I am very proud of the work that has been accomplished. Big thanks to Blase Rhine and his assistants for making the fantastic entrance gate and queue line covers! When I initially reached out to him, I only asked him to make me a ride sign that looked like GateKeeper's or something, but the gate was above and beyond anything I expected. Also, thanks to Bye Tom for his pathways as they are amazing to work with; very easy and they look amazing.

One more thanks goes out to TallonD83 for his template for the inverted train colors. He readily sent it to me for my use, and the trains all turned out like Raptor/Great Bear colorings. Fun fact: each train has a different color grape on the second car: red grape, green grape, and black grape. Three trains and three different grapes!

Well, that's all folks. Ride, download (coming later today), and rate/comment below! Cloud9 is next on the agenda, and then maybe one more before I go back to school...Who knows? ;)

photo poster-2015-08-02-23-16-38_zps0ucp9s1q.jpg

photo Vitis Final 3_zpsojwmmpxp.png

photo Vitis Final 4_zpsfqvhdkyg.png

photo Vitis Final 2_zpsle4tvfnq.png

photo Vitis Final 1 _zpsgnyre8i3.png

photo Vitis Stats_zpsdhlwqzvo.png

Offride - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDR6nryWdZw

POV - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Xs_oHZf5U0

Download coming soon!
    •  
      CommentAuthorKG9
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2015

Vitis is live! Download here! - http://nolimits-exchange.com/coaster/vitis/9047

Also, since it is Lucille Ball's birthday today, paying tribute to one of her most iconic scenes in the video for Vitis is a privilege. Be sure to watch that before you download Vitis to get a feel for what is in store!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDR6nryWdZw
    •  
      CommentAuthorKG9
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2015

So, while we wait for Cloud9 to be finished up, I have already started in on another project that I have become obsessed with. I am not giving out the name yet, or the full layout, but here are some teaser shots:

photo poster-2015-08-09-20-54-08_zpsyb26o4ar.jpg

photo poster-2015-08-09-20-48-44_zpssx37cjcq.jpg

photo poster-2015-08-09-20-51-05_zpsb1vwxmil.jpg

photo poster-2015-08-09-20-56-35_zpsfi6cscrg.jpg

I consider it to be an experimental B&M...also not revealing what type of B&M.

I am posting these pictures too because I am in search of someone to do some 3DS custom scenery/stuff for me. I have ZERO experience with any of that software or programming, and I would love if someone would be willing to assist with this project. If you would like to message/email me to know more about the ride, you may do so via griffonj2022@aol.com. I am heading in this direction with the ride:

photo flying_machine_png_by_mysticmorning-d49qiy3_zps6oqipfdg.png

Modern steampunk machine run amok? I really like things running amok, don't I?

Hope to hear from someone who would love to help me!
    That looks awesome :D
    I like Steampunk too so that should be cool.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKG9
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2015 edited

photo Confident_zpsdm6ud3i6.jpg
    ^Holy shit that looks good...
    •  
      CommentAuthorintim305
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2015

your photoshop is life
    •  
      CommentAuthorKG9
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2015

I'm pretty confident in this one, so I named it CONFIDENT.

I am also going back to school tomorrow and will not have access to NL2. So, as a distraction from school, every week I will be releasing one screenshot from unreleased rides. That way, even though I am "gone", I technically still have something to give all of you!
    •  
      CommentAuthorKG9
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2015

Monday Fun-day! I will release a screenshot once a week while at school, and Monday will be the day to brighten up the (sometimes) hardest day of the week.

We will start off with Serendipity, a Gatekeeper-esque Wing Coaster that I wanted to release this year, but will be released whenever it is completed.

photo Serendipity 1_zpsfhiofnfc.png
    • CommentAuthornSeven
    • CommentTimeSep 1st 2015

Your colors...OMG - would never have thought to use that but it's so sharp.

Don't worry about going back to school, I'll take good care of Clean!
    •  
      CommentAuthorKG9
    • CommentTimeSep 6th 2015

This very rough concept of Ultraviolence was intended to go into a later part of KG X NL2. However, the reactions to PART I were mixed, so I decided to discontinue the long project. Ultraviolence was one of the first rides I designed for the project and was meant to go into PART III had it been released. Looking back on it now, it's a little too intense, but at least you can see where things began in NL2 for me a year and a half ago!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZyTHjrZzAc
    •  
      CommentAuthorKG9
    • CommentTimeSep 8th 2015

Since it's Labor Day (congrats to all of those who "labor"), I am showing you not one, not two, but three screenshots this week! One is edited, and then other two are not; the edited one is fairly obvious.

