Not signed in (Sign In)

Discussion Tag Cloud

Categories

Vanilla 1.1.9 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

The idea of Meson has been around for a bit of time now, I've always wanted to do this kind of concept of what Bolliger and Mabillard would do if they wanted to design a Invertigo type of ride. This concept took a long time to configure and work around. With many layout possibilities to design, but only one of them finally working.

The first concept of the ride was that the ride first went through an Immelmann Loop, then into a traditional Loop, and then went into a Cobra Roll. This concept didn't work immediately from the Cobra Roll speeds.

The second concept of the ride was to remove the Cobra Roll and impliment a special element that I've used on  some of my rides before. Mostly Gerstlauer, but I also removed it due to speed issues.

The third concept, and final concept was to completely scrap the entire layout, and start from the beginning. I first started with the Crossover Batwing featured on the Banshee roller coaster at Kings Island. Then I added a Zero-G roll beyond that, and then it goes into the lift. This layout completely worked out.

I named is Meson because one quark means forward, and one antiquark means backwards. It worked out for me at least. I think others will get the concept, but It's a fun name. It was originally called Pentaquark when I was working on the other layouts.

• Bolliger and Mabillard Inverted Face-to-Face (V-style/Staggered seating arrangement)

• Two 139ft Lift hills

• 1487ft of Track

• 4.3 Max G's (Sustained for less than half a second)

• Max speed of 55mph

• 3 Inversions (Crossover Batwing & Zero-G Roll

All elements are still a heavy WIP Length of track will still be subject to change, along with max g-force
    I would personally try to lessen the footprint. Try making a sweeping curve into the zero G, so that the spike meets the other one.
    If you lessen the footprint, you could have a right hand curve similar to the one after Talon's Immelmann that leads into the Zero-G and then leads into the spike, where the spikes could meet. I like the concept and the elements look pretty decent already!
    •  
      CommentAuthorskyasaurus
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2015

just a thought...your zero-g isn't going to be a zero-g for the return trip. if you replace it with a large corkscrew that goes over the station you'll solve both the force problems and the footprint problems.
    ^ No reason it couldn't be zero-g both ways when there is a lift on both spikes (with the station lift being slightly taller), just means the forces through the batwing will be slightly different.

I'd agree with the comments about the footprint though, if you're looking to make this ride realistic and feasible for your average park.
    Posted By: TheDarkStarI would personally try to lessen the footprint. Try making a sweeping curve into the zero G, so that the spike meets the other one.

Posted By: skyasaurusjust a thought...your zero-g isn't going to be a zero-g for the return trip. if you replace it with a large corkscrew that goes over the station you'll solve both the force problems and the footprint problems.

It actually does sound like a nice idea to have a corkscrew like that. I may try it out if I am not a fan of the first change.
    yeah, that's what I meant. I quite like it, but you could maybe continue the roll instead of it rotating the other way.
    I had tried rolling it continuously and it didn't seem right so I let it rotate the other way and it seems like a better ride that way.
    •  
      CommentAuthorUncleArly
    • CommentTimeJul 20th 2015

I like it currently. More of a 'surprise'.
    Update 1: Additions, and changes

--------------

After some review, an obvious change was made where after the Crossover Batwing, the ride continues to curve to allow a smaller footprint. This change has already been noted and a lot of you are enjoying the new version, and so am I.

With that said, I've also been working on a few changes as well, mainly with the Zero-G, but a few edits have been done to the Batwing.

For the Zero-G...

The Zero-G has been a tiny bit of problem, mainly on the Horizontal forces. After I did a lot of test and checking the G-forces, the back left seats were experiencing almost 1.5 to 2.5 of positive Horizontal Forces. This is obviously very bad, and thus has been worked, and repaired. The update made the entrance to the Zero-g a little less steep, and allowed the Zero-G to be leveled out (Unlike before where the top of it was when it was beginning to go down hill again.) Of course, it is still crooked slightly, but I am still editing it, and this should fix its self over time.

Other than that, The Zero-G is longer than it was before (Rotation wise) The length of the zero-g hasn't changed. The current forces are now ending at 1G (Horizontal) on the same seat.

Finally, for the Batwing...

The exit of the batwing was edited to allow for a smoother change of forces... before, when the ride exited the element going forwards, the g-forces would go from 4.3 to 0 (vertical) in about 2 seconds. Which is quite rough if anything, now the forces were a bit evened out, to allow a gradual, more smoother change that will be more comfortable to enjoy.

Other than the elements, you can see that I am messing around with supports. They are temporary, and mainly just to see what can be done in the future of the ride.
    Here is a first look at the ideal seat design I am going for, for this ride! (These are CodeMaster's B&M Seats.

• CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2015

That seems really impractical. Plus, isn't one of the charms of face-to-faces so you can see your friends?
    How will this set up not seem practical? It pretty much holds mostly the same space as a regular Invert. Probably longer since It has to have 4 seats that are back to back against each other.

And most of the time, unless you have 4 people, you really won't be paired up with friends facing you in the first place.
    • CommentAuthorJAKool
    • CommentTimeJul 23rd 2015

It seems like it would mess up loading times. People already get confused when loading onto GIBs, how do you think they'd react to this? It just doesn't seem like there's a point to having the staggered seating.
    The same can be said for the staggered seating on real B&Ms. Do whatever you want really, this is nl2 not real life.
    I personally don't think it'd be too much of an issue in terms of loading.