The first one is Libertas, one of the rides that I considered releasing this summer. It is a modern B&M hyper coaster that, I think, hits about 230 ft. before going down and into one of it's many airtime hills. Here is the first drop:

photo poster-2015-08-29-20-57-44_zpsxlvgixjt.png

The second image is a B&M invert that I think I designed last year, but I really can't remember. I'm posting it because the drop looks oddly familiar, doesn't it?

photo poster-2015-08-29-21-28-46_zpsiyinw6sk.png

Vitis' drop is almost a mirror image! I knew that drop flowed too easily when I designed it...

photo poster-2015-07-22-20-14-02_zpsk732veoe.jpg

Finally, the last shot is of Confident, an in-the-works dive machine.

photo Confident 2_zpsvrpdym5f.png

Tune in next week for the next screenshot!
    • CommentAuthorInkyz

I love the look of Confident but that turn seems reallyyyyyyyyyyyy big.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKG9

You are right, it is reallyyyyyyyyyyyy big. It only takes a few seconds to complete though because you're traveling through it around 55-60 mph. :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorKG9
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2015

Cloud9 prior to completion:

photo poster-2015-08-29-20-30-18_zpsesaamv9a.jpg

Lots o supports!
    If it weren't for the background that picture could be real.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKG9
    • CommentTimeSep 21st 2015

Clean is now in the hands of n7, but here is my end of the ride:

photo poster-2015-08-29-21-43-47_zpsizy4l8zf.jpg
    Looks good :)

Also nseven how many coasters do you have to make them Fabulous xD
    •  
      CommentAuthorKG9
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2015

An in-progress shot of inBlue, an Intamin hyper coaster that in essentially SkyRush minus the winged seats.

photo poster-2015-08-29-21-15-34_zpsu09ih3vx.jpg

I guess I really like the color blue, right? Cloud9, Clean, inBlue... :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorMorganFan
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2015

Wow. Those colors are really intense. I like it!
    •  
      CommentAuthorKG9
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2015

While Monday has already passed and I forgot to upload a screenshot (oops. October is a hell of a month for me), I promise I will upload some cool ones for Columbus Day.

Also, while staring at these screenshots by COASTERGUY246 and another edited by nSeven, I realized what a concept in my head was going to be. The name "ICONIC" has been in my head for a couple of weeks, and I struggled with what the ride would be. A dive machine? I already have CONFIDENT. A hyper? Too similar to Cloud9. But, what about a strata coaster?

photo Iconic Idea 2_zpsphsnmzjf.png

photo Iconic idea_zpshxsvmzpg.png

Again, these images are published by COASTERGUY246 and one edited by nSeven. I just saw them as inspiration ideas for ICONIC, and I wanted to put a logo on the images to give you all a sense of how my thought process works. I see images, such as these ones, pop into my head; from there, I run with it. Red track instead of grey, deep red or black supports, grey cars...ICONIC is a long time in the making, but here's to the start of it... :)
    As good as your rides look, I think your names sound a bit over the top.

If Apple had a theme park, I would expect rides with these types of names to be there: Confident, Iconic, Gorgeous, Photogenic, Unforgettable, Innovative. They're just weird names for rides.

The rides themselves look wonderful, the names just rub me the wrong way.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool

I don't see anything wrong with him having abstract names, it's just his style.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAJClarke0912
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2015 edited

Posted By: KG9I see images, such as these ones, pop into my head; from there, I run with it.

I'm gonna piggy-back on TheBeatles here for naming suggestions. Nothing personal, but the names are kind-of funny and/or pretentious. Believe it or not, I think exactly like you and like to tie words to images as you are doing now. But instead, I sort of add them to my "word bank", and when I get enough words, I try to piece together a real name out of those. Right now you have an adjective just hanging out there with no noun to attach it to. Iconic... what.

So perhaps instead of "ICONIC", try and find something that is iconic, or maybe even alludes to "being iconic" in a different way.

The cheap way out of this that I've seen countless times is to literally copy/paste the word ("iconic") into Google translate and flip through languages to find one that sounds cool. Please don't do this - I've done it in the past and it's just as cliched and weird but to native speakers instead lol. However, if you want to use another language, perhaps try to find something iconic of that culture and adapt it to your ride.

An example I did was Ivory Tower, which symbolized multiple things, but had an inherently pretentious name. The name described the coaster directly, being a "tower" of white/ivory track snaking down, but it also matched the music album of the same name that inspired me to create it. Metaphorically though, it was about designing an aloof coaster that only us weird coaster nerds would appreciate. The idea was that in real life, the ride itself would kind-of be deemed as a mediocre funfair ride by the general public, yet on these forums people really enjoyed the technical and aesthetically unique aspects of it. To me, that's the definition of the name - "Ivory Tower" is a term that has been used to designate an environment of intellectual pursuit disconnected from the practical concerns of everyday life. (I feel like that's often what we do on this forum when hardcore critiquing the shape of someone's 2000's-era Intamin.)
    I swear I'm not normally so hilariously edgy/deep but the name came to me and matched up with so many concepts. I couldn't pass it up when I was trying to find a name.

Yet it worked because it wasn't just a floating adjective, it was a term/thing. People like things, not random adjectives lol. Perhaps try that approach for your future rides since you like taking these artistic angles.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKG9

Thanks for the feedback guys! When bouncing around ideas, I usually get names or images for things such as the ideas I just posted above. Keep in mind though that these are rough ideas, and the name may not stay the same. I just thought that the name "ICONIC" would work with an image that is SO iconic to many, yet there could be something about it that is different within my design (it's in my head at the moment). Strata coasters look almost identical (Dragster, Kingda Ka), and much like how Millennium Force's first hill has become such an iconic image, the tower of a strata coaster is iconic as well. Therefore, the name "Iconic" is sort of ironic, having this tower of a ride naming itself "Iconic", yet is has been seen before.

I'm not here to just pull names out of a hat or bring in ideas that are bland. I would never name something what I choose because it "sounds good" either. Again, this is such a rough concept that the name may change...Vitis' name changed around a couple times, so did Cloud9. Cloud9 was originally going to be called SkyFall and was inspired by the movie. But, when I was listening to a song and the lyrics included the words "cloud nine", it hit me that that was what the real concept was. So, the name "ICONIC" may not be permanent, but I think that the concept that I have is interesting and I will see where it takes me.

Thanks again for the feedback!
    Yeah we're just nitpicking here really, but I thought it would be worth mentioning. For what it's worth, I still enjoy your videos since you really put the effort into them. :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorKG9
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2015

Haha I don't mind the nitpicking! In fact, it helps me analyze my own ideas and how people can perceive them. It's good to test the temperature before going forward, so thank you.

And thanks again for the video comment! It is a lot of work, but I hope my themes translate through the screen for you and others.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKG9
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2015

Hello everyone! It has been awhile...

October is the most difficult month for me because academics, athletics, and extra-curriculars collide, so I have been pretty negligent on uploading some new content. However, that's going to change. Here are nine new images of rides you have / have not seen, but they are some of my favorites!

1. Augur - the first wing coaster to feature a cobra roll (and yes, it does pass the clearance test...G's are pretty good too)

photo poster-2015-08-29-13-29-00_zpsiqoymars.jpg

2. Trail Hawk - my first attempt at a flying coaster. It think of it as a "baby flyer" because of it's size, but don't let that deceive you.

photo poster-2015-08-29-14-53-15_zpsumoqfguh.jpg

3. Libertas - a massive helix leading up into a mid course brake run. This was the first "image" I saw in my head when I started about designing this ride.

photo poster-2015-08-29-21-01-08_zpsbdg9lns3.jpg

4. InBlue - again, while still under construction, this is just a little teaser to see what she does.

photo poster-2015-08-29-21-21-39_zpspyimm7tc.jpg

5. Serendipity - soaring out of a massive loop, Serendipity pulls a B&M giga move with a big flat turn that pulls some intense G's before diving back to the ground again. Still under construction, so ignore the fact that your legs would be cut off when you hit the ground!

photo poster-2015-08-29-13-59-21_zpsa0pxkzkv.jpg

6. Machina (pronounced mach-in-ah) - the first inversion, a dive loop, coming out of the first drop. I have not shown much of this ride, but it is something that is in the works with a couple of collaborators. ;)

photo poster-2015-08-29-15-09-06_zpsogzmadoc.jpg

7. CONFIDENT - this is a big dive machine...I mean BIG. What's wrong with being confident?

photo poster-2015-08-29-16-06-55_zpsnwbwvmus.jpg

8 + 9. Cloud 9 - These are two images that just really represent what this ride is: tall, fast, and full of excitement. Everywhere you look you see something eye-catching, and I cannot wait for you all to ride it soon!

photo poster-2015-08-29-20-46-10_zps5een5ll7.jpg

photo poster-2015-08-29-20-34-37_zpsdleiyixt.jpg

I hope that you all enjoy the images, and have a great rest of the week!

- KG
    •  
      CommentAuthornolimiters

A lot of B&M's, but looking good.
    And you need to adjust the rail-connector sizes of the Hyper.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKG9

These images were taken before the newest version came out, so that was not an option at that time. I will take that into consideration when I go back into the game and work on things. And yes, I feel most comfortable with B&M's, but I have ideas for wooden and Gerstlauer rides in my brain, so those will be coming eventually!
    •  
      CommentAuthorParadox

Posted By: KG9
    What's wrong with being confident?

hehe I got the reference